ODAC 2023

D3 Mens Lacrosse
BallHunt

Re: ODAC 2023

Post by BallHunt »

SixBySix wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 5:39 pm D3 CT stats are about as reliable as the preseason polls.
:lol:

Next day video stats are the way to go, but it's too late then to change them.
poster formerly know as "wherestheslide"
elitelax4596

Post by elitelax4596 »

Dehuntshigwa’es wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 5:16 pm All ODAC; Congratulations to all. I would like to run out a stat line on SSDM. I thought both W&L freshmen SSDM’s were best in the league
Gaines Weis HSC. 7G 8A 15 Pts 34 Gb16 TO’s 21 CT
Colin Beatty W&L 6 G 5 A 11 Pts 56 Gb 11 TO’s 4 CT
Elliot Cohen W&L 7 G 15 A 22 Pts 41 Gb 10 To’s 5 CT

Weis with 21 CT’s but way behind on Gb’s he had more turnovers himself than Beatty and Cohen. Can’t say I saw Weis more than 2 x but don’t believe despite his CT number he’s a more complete player or better shut down defender than Beatty and Cohen. Did he get beat a lot in going for the big check in games? Cohen and Beatty shut people down. Let’s see how they do in the tournament
Just stop this Dehunt. Letting your W&L ties take over your rationality. 21 CTO’s is A LOT more than 4 or 5 😂. And you’re adding a player for comparison who didn’t even make an all-ODAC team?

Thankfully, the coaches still vote on these polls. Not homer FanLax lunatics. Congrats to all who made it. Best of luck to ODAC this week, make us proud.
JPAtlantic

Post by JPAtlantic »

For the 2nd year in a row, the ODAC Tourney winner did not have a share of the regular season title.

Since the ODAC started the Tournament in 2002, 8 times the Tournament winner did not have the regular season title (or a share of it).

Lynchburg is the best at Tourney time. They have won 9 Tournaments and only won the regular season (or a share of it) 7 times.
Everyone else is mostly disappointed at tournament time:
W&L: 6 Tourney Titles with 8 Regular Season Titles (or a share of it)
Roanoke: 5 Tourney Titles with 10 Regular Season Titles (or a share of it)
H-S: 1 Tourney Title with 5 Regular Season Titles (or a share of it)
Nothinbutthelax

Post by Nothinbutthelax »

Congratulations to all ODAC selected.
“The harder you work the luckier you get”.

I thought Cohen is 1st teamer. Really strong against LYN in Championship but votes were in.
Wonder if coaches discuss votes on aspects like leadership or just based on how they game for a player, their performance and maybe other intangibles like sportsmanship they observe?
Nestor certainly deserving and coaches having seeing him all his career factors in..
—-Shout out to Joey Allen whose clean pick off of clear pass in 3rd Q was a dagger. Timely play of the year!

Tournament:
W&L should cruise in 1st Rounds and face a tough Swat or Grove City. Don’t know much about them but we’re tough outs all season.. I suspect W&L advances to play Salisbury. Burns looked very strong against LYN and the whole team is contributing/peeking.
LYN should beat St. John Fisher but can’t seem to get by that northern style lacrosse. Tufts (last year and this) St. Lawrence, WNE playoff loss last year.. The Mustang classic experience with back to back games will be something to draw upon if LYN if they advance to meet a tough Denison..
Good luck to both teams - rep. ODAC well!
valaxfan

Post by valaxfan »

elitelax4596 wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 10:09 am
Dehuntshigwa’es wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 5:16 pm All ODAC; Congratulations to all. I would like to run out a stat line on SSDM. I thought both W&L freshmen SSDM’s were best in the league

Weis with 21 CT’s but way behind on Gb’s he had more turnovers himself than Beatty and Cohen. Can’t say I saw Weis more than 2 x but don’t believe despite his CT number he’s a more complete player or better shut down defender than Beatty and Cohen. Did he get beat a lot in going for the big check in games? Cohen and Beatty shut people down. Let’s see how they do in the tournament
Just stop this Dehunt. Letting your W&L ties take over your rationality. 21 CTO’s is A LOT more than 4 or 5 😂. And you’re adding a player for comparison who didn’t even make an all-ODAC team?

