Big Ten 2023

D1 Mens Lacrosse

Re: Big Ten 2023

Post by 1766 »

BigTom5 wrote: Sat May 20, 2023 4:58 pm
1766 wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 12:33 pm The Big Ten has the opportunity to make it's case as clearly the best conference in the land.
This just in, it’s not…
Premature evaluation
JHU69

Post by JHU69 »

1766 wrote: Sat May 20, 2023 6:11 pm
1766 wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 12:33 pm The Big Ten has the opportunity to make it's case as clearly the best conference in the land.
This just in, it’s not…
Premature evaluation
I hate it when that happens :oops:
I believe that if life gives you lemons, you should make lemonade... And try to find somebody whose life has given them vodka, and have a party.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

JHU69 wrote: Sat May 20, 2023 11:19 pm
This just in, it’s not…
Premature evaluation
I hate it when that happens :oops:
Do you hate it when the guy who didn’t get a date and is home in their basement calls the early shot?
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah

Post by 1766 »

Typical npc comment. Show me where I made any definitive comment. You can't so don't bother. CS lol. So average
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Cool story “brah”
BigTom5

Post by BigTom5 »

This just in, it’s not…
Premature evaluation
My bad, jumped the gun on that call. This weekend has proven that the Big Ten is clearly the best conference in the land. Apologies to 1766, he is so wise.
masondixonlax

Post by masondixonlax »

Welp, only Penn state left. One of the most confusing teams this season. Not sure how well they match up against Duke but should be a good game. Kind of wish UVA and Notre Dame were on opposite sides of the bracket
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

Total guessing game on which team shows up,

if 43 is out, they’re in trouble,
then again, maybe not.
Wheels

Post by Wheels »

Mullins runs hot and cold at the FOGO all year. He can't let Naso dominate the X. And Carc was right today about guarding O'Neill. You can't let him get a head of steam. You have to be on him the second he catches the ball. With their top close defender out (on crutches during the second half), I'm not sure PSU has the pieces to stop O'Neill. And you can't go zone against Duke. They have too many shooter...although they don't really have a true QB on offense, either.

I thought Tambroni nearly gave away the game today. I get that he didn't want Coletti leading one man breaks off the face off, but he put PSU into stall ball way too early. Let Army creep back in.

Think we're headed for a Duke-UVA final, and they way UVA played yesterday...if they can continue that...makes me think no one beats them.
The Orfling

Post by The Orfling »

Wheels wrote: Sun May 21, 2023 6:28 pm Mullins runs hot and cold at the FOGO all year. He can't let Naso dominate the X. And Carc was right today about guarding O'Neill. You can't let him get a head of steam. You have to be on him the second he catches the ball. With their top close defender out (on crutches during the second half), I'm not sure PSU has the pieces to stop O'Neill. And you can't go zone against Duke. They have too many shooter...although they don't really have a true QB on offense, either.

I thought Tambroni nearly gave away the game today. I get that he didn't want Coletti leading one man breaks off the face off, but he put PSU into stall ball way too early. Let Army creep back in.

Think we're headed for a Duke-UVA final, and they way UVA played yesterday...if they can continue that...makes me think no one beats them.
+1 (the "UVA losing to Duke streak" doesn't actually include the NCAA tournament, after all).
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

If PSU had Posey they had a decent shot. He's got the physical presence to match up with O'Neill and could keep him in check. Do that and you force Duke's midfield to do a lot of heavy lifting and I like Penn State's rope unit a lot. Naso dominating FOs and Helm playing well probably meant they wouldn't be able to score enough goals to get over the hump but Fracyon would keep them in it. And Penn State can get on some crazy hot streaks shooting the ball.

If they can't defend O'Neill, Duke could put up a crooked number. And don't think Penn State can win any matchups against Duke's D. Haus/Tambs have done a great job using picks and different things to generate offense and again, they shoot the heck outta the ball, but it would need to be a crazy performance.

Nonetheless...Fracyon is great and Helm has the shaky 1st half he had against Delaware...they got a chance if they can hang in on FOs. But that's about what it would take.
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

breakthrough year for the conference.
Laxfan23

Post by Laxfan23 »

As promised, back to assess the statement:” clearly the best conference” (Big10). First, kudos to JHU for a great year. I honestly did not think they would hang as closely as they did with ND. I was not surprised that the ACC has three in the final four. PSU is the only team Big 10 still standing but i think that ends next week. I predict an ACC final and could see any of the three crowned national Champ and the fact that you could make an argument for any of three from the same conference to win it all clearly indicates which is the best conference. Anyone denying that the ACC is the best conference is delusional
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

Laxfan23 wrote: Sun May 21, 2023 11:31 pm As promised, back to assess the statement:” clearly the best conference” (Big10). First, kudos to JHU for a great year. I honestly did not think they would hang as closely as they did with ND. I was not surprised that the ACC has three in the final four. PSU is the only team Big 10 still standing but i think that ends next week. I predict an ACC final and could see any of the three crowned national Champ and the fact that you could make an argument for any of three from the same conference to win it all clearly indicates which is the best conference. Anyone denying that the ACC is the best conference is delusional
maryland was better than unc and cuse and unc lost to osu. The bottom of the big ten was better than the bottom of the acc.
Laxfan23

Post by Laxfan23 »

Not entirely sure about that, the bottom of the ACC, UNC split with the Big 10 losing to OSU and beating Hopkins by four. jHU was 1-3 against the ACC. The bottom of the Big 10, OSU was 1-2 against the ACC and lost to UVA and ND by 11 and 13. And generally when you take the term strongest conference you are looking at the top teams. To me it looks like the top three teams in the ACC are better than 70 some other teams. And not so sure Syracuse and UNC would have missed the tourney if they had not been in the ACC
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

The conference stuff is so silly. It changes year to year.

