Georgetown vs Virginia in Qrtrs

D1 Mens Lacrosse
Woolax

Georgetown vs Virginia in Qrtrs

Post by Woolax »

Do Hoyas have a chance? In UVA's three loses they were "held" to: 13, 14, and 14 goals so Georgetown may have to win another shootout like they did against Yale.
Finster

Re: Georgetown vs Virginia in Qrtrs

Post by Finster »

Woolax wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 12:34 am Do Hoyas have a chance? In UVA's three loses they were "held" to: 13, 14, and 14 goals so Georgetown may have to win another shootout like they did against Yale.

UVA by five+
1moreuvafan2

Post by 1moreuvafan2 »

No way that's going to happen. Have you seen Georgetown's offense? There's going to be a lot of action.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

1moreuvafan2 wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 7:27 am No way that's going to happen. Have you seen Georgetown's offense? There's going to be a lot of action.
i'd say looking at results it's at least a possibility. which of their games have been overly impressive offensively?

they may be in their groove this weekend, but i wouldn't say any result is out of bounds.
tech37

Post by tech37 »

wgdsr wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 7:53 am
1moreuvafan2 wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 7:27 am No way that's going to happen. Have you seen Georgetown's offense? There's going to be a lot of action.
i'd say looking at results it's at least a possibility. which of their games have been overly impressive offensively?

they may be in their groove this weekend, but i wouldn't say any result is out of bounds.
Whichever keeper shows up will determine this one...can't wait!
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

tech37 wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 7:55 am

don't see it this narrow meeself, but can't wait also!
Finster

Post by Finster »

The ride ends for the Hoyas this weekend. Lasalla will dominate FO, and Georgetown will push tempo in response to fewer possessions (good luck getting Dordevic to play 60 second possessions), which plays into UVA’s hands. Last time these two teams met, UVA took them to the woodshed 14-3.

UVA by 5+
Asleep@theswitch

Post by Asleep@theswitch »

Reilly’s health may be the biggest variable for either a close game that goes either way or a comfortable UVA win.
tech37

Post by tech37 »

wgdsr wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 8:15 am

Maybe so. How's this...to win, GTown D and goalie need to play better than they did vs Yale...broad enough for ya?
DMac

Post by DMac »

tech, does one ticket cover both games?
(not going, just curious)
Powellfan22

Post by Powellfan22 »

Finster wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 8:22 am

The ride ends for the Hoyas this weekend. Lasalla will dominate FO, and Georgetown will push tempo in response to fewer possessions (good luck getting Dordevic to play 60 second possessions), which plays into UVA’s hands. Last time these two teams met, UVA took them to the woodshed 14-3.

UVA by 5+
In fairness that game was back in 2021. Reilly got knocked out on the first possession and that seemed to take the wind out of Georgetown's sails. This Georgetown team is almost completely different to that one. I do think the Cavs win but not sure it will be such a cakewalk.
blue angels

Post by blue angels »

Powellfan22 wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 11:08 am

UVA by 5+
In fairness that game was back in 2021. Reilly got knocked out on the first possession and that seemed to take the wind out of Georgetown's sails. This Georgetown team is almost completely different to that one. I do think the Cavs win but not sure it will be such a cakewalk.
On any given day, anyone can win. I am sure the Georgetown staff is still smarting from that game 2 years ago, but this is a very different Georgetown team so not sure it translates to the players as much...... I feel like we are playing some kind of ACC all star team with all the ex UNC, Cuse guys in key roles. They have all played against Virginia before and won some of those games. They won't be in awe from the 1st face off on.
Finster

Post by Finster »

blue angels wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 11:30 am

UVA by 5+
On any given day, anyone can win. I am sure the Georgetown staff is still smarting from that game 2 years ago, but this is a very different Georgetown team so not sure it translates to the players as much...... I feel like we are playing some kind of ACC all star team with all the ex UNC, Cuse guys in key roles. They have all played against Virginia before and won some of those games. They won't be in awe from the 1st face off on.

