North Carolina 2023

D1 Mens Lacrosse
MDlaxfan76

Re: North Carolina 2023

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Lewisfrederick wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 12:57 pm
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 10:51 am
wgdsr wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 9:46 am there was a time when virtually no one, outside of hopkins, was fired for producing less than stellar or potential results in college lacrosse. dark ages, maybe, and obviously times and circumstances change. but that legacy is still there to a degree, relating it to say... football and basketball.

the hamster wheel that is the big time sports coaching carousel, to me at least, spits out a lot of chasing maveriks. surely a study can or has been done, to me it looks like there's a lot of chasing your tail. new staffs, new ad's, buyouts, turnover on virtually everything to placate and market the shiny new thing. for every success story, there are likely multiples (5x? 10x?) of look backs that are nothing but spinning wheels.

of course, people can get stale and complacent and be bad fits, tho i'm not sure we're not better off in lacrosse than having a constant carousel going. no, it shouldn't be a lifetime appointment. what are the university goals?

if assistants aren't pulling their weight, they're not immune. but if this ultimately is a scapegoat and lipstick thing, that's pretty sad. they typically do as much or more for a lot less.
I think UMD also had a track record of limited patience?

That said, I'd agree that most turnover (not caused by a coach simply moving to a higher paying program) has been when something went awry and the lacrosse program became a problem for the AD that simply doing reasonably well on the field most years didn't overcome.

I agree that scapegoating assistants is not good...indeed, usually the question is why they were chosen in the first place, how were they managed and mentored, not that it's necessarily their fault that under performance has been chronic...of course, sometimes there really is a poor fit, or the mix of coaches is 'stale', and a change is necessary.

I've seen that up pretty close with my alma mater and then at my son's program (both arguably in long stretches of 'under performance', now hopefully on the upswing) where good assistants for one reason or another left (usually for higher career opportunities in or out of lax but in one case a tragic death) and were replaced by assistants who were disasters...to me that's on the head coach to select and mentor good people. (note, some of those who choose lax coaching as a career are knuckleheads just like any field...and some of the coaches in lax would perform poorly in a business or professional setting, but were good 'athletes'...these coaches really shouldn't be managing young people in any setting, but they are...).

Seems to me this is really more about economics than anything else. In the non-revenue sports, for most schools the objective is certainly to create a program where excellence is expected and regularly achieved, but that doesn't mean dominance in a league much less nationally is required. Being competitive is required.

And what interrupts a just "competitive" is when something goes awry that makes the program a headache for the AD. Assistants can be part of a bad tone, but usually that means the head coach is allowing that to be the case.

Doesn't feel like that's the case for UNC, but perhaps there will be some turnover encouraged...but that should be up to the HC.
I think what is important to note, no one was asking Bubba to fire JB. His contract is up and we should have hired someone new. We have won 9 of the last 30 conference games! That’s awful. Especially considering all the investment into the program in recent years… why invest so much if you are ok being embarrassed by rivals and missing the tournament consistently.

I know a number of men’s lax donors who aren’t going to be supporting the program going forward. At this point it is unacceptable and donating just encourages this terrible performance.
Being 'competitive' is a reasonable ask, and 9 w's and 21 losses (last 30) doesn't sound ample in some respects, but this is in a conference that doesn't often lose many games to anyone.

I get the desire for some ACC championships, if not also NC's, and indeed I'd expect those are the goals of the coaches, players, etc.

Question, though...how many dollars are donated annually by alums at UNC? Do those get split across both men's and women's programs the way the Ivies work, or are they dedicated to the team of choice? How many annual $ from alums specifically to men's lax?
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

3 year deal says a lot about the confidence in this decision. You’re basically right back in this same situation in 2 years if he doesn’t turn things around. Teams are going to recruit against them with the fact that Breschi’s not guaranteed to stay for the duration of recruits careers. This feels like a “we aren’t confident in him being the guy to turn it around and want flexibility to make a decision if things don’t get turned around but we don’t want to move on now.” Which, at that point, I’d probably just move on
coda

