Johns Hopkins 2023

D1 Mens Lacrosse
nrthcrosslax

Re: Johns Hopkins 2023

Post by nrthcrosslax »

Wasn't Petro knocked for rolling out smurf offensive and defensive middies? Now size doesn't matter? What changed?
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

DocBarrister wrote: Wed May 17, 2023 10:59 pm
Hoponboard wrote: Wed May 17, 2023 8:58 pm Are you going?

“JHU Men's LAX NCAA Quarterfinals vs. Notre Dame - Pre-Game Tailgate
May 21, 2023 | 11:00AM - 2:00PM ET

Navy Marine Corps Memorial Stadium
Annapolis, MD 21401

Join fellow alumni and friends for a pre-game tailgate, ahead of the Blue Jay's NCAA Tournament quarterfinals matchup against the Irish of Notre Dame! Guests will enjoy a full tailgate spread with unlimited food and beverage. Don't miss out on this great opportunity to gather with your fellow Blue Jays as we cheer them on to victory.”
https://events.jhu.edu/form/menslaxncaaquarterfinals

Just $10 a person. Great deal.

What kind of food do they typically serve at these things?

DocBarrister
This is probably a $50-$60 value at least so the university is rightly seeing the moment and investing to try to bring alumni and the community back. Smart.
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

jhu06 wrote: Thu May 18, 2023 9:18 am This is probably a $50-$60 value at least so the university is rightly seeing the moment and investing to try to bring alumni and the community back. Smart.
Sigh - the last 3 quarterfinal appearances - Newark DE '14/Annapolis '15/Annapolis '18 - they did the same thing - I don't remember if and what they charged/what food or drinks were available but there was a big tailgate sponsored in part by BJU - I think - I was at all of them. So they are not seeing any special moment
HopkinsD43

Post by HopkinsD43 »

*edited* This team reminds me of the 2007 team. Nobody really thinks they can win it all (except true Blue Jay fans). In the 2007 Final Four, you had Delaware (Michigan this year) who were the underdogs people were pulling for. You had Duke (ND this year) who were snubbed the year before. You had Cornell (undefeated at the time of the Final Four) (Duke/Virginia this year) who everyone thought were a step ahead and virtually unbeatable. Then there was HOP, who was a hard fought team (9-4 entering the tournament 11-5 this year) that didn’t see much media attention ( almost every other team has an IL article) that surprised everyone. Hoping it’s the same 16 years later. #WEWANTMORE #JUSTANOTHERDAY
Last edited by HopkinsD43 on Thu May 18, 2023 9:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

hopkins has 5 losses.
and none of those teams has made the final 4 yet. big step, could be a wild weekend.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

51percentcorn wrote: Thu May 18, 2023 9:36 am
jhu06 wrote: Thu May 18, 2023 9:18 am This is probably a $50-$60 value at least so the university is rightly seeing the moment and investing to try to bring alumni and the community back. Smart.
Sigh - the last 3 quarterfinal appearances - Newark DE '14/Annapolis '15/Annapolis '18 - they did the same thing - I don't remember if and what they charged/what food or drinks were available but there was a big tailgate sponsored in part by BJU - I think - I was at all of them. So they are not seeing any special moment
The post before sounded like a QVC special.

***South Park clip below some cant handle the humor but for those who can enjoy!

https://youtu.be/OMQal3EiT3Q
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

HopkinsD43 wrote: Thu May 18, 2023 9:09 pm *edited* This team reminds me of the 2007 team. Nobody really thinks they can win it all (except true Blue Jay fans). In the 2007 Final Four, you had Delaware (Michigan this year) who were the underdogs people were pulling for. You had Duke (ND this year) who were snubbed the year before. You had Cornell (undefeated at the time of the Final Four) (Duke/Virginia this year) who everyone thought were a step ahead and virtually unbeatable. Then there was HOP, who was a hard fought team (9-4 entering the tournament 11-5 this year) that didn’t see much media attention ( almost every other team has an IL article) that surprised everyone. Hoping it’s the same 16 years later. #WEWANTMORE #JUSTANOTHERDAY
Comparing the 2007 Delaware fighting Alex Smiths (I know Dickson was excellent) to the 2023 Mich team is not a realistic comparison on actual personnel, style and/or strength/weakness analysis. Just starting with solution then building the formula backwards. None of this is actually analysis just a narrative which everyone will forget when it doesn’t shake out but on the lottery ticket chance Hop wins it all then this can be claimed as a prescient call in what one might describe as risk transference to obtain asymmetric upside
HopkinsD43

