Johns Hopkins 2023

D1 Mens Lacrosse
primitiveskills

Re: Johns Hopkins 2023

Post by primitiveskills »

Sorry to see it end, but what a great year. Lots of great players and performances, but most of all, Hopkins lacrosse is fun to watch again. Can't wait until fall ball!
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

primitiveskills wrote: Sun May 21, 2023 6:13 pm Sorry to see it end, but what a great year. Lots of great players and performances, but most of all, Hopkins lacrosse is fun to watch again. Can't wait until fall ball!
+1

Lots of room to grow. But a good foundation. Thanks to everyone except Sag A for a fun year
nyjay

Post by nyjay »

HopFan16 wrote: Sun May 21, 2023 6:18 pm
primitiveskills wrote: Sun May 21, 2023 6:13 pm Sorry to see it end, but what a great year. Lots of great players and performances, but most of all, Hopkins lacrosse is fun to watch again. Can't wait until fall ball!
+1

Lots of room to grow. But a good foundation. Thanks to everyone except Sag A for a fun year
Agree. Great year for the Jays. Well exceeded my expectations. Getting things moving in the right direction was going to be one of the hardest parts of getting the program back to where it needs to be. And that first step was more than accomplished this year. This year's (ahead of schedule) success makes the next steps much easier. Have to imagine recruiting will be easier now that we're back in the mix. And while recruiting has actually been pretty good (that is a really deep team), what they need to get over the top are the true difference makers, which we're missing on offense at this point.

Always hard to lose in the quarterfinals, but hard to be disappointed with this season.

Nice to have forum to be able to talk Jays year round. A lot of really good and thoughtful commentary here, as well as news breaking that you don't find anywhere else. QK et al may poke fun at us once in while, and we deserve it in a lot of ways, but there's no better place available to learn and talk about the team.
NNELax

Post by NNELax »

I'm shocked the Hopkins 2024 thread doesn't have multiple pages by now....
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

nyjay wrote: Sun May 21, 2023 6:55 pm Getting things moving in the right direction was going to be one of the hardest parts of getting the program back to where it needs to be. And that first step was more than accomplished this year.
It was like digging a shipwreck out from the bottom of the ocean. The hardest part is over. Jays have refurbished the ship and open seas ahead.

Please excuse the bad metaphor — I'm reading "The Wager" by David Grann and it's phenomenal, highly recommend.
flalax22

Post by flalax22 »

NNELax wrote: Sun May 21, 2023 6:59 pm I'm shocked the Hopkins 2024 thread doesn't have multiple pages by now....
It will by days end
flalax22

Post by flalax22 »

+1

I had this team at 3-4 wins at the start of the season. The Crawley effect, transfers and emerging freshmen have put this program on the right track. Full marks to Milliman.

I do think that the program is still lacking on the administrative side. Poor planning around grad set up at Homewood and end of semester evictions of the freshmen and sophomore from the dorms weren’t planned for and were unnecessary distractions. I don’t know if they need a new DOLO but something has to give there given every year administratively they seem unprepared for known events.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

flalax22 wrote: Sun May 21, 2023 7:44 pm
+1

I had this team at 3-4 wins at the start of the season. The Crawley effect, transfers and emerging freshmen have put this program on the right track. Full marks to Milliman.

I do think that the program is still lacking on the administrative side. Poor planning around grad set up at Homewood and end of semester evictions of the freshmen and sophomore from the dorms weren’t planned for and were unnecessary distractions. I don’t know if they need a new DOLO but something has to give there given every year administratively they seem unprepared for known events.
They got kicked out of their dorms?!?

That is totally screwed up.

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister
flalax22

Post by flalax22 »

DocBarrister wrote: Sun May 21, 2023 7:47 pm
+1

DocBarrister
What I was told was the semester was over and they had to move out of the dorms abruptly when they all expected that they had extensions. That they were scrambling to find them places to stay. Apparently there were some angry parents.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

flalax22 wrote: Sun May 21, 2023 8:05 pm
DocBarrister wrote: Sun May 21, 2023 7:47 pm
+1

DocBarrister
What I was told was the semester was over and they had to move out of the dorms abruptly when they all expected that they had extensions. That they were scrambling to find them places to stay. Apparently there were some angry parents.
That is some truly amateur-hour sh*t.

