Bryant at Hopkins

D1 Mens Lacrosse
Farfromgeneva

Re: Bryant at Hopkins

Post by Farfromgeneva »

DocBarrister wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 12:13 pm
DALaxDad wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 11:35 am
DocBarrister wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 7:42 pm
molo wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 6:24 pm I haven’t seen a full Bryant game this year. Vastly improved since last year, the Jays should advance at Homewood. But then there was that game in the Dome a few years ago. Bulldogs also took UVA to the wire at Klockner in 2021. Can the Bulldogs pull the upset at my favorite venue?
Blue Jays go out to a 5-0 lead with aggressive D, unselfish motion O, stout goalie play, and domination on FOs and gbs.

Bryant then goes on an 8-1 run and an 8-6 lead as Hopkins enjoys a nice full English breakfast/brunch on the Cordish Lacrosse Center balcony. The blood sausage and beans are particularly tasty.

Blue Jays then win the fourth quarter 5-2 and complete a close, thrilling 11-10 win.

On to Utah, who upset ND 18-2.

DocBarrister 8-)
Doc, did you take your meds this morning?
What do you have against English breakfasts?!?

DocBarrister
Pudding.
Harvard University, out
University of Utah, in

I am going to get a 4.0 in damage.

(Afan jealous he didn’t do this first)
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

oldtimer wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 12:31 pm 1766- Bryant started the season 4-1 with a 1 goal loss to BU. Would love to understand your rationale on the horrible start. Just curious- have you actually watched any of their games this year?
It’s insider info only fans of Big Ten schools have access too because of all their money, sorry.
Harvard University, out
University of Utah, in

Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Mr3Putt wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 6:20 pm Two yrs ago Bryant went to Klockner (grass) in the tourn. and lost 13-11. I don’t see anything different. Especially, Bryant being accustomed to playing on sport turf. When ND lost at Va a few weeks ago in so-so weather you could see they looked uncomfortable. I see this being a 1 goal game either way. Something that is not mentioned enough is surface change in some of these matchups in the tourn. . Bryant has athletes which will be a factor in this game.
The difference is Ross had a nice year but pretty unclear he’s anywhere near the coach Pressler is. But he’s done well so far especially after having so many transfer out like McGovern and Abladian.
Harvard University, out
University of Utah, in

Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

NNELax wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 6:44 pm Bryant NCAA Tournament Results:

2013 Lost to Cuse 12-7 (Cuse lost to Duke in the finals)
2014 Beat Cuse 10-9 / Lost to MD 16-8 (MD lost final four)
2015 Lost To Marist (Play in Game) 10-6 (Marist got waxed by Cuse next round)
2017 Beat Monmouth (Play in Game) 10-7 / Lost to MD 13-10 (MD national Champs 9-6 over OSU)
2021 Lost to Virginia 13-11 (UVA National Champs)

So the good news is if you survive Bryant...you have a good shot at going to and potentially winning the national championship :lol:

I would not take them lightly blue bloods!
Massa’s and Waldt factored into a number of those. Even if the younger lived off the older a little, especially at home w whistles.
Harvard University, out
University of Utah, in

xxxxxxx

Post by xxxxxxx »

Hopkins got the biggest gift of the tournament in Bryant. If seeded teams got to pick the unseeded team they would prefer to play in the first round they would all pick Bryant or Marist but they are in the play-in. For a 6 seed, this was the best they could have hoped for.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

xxxxxxx wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 2:38 pm Hopkins got the biggest gift of the tournament in Bryant. If seeded teams got to pick the unseeded team they would prefer to play in the first round they would all pick Bryant or Marist but they are in the play-in. For a 6 seed, this was the best they could have hoped for.
Cry more
xxxxxxx

Post by xxxxxxx »

HopFan16 wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 2:44 pm
xxxxxxx wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 2:38 pm Hopkins got the biggest gift of the tournament in Bryant. If seeded teams got to pick the unseeded team they would prefer to play in the first round they would all pick Bryant or Marist but they are in the play-in. For a 6 seed, this was the best they could have hoped for.
Cry more
I'm not crying just pointing out the obvious. Honest question who would you pick from the unseeded teams if you had a choice? Maybe rank your top four.

If Marist is out tonight I would pick Bryant, Utah, Richmond, and Army, and I sure wouldn’t want Michigan Yale, Princeton, or Delaware.

It's a gift admit it.
GaitsRightHand

Post by GaitsRightHand »

xxxxxxx wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 2:58 pm I'm not crying just pointing out the obvious. Honest question who would you pick from the unseeded teams if you had a choice? Maybe rank your top four.

