Long Island 2023

HS Boys Lacrosse
kr522

Re: Long Island 2023

Post by kr522 »

LI13 wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 12:05 pm
kr522 wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 10:53 am
fordmaddoxford wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 9:48 am Varsity Media (YouTube).
Muchas gracias….you have a prediction?
I like Manhasset by 2 or 3. Yeah, Chaminade is deeper and more athletic, but Manhasset has edges where it really counts - FO and goal - and with as many possessions as they are likely going to get, I like their chances.

Going 11-9 Manhasset.

I hope you’re right but I think it goes the other way by a couple goals. I don’t think Manhasset has the dominant shooters that St Anthony’s had so I suspect their goalie will look a lot better. I think this will be a good test of Manhasset’s defense
kr522

Post by kr522 »

xcoach wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 12:25 pm I've seen more than 30 high school games on LI, so far this spring, mostly in Suffolk. The A Division in Suffolk is wide open. WM and Northport, while somewhat less formidable than previous teams, are very well-coached. Connetquot has the excellent 1-2 punch of McCarthy and Moore along with some role players who have improved down the stretch. The dark horse in A is Half Hollow Hills,a team that is reliant on a large number of freshman and sophomores, led by midfield savant, Anthony Raio. I've seen him play 4 times, and he NEVER disappoints. IMHO, he could play SSDM at the college level right now. He literally never leaves the field. I've seen him "D up" every star middie he's faced, all players heading to major D 1 programs next year. On offense he scores in multiple ways, every game. The cool thing about his offense is that he doesn't' force anything, getting goals and assists in the flow of a team offense. He's an instant clear when needed, and he's relentless on GB"s. Against Connetquot he scored twice on goal to goal "punt returns" where he blew by 2 Division 1 recruits on his way to the goal. Needless to say, all of the major college powers should be in on him, and if they're not, they're negligent. Hills is also getting a terrific season out of D1 recruit (Towson) A Cosentino. He does a nice job running the offense in a very mature way, understanding pace of game and situational opportunities.
I'm heading to a critical B contest today when Comsewogue visits West Islip. The Lions ran off 8 straight wins after a shaky start, but suffered an OT loss to BBP after leading 7-2, and then surprisingly, lost to a resurgent Islip squad. Comsewogue always comes on at this time of year, so the B should come down to them, WI, and a young, well-coached EI team. C looks like a lock for Mt Sinai, whose coaching staff does one of the best jobs of player development on LI. D should be the domain of Mattituck, but a very young Babylon team may not be an easy out.
LI13 has been waiting all season for you to show up! He needs a Suffolk buddy
LI13

Post by LI13 »

kr522 wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 4:31 pm
xcoach wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 12:25 pm I've seen more than 30 high school games on LI, so far this spring, mostly in Suffolk. The A Division in Suffolk is wide open. WM and Northport, while somewhat less formidable than previous teams, are very well-coached. Connetquot has the excellent 1-2 punch of McCarthy and Moore along with some role players who have improved down the stretch. The dark horse in A is Half Hollow Hills,a team that is reliant on a large number of freshman and sophomores, led by midfield savant, Anthony Raio. I've seen him play 4 times, and he NEVER disappoints. IMHO, he could play SSDM at the college level right now. He literally never leaves the field. I've seen him "D up" every star middie he's faced, all players heading to major D 1 programs next year. On offense he scores in multiple ways, every game. The cool thing about his offense is that he doesn't' force anything, getting goals and assists in the flow of a team offense. He's an instant clear when needed, and he's relentless on GB"s. Against Connetquot he scored twice on goal to goal "punt returns" where he blew by 2 Division 1 recruits on his way to the goal. Needless to say, all of the major college powers should be in on him, and if they're not, they're negligent. Hills is also getting a terrific season out of D1 recruit (Towson) A Cosentino. He does a nice job running the offense in a very mature way, understanding pace of game and situational opportunities.
I'm heading to a critical B contest today when Comsewogue visits West Islip. The Lions ran off 8 straight wins after a shaky start, but suffered an OT loss to BBP after leading 7-2, and then surprisingly, lost to a resurgent Islip squad. Comsewogue always comes on at this time of year, so the B should come down to them, WI, and a young, well-coached EI team. C looks like a lock for Mt Sinai, whose coaching staff does one of the best jobs of player development on LI. D should be the domain of Mattituck, but a very young Babylon team may not be an easy out.
Yeah back in the day we had enough people to have a thread just about Suffolk A!
JoeMauer89

Post by JoeMauer89 »

LI13 wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 7:43 pm
Yeah back in the day we had enough people to have a thread just about Suffolk A!
Where's Blue Warrior when you need him?

Joe
kr522

Post by kr522 »

JoeMauer89 wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 9:11 pm

Joe
And Stickhead!
LI13

Post by LI13 »

kr522 wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 9:23 pm

Joe
And Stickhead!
I could track down stickhead, probably. It's been probably four years since we talked. But I'm facebook friends with his son still. I miss him on here.
JoeMauer89

Post by JoeMauer89 »

LI13 wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 9:29 pm
kr522 wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 9:23 pm

Joe
And Stickhead!
I could track down stickhead, probably. It's been probably four years since we talked. But I'm facebook friends with his son still. I miss him on here.
Stickhead was the OG!

Joe
kr522

Post by kr522 »

He was a great guy on these pages, and a nice guy in person….I met him once with Murf. He sure knew his LI lacrosse even if he was hopelessly biased to Suffolk :D
wahoomurf

Post by wahoomurf »

kr522 wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 10:01 pm He was a great guy on these pages, and a nice guy in person….I met him once with Murf. He sure knew his LI lacrosse even if he was hopelessly biased to Suffolk :D
Stick was SUI GENERIS and claimed he was the champion "s**t stirrer" on LaxPower. His son played at Limestone and graduated the same year his son's best buddy Miles Jones graduated from Duke. Stick was planning to move south but I'm not sure if he did.The phone # I had for him was disconnected.