Post by coda »

jrn19 wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 2:22 pm 3 year deal says a lot about the confidence in this decision. You’re basically right back in this same situation in 2 years if he doesn’t turn things around. Teams are going to recruit against them with the fact that Breschi’s not guaranteed to stay for the duration of recruits careers. This feels like a “we aren’t confident in him being the guy to turn it around and want flexibility to make a decision if things don’t get turned around but we don’t want to move on now.” Which, at that point, I’d probably just move on
I have no insight on Corrigan or Danowski, but it seems like their careers are probably over in the next 5 years. That could mean you will be competing with 1 or both for the next hire. So it would seem odd to sign up for a 1-2 year experiment.
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

If you were 100% confident he was the guy long term, he’d get a 5 year deal. That’s the standard contract for coaches. Myers got a 5 year deal last year. Breschi’s last deal was 5 years.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

Congratulations to Coach Breschi.

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister
BryanLax

Post by BryanLax »

Just saw this and wanted to share. Posted by The Crosse Commission on twitter back on May 6 (before this decision was made, and during our game against ND).

https://twitter.com/College_Crosse/stat ... 0667802625

UNC’s last 4 games against Duke/UVA/ND. Win against any one gets them in the tournament

7 goal loss
7 goal loss
7 goal loss
10 goal deficit (right now)

UNC 2022 April-onwards against the ACC, when they were in the Top 10 and in contention for a tournament spot

9 goal L to Duke
7 goal L to UVA
7 goal L to ND
8 goal L to Duke

8 games from basically April onward against Duke/UVA/ND last 2 years and they are -62 in those 8 games

UNC since 2018 in last week of March onwards ACC/NCAAT games is 9-18. 5 of those 9 wins came in 2021.

This will be their 5th full season of the last 6 since the championship with 7 or 8 wins. ACC record since 2016 is 9-21. This will be their 4th missed tournament in 5 years

In a profession that does not always attract people who live up to its stated ideals or what it’s noblest goals are, Joe Breschi surpasses each and every one of them. He‘s probably the finest guy out there.

But at some point, man, this is one of the crown jewel programs of the sport. You’ve got every resource available to you that you could want at that job. This can’t be what the standard is at that job. Your peers are not just lapping you, they’re running a different race.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

BryanLax wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 3:41 pm Just saw this and wanted to share. Posted by The Crosse Commission on twitter back on May 6 (before this decision was made, and during our game against ND).

UNC’s last 4 games against Duke/UVA/ND. Win against any one gets them in the tournament

7 goal loss
7 goal loss
7 goal loss

UNC 2022 April-onwards against the ACC, when they were in the Top 10 and in contention for a tournament spot

9 goal L to Duke
7 goal L to UVA
7 goal L to ND
8 goal L to Duke

8 games from basically April onward against Duke/UVA/ND last 2 years and they are -62 in those 8 games

UNC since 2018 in last week of March onwards ACC/NCAAT games is 9-18. 5 of those 9 wins came in 2021.

This will be their 5th full season of the last 6 since the championship with 7 or 8 wins. ACC record since 2016 is 9-21. This will be their 4th missed tournament in 5 years

In a profession that does not always attract people who live up to its stated ideals or what it’s noblest goals are, Joe Breschi surpasses each and every one of them. He‘s probably the finest guy out there.

But at some point, man, this is one of the crown jewel programs of the sport. You’ve got every resource available to you that you could want at that job. This can’t be what the standard is at that job. Your peers are not just lapping you, they’re running a different race.
Sharing this after he was just extended for three years? That’s a lose / lose proposition for UNC fans who want a head to roll. Either you’re correct and it sucks for a while or you were wrong and lose the ability to trust your own judgment with respect to your program.
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
Hoxwurth

Post by Hoxwurth »

BryanLax wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 3:41 pm Just saw this and wanted to share. Posted by The Crosse Commission on twitter back on May 6 (before this decision was made, and during our game against ND).

7 goal loss
7 goal loss
7 goal loss

9 goal L to Duke
7 goal L to UVA
7 goal L to ND
8 goal L to Duke

Breschi made the tournament every year from 2009-17 and only once since. Without 2021, Breschi doesn't get the extension today.

The point about the peer schools is important. In fairness to Breschi, UNC coaches have stuggled in the ACC since 1991.
BryanLax

Post by BryanLax »

Hoxwurth wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 4:03 pm

7 goal loss
7 goal loss
7 goal loss

9 goal L to Duke
7 goal L to UVA
7 goal L to ND
8 goal L to Duke

Breschi made the tournament every year from 2009-17 and only once since. Without 2021, Breschi doesn't get the extension today.