Post by HopkinsD43 »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Thu May 18, 2023 10:54 pm
HopkinsD43 wrote: Thu May 18, 2023 9:09 pm *edited* This team reminds me of the 2007 team. Nobody really thinks they can win it all (except true Blue Jay fans). In the 2007 Final Four, you had Delaware (Michigan this year) who were the underdogs people were pulling for. You had Duke (ND this year) who were snubbed the year before. You had Cornell (undefeated at the time of the Final Four) (Duke/Virginia this year) who everyone thought were a step ahead and virtually unbeatable. Then there was HOP, who was a hard fought team (9-4 entering the tournament 11-5 this year) that didn’t see much media attention ( almost every other team has an IL article) that surprised everyone. Hoping it’s the same 16 years later. #WEWANTMORE #JUSTANOTHERDAY
Comparing the 2007 Delaware fighting Alex Smiths (I know Dickson was excellent) to the 2023 Mich team is not a realistic comparison on actual personnel, style and/or strength/weakness analysis. Just starting with solution then building the formula backwards. None of this is actually analysis just a narrative which everyone will forget when it doesn’t shake out but on the lottery ticket chance Hop wins it all then this can be claimed as a prescient call in what one might describe as risk transference to obtain asymmetric upside
I never said that there was a direct/exact comparison (players/coaches/etc) to the 2007 Final Four teams and the teams I mentioned from this year (yes I know we are in the Final 8 and nobody has made the Final 4 yet). I was just saying the narrative for the teams in 2007 ( which I outlined) mimics some of the narrative now. The 2007 HOP team was a much different team then this years team. I am also not saying the outcome WILL be the same, just that I hope it is. I was not making any predictions.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

HopkinsD43 wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 12:32 am
I never said that there was a direct/exact comparison (players/coaches/etc) to the 2007 Final Four teams and the teams I mentioned from this year (yes I know we are in the Final 8 and nobody has made the Final 4 yet). I was just saying the narrative for the teams in 2007 ( which I outlined) mimics some of the narrative now. The 2007 HOP team was a much different team then this years team. I am also not saying the outcome WILL be the same, just that I hope it is. I was not making any predictions.
Plus, I don’t think the comparison of Delaware is on target.

That was an extremely talented Hens team — a lot more than just Curtis Dickson and Alex Smith. Those Delaware teams had a much more challenging schedule than today’s Hens.

Maybe the comparison works on this end, both Delaware then and Michigan now were teams that had been looked at as underperforming, certainly at conference tournament time and as far as making and winning in the NCAAs.

Another interesting comparison, both Delaware in 2007 and Michigan this year beat the prior year’s undefeated National Champions. Hens didn’t just beat UVA by a goal or two.

Personally, I thought Hopkins’ strategy for beating the Hens that year went a long way towards helping them beat Duke.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

10stone5 wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 2:22 am
HopkinsD43 wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 12:32 am
Plus, I don’t think the comparison of Delaware is on target.

That was an extremely talented Hens team — a lot more than just Curtis Dickson and Alex Smith. Those Delaware teams had a much more challenging schedule than today’s Hens.

Maybe the comparison works on this end, both Delaware then and Michigan now were teams that had been looked at as underperforming, certainly at conference tournament time and as far as making and winning in the NCAAs.

Another interesting comparison, both Delaware in 2007 and Michigan this year beat the prior year’s undefeated National Champions. Hens didn’t just beat UVA by a goal or two.

Personally, I thought Hopkins’ strategy for beating the Hens that year went a long way towards helping them beat Duke.
I wasn’t minimizing Del there but making that FF had a lot to do with having a top 5 FOGO in college history.

Anyone can spin any narrative they want. Doesn’t mean anything. It’s a solution looking for a problem though.
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

I don't see many parallels to 2007 except for the fact that very few think Hopkins is going to hold the Gold Trophy in 10 days time. In '07 Hopkins had a very tough first round opponent - Notre Dame coincidentally - the game that put me in the equipment shed for what seemed hours for the thunderstorms (Kimmel scored in OT after 11 PM) not a 14 goal blow-out. Hopkins was probably an underdog to a 12-2 Georgetown team in the 1/4s but it wasn't by 4-5 goals. Delaware - while a very good team - was unseeded - and upset a Virginia team that would have been a formidable opponent (with a healthy Rubeor). Duke was Duke and a great moment. This team has way more things to worry about. Quint thinks Notre Dame is going to romp - he's citing goalie differences and the Irish's ability to tackle the Hopkins shorts sticks which seem particularly vulnerable if Martin is way less than 100% - he might be annoying but he might not be wrong.
BlueJaySince1947

Post by BlueJaySince1947 »

What else would you expect from Q the K...his latent distaste of everything Blue Jay is always simmering...
LaxAllStars

Post by LaxAllStars »

https://podcasters.spotify.com/pod/show ... ed-e248m9n

Joe Beninati and QK discuss Saturday and Sunday NCAA Quarterfinals.
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

LaxAllStars wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 9:37 am https://podcasters.spotify.com/pod/show ... ed-e248m9n

Joe Beninati and QK discuss Saturday and Sunday NCAA Quarterfinals.
51s stuff was better than quints all year.
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

51percentcorn wrote: Thu May 18, 2023 9:36 am
I believe the charge was $10. Might be wrong but it was not pricey.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Welp, here we go
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

HopFan16 wrote: Sun May 21, 2023 2:27 pm Welp, here we go
To win!

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister
primitiveskills

Post by primitiveskills »

If ever there were a "sound off" game. this is it
primitiveskills

Post by primitiveskills »

Getting beat to the middle of the field way too easily
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Is Brown banged up? Noticed this last week and it has continued today — Kaufman has taken his spot in the LSM pecking order

Don't think we're playing well, and still within striking distance. On the other hand, ND isn't exactly playing lights out either and they're up 3, so...

Our SSDMs just don't look up to the task against the ND midfield. Any comeback hopes will require Marcille to make some saves that he shouldn't.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”