DocBarrister :?
@DocBarrister
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

flalax22 wrote: Sun May 21, 2023 8:05 pm What I was told was the semester was over and they had to move out of the dorms abruptly when they all expected that they had extensions. That they were scrambling to find them places to stay. Apparently there were some angry parents.
Why would they expect dorm extensions when those don't exist? There's no such thing. The dorms close on a certain day and everyone has to be out by then. It's been like that since time immemorial. The building staff goes home for the summer and the doors lock behind them. Alternative arrangements should have been planned but the move-out absolutely should not have caught anyone off guard.
flalax22

Post by flalax22 »

HopFan16 wrote: Sun May 21, 2023 8:25 pm
flalax22 wrote: Sun May 21, 2023 8:05 pm What I was told was the semester was over and they had to move out of the dorms abruptly when they all expected that they had extensions. That they were scrambling to find them places to stay. Apparently there were some angry parents.
Why would they expect dorm extensions when those don't exist? There's no such thing. The dorms close on a certain day and everyone has to be out by then. It's been like that since time immemorial. The building staff goes home for the summer and the doors lock behind them. Alternative arrangements should have been planned but the move-out absolutely should not have caught anyone off guard.
If that’s the way it has been since time immemorial how did that get missed? I initially put that on PM given he’s the captain of the ship but that’s exactly what a DOLO is for.
flalax22

Post by flalax22 »

NNELax wrote: Sun May 21, 2023 6:59 pm I'm shocked the Hopkins 2024 thread doesn't have multiple pages by now....
It didn’t take very long. Page 2 now. We may have 5 by end of day
Hoponboard

Post by Hoponboard »

Unranked before the season and largely written off due to a difficult schedule, the Jays developed in ways that surprised all of us.

To finish 6th ranked is a great achievement for which we thank the coaches, grad students, transfers and upper/lower classmen.
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

Hoponboard wrote: Sun May 21, 2023 9:09 pm Unranked before the season and largely written off due to a difficult schedule, the Jays developed in ways that surprised all of us.

To finish 6th ranked is a great achievement for which we thank the coaches, grad students, transfers and upper/lower classmen.
+1.
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

Time immemorial??? Maybe within recent memory
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

HopFan16 wrote: Sun May 21, 2023 8:25 pm
When I was there some lacrosse players including freshmen got preference in housing and lived at mccoy and wolman which had longer leases or even the other building which was something other than the now torn down ivy. It's not news that the spring sports have championship competitions that go past finals and that the kids need housing through the end of the month. I remember for a fact the university making accommodations even for things like separate graduation ceremonies involving President Brody for kids who had competitions that precluded them from walking with their classmates.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

DocBarrister wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 8:06 pm
HappyGilmore wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 8:01 pm
HopFan16 wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 7:44 pm DocB being the one to start this thread is a bad omen. Not a great start to the offseason
Going to be a great off season. PM and Jr. are going to get “their” guys in. The offense is going to be awesome next year. Can’t wait!!!
Transfer season started a few minutes ago. Milliman needs to win the transfer season.

DocBarrister
In retrospect, he did.

DocBarrister :)
@DocBarrister
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

DocBarrister wrote: Mon May 22, 2023 12:03 am
HopFan16 wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 7:44 pm DocB being the one to start this thread is a bad omen. Not a great start to the offseason
Going to be a great off season. PM and Jr. are going to get “their” guys in. The offense is going to be awesome next year. Can’t wait!!!
Transfer season started a few minutes ago. Milliman needs to win the transfer season.

DocBarrister
In retrospect, he did.

the goalie didn't make a difference. they needed more offensive horses although HF16 is probably going to fire back with some injury reports or nonsense about how 60 goals from 6 guys combined is really better than it looks.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

jhu06 wrote: Mon May 22, 2023 12:11 am
DocBarrister wrote: Mon May 22, 2023 12:03 am

DocBarrister
In retrospect, he did.

the goalie didn't make a difference. they needed more offensive horses although HF16 is probably going to fire back with some injury reports or nonsense about how 60 goals from 6 guys combined is really better than it looks.
Caracciolo played a big role in the Michigan victory, which turned out to be a big win for us.

Melendez was arguably our best offensive player.

Mazzone was arguably our best defensive player.

DocBarrister :?
@DocBarrister

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”