Syracuse 2019

D1 Mens Lacrosse
ohmilax34

Re: Syracuse 2019

Post by ohmilax34 »

DMac wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 1:47 pm Early PT development is a reasonable guess I suppose, tech. He put up zeros across the board in this last game. Has 4G and 4A for the season and he's seen a lot of PT. 23 shots of which 13 were on cage. 10 GBs, 8 TOs.
Buttermore, who didn't see the field at all for one game (Cook's played in every one...and I'm pretty sure he's been in on the man up unit too), and has seen far fewer minutes in a number of games has 19Gs and 3As. 46 shots, 29 of which have been on cage. 5 GBs, 4 TOs. He has 2 more Gs than Curry, 3 more than Rehfuss, and only 5 fewer than Solomon.
I'd like to see him on the field a whole lot more and certainly on EMO. The kid's a shooter and just one of those players who makes stuff happen, can play with contact too (think he welcomes it and plays off it...box style), pretty good sized boy who isn't easy to deal with. I really think JD has underutilized him and overused Cook. Cook is just too easy to shut off, really has been pretty much a non factor yet he's real high on JD's list of guys he wants on the filed. As I said, I just don't get it.
I didn't see the most recent UNC game, but from the more recent games it seems that Buttermore and Cook are both playing on the 2nd middie line and are playing the exact same amount. I haven't seen Cook on EMO anytime recently. So, if part of your argument is that Cook is playing significantly more than Buttermore at this point in the season, I don't see it.

The EMO unit has looked pretty good, so I'm not sure a shake up on that unit is needed. I wouldn't be surprised at all to see Buttermore on EMO next season when SU loses a lefty in Voigt.

Buttermore has been prone to turnovers lately when being double teamed. Maybe the little bit of extra whip in his stick that he uses to unleash his shot causes him to hang his stick a bit and invite some aggressive double teams. I disagree with you in that I wouldn't want him to initiate the offense given some of his TO's when dodging.

I have praised Buttermore on here this season already and really like him. I was also hyping him a little on laxpower when he was still in HS.
DMac

Post by DMac »

I said earlier that Buttermore is finally seeing more minutes, ohmi, and I'm not really arguing anything, I just question what JD sees in Cook. Buttermore has 4 TOs on the season, Cook has 8. Yes, he's been stripped a couple of times but that's just part of the game and they've come on double teams by some pretty darn good Dmen. His stick is solid, not easy to get the ball away from him. Has a variety of shots and can release with zip with very little back stroke. It's all good, we'll see how it plays out...just seems to me as if it's taken a long time for JD to recognize Buttermore as a very solid player/contributor while he's seemed anxious to get Cook on the field.
ohmilax34

Post by ohmilax34 »

DMac wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 3:15 pm I said earlier that Buttermore is finally seeing more minutes, ohmi, and I'm not really arguing anything, I just question what JD sees in Cook. Buttermore has 4 TOs on the season, Cook has 8. Yes, he's been stripped a couple of times but that's just part of the game and they've come on double teams by some pretty darn good Dmen. His stick is solid, not easy to get the ball away from him. Has a variety of shots and can release with zip with very little back stroke. It's all good, we'll see how it plays out...just seems to me as if it's taken a long time for JD to recognize Buttermore as a very solid player/contributor while he's seemed anxious to get Cook on the field.
SU loses 2 starting attackmen this season to graduation. Cook is probably going to start next season. It seems pretty obvious why he's playing.
ohmilax34

Post by ohmilax34 »

I also seem to remember Buttermore getting some first line middie runs during the middle part of the season.
DMac

Post by DMac »

Oh, my bad. Hopefully this season's PT will make him a far bigger threat and productive player next season.
I'd replace one of those two attakmen lost to graduation with Buttermore before I would with Cook...just sayin'.
ohmilax34

Post by ohmilax34 »

DMac wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 3:27 pm Oh, my bad. Hopefully this season's PT will make him a far bigger threat and productive player next season.
I'd replace one of those two attakmen lost to graduation with Buttermore before I would with Cook...just sayin'.
I'm glad we have Desko, Donahue, etc., instead of you. I think we'd have fewer banners if you were coaching.
DMac

Post by DMac »

I'd have to say that's pretty idiotic comment, ohmi.
We could just agree to disagree without your being an a**hole about it.
DMac

Post by DMac »

ohmilax34 wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 3:18 pm I also seem to remember Buttermore getting some first line middie runs during the middle part of the season.
Sure he did, but that's not to say he's had nearly the PT Cook has. In hoops you can find # of minutes played, I can't find that in lax (no doubt too many players in and out and too much of a pain to keep track of) but I'd guarantee you Cook's number would be a whole lot higher in that category.
(He get those first line runs after one of his 3G games?)
tech37

Post by tech37 »

What is this, the artist formerly known as Hopkins thread?