If Marist is out tonight I would pick Bryant, Utah, Richmond, and Army, and I sure wouldn’t want Michigan Yale, Princeton, or Delaware.

It's a gift admit it.
1. Bryant
2. Richmond
3. Utah
4. Yale

I'd agree with you, it's a gift. Except, I think you're giving Yale too much credit and Army not enough. Yale is solid offensively, but defensively... well, not much D is played. Fun fact- Stuzin (the LSM) was their leading goal scorer against Princeton in Ivy championship.

Army played a one goal game with Cornell when they were #6/7. Tough as nails. I have them covering the spread against UMD. Don't sleep on the Knights.
NNELax

Post by NNELax »

Army certainly has a ton of recent NCAA tournament experience :roll:
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

xxxxxxx wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 2:58 pm
Cry more
I'm not crying just pointing out the obvious. Honest question who would you pick from the unseeded teams if you had a choice? Maybe rank your top four.

It's a gift admit it.
Sigh.

Well they've already beaten Michigan, Utah, and Delaware. The committee tries to avoid rematches of any kind but especially conference ones. The committee also deemed Bryant to be better than Delaware otherwise Bryant would have been in the play-in game. Contrary to popular belief, that's not decided entirely by RPI.

I would think that for teams whose goals are to make Final Fours and win titles — and not just get out of the first round — then if they got to pick they'd want the easiest overall path to do so and not simply the seemingly better first-round matchup. If Hopkins gets by Bryant, having to immediately play Notre Dame (and then probably Virginia) doesn't seem like much of a gift?

Back to your list, I think Hopkins matches up well with Army so that would have been fine with me. Army's lone top 20 win this year was a one-goal victory almost three months ago over a poopy Rutgers team. The Black Knights haven't won an NCAA tournament game since 2010, which was their only win in the last 30 years. They're not going to give Maryland much trouble and from there the Terps will get to play a team they've already beaten in the quarterfinals. They made out just fine all things considered. Should we rank easiest paths to championship weekend? My guess is Hopkins would come in around 6th...exactly what their seed is.

As I said in the other thread, the one team out of all of these I'm glad we're not playing is a hot Princeton team, but, again, there's a tradeoff. Would be very curious to know if Tambroni prefers a Princeton-Maryland path or a Bryant-ND-UVA path. The bottom line is Hopkins earned a home game and a seed and from there they go by geography to fill out the rest. Just seems like a lot of complaining over very little.
xxxxxxx

Post by xxxxxxx »

HopFan16 wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 3:34 pm
Cry more

It's a gift admit it.
Sigh.

Well they've already beaten Michigan, Utah, and Delaware. The committee tries to avoid rematches of any kind but especially conference ones. The committee also deemed Bryant to be better than Delaware otherwise Bryant would have been in the play-in game. Contrary to popular belief, that's not decided entirely by RPI.

I would think that for teams whose goals are to make Final Fours and win titles — and not just get out of the first round — then if they got to pick they'd want the easiest overall path to do so and not simply the seemingly better first-round matchup. If Hopkins gets by Bryant, having to immediately play Notre Dame (and then probably Virginia) doesn't seem like much of a gift?

Back to your list, I think Hopkins matches up well with Army so that would have been fine with me. Army's lone top 20 win this year was a one-goal victory almost three months ago over a poopy Rutgers team. The Black Knights haven't won an NCAA tournament game since 2010, which was their only win in the last 30 years. They're not going to give Maryland much trouble and from there the Terps will get to play a team they've already beaten in the quarterfinals. They made out just fine all things considered. Should we rank easiest paths to championship weekend? My guess is Hopkins would come in around 6th...exactly what their seed is.

As I said in the other thread, the one team out of all of these I'm glad we're not playing is a hot Princeton team, but, again, there's a tradeoff. Would be very curious to know if Tambroni prefers a Princeton-Maryland path or a Bryant-ND-UVA path. The bottom line is Hopkins earned a home game and a seed and from there they go by geography to fill out the rest. Just seems like a lot of complaining over very little.
Hopkins earned every bit of this home game and a 6 seed and arguably could have been seeded higher. Congrats to them and count me on the list of people that thought they were going to struggle again this year. It has been a great year. However they got the easiest first round game on the board, it’s ok to admit it sometimes you get breaks in life. You may be the only person who claims they would be just as happy seeing Army. I would also guarantee the staff is happy not to see Michigan, Utah, or Delaware. The truth will set you free, and I hope they make a deep run.
xxxxxxx

Post by xxxxxxx »

xxxxxxx wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 4:14 pm
HopFan16 wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 3:34 pm
Cry more

It's a gift admit it.
Sigh.

