D1 Mens Lacrosse
blue angels

Re: Tewaaraton Finalist

Post by blue angels »

10stone5 wrote: Thu May 11, 2023 2:41 pm Adler isn’t hype,

he’s a lacrosse savant,

someone posted the players he has shut down from prior games,
it was a pretty dramatic testament.

I’d assume he was last out, and they couldn’t justify Adler because for defense, the stats just aren’t there compared to attack.
Please share who he has shut down. Maybe it's from prior years and that's legit, but Cornell has no top 5 wins, so hasn't faced the opposition's best offensive players yet this year. However, He is fortunate as he will have his chance in the next 2 weeks.
DMac

Post by DMac »

First guy drafted in the PLL.
wahoomurf

Post by wahoomurf »

Finster wrote: Thu May 11, 2023 6:51 pm
rasheed wrote: Thu May 11, 2023 6:30 pm Bummer about Xander. He should be there instead of Shelley.
Dickson should be ahead of Kavanaugh and Dordevic, too
I agree.Dickson finds seams and times his cuts as well if not better than Bocklet.He stepped up big time this season.
wahoomurf

Post by wahoomurf »

DMac wrote: Thu May 11, 2023 9:04 pm First guy drafted in the PLL.
There's no question that Adler is a stud. Curious to see how many other Tewaaraton winners were the first pick in the PLL draft? The PLL coaches are looking for the best player that can fill their needs.

Interesting that 2 of Cornell's greatest players Adler and Max Seibald came from the same L.I. high school.One that isn't considered a powerhouse program.Max won the Tewaaraton in in 2009.IMHO,Adler should be on the T list.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

blue angels wrote: Thu May 11, 2023 8:55 pm

he’s a lacrosse savant,

I’d assume he was last out, and they couldn’t justify Adler because for defense, the stats just aren’t there compared to attack.
Please share who he has shut down. Maybe it's from prior years and that's legit, but Cornell has no top 5 wins, so hasn't faced the opposition's best offensive players yet this year. However, He is fortunate as he will have his chance in the next 2 weeks.
Check the Cornell thread - a lot of detail there.

If you have ESPN+ then watch a replay, any replay.
The Orfling

Post by The Orfling »

10stone5 wrote: Thu May 11, 2023 9:44 pm

he’s a lacrosse savant,

Check the Cornell thread - a lot of detail there.

If you have ESPN+ then watch a replay, any replay.
One recent example: When Adler was guarding Princeton's Coulter Mackesy (who is on the Tewaaraton top 25 list, averages over 5 points per game), Mackesy had 0 goals, 0 assists, 1 shot.

I agree with the poster who suggested that the relative strength of defenders this year (Brower, Makar, Bowen all on the list in addition to Adler) maybe worked against Adler in the absence of a good metric to capture "premiere shut-down guy."
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

Or the first Yale game, where Matt Brandau literally had 1 shot through 3 quarters.

Handley was matched up against him for long stretches of the Cornell-Penn game and none of Handley's goals came when Adler was on him. They all came when he got a switch on to someone else. The only game of the where Handley had fewer shots than the Cornell game was the Nova game.

also, Adler is a senior. we've seen him play for multiple years. it's not like he just showed up yesterday. if you haven't seen him play before that's on you
blue angels

Post by blue angels »

No one is suggesting he isn’t an excellent player. McConvey at Virginia was 1st pick in the MLL draft and he might be the 4th best option on offense at Virginia. He has also often been shorted this season.
Chousnake

Post by Chousnake »

blue angels wrote: Thu May 11, 2023 10:52 pm
No one is suggesting he isn’t an excellent player. McConvey at Virginia was 1st pick in the MLL draft and he might be the 4th best option on offense at Virginia. He has also often been shorted this season.
But you are. And it is pretty apparent that you haven't watched him play much this season. He shut down Lehigh's Scott Cole, Princeton's Coulter Mackesey (neither of whom registered a single point) and Matt Brandau, three of the top 20 scorers in lax this season. He handled other players as well, but you had to watch the games to see it. You are the lone voice with this opinion. Every single other person in the lax world - and on this board - is singing his praises. Adler has put together back to back seasons that are as good as any defenseman I have ever seen, and I am not alone with that view. He forces teams to scheme around him and teams are taking their best offensive player and taking him out of the offense to neutralize Adler - kind of a reverse intentional lock off.
Lager

Post by Lager »

he’s a lacrosse savant,

How about holding Mackesy to zero points a mere 2 weeks ago?? He also shut down Brandau, although having Adler cover Brandau and not Lyons was a big mistake. Considering freshman #38 Dooley eventually came in and shut down Lyons, I think Adler would have done it with ease. Cornell coaching staff made a mistake there and I think just generally miscalculated on how to best defend Yale's weapons in the first half. Even Johnson probably would have been a more appropriate assignment for Adler. Although Brandau has been "the man" for Yale since his freshman year, Lyons is currently Yales best offensive player, and Johnson is the quickest.
random observer

Post by random observer »

blue angels wrote: Thu May 11, 2023 10:52 pm
McConvey was the 1st pick in the NLL draft. Completely different from the field game. It's hardly a surprise that an all-American Canadian midfielder would be the top pick in that draft.