St. John’s (0-14) had their highest number of goals for the year against Georgetown. I’m going to go ahead and assume that the Wahoos could play their substitutes and score the same if not more as SJ. I can only imagine UVA’s starters if Lasalla goes off at 60%+.

As far as Gtown’s offense, Yales defense provides us no benchmark at all, since they also gave up 20, 17, 23, and 19 over the season.
HGK

Post by HGK »

Finster wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 12:15 pm
blue angels wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 11:30 am

UVA by 5+

St. John’s (0-14) had their highest number of goals for the year against Georgetown. I’m going to go ahead and assume that the Wahoos could play their substitutes and score the same if not more as SJ. I can only imagine UVA’s starters if Lasalla goes off at 60%+.

As far as Gtown’s offense, Yales defense provides us no benchmark at all, since they also gave up 20, 17, 23, and 19 over the season.
This circular logic is of very little value. Is the fact that Georgetown destroyed Loyola, who beat UMD - who beat UVA give the Hoyas an edge? Of course not. Let’s please not use the SJU game and Yale’s highest goals allowed over a full season as a benchmark for what will happen Saturday.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

tech37 wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 10:36 am

Maybe so. How's this...to win, GTown D and goalie need to play better than they did vs Yale...broad enough for ya?
i'd say.
reilly being able to compete may help.

could be wrong, but it'd seem the hoos' kryptonite has been slow starts. hoyas' best bet is to come out early and get some semblance of a lead. a run will come, but they could then weather it. control the pace in that event as well. if uva smokes early, not a team you want to try to come back on.
Finster

Post by Finster »

wgdsr wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 12:26 pm

i'd say.

could be wrong, but it'd seem the hoos' kryptonite has been slow starts. hoyas' best bet is to come out early and get some semblance of a lead. a run will come, but they could then weather it. control the pace in that event as well. if uva smokes early, not a team you want to try to come back on.

Even when UVA doesn’t come out hot, they seem to deflate other teams (Maryland and Duke being the exceptions). Against ND, score was 4-4 at half, but it felt like UVA was ahead. ND looked defeated as soon as the second half began.
rolldodge

Post by rolldodge »

i'd say.

Reilly's health will definitely be a factor. Even so, he may be able to tie LaSalla up enough to win his share and, maybe more importantly, stop the threat of fast breaks off of the FO.
tech37

Post by tech37 »

i'd say.

Thanks

Enjoy the games. If your heading N, think you'll like Albany's stadium, if you haven't been.
tech37

Post by tech37 »

DMac wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 11:01 am tech, does one ticket cover both games?
(not going, just curious)
Qtrs in past, one ticket for both
Hoxwurth

Post by Hoxwurth »

HGK wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 12:25 pm
Finster wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 12:15 pm St. John’s (0-14) had their highest number of goals for the year against Georgetown. I’m going to go ahead and assume that the Wahoos could play their substitutes and score the same if not more as SJ. I can only imagine UVA’s starters if Lasalla goes off at 60%+.

This circular logic is of very little value. Is the fact that Georgetown destroyed Loyola, who beat UMD - who beat UVA give the Hoyas an edge? Of course not. Let’s please not use the SJU game and Yale’s highest goals allowed over a full season as a benchmark for what will happen Saturday.
The season should be reviewed overall. In retrospect, GT's first three games give a good idea about the team's quality: not as good as ND, equivalent to a solid JHU, and probably unlucky against Penn. GT's best games were against Denver. Whether that's the result of Denver-specific matchups or late season improvement isn't clear. I am unsure what to take away from the GT-Loyola game, but Loyola looked thoroughly outclassed by Army in their last game.

GT will score against Virginia's defense, which has improved from porous to serviceable. That "serviceable" level of defense is far superior to anything Yale could muster this season, and Virginia's offense is even better than Yale's. Think it's just as likely we see Virginia's backups getting playing time as GT winning.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”