Maryland 2023

D1 Mens Lacrosse
PulpExposure

Re: Maryland 2023

Post by PulpExposure »

Listen it’s ok. The Terps had a down year. You know 10-6 and the 4th seed in the NCAA tournament. It happens. JHU69, nice of you to come on this board and gloat a bit but remind me, before this year, when was the last time Hopkins had a similar “down year.”

Regardless, every team has injuries but the Terps were really struck by them on some important and high end players. Malevar and McNaney both missed the whole year, zap was out at the end of the year, and Geppert was banged up almost of the year even when he could play. That’s multiple all Americans…most teams don’t even field that kind of talent let alone have it on the injury list.

Young offense that will be better next year. Life goes on.
masondixonlax

Post by masondixonlax »

Bmk2222 wrote: Sat May 13, 2023 10:16 pm
JHU69 wrote: Sat May 13, 2023 10:11 pm And now a litany of moaning terps :lol:
Dude why would you taunt the Terps? I grew up walking distance to your school, grandfather a Dr from your school, I went to lax camp every summer at your school……
With the Terps out there is no team I’d pull for harder than you…..
What’s your problem….
Inferiority complex cause hops been mostly irrelevant since Rabil
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

PulpExposure wrote: Sat May 13, 2023 10:17 pm Listen it’s ok. The Terps had a down year. You know 10-6 and the 4th seed in the NCAA tournament. It happens. JHU69, nice of you to come on this board and gloat a bit but remind me, before this year, when was the last time Hopkins had a similar “down year.”

Regardless, every team has injuries but the Terps were really struck by them on some important and high end players. Malevar and McNaney both missed the whole year, zap was out at the end of the year, and Geppert was banged up almost of the year even when he could play. That’s multiple all Americans…most teams don’t even field that kind of talent let alone have it on the injury list.

+1
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
Bmk2222

Post by Bmk2222 »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sat May 13, 2023 10:18 pm
PulpExposure wrote: Sat May 13, 2023 10:17 pm Listen it’s ok. The Terps had a down year. You know 10-6 and the 4th seed in the NCAA tournament. It happens. JHU69, nice of you to come on this board and gloat a bit but remind me, before this year, when was the last time Hopkins had a similar “down year.”

+1
+2
JHU69

Post by JHU69 »

masondixonlax wrote: Sat May 13, 2023 10:13 pm
Lol terps lose, hop fans gloat. hop loses… no one on md forums gives a hoot

Wonder why that is
Ya'll boast way more than we do :roll:
I believe that if life gives you lemons, you should make lemonade... And try to find somebody whose life has given them vodka, and have a party.
masondixonlax

Post by masondixonlax »

JHU69 wrote: Sat May 13, 2023 10:20 pm

Wonder why that is
??? We come into your forum to brag like you boneheads do?
Bmk2222

Post by Bmk2222 »

masondixonlax wrote: Sat May 13, 2023 10:21 pm

Wonder why that is
I’d never post on another teams thread…..
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Wheels wrote: Sat May 13, 2023 10:07 pm
10stone5 wrote: Sat May 13, 2023 10:02 pm He’s a freshman, for crying out loud.

He steps in for one of the top Terp goalies ever.

You have to give credit to the Cadets here,
instead of looking for someone to blame.

Too many injuries this year,
too many graduates from last year,
the past two classes still developing,
they still almost pulled it off.
That's not the standard at Maryland. It's just not. It'd be one thing if Army had been hitting insane shots or pinging corners. They weren't. Freshman or not, he has to make some of those saves. Goalie play was the difference in the game. Dent made normal and spectacular saves. He was the difference. He is why Army is advancing.
Goalie play was obviously the difference, Dent was indeed spectacular and Ruppel was not, indisputably. Game ball for sure Dent.

But my son and I, both tenders, agreed that Army absolutely shot the lights out. Sure, a couple not, but most of those were fabulous shots from great scoring positions.

The big difference was that every Army player wanted the ball in his stick and to take the shot. Unselfish but always looking to get a chance to rip it, whereas UMD players often looked like they didn't want the rock, didn't look at the goal...obviously some did, but the energy factor, the hunger factor was on Army's side most of the game. However, when Army FOGO got in foul trouble, the field tilted to UMD. But when that was relieved in the second half, a battle again.