Thankfully, the coaches still vote on these polls. Not homer FanLax lunatics. Congrats to all who made it. Best of luck to ODAC this week, make us proud.
Dehunt is the MM (metrics man) and its much appreciated, and what he did not indicate is all 3 SSDMs have different styles of play. Cohen, who I think is W&L's best, is more offensive, fastbreaking player, Weis is not, and the coaches maybe don't value one style of play over the other. But, you are correct, the coaches see them and vote so lets go with that. But, Cohen had a great championship game after the votes were in.

valaxfan
Last edited by valaxfan on Wed May 10, 2023 2:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.
valaxfan

Post by valaxfan »

Nothinbutthelax wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 11:24 am Congratulations to all ODAC selected.

I thought Cohen is 1st teamer. Really strong against LYN in Championship but votes were in.
Wonder if coaches discuss votes on aspects like leadership or just based on how they game for a player, their performance and maybe other intangibles like sportsmanship they observe?
Nestor certainly deserving and coaches having seeing him all his career factors in..
—-Shout out to Joey Allen whose clean pick off of clear pass in 3rd Q was a dagger. Timely play of the year!

Tournament:
W&L should cruise in 1st Rounds and face a tough Swat or Grove City. Don’t know much about them but we’re tough outs all season.. I suspect W&L advances to play Salisbury. Burns looked very strong against LYN and the whole team is contributing/peeking.
LYN should beat St. John Fisher but can’t seem to get by that northern style lacrosse. Tufts (last year and this) St. Lawrence, WNE playoff loss last year.. The Mustang classic experience with back to back games will be something to draw upon if LYN if they advance to meet a tough Denison..
NBTL, a Generals fan, and buddy of mine, was at the championship game Sat and said he asked some of the LYN camera guys if they were you or knew you ;) , but no one stepped up. Good luck to the Hornets agains SJF.

valaxfan
valaxfan

Post by valaxfan »

valaxfan wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 1:02 pm
elitelax4596 wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 10:09 am

Dehunt is the MM (metrics man) and its much appreciated, and what he did not indicate is all 3 SSDMs have different styles of play. Cohen, who I think is W&L's best, is more offensive, fastbreaking player, Weis is not, and the coaches maybe don't value one style of play over the other. But, you are correct, the coaches see them and vote so lets go with that. But, Cohen had a great championship game after the votes were in.

valaxfan
(This is for Dehunt) In the Generals 16-4 over H-SC, comparing their stats, weighted equally, Weis = 0 points, +1 GB - TO + 1 CT so +1 GB -1TO +1 CT = +1, Cohen had +3 Pts, +2 GBs, -2 TO, 0 CTs so +3 +2 -2= +3. So, head to head, Cohen stats were more positive for his team than Weis in that game. For the season, Weis +15 pts,+34 GBs -16 TOs, and +21 CTs = +54. Cohen +22 pts, +56 GBs -10 TOs, and +5 CTs = +73, so Cohen had more positive stats that Weis with everything weighted evenly, seemling more active, for the year.

valaxfan
InsiderRoll

Post by InsiderRoll »

Probably worth noting that W&L plays 4 SSDMs evenly and 5th regularly. HSC plays 2 and occasionally a 3rd. You’ll get more stats when you play more.
Dehuntshigwa’es

Post by Dehuntshigwa’es »

Interesting comments across the board on ssdm’s be it a stat line, an observation as to the allotted time on the field ( W&L runs as many as 5, hope they shorten the bench tournament time ) style of play. For me it’s all that snd quite honestly just the eye test. If we only go by the stats it gets really tricky as to who really caused the turnover. Many times I think you’d have to go to the tape. Of all the stats that is certainly the most difficult to assess. In the end congrats to all those Ssdm’s who do the dirty work
Nothinbutthelax

valaxfan wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 1:05 pm
Nothinbutthelax wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 11:24 am Congratulations to all ODAC selected.