Hopkins earned every bit of this home game and a 6 seed and arguably could have been seeded higher. Congrats to them and count me on the list of people that thought they were going to struggle again this year. It has been a great year. However they got the easiest first round game on the board, it’s ok to admit it sometimes you get breaks in life. You may be the only person who claims they would be just as happy seeing Army. I would also guarantee the staff is happy not to see Michigan, Utah, or Delaware. The truth will set you free. I hope they make a deep run.
44WeWantMore

Post by 44WeWantMore »

Yes, one reason the Jays got Bryant was to avoid re-matches, but I read the travel distance for Bryant was just under 400 miles to JHU, but just over 400 miles to many other opponents, particularly PSU and Maryland. And, as discussed, the rest of the draw appears far less kind to the Jays than other teams with comparable seeds.
Be in their flowing cups freshly rememb'red.
CU77

Post by CU77 »

The committee DOES NOT try to avoid out-of-conference rematches, only in conference. And the 5-member ACC does not count as a conference for this, as shown by the 2011 bracket, when then ACC member UMd was sent to ACC member UNC for a first-round game: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2011_NCAA ... ampionship

Bryant got sent to Hopkins this year because the distance from Bryant to both PSU and UMd is a smidge over the 400-mile bus limit.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

CU77 wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 6:33 pm The committee DOES NOT try to avoid out-of-conference rematches, only in conference.
Maybe not always but this year they did, according to Patrick Stevens after speaking with the committee chair: https://www.usalaxmagazine.com/college/ ... planations

"All of the Ivies could bus to Georgetown, but with the committee looking to avoid rematches when possible, Princeton was steered away from Georgetown and Maryland and sent to Penn State."

But yes the driving distance had a lot do with the matchups
CU77

Post by CU77 »

That's not a quote from the chair, it's an assertion by the reporter. Past chairs, when asked, have been clear that repeats of out-of-conference match-ups are not a consideration, and many past brackets reflect this.

And so does this year's.

If you start with the unseeded teams in RPI order, and make only switches needed to stay under 400 miles, have no more than 2 flights, and avoid an in-conference match-up, you end up with exactly the matches that we got.

Unseeded teams by RPI:

9 Yale
12 Michigan
13 Princeton
14 Utah
16 Army
19 Bryant
21 Richmond
26 Delaware

Yale was the top unseeded team. They should go to #8 Cornell, but that's same conference, so they go to #7 Georgetown.

Michigan should then go to #8 Cornell (flight), Princeton to #6 Hopkins, Utah to #5 PSU (flight), Army to #4 Maryland, Bryant to #3 Notre Dame (flight), Richmond to #2 Virginia (repeat out-of-conference match-up, but that's OK), Delaware to #1 Duke.

But we have 3 flights, so we swap Utah and Bryant. But Bryant to #5 PSU is just over 400 miles, and so is #4 Maryland, so Bryant goes to #6 Hopkins. Princeton gets bumped to #5 PSU. Army stays at #4 Maryland.

And that's the bracket.
ColumbiaBlueBlack

Post by ColumbiaBlueBlack »

DALaxDad wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 11:35 amDoc, did you take your meds this morning?
He hasn't seen a real, as in live, game in decades. Take whatever he posts as such.
---------------------------
Let's agree to respect each others views, no matter how wrong yours may be.
https://despair.com/products/compromise
a fan

Post by a fan »

HopFan16 wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 3:34 pm poopy Rutgers team.
Great T shirt.

Or High School band name.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

CU77 wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 7:26 pm That's not a quote from the chair, it's an assertion by the reporter. Past chairs, when asked, have been clear that repeats of out-of-conference match-ups are not a consideration, and many past brackets reflect this.
The committee chair said so himself on the IL podcast recently: https://audioboom.com/posts/8296856-5-8 ... conry-more

Relevant part starts around 7:45
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

ColumbiaBlueBlack wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 7:52 pm
DALaxDad wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 11:35 amDoc, did you take your meds this morning?
He hasn't seen a real, as in live, game in decades. Take whatever he posts as such.
:roll:

The 18-2 predicted Utah victory over ND was a joke.

Seriously, what is wrong with you people?

DocBarrister :?
@DocBarrister

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”