Great game, outstanding goaltending on one end, especially at crunch time.
NYterp09

Post by NYterp09 »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Sat May 13, 2023 10:25 pm
Wheels wrote: Sat May 13, 2023 10:07 pm
10stone5 wrote: Sat May 13, 2023 10:02 pm He’s a freshman, for crying out loud.

He steps in for one of the top Terp goalies ever.

You have to give credit to the Cadets here,
instead of looking for someone to blame.

Too many injuries this year,
too many graduates from last year,
the past two classes still developing,
they still almost pulled it off.
That's not the standard at Maryland. It's just not. It'd be one thing if Army had been hitting insane shots or pinging corners. They weren't. Freshman or not, he has to make some of those saves. Goalie play was the difference in the game. Dent made normal and spectacular saves. He was the difference. He is why Army is advancing.
Goalie play was obviously the difference, Dent was indeed spectacular and Ruppel was not, indisputably. Game ball for sure Dent.

But my son and I, both tenders, agreed that Army absolutely shot the lights out. Sure, a couple not, but most of those were fabulous shots from great scoring positions.

The big difference was that every Army player wanted the ball in his stick and to take the shot. Unselfish but always looking to get a chance to rip it, whereas UMD players often looked like they didn't want the rock, didn't look at the goal...obviously some did, but the energy factor, the hunger factor was on Army's side most of the game. However, when Army FOGO got in foul trouble, the field tilted to UMD. But when that was relieved in the second half, a battle again.

Great game, outstanding goaltending on one end, especially at crunch time.
Hard disagree. If Ruppel makes just the routine saves tonight the terps win easily. I saw nothing special from Army’s offense, just dudes absolutely feasting on a practically empty net.
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

Well that sucked.

Think there needs to be some re-evaluation from the coaching staff. I don’t think they necessarily did a bad job this year, but this is a program built on fundamentals and situational lacrosse and they were not good at either this year and it wasn’t just the freshmen. Thought the offensive rotations needed to be better in games down the stretch. The second midfield simply was just more productive than the first and too often didn’t get shifts. Spanos honestly shouldn’t have been leaving the field often at all last few games. And I don’t know what was happening with the one quarter a game where defense would just break down with bad slides when they weren’t needed but it wasn’t good. Felt like there was some meat left on the bone in terms of process if not in terms of overall result.

At the end of the day, injuries simply caved the team in. Malever on this team with Erksa at the end of the year and they’re scoring buckets of goals. McNaney in goal and this is a 5 goal win and you can probably give this team 2 other wins this year. Zappitello in there and things are probably less disjointed as well. People will say the team shouldn’t have been ranked #1 or #2 or whatever and perhaps true, but 14 games lost from McNaney, 4 from Zappitello, 4 or 5 where Murphy was a man-up player only. This wasn’t the team that started in January. And obviously doesn’t even account for Malever. Could have used Coffman and Cope at shortie too. The ceiling kept getting diminished as the year went on unfortunately, even if there were other disappointments as well. Program has had an incredibly run of injury luck over the last decade but I think they gave it all back this year.

I do think losing the chance to get valuable playing experience as I posted earlier is a missed opportunity. Just needed to find a way to get the win tonight. Couple more saves. Get that goal at the end. Win in OT. Just win. Get to Quarterfinal or esp Philly. And this team is in such a good spot next few years already being playoff winners in addition to developing their skills. But the future is still bright and this is a title contender immediately. McNaney back in goal is who he is. Schaller looked like an absolute stud when he stepped in for Zaps. One more year of Zaps as well. Makar is a loss but I think Zaps and Schaller has the potential to be a helluva pair and with Burlace you have a very good close D group. Larkin hopefully can step in to replenish LSM depth. We’ll see what happens with Trader but either way they have depth and talent to work with at shortie in Kolar and Redd. And offensively the nucleus is here. Erksa is a superstar. He has all the skills and wants the moment. Spanos didn’t hit the freshman wall but got better. Whittier is a heckuva player. Put Malever back in and you have a great 4 right there. Plenty of options as well back but those 4 are all matchup winners and you have guys who were drawing poles this year now drawing shorties. Another year of like and Sean Creter a 5* FOGO coming in getting to be an understudy and spelling him some.

