Coaching Carousel 2022-2023

D1 Womens Lacrosse
Brownlax

Re: Coaching Carousel 2022-2023

Post by Brownlax »

cltlax wrote: Wed May 17, 2023 10:42 am
Brownlax wrote: Wed May 17, 2023 10:15 am Another issue with coaching in women’s lacrosse is the influx each year of new coaches who played the year before without any experience. It is rare that it happens like this in other sports.
UNC Field Hockey hired a graduating senior to replace an outgoing 42-year head coach.
As I said it is very rare.
LaxCoach13

Post by LaxCoach13 »

Brownlax wrote: Wed May 17, 2023 10:15 am Another issue with coaching in women’s lacrosse is the influx each year of new coaches who played the year before without any experience. It is rare that it happens like this in other sports.
Totally agree, AD's seem to think good player means good coach without taking other things into consideration. Budgets, Recruiting, Leadership, etc, I've been coaching at the college level for 20 years and have been past over by someone a year or two out of college. But it does make we laugh to see them leave in a year or two, schools have to start investing and caring about these programs more. Hire someone like me, let me hire those young coaches and mentor them and then let them take over when I leave 5-10 years later.
watcherinthewoods

Post by watcherinthewoods »

cltlax wrote: Wed May 17, 2023 10:42 am
UNC Field Hockey hired a graduating senior to replace an outgoing 42-year head coach.
This was a very specific situation with a very specific outgoing coach and former player/incoming HC. I can tell you firsthand there is a very intentional succession plan in place.

IMHO, the biggest technical issue transitioning from player to coach is that you can't gift natural athleticism ... coaching involves knowing fundamentals and the ability to teach them. Sometimes the best players (who often relied on natural gifts) lack basic understanding of the technical elements of the game. On the non-technical side there are the management, leadership, and emotional intelligence factors that often develop with lived experience. When my daughter was in the recruiting process, I always gave extra points to coaches who were also moms.
LaxThoughts

Post by LaxThoughts »

Just because someone can play does not at all mean she can coach. Ample examples throughout all sports. I have watched for years a stellar player who became a coach and cannot coach her way out of a paper bag.
laxlaxlax

Post by laxlaxlax »

Unsurprisingly, OSU are making a change!

https://ohiostatebuckeyes.com/ohio-sta ... eadership/
jff97

Post by jff97 »

laxlaxlax wrote: Wed May 17, 2023 3:45 pm Unsurprisingly, OSU are making a change!

Should be able to get a decent hire considering the OSU brand and what the school has invested in their lacrosse programs. They're the only school in the B1G that hasn't turned itself into a program consistently pushing to make the NCAA Tournament since the conference was formed in 2015.
watcherinthewoods

jff97 wrote: Wed May 17, 2023 4:23 pm
laxlaxlax wrote: Wed May 17, 2023 3:45 pm Unsurprisingly, OSU are making a change!

Should be able to get a decent hire considering the OSU brand and what the school has invested in their lacrosse programs. They're the only school in the B1G that hasn't turned itself into a program consistently pushing to make the NCAA Tournament since the conference was formed in 2015.
big job with a big salary. wonder if any big names will be tempted to jump.
LaxDadMax

Post by LaxDadMax »

watcherinthewoods wrote: Wed May 17, 2023 5:02 pm

My money is on Christine Halfpenny. Interviewed for Clemson job so she is clearly looking to move on and would likely be a MAJOR pay increase with lots more resources.
tothedraw

Post by tothedraw »

LaxDadMax wrote: Wed May 17, 2023 5:24 pm

My money is on Christine Halfpenny. Interviewed for Clemson job so she is clearly looking to move on and would likely be a MAJOR pay increase with lots more resources.
Well, that would be a major mistake by OSU if they don't want more of the same. Would Liza Kelly leave Denver ?