Tournament:
NBTL, a Generals fan, and buddy of mine, was at the championship game Sat and said he asked some of the LYN camera guys if they were you or knew you ;) , but no one stepped up. Good luck to the Hornets agains SJF.

valaxfan
LOL- not affiliated with the program, just an observer. An old, not so good player, transplanted in the Hill City early 2000’s. Old enough to remember the Armadillo😮💨
Have seen some great games and players over the years.
valaxfan

Post by valaxfan »

Nothinbutthelax wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 7:37 pm
valaxfan wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 1:05 pm

Tournament:

valaxfan
LOL- not affiliated with the program, just an observer. An old, not so good player, transplanted in the Hill City early 2000’s. Old enough to remember the Armadillo😮💨
Have seen some great games and players over the years.
The City of Seven Hills, as a child, I used to go with my grandmother, mom, and aunt to the shoe factories in Lynchburg, years ago, before the Armadillo, LoL.

valaxfan
Nothinbutthelax

Dehuntshigwa’es wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 7:20 pm Interesting comments across the board on ssdm’s be it a stat line, an observation as to the allotted time on the field ( W&L runs as many as 5, hope they shorten the bench tournament time ) style of play. For me it’s all that snd quite honestly just the eye test. If we only go by the stats it gets really tricky as to who really caused the turnover. Many times I think you’d have to go to the tape. Of all the stats that is certainly the most difficult to assess. In the end congrats to all those Ssdm’s who do the dirty work
Congrats. Dehunt. Special group of Generals!
What battles LYN and W&L have had over the years, 2023 one of the best years. W&L led stats in game 1 loss, LYN led all in Ship loss..
I believe 3 SSDMs is ideal. Can’t get the horses tired to soon at Belmont. Scout/look teams are deep and fierce. Have to have 50+ since every team seems to have 5-10 guys on the IR.. Chemistry between SSDM’s, guys may match up better based on speed/size. Rest the horse when less productive 2nd line mids.to match up 1st line. Gene knows, glad to see he still has his job… hahaha)
Tape does tell it all. No hockey assist on CT’s. Shows SSDM off ball positioning, reducing angles allowing the step shorter slide who may gets the CT but coaches probably see Weis and Cohen never a weakness as part of the package, clean clearing and green light to run the break which both are very good. Cohen has potential to be one of the best.(Hope he transfers to UVA...😂
Cheers🍻 hope to see W&L make a deep run.
Dehuntshigwa’es

Nothinbutthelax wrote: Thu May 11, 2023 6:59 am
Dehuntshigwa’es wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 7:20 pm Interesting comments across the board on ssdm’s be it a stat line, an observation as to the allotted time on the field ( W&L runs as many as 5, hope they shorten the bench tournament time ) style of play. For me it’s all that snd quite honestly just the eye test. If we only go by the stats it gets really tricky as to who really caused the turnover. Many times I think you’d have to go to the tape. Of all the stats that is certainly the most difficult to assess. In the end congrats to all those Ssdm’s who do the dirty work
What battles LYN and W&L have had over the years, 2023 one of the best years. W&L led stats in game 1 loss, LYN led all in Ship loss..
I believe 3 SSDMs is ideal. Can’t get the horses tired to soon at Belmont. Scout/look teams are deep and fierce. Have to have 50+ since every team seems to have 5-10 guys on the IR.. Chemistry between SSDM’s, guys may match up better based on speed/size. Rest the horse when less productive 2nd line mids.to match up 1st line. Gene knows, glad to see he still has his job… hahaha)
Tape does tell it all. No hockey assist on CT’s. Shows SSDM off ball positioning, reducing angles allowing the step shorter slide who may gets the CT but coaches probably see Weis and Cohen never a weakness as part of the package, clean clearing and green light to run the break which both are very good. Cohen has potential to be one of the best.(Hope he transfers to UVA...😂
I’m anticipating both Lynchburg and W&L to progress well in the tournament. Not sure how the Lynchburg players feel about the AA selections but if I were on the Generals squad with only Porkorny and Hubbard being recognized I’d take that into the tourney and mark each and every AA on the opposing team and say “ show me”. You’re an AA let’s see what you got. Was surprised with only 2 selections for the Generals.
SixBySix

Post by SixBySix »