We’re spoiled. No one has had the run we’ve had or anything close. Years like this happen. It sucks more because we should have won and another run was on the table but sometimes just not your night. We’ll see what happens with portal, do think they need to make some moves there, not major ones though if something comes open then maybe, but they have roles they should try and fill through it. If this is as bad as it gets, we got it pretty good.

Go Terps
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

I did not expect to lose the returning scorer off last years team to a torn ACL, the goaltender with a 35-1 career record to a torn ACL in the second game of the season, the leading returning goal scorer on the team to have a high ankle sprain and be relegated to spot shooting man up duty for basically all of conference play, and a First Team All-American defensemen to break his hand and miss the entire playoffs.

But if everyone had that on their bingo cards, congrats!
willowglen

Post by willowglen »

I was impressed by Maryland and the game tonight supported the view Maryland is an elite program. This sounds odd after a loss but the team battled back after a poor start - and really - while all credit goes to the Army goalie, he played a surreal game - in that sense Maryland ran into some weird luck.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Wonder why that is
JHU69, who judging by his username graduated college more than a half century ago, is being annoying.

But to answer your question, yes, you do. In fact, on March 25th, you posted there, and I quote, “Only team I see them beating the rest of the season is Ohio State and that will be a toss-up too.”

Here’s the post: https://fanlax.com/forum/viewtopic.php? ... 54#p446154

You sure seemed to give a hoot then.

Not sure anyone from the Hopkins thread would be trolling you here if you didn’t establish it yourself, so nice work. Breathtaking hypocrisy.

As for the game, I was way off, I thought the Terps would handle an undermanned Army team. I didn’t understand Bernhardt’s defensive gameplan and the goaltending certainly didn’t help. They’ll be back and better and healthier next year.
masondixonlax

Post by masondixonlax »

HopFan16 wrote: Sat May 13, 2023 10:47 pm

Wonder why that is
JHU69, who judging by his username graduated college more than a half century ago, is being annoying.

But to answer your question, yes, you do. In fact, on March 25th, you posted there, and I quote, “Only team I see them beating the rest of the season is Ohio State and that will be a toss-up too.”

Not sure anyone from the Hopkins thread would be trolling you here if you didn’t establish it yourself, so nice work. Breathtaking hypocrisy.

As for the game, I was way off, I thought the Terps would handle an undermanned Army team. I didn’t understand Bernhardt’s defensive gameplan and the goaltending certainly didn’t help. They’ll be back and better and healthier next year.
Loll. Oh man, you do whatever you gotta do to support your point. I made a prediction…. Not sure how you call that giving a hoot or bragging…but you do you.. And in fact come to think of it I also said in the hop forum earlier this year that hop is back! And looks like they are the real deal ( I can reference it for you and save you the time!!!) Not to come in and rag when y’all lost.

Nice try though. Maybe keep digging through my post thread. I’m sure you will find some nuggets since ya got nothing better to do.
Last edited by masondixonlax on Sat May 13, 2023 11:01 pm, edited 3 times in total.
JHU69

Post by JHU69 »

Wonder why that is

You have confused me with masondickless
I believe that if life gives you lemons, you should make lemonade... And try to find somebody whose life has given them vodka, and have a party.
keno in reno

Post by keno in reno »

Not a Be the Best team and that was before injuries to 4 starters. Offsides calls all year were not typical of Tillman's teams. I would assume every offensive position next year is up for grabs except Erksa, maybe Spanos and presumably Malever if he's healthy.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

masondixonlax wrote: Sat May 13, 2023 10:55 pm

Wonder why that is

Loll. Oh man, you do whatever you gotta do to support your point. I made a prediction…. Not sure how you call that bragging, but hey I’m just a dumb college park grad.. And in fact come to think of it I also said in the hop forum earlier this year that hop is back! And looks like the real deal. Not to come in and rag when y’all lost. But eh I guess I need to look up definition of bragging, they don’t teach stuff like that at college park.

