Duke Vs. Michigan In Quarterfinals

D1 Mens Lacrosse
gymman1031

Duke Vs. Michigan In Quarterfinals

Post by gymman1031 »

Anyone calling the Wolverines’ great run to continue? That offense of theirs could give Duke’s defense fits.
jhu06

Re: Duke Vs. Michigan In Quarterfinals

Post by jhu06 »

Dixon said Michigan described Cohens absence today "as an internal matter"- they could use him next week.
coda

Post by coda »

jhu06 wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 7:52 pm Dixon said Michigan described Cohens absence today "as an internal matter"- they could use him next week.
That leaves a lot to the imagination. Anywhere from back next week to directly to the portal
thegman

Post by thegman »

Would love to see UM take down dook but they don't have a pole like Grant (#81 Delaware). O'neill had a pedestrian day by his standards and the only time he found the net Grant was on the sideline. Wil be pulling hard for UM but I see some matchup problems for them.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

thegman wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 10:19 am Would love to see UM take down dook but they don't have a pole like (Owen) Grant (#81 Delaware). O'Neill had a pedestrian day by his standards and the only time he found the net Grant was on the sideline. Will be pulling hard for UM but I see some matchup problems for them.
Owen Grant must have been instructed that he was number one, doing cover this game instead of freelance, LSM hybrid, transition offense.
He showed he can do cover defense, although actually I think Grant does better cover on larger players rather someone like McAdorey.
But, at the end of the day, Grant or no, that was a pretty awesome goal from O’Neill at a moment where they really needed him to come through.

I don’t know who covers O’Neill,
But UMs defense has done the job over the past month.
coda

Post by coda »

thegman wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 10:19 am Would love to see UM take down dook but they don't have a pole like Grant (#81 Delaware). O'neill had a pedestrian day by his standards and the only time he found the net Grant was on the sideline. Wil be pulling hard for UM but I see some matchup problems for them.
Darby is actually a pretty solid D-Pole. He is 6'2 and 200 pounds, so it should not be a complete mismatch. It is O'Neill, so you can only hope to limit his production. I am probably more worried about Williams dicing up the defense off-ball. ONeill and McAdorey demand so much attention with the ball in their sticks, it gives Williams so much room to work. The biggest improvement in the defense has been in the cage. I think the move to Hunter has taken some pressure off the defense. Carr had a 43% save percentage. Hunter is at 54% on the season. He is at 63% in games he has started (Maryland and Cornell)
Last edited by coda on Mon May 15, 2023 10:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
GaitsRightHand

Post by GaitsRightHand »

coda wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 10:36 am
thegman wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 10:19 am Would love to see UM take down dook but they don't have a pole like Grant (#81 Delaware). O'neill had a pedestrian day by his standards and the only time he found the net Grant was on the sideline. Wil be pulling hard for UM but I see some matchup problems for them.
Darby is actually a pretty solid D-Pole. He is 6'2 and 200 pounds, so it should not be a complete mismatch. It is O'Neill, so you can only hope to limit his production. I am probably more worried about Williams dicing up the defense off-ball. ONeill and McAdorey demand so much attention with the ball in their sticks, it gives Williams so much room to work.
I imagine that #19 Darby would be on O'Neil.
#16 Van Wees on McAdorey.
#14 Whitney on Dyson.

Darby held Kirst scoreless through 3. With him getting 2 goals in the 4th, Kirst was always gonna get his. Don't sleep on Darby or UM's close D...

With that being said, I have Duke. Although, I would love to see Michigan surprise me... again.
stupefied

Post by stupefied »

Wolves were sending help to Kirst every time he had ball. Not sure that they will do same with Oneill who passes well off doubles
random observer

Post by random observer »

As others have noted Darby is no slouch, having shut down not just Kirst, but also TJ Malone (B1G offensive player of the year) twice. O'Neill has improved dramatically as a passer this year, although I would still not say passing out of doubles is a strength of his. Darby and O'Neill actually went toe-to-toe in high school back in 2018, and it was a pretty decent battle (O'Neill had a slight edge in the matchup, but Darby's team won the game).

What I'm more interested is the battle at the face-off X, with Naso against the two headed monster of Wietfeldt and Rowlett. Wietfeldt was actually #1 in the country in FO% going into the game against Cornell, but dropped to #2 after Cascadden's run of wins in the 4th quarter.
Wheels

Post by Wheels »

If Duke doesn't have the ball, it won't matter much of what O'Neill does.

Duke's defense is its Achilles heel, and Michigan has a very good offense that requires more than just one good cover pole. All three of their attack can dodge, shoot, and dish. Now you also see their midfield getting over the top and down the alleys to force defenses to slide.

If Rowlett and Wietfeldt tilt the field and wear down Naso, Michigan can play from ahead. That forces Duke to be hyper efficient on offense and not panic.

That will be the key to the game. I don't think Michigan's defense can hold up in a 50-50 possession kind of game. If they can tilt possessions to 55+%, their offense is going to make life really hard on Duke.
stupefied

Post by stupefied »

Wheels wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 12:02 pm

Duke's defense is its Achilles heel, and Michigan has a very good offense that requires more than just one good cover pole. All three of their attack can dodge, shoot, and dish. Now you also see their midfield getting over the top and down the alleys to force defenses to slide.

If Rowlett and Wietfeldt tilt the field and wear down Naso, Michigan can play from ahead. That forces Duke to be hyper efficient on offense and not panic.