Dehuntshigwa’es wrote: Thu May 11, 2023 1:01 pm I’m anticipating both Lynchburg and W&L to progress well in the tournament. Not sure how the Lynchburg players feel about the AA selections but if I were on the Generals squad with only Porkorny and Hubbard being recognized I’d take that into the tourney and mark each and every AA on the opposing team and say “ show me”. You’re an AA let’s see what you got. Was surprised with only 2 selections for the Generals.
I mean, there's a very good possibility they will only play against one in the entire tournament.
valaxfan

Post by valaxfan »

Dehuntshigwa’es wrote: Thu May 11, 2023 1:01 pm
Nothinbutthelax wrote: Thu May 11, 2023 6:59 am
I’m anticipating both Lynchburg and W&L to progress well in the tournament. Not sure how the Lynchburg players feel about the AA selections but if I were on the Generals squad with only Porkorny and Hubbard being recognized I’d take that into the tourney and mark each and every AA on the opposing team and say “ show me”. You’re an AA let’s see what you got. Was surprised with only 2 selections for the Generals.
There are so many great players out there, just because you, me, only focus on the Generals, does not mean they should get more spots, especially when we can never see all the players play. Just be thankful for what the Generals get, and play hard in the NCAAs and hopefully your play will show how good you are but more importantly, contributes to Generals victory, victories if we are lucky enough.

valaxfan
Nothinbutthelax

This list is nice. Tough sledding for AJF or LYN against 3 Denison deserving AA’s. They were solid in the Championship game. Hope Zingo and Marindin are up for them if they meet.

US lacrosse is enigmatic. Foundational sources for coaching youth, high school, structure rules, refs., grow the game angle. Their niche is not college, pros.
Inside Lacrosse better but not by much. D1 heavy. D3 .. Kaplan and Big Dog are York homers and Kinnear seems to be the only staff who at least give D3 something. More articles and podcast on teams, conferences, coaches & culture would be nice. They do have a better pulse on polling..

CNU plays.. Hope today. Fitting start to the tourney!
InsiderRoll

Post by InsiderRoll »

For all of the heat the ODAC seems to take it’s nice to see two teams in the quarterfinals after last years poor showing in the NCAA tournament.
The12lov3

Post by The12lov3 »

Wonder how Lynchburg is going to do against Tufts round 2? Any thoughts?
Nothinbutthelax

Depends on what team shows up. Have had stretches where they dominated, other quarters have been epic let downs.
Battled tested maybe, well coached absolutely. Coach K has overcome injury bugs and coached up his talented freshman class but matching up with Tufts is a bridge to far..
Other than Rust the Bugs lack size on O.
SSDM Nestor needs to be sharp but big ask for Fresh #31 and Soph #21. Solid and fast but they lack size / experience..
LSM Darminio also needs his best game but Sr #28 is a step slower and Jr. #44 is quick but lacks size..
Defense can hold their own but SJF unorganized then with off ball movement/inside feeds. Tufts kinda good in that dept. too..
LYN earned the chance to play the best. 2 flights to Boston..Hoping they avoid mammoth Tuskegee stampede and have a chance in 4th Q ..

Same can be said for W&L. This is a special group that I feel will match up well with Sal.
Seeds has been playing well and SSSM’s have size and hopefully press offense in transition.
Sal. Will get theirs but feel the Gennies should be OK on FO’s and have the weapons to score 1 or 2 more.

Good luck ODAC.
Dehuntshigwa’es

Congrats to Lynchburg and W&L on entering the Elite 8!
Any old timers here who can tell us when was the last time 2 ODAC teams made the Elite 8. Trying to imagine a scenario where one of these two teams could win this weekend. Taking a hard look at this, W&L has the easier path. I just don’t see anybody taking down Tufts, so I’m going Generals but it’s a long long putt. Salisbury is good but not vintage, this isn’t one of those great Gull teams that wasn’t going to be beat. If the Generals had a goalie that was capable of standing on his head and their fogo went 60% at the dot I’d say there was a punchers chance. Best hope is Salisbury is already practicing and thinking about Tufts come out flat and Generals jump out early. 50% save rate won’t do it, they’ll take 45 plus shots

Return to “D3 MENS LACROSSE”