The point about the peer schools is important. In fairness to Breschi, UNC coaches have stuggled in the ACC since 1991.
I would say since 1997 not 1991. 13-5 from 1991-1996, finishing 1st in the conference 4 times in those 6 years.
BryanLax

Post by BryanLax »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 3:45 pm

7 goal loss
7 goal loss
7 goal loss

9 goal L to Duke
7 goal L to UVA
7 goal L to ND
8 goal L to Duke

Sharing this after he was just extended for three years? That’s a lose / lose proposition for UNC fans who want a head to roll. Either you’re correct and it sucks for a while or you were wrong and lose the ability to trust your own judgment with respect to your program.
I just saw it for the first time today... and idk why it is a lose/lose proposition. Non-UNC fans seem confused as to why so many UNC fans want Breschi gone, and I think this perfectly shows that we are miles behind our peers.
Also, I am just quoting what this person said... not saying he is correct or not. Seems to me that all but the last two paragraphs are facts that can't really be disputed.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

7 goal loss
7 goal loss
7 goal loss

9 goal L to Duke
7 goal L to UVA
7 goal L to ND
8 goal L to Duke

since 2016, unc has made 2 final fours, something only 4 other programs have done.

since 2016, unc has won the national championship, the biggest of all prizes. something only 3 other programs have done.

there are over 70 programs in division 1.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

wgdsr wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 4:18 pm since 2016, unc has made 2 final fours, something only 4 other programs have done.

since 2016, unc has won the national championship, something only 3 other programs have done.

That's why he got the first extension. If you're still using the title as justification for another extension then the period between the two extensions probably wasn't good and you're not very far off from arguing for lifetime appointments for title winners. What if they go another three years without making a tournament? You moving on then? He'll still have won the title in 2016, that's not changing.

Missing the tourney more often than not in a 7-year stretch and more recently getting throttled in every non-Syracuse ACC game...I can see why some alums are upset they're not letting the contract expire and trying someone else out. But at UNC it seems you can rest on previous accomplishment longer than at some of their peer programs, three of which have made changes in the last handful of years and all three look like they're on upward trajectories from where the last guy left them.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

HopFan16 wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 4:27 pm
wgdsr wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 4:18 pm since 2016, unc has made 2 final fours, something only 4 other programs have done.

since 2016, unc has won the national championship, something only 3 other programs have done.

That's why he got the first extension. If you're still using the title as justification for another extension then the period between the two extensions probably wasn't good and you're not very far off from arguing for lifetime appointments for title winners. What if they go another three years without making a tournament? You moving on then? He'll still have won the title in 2016, that's not changing.

Missing the tourney more often than not in a 7-year stretch and more recently getting throttled in every non-Syracuse ACC game...I can see why some alums are upset they're not letting the contract expire and trying someone else out. But at UNC it seems you can rest on previous accomplishment longer than at some peer programs.
i'm not justifying or arguing for anything, sir. i was replying to a post. how about you let me do that without defining what that is for me?

and how do we know that any alums are upset? what we have here are a couple fanlax posters. social media? that's squeaky wheel stuff.
BryanLax

Post by BryanLax »

wgdsr wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 4:18 pm

7 goal loss
7 goal loss
7 goal loss

9 goal L to Duke
7 goal L to UVA
7 goal L to ND
8 goal L to Duke

since 2016, unc has made 2 final fours, something only 4 other programs have done.

since 2016, unc has won the national championship, the biggest of all prizes. something only 3 other programs have done.

No one is disputing Breschi up too 2016, the issue is since 2016.

