Tewaaraton Finalist

D1 Mens Lacrosse
laxfan1313

Re: Tewaaraton Finalist

Post by laxfan1313 »

Finster wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 5:05 pm
tech37 wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 5:00 pm What did Kirst have today...I counted one goal?

2 goals one assist. 20% shooting. Michigan keyed on him, as they should. He’s an incredible player. Unless the other fellas flame out going forward, he took a step backward today in this Tewey race, unfortunately. But he’s only a junior, so his time will come this year or next.
O'Neill had a similar game against an arguably weaker opponent. Of course, Duke won so O'Neill will have additional opportunities to impress the committee. Good luck to both.
random observer

Post by random observer »

laxfan1313 wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 7:18 pm
tech37 wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 5:00 pm What did Kirst have today...I counted one goal?

2 goals one assist. 20% shooting. Michigan keyed on him, as they should. He’s an incredible player. Unless the other fellas flame out going forward, he took a step backward today in this Tewey race, unfortunately. But he’s only a junior, so his time will come this year or next.
O'Neill had a similar game against an arguably weaker opponent. Of course, Duke won so O'Neill will have additional opportunities to impress the committee. Good luck to both.
Neither had a great game by their lofty standards, but advantage O'Neill simply from the fact that he now gets more bites at the apple. Having to go against Owen Grant is also no joke (although I think there may not be a more underrated defenseman in the country than Andrew Darby).
Finster

Post by Finster »

random observer wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 7:28 pm
Neither had a great game by their lofty standards, but advantage O'Neill simply from the fact that he now gets more bites at the apple. Having to go against Owen Grant is also no joke (although I think there may not be a more underrated defenseman in the country than Andrew Darby).

Going to agree with Random. O’Neill can continue the quest.

The weekend winner for the Tewey race is ironically the guy who started a distant fifth, Dordevic. I don’t think he can get it unless Georgetown wins the ‘ship snd his numbers are out of sight.

Shellenberger played well with modest numbers. He’s more than alive. UVA revolves around him.

Kavanaugh…I just have such a hard time picking him because I saw his effort in the UVA game. His numbers this weekend were okay. But, that team looks in good shape. So he’s more than alive.

Kirst unfortunately won’t see another opportunity, but I wouldn’t count him out. His year was that good.
random observer

Finster wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 7:39 pm

The weekend winner for the Tewey race is ironically the guy who started a distant fifth, Dordevic. I don’t think he can get it unless Georgetown wins the ‘ship snd his numbers are out of sight.

Shellenberger played well with modest numbers. He’s more than alive. UVA revolves around him.

Kavanaugh…I just have such a hard time picking him because I saw his effort in the UVA game. His numbers this weekend were okay. But, that team looks in good shape. So he’s more than alive.

Kirst unfortunately won’t see another opportunity, but I wouldn’t count him out. His year was that good.
Didn't Shelly put up the same number of points as Dordevic? Nonetheless I can't see him winning given the injury-induced midseason swoon unless UVA wins and he goes nuclear in the postseason. Ditto for Dordevic. Feels like it's O'Neill's to lose now with Kav behind him. Kirst probably out of the running unless neither Duke nor ND make the final four.
lorin

Post by lorin »

random observer wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 7:58 pm

Didn't Shelly put up the same number of points as Dordevic? Nonetheless I can't see him winning given the injury-induced midseason swoon unless UVA wins and he goes nuclear in the postseason. Ditto for Dordevic. Feels like it's O'Neill's to lose now with Kav behind him. Kirst probably out of the running unless neither Duke nor ND make the final four.
Did u watch Duke game today?
Finster

Post by Finster »

Yes, but I’ve seen Richmond twice, and they’re just not that impressive. Shellenberger was 2 and 4 for 6.

Dordevic got 6 goals against a much better team. And Kavanaugh actually got 7 points, but against Utah. I think the committee considers the opponent.

My call is they’re all alive until proven otherwise. It’s anyones trophy. Last year seemed so easy, looking at Wisnauskas’s year and expecting Maryland in the final. This year seems like a real race. We’ll never know what Kirst would’ve done if Cornell had won, but I really feel he would’ve exploded.