Nice try though. Maybe keep digging through my post thread. I’m sure you will find some nuggets since ya got nothing better to do
It wasn’t hard because you have a ton of posts like that trolling Hopkins fans. Don’t act innocent. It’s also weird you keep ragging on your own education. No one said anything about that.

Maybe just sit this one out and let the more level-headed Terp fans like Wheels and jrn19 talk about the game without you freaking out clogging up the thread because a 76 year old Hopkins fan trolled you after you’ve been doing the same thing all season?
masondixonlax

Post by masondixonlax »

HopFan16 wrote: Sat May 13, 2023 11:01 pm
masondixonlax wrote: Sat May 13, 2023 10:55 pm

Wonder why that is

Loll. Oh man, you do whatever you gotta do to support your point. I made a prediction…. Not sure how you call that bragging, but hey I’m just a dumb college park grad.. And in fact come to think of it I also said in the hop forum earlier this year that hop is back! And looks like the real deal. Not to come in and rag when y’all lost. But eh I guess I need to look up definition of bragging, they don’t teach stuff like that at college park.

Nice try though. Maybe keep digging through my post thread. I’m sure you will find some nuggets since ya got nothing better to do
It wasn’t hard because you have a ton of posts like that trolling Hopkins fans. Don’t act innocent. It’s also weird you keep ragging on your own education. No one said anything about that.

Maybe just sit this one out and let the more level-headed Terp fans like Wheels and jrn19 talk about the game without you freaking out clogging up the thread because a 76 year old Hopkins fan trolled you after you’ve been doing the same thing all season?

Go to your hop forum. Or go dig through my posts. I made a post on your forum making a prediction. Sorry I hurt you
MoralTerpitude

Post by MoralTerpitude »

Wheels wrote: Sat May 13, 2023 10:14 pm Army turned the ball over 17 times. The Terps turned it over only 7 (fewest of the season). The Terps got up 47 shots, of which they put 31 on goal. That's one of their better shooting performances of the year. Wierman ran hot and cold (although it was, um, something that Coletti was able to play Wierman and not the ball on many face-offs...), but he still finished above 50%.

Teams got their licks in on Maryland this year, and they enjoyed it. As they should. The Terps offense next year is going to look more like 2022 than it did this year. They'll need at least 2 new shorties and a LSM. I'd expect their defense to be very good again.

Just like 2019 fueled the 2021 and 2022 runs, this year will fuel the next two years.
Guessing Larkin will slot in at LSM, to pair with MacDonald. Why two SSDMs? They have Trader/Kolar/Redd, Wicks will presumably play a bigger role, and Gibbons for transition play. Max I would think they need only one shortie.

They return their entire offense except Long, and add back Malever. Same with all of their specialists. They lose Makar, Geppert, Lacey.

This could be alot like 2022 in that they have a stacked roster, so a couple of key transfers could put them over the top. As it is they have a top-4 roster.
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

If you don't take Trader as a guarantee, you're down to 2. He could be back, but could not. Best to play for the worst case scenario. You can never have enough shortie depth. 4 is optimum. I think you get 1 from the portal minimum for sure, seems like they have 1 lined up, and you could bump someone internally up. Also could take someone and you just have more options.

I think I'd keep Schaller at close. He looked terrific down there. The way he played Angelus in the Hop game was so impressive and he was good again tonight. Larkin's best skills are what he can do off the ground and in transition as well so he fits well as an LSM. I do think they should target another if they can find one though. Good to have 3 - we saw last year in the Princeton game that you can get down thin quick - and McDonald has room to grow.

Offensively, I'd go for a shooter in the portal. Said it before, think someone like what they got from Griffin Brown in 2021 is what they need. The shooting will improve next year through creating much better looks in tight and more time and room shoots but they simply don't have great shooters. Next year if you have Erksa/Malever/Kelly/Spanos/Whittier as your core 5, that's an incredibly promising 5 with 4 guys who all demand a pole and the ball movement should be tremendous. But you still don't have a shooter. Kelly is good from the wing and a good finisher but you need that stretch guy from the MF with Spanos and Whittier; one of whom will be a great dodger and the other a great passer. Just would be seamless. Perhaps Murphy could fill that role on that line but he never seems quite as comfortable at MF as he does at A even if the roles/positions are nebulous in the offense these days.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”