Yes, the ACC was the best conference this year. Were they last year when they had 1 tournament team and the Big Ten and Ivy put 2 teams in the Final Four? Then they were probably the best conference in 2021 but objectively measuring that stuff that year was pretty silly. In 2019 the Big Ten had the #1 overall seed, ACC had 2 and 3. In 2018 not sure there was any clear conference at the top. In 2017 the Big Ten had two teams playing on Memorial Day and the ACC had none.

Duke and Notre Dame missed the tournament last year and now had great seasons. Hopkins and Penn State same but not quite as good teams as those two. Next year when MD/JHU/PSU bring back bulk of their teams and UVA loses lot of key pieces perhaps it changes again.

There’s no SEC Football from 2007-2013 type run going on here. There’s 3 great conferences a tier above the rest and 2 tend to be better on avg than the 3rd. Whose best fluctuates year to year to point deeming one better than all the rest is rather pointless
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

jrn19 wrote: Mon May 22, 2023 7:53 am The conference stuff is so silly. It changes year to year.

Yes, the ACC was the best conference this year. Were they last year when they had 1 tournament team and the Big Ten and Ivy put 2 teams in the Final Four? Then they were probably the best conference in 2021 but objectively measuring that stuff that year was pretty silly. In 2019 the Big Ten had the #1 overall seed, ACC had 2 and 3. In 2018 not sure there was any clear conference at the top. In 2017 the Big Ten had two teams playing on Memorial Day and the ACC had none.

Duke and Notre Dame missed the tournament last year and now had great seasons. Hopkins and Penn State same but not quite as good teams as those two. Next year when MD/JHU/PSU bring back bulk of their teams and UVA loses lot of key pieces perhaps it changes again.

There’s no SEC Football from 2007-2013 type run going on here. There’s 3 great conferences a tier above the rest and 2 tend to be better on avg than the 3rd. Whose best fluctuates year to year to point deeming one better than all the rest is rather pointless
07-13? SEC has won 13 of the last 17 titles since the Vince Young UT win. Two for Clemson, one for the Crab Leg nourished Seminoles and one for OSU. Aside from the fact that FBS football is really a regional sport watched nationally given one non south/southeastern college has won a title in twenty years, anyone believing a conference matters to an individual is a fools errand. Moved down south post financial crisis and so many tools chant SEC while their team’s don’t do Jack. It’s really pathetic if you spend time down here. There’s all these Mercer and Kennesaw St grade as well as school of Hard Knocks running around barking like a labotomized dog. Most of them are as soft and unathletic as you get and talk up the greatness of golf.
Last edited by Farfromgeneva on Mon May 22, 2023 9:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Laxfan23

Post by Laxfan23 »

Agree it changes year to year and it is silly all the back and forth but it is also fun, particularly if your team or teams or conference is on top for this year. All of this was a reponse to the comment that the Big10 had four chances to show the lax world that their conference was tops and as predicted and shown that is simply not the case THIS year. And what is a little different is that THIS year , the three strongest teams all come from one conference and that is not the Big 10. PEACE
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Mon May 22, 2023 8:19 am
jrn19 wrote: Mon May 22, 2023 7:53 am The conference stuff is so silly. It changes year to year.

07-13? SEC has won 13 of the last 17 titles since the Vince Young UT win. Two for Clemson, one for the Crab Leg nourished Seminoles and one for OSU. Aside from the fact that FBS football is really a regional sport watched nationally given one non south/southeastern college has won a title in twenty years, anyone believing a conference matters to an individual is a fools errand. Moved down south post financial crisis and so many tools chant SEC while their team’s don’t do Jack. It’s really pathetic if you spend time down here. There’s all these Mercer and Kennesaw St grade as well as school of Hard Knocks running around barking like a labotomized dog. Most of them are as soft and unathletic as you get and talk up the greatness of golf.
Sure, they’re still largely the best but 07-13 was when they won the 7 in a row and many weren't even close
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

jrn19 wrote: Mon May 22, 2023 10:23 am
Farfromgeneva wrote: Mon May 22, 2023 8:19 am

Sure, they’re still largely the best but 07-13 was when they won the 7 in a row and many weren't even close
No one has been close to the SEC on a conference level in more than a decade. Including the BigTen. Not even close. FBS w/l by conferences:

SEC: 16-5
ACC: 6-6
Big Ten: 3-7
Big12: 1-5

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”