But I agree: it’s O’Neill in the lead.
coda

Post by coda »

Finster wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 8:15 pm

Yes, but I’ve seen Richmond twice, and they’re just not that impressive. Shellenberger was 2 and 4 for 6.

Dordevic got 6 goals against a much better team. And Kavanaugh actually got 7 points, but against Utah. I think the committee considers the opponent.

My call is they’re all alive until proven otherwise. It’s anyones trophy. Last year seemed so easy, looking at Wisnauskas’s year and expecting Maryland in the final. This year seems like a real race.

Yale is a much better team than Richmond, but I am not sure their defense is much better than anyone’s. That said I completely agree it is ONeill’s to lose. Seems like it is 2 man race with ONeill and Kavanaugh. Shelly is still a live long shot though. He has the resume and if he is the best player of the field over his next 3 games, people will overlook the injury plagued regular season.
blue angels

Post by blue angels »

My call is they’re all alive until proven otherwise. It’s anyones trophy. Last year seemed so easy, looking at Wisnauskas’s year and expecting Maryland in the final. This year seems like a real race. We’ll never know what Kirst would’ve done if Cornell had won, but I really feel he would’ve exploded.

was very impressed by Adler. Not so much Cornell or Kirst today anyway. It was no fluke the #4 team in the Big 10 beat them. Michigan was just better. Princeton is ahead early against Penn State. Hoping they hold on or a complete fail performanace by the Ivy League in the tournament.
pcowlax

Post by pcowlax »

blue angels wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 8:34 pm

was very impressed by Adler. Not so much Cornell or Kirst today anyway. It was no fluke the #4 team in the Big 10 beat them. Michigan was just better. Princeton is ahead early against Penn State. Hoping they hold on or a complete fail performanace by the Ivy League in the tournament.
At this point it’s pretty disingenuous to call Michigan the 4th best team in the Big 10. Cornell certainly played them tougher than Maryland and they swatted Penn St. too
coda

Post by coda »

pcowlax wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 8:49 pm

At this point it’s pretty disingenuous to call Michigan the 4th best team in the Big 10. Cornell certainly played them tougher than Maryland and they swatted Penn St. too
Big 10 was an odd conference. A lot of good teams, but I didn’t see a great team. Hard to put them in front of PSU (1-1 vs them both tight games) or JHU (0-1). You can argue about Maryland, but somehow the committee had them at 4 (which I thought was very generous). That is a long way to say I don’t think there was a lot of separation in the conference
blue angels

Post by blue angels »

pcowlax wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 8:49 pm

On what basis is it disingenuous? Michigan was seeded 4th in the Big 10 tournament only a week or so ago behind Penn State, Maryland, and Hopkins at season's end. What and why should they be considered different just because they won the tournament?
pcowlax

Post by pcowlax »

Because they are obviously playing a hell of a lot better than that now? They were indeed the 4th seed. They also just won the Big 10 tournament. Seems to me that you could then argue they were the best team in the conference. It’s not like this is MLB with 162 game seasons where you very much settle to your level. In college lax seasons with 6 or 7 teams in a conference, the difference between the 2nd seed and the 5th is often one goal in one game and some tie breakers. They stomped Maryland twice. Did you watch those games. They play 10 times, Michigan wins at least 8. They were head and shoulders the better team. They split with the #1 seed, lost by 2, won by 2. Penn St. is materially better? They were as good as any of the teams in the conference earlier in the year and currently, along with Hopkins (but who knows because of the gift they got with Bryant) they are playing the best. A great effort by Cornell against an extremely strong team that is rolling at the right time of the year.
UVAlaxfan

Post by UVAlaxfan »

Gobigred wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 6:23 am
UVAlaxfan wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 12:41 am LOL you will find out when there are three acc teams in the final four.
That would be three more than last year.
Ivies looking solid.
blue angels