He challenged me to cross Route 110 and "watch some great H.S. lacrosse". Which I did,many times. Hell one year I watched more WM,Northport and Smithtown E&W games than I did GC and Chaminade ones. He in turn came to a few,very few games on this side of 110. All in good fun.His younger son Vincent often came along with him and always charmed the fans.

Stick's funny and often biting comments and posts are missed.Sitting with him at a game and listening to his "observations" was unforgettable.
WaffleTwineFaceoff

Post by WaffleTwineFaceoff »

wahoomurf wrote: Sat May 13, 2023 1:57 pm
kr522 wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 10:01 pm He was a great guy on these pages, and a nice guy in person….I met him once with Murf. He sure knew his LI lacrosse even if he was hopelessly biased to Suffolk :D
Stick was SUI GENERIS and claimed he was the champion "s**t stirrer" on LaxPower. His son played at Limestone and graduated the same year his son's best buddy Miles Jones graduated from Duke. Stick was planning to move south but I'm not sure if he did.The phone # I had for him was disconnected.

He challenged me to cross Route 110 and "watch some great H.S. lacrosse". Which I did,many times. Hell one year I watched more WM,Northport and Smithtown E&W games than I did GC and Chaminade ones. He in turn came to a few,very few games on this side of 110. All in good fun.His younger son Vincent often came along with him and always charmed the fans.

Stick's funny and often biting comments and posts are missed.Sitting with him at a game and listening to his "observations" was unforgettable.
Nice anecdotes. Thanks for sharing!
The only freedom which deserves the name is that of pursuing our own good in our own way, so long as we do not attempt to deprive others of theirs, or impede their efforts to obtain it. John Stuart Mill On Liberty 1859
kr522

Post by kr522 »

Exciting first half 5-5, with the game being tied by Manhasset at the buzzer. Manhasset missed on about 4-5 Grade A chances, with 2 goals called back for stepping in the crease when they didn’t have to. Both goalies playing great. One notable difference to me vs the St Anthony’s game, is Manhasset’s patient style on offense might play into the Flyers hands. St Anthony’s attacked constantly and created a lot of transition offense. Chaminade seems to be more settled on D here where they do a good job stick checking…they’re very aggressive and creating a lot of ground balls
kr522

Post by kr522 »

Now 8-7 after 3. Girard starting to dominate, and Manhasset looks stronger, but Chaminade’s ride and pressure D are leveling things a lot. It feels like they have 5 long poles out there….doesn’t seem like Manhasset is doing enough to target the SSD’s when they’re on offense. Whoever has Fox on him should not be driving to the cage
kr522

Post by kr522 »

10=-9 flyers….congrats to Chaminade. Feels like that one slipped away
JoeMauer89

Post by JoeMauer89 »

Chaminade 10 Manhasset 9 Final.

Great game. Could have gone either way. Credit to Ball on the face-off win after the go-ahead goal. Looks like Girard lost his footing, take nothing away from Quinn. This loss will ultimately help Manhasset in the long run, as I said this could have easily gone their way. Now, they regroup and build their way towards a showdown with Mt. Sinai in a few weeks. Looking forward to it!

Joe
flyerfan17

Post by flyerfan17 »

JoeMauer89 wrote: Sat May 13, 2023 4:00 pm Chaminade 10 Manhasset 9 Final.

Great game. Could have gone either way. Credit to Ball on the face-off win after the go-ahead goal. Looks like Girard lost his footing, take nothing away from Quinn. This loss will ultimately help Manhasset in the long run, as I said this could have easily gone their way. Now, they regroup and build their way towards a showdown with Mt. Sinai in a few weeks. Looking forward to it!

Joe
In the understatement of the year it's not easy to go undefeated. Loved taking the goalie out coming out of the TO and it worked. Still waiting for Set to take a shot at the end...
CTlaxer12

Post by CTlaxer12 »

What a wonderful win by the Flyers. I agree with Kr, the pace of play really played into Chaminade’s hands. The face off win in the closing moments of the game was legend making. At the risk of sounding childish and churlish, I compliment both the Flyers and Friars on two fantastic seasons. As suspected, these are the two top teams on LI and leave me wanting a round 3 - though I know we aren’t getting that this year.
LI13

Post by LI13 »

Disappointed I was wrong about Manhasset. Us public schoolers need a win every now and then.
wahoomurf

Post by wahoomurf »

So far I haven't viewed a condescending word from a specific MHS "fan".His comments re: MHS's OT win over a competitor was infantile.

Chaminade scored 1 more goal than it's opponent.Ergo,Chaminade won.Surprised there were no "if onlys", "we should haves" or "they were luckys " and other such crap.
wahoomurf

Post by wahoomurf »

kr522 wrote: Fri Apr 14, 2023 7:48 am
LI13 wrote: Fri Apr 14, 2023 12:18 am
Kismet wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2023 9:34 pm GC lost by 1 with 7 seconds left to Woodlands TX
Disappointing trip, that is for sure.
No doubt. Also shows how tough it is to travel, which highlights how great St Anthony’s is doing. That game vs St John’s was pretty impressive athleticism by both teams
GC only had to travel 1900 miles.Both H-P and the Woodlands have a slew of terrific athletes,some of whom will play lacrosse at many D-1 schools. Pressler was highly complementary to former Dookie Finnell (Sr) about how hard both teams played.
LI13

Post by LI13 »

Suffolk A brackets will almost surely be released tomorrow, BTW

Return to “HS BOYS LACROSSE”