Your comments are so off base it defies belief. You clearly don't watch any games outside of the ACC, but how about just check a simple box score? You question who he has shut down, well Mackesy and Cole are 4th and 6th respectively nationally in PPG. And he held both of them to zero points. Do you know hard it is to completely shut out a team's first option with today's offenses? It's almost unheard of. A lot of guys who are the top option on their team will go their entire career without having a game with zero points.

This is to say nothing about the fact that he is an absolute wizard at picking up ground balls. One of the best I've seen with a pole in many years at getting the ball off the ground.
NNELax

Post by NNELax »

he’s a lacrosse savant,

Adler is a great defender...Savant...come on :roll: ...has no one seen a talented defender in the last 5 years? :lol:
joewillie78

Post by joewillie78 »

he’s a lacrosse savant,

Look, it's fine, you don't like Adler and don't think he is the player that nearly every lax aficionado knows he is, including obviously the PLL where he was the #1 pick.
To list all the players he has dominated including many Tewaaraton nominees would take too long to put up, but how about going back to last year's NCAA run by Cornell where he shut down, the leading offensive threats on teams like Ohio State, Rutgers, and even the title game which they lost where he shutdown last years Tewy winner.
I have watched him live, so many times and everytime I have, Im even more amazed at his talent. Cornell will have someone else in his spot next year but that guy is simply irreplaceable.
Gobigred
Joewillie78
CU88a

Post by CU88a »

he’s a lacrosse savant,

:lol: :lol: :lol:
DMac

Post by DMac »

Bottom line is it's bullschidt that all five candidates are attackmen.
How many of those five candidates do more on the field than Adler
does? He affects games every bit as much as they do but he doesn't
have a bunch of goals, so no Tewey consideration for him. Both sides,
men's and women's, all attack. The committee needs to take a look
at that. Look up Tucker Dordevic's number of GBs, number of TOs,
shoots damn near every time he touches the ball, rarely throws an
assist but the committee sees him as a better player than Adler.
It's garbage.
rolldodge

Post by rolldodge »

DMac wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 7:37 am Bottom line is it's bullschidt that all five candidates are attackmen.
It's garbage.
Ah there he is. It was only a matter of time…
DMac

Post by DMac »

Probably the reasons he was HM AA last year. Top five Tewey candidate this year...my asz.
Justify his being a better player than Adler for me. I'll get you started, he scored more goals.
You take it from there.
GO BULLDOGS!!!!!!!!!!!
Creasedive

Post by Creasedive »

DMac wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 7:37 am Bottom line is it's bullschidt that all five candidates are attackmen.
It's garbage.
The love affair with Adler is a bit much. Great player - but the award goes to men who scores goals. He doesn’t. Move on.
joewillie78

Post by joewillie78 »

DMac wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 7:45 am Probably the reasons he was HM AA last year. Top five Tewey candidate this year...my asz.
Justify his being a better player than Adler for me. I'll get you started, he scored more goals.
You take it from there.
GO BULLDOGS!!!!!!!!!!!
In all fairness Dmac, I can't justify ANY of the 5 finalists being a better Lax player than Mr. Adler, and that includes a great one from my favorite team.
Gobigred
Joewillie78
Finster

Post by Finster »

It's garbage.

I agree with Dmac here. The committee does the game a disservice putting 5 attack in the finalists. I have to be honest about Adler; I haven’t really seen him play this year, so I’ll take it on the words of most folks here he’s worthy. And that being the case, the committee should’ve put at least one defenseman, one goalie, and preferably one middie in addition to O’Neill and Kirst.

I don’t think Dordevic deserved to be on this list. Sorry about that. I also am not sold on Kavanaugh. And I think Shellenberger’s injuries should likewise have eliminated him. About the only saving Grace for the Tewey Connittee will be if UVA, Gtown, or ND wins the ‘ship, and one of those three Carrie’s their team on their back.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”