2017) 8-8, 1-3 in ACC, Lost First Round
2018) 7-7, 1-3 in ACC, Missed NCAA
2019) 8-7, 1-3 in ACC, Missed NCAA
2021) 13-3, 4-2 in ACC, Final Four
2022) 8-6, 1-5 in ACC, Missed Tournament
2023) 7-7, 1-5 in ACC, Missed Tournament

Feels like the 2021 season was the anomaly. If Chris Gray hadn't transferred, likely would have been more of the same.
This isn't a bad year or two, this is a trend.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

wgdsr wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 4:34 pm

Missing the tourney more often than not in a 7-year stretch and more recently getting throttled in every non-Syracuse ACC game...I can see why some alums are upset they're not letting the contract expire and trying someone else out. But at UNC it seems you can rest on previous accomplishment longer than at some peer programs.
i'm not justifying or arguing for anything, sir. i was replying to a post. how about you let me do that without defining what that is for me?

and how do we know that any alums are upset? what we have here are a couple fanlax posters. social media? that's squeaky wheel stuff.
Just the usual devil's advocate stuff then? Fun

There is a lot of negative chatter on the UNC 247 boards from people who I assume are alumni. Some people saying they're done donating. I'm just the messenger.

On the flip side the guys over at the Sabre seem pretty happy about the news
BryanLax

Post by BryanLax »

Missing the tourney more often than not in a 7-year stretch and more recently getting throttled in every non-Syracuse ACC game...I can see why some alums are upset they're not letting the contract expire and trying someone else out. But at UNC it seems you can rest on previous accomplishment longer than at some of their peer programs, three of which have made changes in the last handful of years and all three look like they're on upward trajectories from where the last guy left them.
What worries me the most, is that we have struggled this much in the ACC while Syracuse has been down. Once they get back to being elite (which may not be too long from now), we may turn into 2013-17 UVA who went 1-19 in Conference play.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

HopFan16 wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 4:41 pm
wgdsr wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 4:34 pm

Just the usual devil's advocate stuff then? Fun

There is a lot of negative chatter on the UNC 247 boards from people who I assume are alumni. Some people saying they're done donating. I'm just the messenger.

On the flip side the guys over at the Sabre seem pretty happy about the news
not really. the amount of cherry picking, omission and/or changing of facts and goalpost moving in the post i replied to was why i commented.

i just looked at the unc twitter feed, and the negative posts from "alums" don't seem to be there. several randos. and liked, retweeted, yada by whomever in some bigger #s. as long as we're keeping score.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

BryanLax wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 4:37 pm

7 goal loss
7 goal loss
7 goal loss

9 goal L to Duke
7 goal L to UVA
7 goal L to ND
8 goal L to Duke

Feels like the 2021 season was the anomaly. If Chris Gray hadn't transferred, likely would have been more of the same.
2017 - 2021 record is much better than you're alluding to with your op. which i won't delve into all the inaccuracies or goalpost moving for now if... you'll admit that it's the last 2 years you want him fired for.
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

The 2018 and 2019 seasons are basically exactly like the last two years. 15-15, 2-6 in the ACC, missed the tournament both years. Their losses were closer but they lost them all the same. Not sure the standard at UNC is “we didn’t lose to all of our rivals by that much.”

2017 season wasn’t far off it either. Blown out by JHU, blown out by Maryland, lost by 4 to Duke, beat meh UVA team, lose to Cuse and ND. Beat Cuse and ND to win ACCT, then get handled by Albany in the first round.

The record from 2017-2019 in all ACC games, even counting the tournament, was 6-10. In total it’s 23-22. If that’s meaningfully better than the last two years I’m not seeing it

Then you have 2020 and 2021 which were great but stand out as the outliers. 2 years out of 7 where they were a Top 5 team as opposed to not being a Top 20 one, or if they were 17-20th in the poll. That is a long decline in results in comparison with his first 8 years
BryanLax

Post by BryanLax »

wgdsr wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 4:52 pm
BryanLax wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 4:37 pm

7 goal loss
7 goal loss
7 goal loss

9 goal L to Duke
7 goal L to UVA
7 goal L to ND
8 goal L to Duke

2017 - 2021 record is much better than you're alluding to with your op. which i won't delve into all the inaccuracies or goalpost moving for now if... you'll admit that it's the last 2 years you want him fired for.
Nope... if the last two years were the only issue, I would want him extended. If we had maintained pre 2016 results through 2022, I would not have cared how the last 2 years went as much. We have progressively gotten worse since the 2016 championship, with the only exception being 1 full season when a generational player was on our team.
I agree with you that while our record in 2022 and 2023 is roughly the same as 2017-2019, we are even less competitive now than we were then.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”