Easy boys...
cantrelax

Post by cantrelax »

Is this the first season in a while where the Orange do not have one NL contest after the ACC tourney? That was the traditional Colgate spot I recall. I would not want to be the next team to face these guys. They have to be champing at the bit to get back at it!
tech37

Post by tech37 »

cantrelax wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2019 3:05 pm Is this the first season in a while where the Orange do not have one NL contest after the ACC tourney? That was the traditional Colgate spot I recall. I would not want to be the next team to face these guys. They have to be champing at the bit to get back at it!
"champing"...like that! ;)

Two ways of seeing this I suppose...Cuse may feel left out with all the lax being played without them since they lost to Heels, and will come out p.o.ed w/ guns blazing in first round...or they may come out flat for that same reason, too much down time. I'm guessing/hoping the former...

By losing to UNC, they no longer control their 2019 destiny, and go from a possible top 4 seed, to an 8th seed if they're lucky. Depending on how things shake out, they may even be on road 1st round facing stiffer competition than if they had gone further in ACC Tourney.

Then again, the selection committee might throw in a few jaw droppers (phantom criteria) per usual, so who knows? 8-)
wahoomurf

Post by wahoomurf »

While watching the GEICO HS Lacrosse Showcase, Aviles, a W.M. kid who's heading to Syracuse,scored one of the most amazing goals I've witnessed in my 73 years on earth.I thought Bob Shriver,who anounced the game,was going to lose his mind.And Aviles was dominant facing off .Shriver called him the next great FOSO...a player that can FACE OFF and STAY ON.

You SU folks are going to love this young man.
wahoomurf

Post by wahoomurf »

While watching the GEICO HS Lacrosse Showcase, Aviles, a W.M. kid who's heading to Syracuse,scored one of the most amazing goals I've witnessed in my 73 years on earth.I thought Bob Shriver,who anounced the game,was going to lose his mind.And Aviles is a dominant face off guy. Shriver called him the next great FOSO...a player that can FACE OFF and STAY ON.

DMac

Post by DMac »

That's not right, murf, it's like saying I saw the nicest breasts on the face of the earth at the beach and not providing a picture. ;)
No video?
seacoaster

Post by seacoaster »

wahoomurf wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 1:06 pm While watching the GEICO HS Lacrosse Showcase, Aviles, a W.M. kid who's heading to Syracuse,scored one of the most amazing goals I've witnessed in my 73 years on earth.I thought Bob Shriver,who anounced the game,was going to lose his mind.And Aviles was dominant facing off .Shriver called him the next great FOSO...a player that can FACE OFF and STAY ON.

Here somewhere??

http://www.espn.com/watch/player?catego ... a802e89dc3
wahoomurf

Post by wahoomurf »

seacoaster wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 2:16 pm
wahoomurf wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 1:06 pm While watching the GEICO HS Lacrosse Showcase, Aviles, a W.M. kid who's heading to Syracuse,scored one of the most amazing goals I've witnessed in my 73 years on earth.I thought Bob Shriver,who anounced the game,was going to lose his mind.And Aviles was dominant facing off .Shriver called him the next great FOSO...a player that can FACE OFF and STAY ON.

Here somewhere??

Thanks for posting this,Seacoaster.Hope the snow melted.

Aviles's no-look,backhand worm-burner (around the 13:15 mark);Bob's FOSO explanation (around the 24 minute mark);THE SHOT (around the 1hr 50 second mark).
ENJOY!
Last edited by wahoomurf on Mon Apr 29, 2019 8:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wahoomurf

Post by wahoomurf »

wahoomurf wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 2:42 pm
seacoaster wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 2:16 pm

Here somewhere??

Thanks for posting this,Seacoaster.Hope the snow melted.

Aviles's no-look,backhand worm-burner (around the 13:15 mark);Bob's FOSO explanation (around the 24 minute mark);THE SHOT :shock: (around the 1hr 50 second mark).

ENJOY!
DMac

Post by DMac »

Thanks fellas, sweet shot.
The 1hr 50 sec mark? It only goes to 1hr 39 min.
As I continued on I did run into this though.
Click on at 1:20.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eyo4WyEnSXE&t=383s
oldbartman

Post by oldbartman »

DMac wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 4:29 pm Thanks fellas, sweet shot.
The 1hr 50 sec mark? It only goes to 1hr 39 min.
As I continued on I did run into this though.
Click on at 1:20.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eyo4WyEnSXE&t=383s
one hour and 50 SECOND mark...
DMac

Post by DMac »

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”