I am surprised how short her tenure was. PSU coach has certainly had more success but nowhere near were they could be. Loss of recruits and staff turnover as well.
Last edited by tothedraw on Wed May 17, 2023 6:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Seacoaster(1)

Post by Seacoaster(1) »

tothedraw wrote: Wed May 17, 2023 5:47 pm

Well, that would be a major mistake by OSU if they don't want more of the same. Would Liza Kelly leave Denver ?
NJbill and Can Opener, co-head coaches. Bank on it.
tothedraw

Post by tothedraw »

Seacoaster(1) wrote: Wed May 17, 2023 6:04 pm

There would be a lot of arguing on that sideline 😂
suffolk

Post by suffolk »

The resources at Nore Dame are outstanding. Before this year you could say that she had underachieved and would be smart staying a step ahead by leaving ND. I think Adam Sear has helped that program tremendously.
PhanLax99

Post by PhanLax99 »

suffolk wrote: Wed May 17, 2023 7:20 pm

The resources at Nore Dame are outstanding. Before this year you could say that she had underachieved and would be smart staying a step ahead by leaving ND. I think Adam Sear has helped that program tremendously.
Sear has done a good job there but I am interested to see what it looks like when the big 3 on attack are gone.

On the defensive end, I think Benner has been a huge addition. Breaking in a new goalie and playing some young defenders, the defense has been much approved based on past years.

Offense is putting up 15.9 compared to 15.19 goals in 2022.
Defense is letting up 8.9 goals compared to 11 goals a game.

Either way, both assistants have done an excellent job and might be getting calls in the near future.
LaxDadMax

Post by LaxDadMax »

PhanLax99 wrote: Wed May 17, 2023 8:59 pm
suffolk wrote: Wed May 17, 2023 7:20 pm

Sear has done a good job there but I am interested to see what it looks like when the big 3 on attack are gone.

On the defensive end, I think Benner has been a huge addition. Breaking in a new goalie and playing some young defenders, the defense has been much approved based on past years.

Offense is putting up 15.9 compared to 15.19 goals in 2022.
Defense is letting up 8.9 goals compared to 11 goals a game.

Either way, both assistants have done an excellent job and might be getting calls in the near future.
Halfpenny's biggest issue has been the last two recruiting classes. No freshman and only 1 sophomore got meaningful PT this year. (and this is on a team with only 1 grad student). Now is the time to get out since talent will likely take a bit hit next year.
watcherinthewoods

The search committee is certainly not interested in my opinion, but if they were, I would tell them that they might be better off looking for a coach with a proven track record of developing teams/players. A more boot-strappy, hungrier kind of person. Bokker had all the support and resources a coach could ask for at Stanford and then OSU ... as does Halfpenny at ND. Neither has been able to bring a program to its full potential since early in their coaching careers.

I would be going after Klaes and/or Adams. Hard. Maybe even Tumolo? Devon Wills or Becca Block?
hsllax

Post by hsllax »

Gina Oliver? Dana Dobbie?
Brownlax

Post by Brownlax »

watcherinthewoods wrote: Thu May 18, 2023 7:42 am The search committee is certainly not interested in my opinion, but if they were, I would tell them that they might be better off looking for a coach with a proven track record of developing teams/players. A more boot-strappy, hungrier kind of person. Bokker had all the support and resources a coach could ask for at Stanford and then OSU ... as does Halfpenny at ND. Neither has been able to bring a program to its full potential since early in their coaching careers.

I would be going after Klaes and/or Adams. Hard. Maybe even Tumolo? Devon Wills or Becca Block?
Klaes, Adams and Tumolo would be interesting candidates. Not so sure on Wills (has not done that much at Harvard) and Block.
Can Opener

Post by Can Opener »

Yes. Love this idea!!! Belichick and Parcells. (Hey, their creative tension produced two Super Bowl wins together.) Charlotte North will work with me on the offense and Lawrence Taylor will help NJB on the defense. DMac will be our head of HR and make sure we all list our pronouns properly on email signatures.

Seacoaster(1)

Post by Seacoaster(1) »

Can Opener wrote: Thu May 18, 2023 11:14 am

Yes. Love this idea!!! Belichick and Parcells. (Hey, their creative tension produced two Super Bowl wins together.) Charlotte North will work with me on the offense and Lawrence Taylor will help NJB on the defense. DMac will be our head of HR and make sure we all list our pronouns properly on email signatures.

All your players would have to be sourced from Moorestown.

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”