That will be the key to the game. I don't think Michigan's defense can hold up in a 50-50 possession kind of game. If they can tilt possessions to 55+%, their offense is going to make life really hard on Duke.
Intriguing matchup for sure. Ill maintain that Oneill is a underrated and most willing passer as his 39 assists attest so Wolves can't send help as they did with Kirst because ball would rotate. Might be wrong but dont see Duke having as many dodgers in their supporting cast as Cornell .On D , Duke doesn't have a Adler but their poles are considered to be good m2m but do see breakdowns once you get them sliding. Naso has only been under .500 once this year (LaSalla ) Maybe he gets worn down by UM duo but edge may be likelier in goalie play looking at impressive 62% by UM frosh in last three games against good comp. Michigan clearly on a roll , should be a helluva game
Finster

Post by Finster »

stupefied wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 12:53 pm

Intriguing matchup for sure. Ill maintain that Oneill is a underrated and most willing passer as his 39 assists attest so Wolves can't send help as they did with Kirst because ball would rotate. Might be wrong but dont see Duke having as many dodgers in their supporting cast as Cornell .On D , Duke doesn't have a Adler but their poles are considered to be good m2m but do see breakdowns once you get them sliding. Naso has only been under .500 once this year (LaSalla ) Maybe he gets worn down by UM duo but edge may be likelier in goalie play looking at impressive 62% by UM frosh in last three games against good comp. Michigan clearly on a roll , should be a helluva game

I want this game to be close, but I don’t think it will be. I see Duke winning by a decent margin.
IDHen

Post by IDHen »

The three UM attackers are quick, speedy and talented. I think they can take Duke.
thegman

Post by thegman »

Darby is actually a pretty solid D-Pole. He is 6'2 and 200 pounds, so it should not be a complete mismatch. It is O'Neill, so you can only hope to limit his production. I am probably more worried about Williams dicing up the defense off-ball. ONeill and McAdorey demand so much attention with the ball in their sticks, it gives Williams so much room to work. The biggest improvement in the defense has been in the cage. I think the move to Hunter has taken some pressure off the defense. Carr had a 43% save percentage. Hunter is at 54% on the season. He is at 63% in games he has started (Maryland and Cornell)
Didn't mean to knock Darby, far from it. But, 30 lbs difference between Grant (listed at 230)/Darby (200) makes a difference. Maybe I missed a matchup but I haven't seen O'neill muscled all season until that Del game.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

thegman wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 9:34 pm
Didn't mean to knock Darby, far from it. But, 30 lbs difference between Grant (listed at 230)/Darby (200) makes a difference. Maybe I missed a matchup but I haven't seen O'neill muscled all season until that Del game.
Or also,
how often have you seen O’Neill de-twigged ?
coda

Post by coda »

I am not claiming Darby is Owen. He is in discussion for the best in the country. Just saying Darby has faired pretty well this year. Michigan has held up athletically well all year. Bigger issues have been off ball and switching. That is why I mentioned Williams. Duke has 2 elite dodgers, but Williams leads the team in goals.
blue angels

Post by blue angels »

Finster wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 12:55 pm
stupefied wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 12:53 pm

I want this game to be close, but I don’t think it will be. I see Duke winning by a decent margin.
Hard to say , but Duke playing a less than satisfactory 1st game, would concern me that they likely perform much better in the 2nd one. No guarantee, but We shall see.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

coda wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 9:59 pm
I am not claiming Darby is Owen. He is in discussion for the best in the country. Just saying Darby has faired pretty well this year. Michigan has held up athletically well all year. Bigger issues have been off ball and switching. That is why I mentioned Williams. Duke has 2 elite dodgers, but Williams leads the team in goals.
Owen Grant isn’t quite that big, but he’s big enough.
Rarely gets out-leveraged, stick skills are unreal, doesn’t just hack a guy, great hand eye coordination and stick quickness that makes it difficult on attackmen.

O’Neill won’t have to go up against many of the top defensemen now, Grant is out, Makar, Zappitello, Adler, Kenny Brower actually had a very good game but of course O’Neill doesn’t have to go up against Brower.

Darby could be a guy that takes over for these departed or soon to be departed super class of defensemen.
coda

Post by coda »

10stone5 wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 10:31 pm
coda wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 9:59 pm
Owen Grant isn’t quite that big, but he’s big enough.
Rarely gets out-leveraged, stick skills are unreal, doesn’t just hack a guy, great hand eye coordination and stick quickness that makes it difficult on attackmen.

O’Neill won’t have to go up against many of the top defensemen now, Grant is out, Makar, Zappitello, Adler, Kenny Brower actually had a very good game but of course O’Neill doesn’t have to go up against Brower.

Darby could be a guy that takes over for these departed or soon to be departed super class of defensemen.
Darby is in his 5th year. Started 12 games as Freshmen in 2019. He has been the top cover guy for a past 2 years for Michigan. Michigan just hasn’t been very good during his time, so he has been overlooked. He is a very good pole. I don’t think he is in the class you mentioned above, but a guy that has a ton of experience that would help any defense. He will need to play his best game on Saturday
Finster

Post by Finster »

IDHen wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 5:16 pm The three UM attackers are quick, speedy and talented. I think they can take Duke.

Duke’s attack is *sort of* talented as well. Do you think they can ‘take’ Michigan, too?

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”