Post by blue angels »

pcowlax wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 9:48 pm Because they are obviously playing a hell of a lot better than that now? They were indeed the 4th seed. They also just won the Big 10 tournament. Seems to me that you could then argue they were the best team in the conference. It’s not like this is MLB with 162 game seasons where you very much settle to your level. In college lax seasons with 6 or 7 teams in a conference, the difference between the 2nd seed and the 5th is often one goal in one game and some tie breakers. They stomped Maryland twice. Did you watch those games. They play 10 times, Michigan wins at least 8. They were head and shoulders the better team. They split with the #1 seed, lost by 2, won by 2. Penn St. is materially better? They were as good as any of the teams in the conference earlier in the year and currently, along with Hopkins (but who knows because of the gift they got with Bryant) they are playing the best. A great effort by Cornell against an extremely strong team that is rolling at the right time of the year.
They ended the regular season a couple of weeks ago at 9-6 with losses to Marquette, Rutgers, Hopkins, PSU, Notre dame and Virginia. If they win the NCAA, they would be National champs but until, they are the #4 ranked team from the big 10. The Ivy league apparently is horribly overrrated so not sure what a win over Cornell really means yet. the Ivys played weaker schedules and it showed this weekend when they came up against battle tested teams and all lost in the 1st round.
BetweenTheLines

Post by BetweenTheLines »

Finster wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 7:39 pm Kavanaugh…I just have such a hard time picking him because I saw his effort in the UVA game. His numbers this weekend were okay.
Finster wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 8:15 pm And Kavanaugh actually got 7 points, but against Utah. I think the committee considers the opponent.
7 = ok?

Race is still wide open. Dordevic, Shellenberger, or Kavanagh on the rise. O'Neill probably neutral, got points against a good D, but 1 of 8 shooting and the lone goal when Grant was in the penalty box.
2023 2024
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

BetweenTheLines wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 10:21 pm
Finster wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 7:39 pm Kavanaugh…I just have such a hard time picking him because I saw his effort in the UVA game. His numbers this weekend were okay.
Finster wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 8:15 pm And Kavanaugh actually got 7 points, but against Utah. I think the committee considers the opponent.
7 = ok?

Race is still wide open. Dordevic, Shellenberger, or Kavanagh on the rise. O'Neill probably neutral, got points against a good D, but 1 of 8 shooting and the lone goal when Grant was in the penalty box.
Well,
maybe that says something about Owen Grant, though.
ctbagataway

Post by ctbagataway »

But defensive players don’t count according to those who choose this award’s winners.
pcowlax

Post by pcowlax »

blue angels wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 10:11 pm
pcowlax wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 9:48 pm Because they are obviously playing a hell of a lot better than that now? They were indeed the 4th seed. They also just won the Big 10 tournament. Seems to me that you could then argue they were the best team in the conference. It’s not like this is MLB with 162 game seasons where you very much settle to your level. In college lax seasons with 6 or 7 teams in a conference, the difference between the 2nd seed and the 5th is often one goal in one game and some tie breakers. They stomped Maryland twice. Did you watch those games. They play 10 times, Michigan wins at least 8. They were head and shoulders the better team. They split with the #1 seed, lost by 2, won by 2. Penn St. is materially better? They were as good as any of the teams in the conference earlier in the year and currently, along with Hopkins (but who knows because of the gift they got with Bryant) they are playing the best. A great effort by Cornell against an extremely strong team that is rolling at the right time of the year.
They ended the regular season a couple of weeks ago at 9-6 with losses to Marquette, Rutgers, Hopkins, PSU, Notre dame and Virginia. If they win the NCAA, they would be National champs but until, they are the #4 ranked team from the big 10. The Ivy league apparently is horribly overrrated so not sure what a win over Cornell really means yet. the Ivys played weaker schedules and it showed this weekend when they came up against battle tested teams and all lost in the 1st round.
This is a silly discussion but if you insist, Michigan will be recorded as, and therefore currently is, the 2023 Big 10 Champion. One conferences have a conference tournament, the tourney winner is the champ. Teams in a conference are never “ranked” anyway. They were seeded 4th but came out as the conference champ. Does that make them the best team? Just as much as the 4th seed made them the 4th best team.
Chousnake

Post by Chousnake »

Yes, it was a down year for the Ivies, but the BIG 10 has nothing to brag about. The Big 10 came within two possessions (OT Cornell/Michigan and 1 goal game PSU/Princeton) from having only 1 of 4 teams (three seeded) advance to the final 8 and Hopkins played the weakest team of the 16 this weekend. There's quite a bit of parity among the top 12 twelve teams or so. I think you can get down off your pedestal now.
random observer

blue angels wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 10:11 pm
As pcowlax pointed out, by your own logic Michigan is already the #1 team in the B1G by virtue of having won the conference championship.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”