Sensible Gun Safety

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.
Typical Lax Dad

Re: Sensible Gun Safety

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

SCLaxAttack wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 9:39 pm
cradleandshoot wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 2:15 pm
SCLaxAttack wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 12:58 pm Let's just give up.
That seems to be the game plan. You have any solutions don't be afraid to chime in. The only game plan that I am hearing and reading about revolves around the banning of firearms.
I posted my thoughts weeks ago. Apologies for laymen's terms. I'm not a gun owner but have shot friends' and relatives' handguns, rifles, and shotguns throughout my life.

Illegal sale of guns - handgun, rifle, or shotgun - that shoot multiple rounds without depressing trigger at every round. Illegal sale of magazines greater than a certain size. (Ten rounds?)

Thirty day licensing process before a firearm can be purchased/transferred. Only a certain number of firearms and magazines can be purchased within a certain time period.

Only a certain number of rounds can be purchased annually from a retail location unless purchased at and immediately used at a licensed range.

Felons cannot own firearms.

Mandatory ANNUAL registration of all firearms. Each firearm brought to licensing location (local police department?) at time of registration. The public deserves to know where all firearms are and every owner should be responsible for knowing the location of the firearms they've registered. Every. Year.

Every firearm should have a trigger lock. Verified at annual registration.

Voluntary federal firearm buy-back. Googling says there are approximately 20M assault-type weapons in the US. An expensive AR-15 style rifle is approx $3600, as low as $2000. Buy them back for $3000 each. That's $60B well spent. Include handguns for $500 each and everything else between $500 and $3000 and watch how many people sell their weapons to the federal government for Christmas money. Make amnesty part of the buy-back program.
After an initial handgun and a hunting rifle, I would charge a $1,000 a year excise tax on each weapon above that threshold. I would push for strong penaliies for gun related offenses, including monetary penalties. I would have a heavy tax on ammo....like cigarettes.
“I wish you would!”
Typical Lax Dad

“I wish you would!”
SCLaxAttack

Post by SCLaxAttack »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 9:50 pm
That seems to be the game plan. You have any solutions don't be afraid to chime in. The only game plan that I am hearing and reading about revolves around the banning of firearms.
I posted my thoughts weeks ago. Apologies for laymen's terms. I'm not a gun owner but have shot friends' and relatives' handguns, rifles, and shotguns throughout my life.

Illegal sale of guns - handgun, rifle, or shotgun - that shoot multiple rounds without depressing trigger at every round. Illegal sale of magazines greater than a certain size. (Ten rounds?)

Thirty day licensing process before a firearm can be purchased/transferred. Only a certain number of firearms and magazines can be purchased within a certain time period.

Only a certain number of rounds can be purchased annually from a retail location unless purchased at and immediately used at a licensed range.

Mandatory ANNUAL registration of all firearms. Each firearm brought to licensing location (local police department?) at time of registration. The public deserves to know where all firearms are and every owner should be responsible for knowing the location of the firearms they've registered. Every. Year.

Voluntary federal firearm buy-back. Googling says there are approximately 20M assault-type weapons in the US. An expensive AR-15 style rifle is approx $3600, as low as $2000. Buy them back for $3000 each. That's $60B well spent. Include handguns for $500 each and everything else between $500 and $3000 and watch how many people sell their weapons to the federal government for Christmas money. Make amnesty part of the buy-back program.
After an initial handgun and a hunting rifle, I would charge a $1,000 a year excise tax on each weapon above that threshold. I would push for strong penaliies for gun related offenses, including monetary penalties. I would have a heavy tax on ammo....like cigarettes.
I’ve steered away from exhorbitant amounts for registrations or taxes on ammo. I don’t think this is a wealthy/unwealthy issue. I think the annual registration of the firearm and limitation on ammunition suffices.
Typical Lax Dad

SCLaxAttack wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 10:20 pm

I’ve steered away from exhorbitant amounts for registrations or taxes on ammo. I don’t think this is a wealthy/unwealthy issue. I think the annual registration of the firearm and limitation on ammunition suffices.
If I were in charge I would give a renter/homeowner a free handgun and hunting rifle. Anything beyond that would be very expensive to own. If you aren't a renter or homeowner, you can buy the first handgun and hunting rifle at a discount to market as I would provide a subsidy for the first handgun and rifle. Anything beyond that would be expensive. Want to go shooting? rent a weapon.
“I wish you would!”
Bart

Post by Bart »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 10:26 pm

If I were in charge I would give a renter/homeowner a free handgun and hunting rifle. Anything beyond that would be very expensive to own. If you aren't a renter or homeowner, you can buy the first handgun and hunting rifle at a discount to market as I would provide a subsidy for the first handgun and rifle. Anything beyond that would be expensive. Want to go shooting? rent a weapon.
I'm guessing you do not hunt. You match the firearm to the game you are pursuing. I would not take a 10 ga shotgun to hunt partridge but I would if I was hunting geese. I might use a 30-30 to hunt deer but I would not use it to hunt elk. If I am hunting deer in thick cover I might opt for a 20 ga shotgun but I would not use that gun if hunting the edge of a large crop field where I need accuracy oat 100-200 yards. You match the gun to the game using the appropriate weapon to take the game with as little loss of usable meat as possible. So if you hunt several species there is not a 1 gun that does it all.
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

The limitation on ammo is a positive step. The problem is that the serious shooters police their brass and reload their own bullets in their workshops. My brother has reloaded his own brass for many years. High capacity magazines are a joke when people opine about banning them. 3 D printers make it possible to make as many as you like. The 800 pound gorilla in the room is the 100s of millions of these weapons already in circulation. This is a classic example of shutting and securing the barn doors after the cows have wandered off. Any of you out there remember how prohibition worked out? The intent was to get Americans to not drink alcohol. Making booze illegal worked out well for Al Capone. It made him a very rich man. If only he paid his taxes on all that bootleg liquor.
I know this for a fact, Americans love their booze and they love their guns. Working on reasonable conditions to purchase a high powered rifle is a good thing. When that devolves into a universal ban in the US on some or all of these weapons that is the recipe for disaster. It will also encourage aspiring entrepreneurs to make a lot of money via the black market. It will be feel good legislation that is almost impossible to enforce. There are a number of counties in upstate NY where local sheriff's simply refuse to enforce the SAFE ACT.
We don't make mistakes, we have happy accidents.
Bob Ross:
DMac

Post by DMac »

Bart is dead nuts on the money, hunters have lots of guns for a reason. Allowing one gun for hunting is like allowing one lure and pole for fishing. Good luck landing that bass with your fly rod.
Big taxes and annual fees? Then the po' folk got no guns, won't be able to be part of the militia to protect us from the government. People will be screaming that only the privileged can have/afford guns. Aint gonna fly.
Buy back? Yup, would get a number of guns out of circulation, very slim odds it'll get any guns out of the hands you'd like to see them out of though.
cradle is right, all the horses are out of the barn....all 400,000,000 of them.
Yes, we need to do something, yes, something is better than nothing (don't know by how much though).
What to do, what to do?
As long as we are such staunch believers in everyone's right to bear arms, aint much ever gonna change and I don't care how many laws you write (how the thousands workin' out so far?). It's the 2nd amendment, folks, that needs a whole lot more looking at than the guns and laws. Oh, and good luck wif dat.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

cradle, making these weapons illegal nationally, coupled with a national buyback program, will separate the law abiding citizens who simply want to go hunting with a rifle or have a handgun for personal protection from the nutcases who want to use military-style assault weapons for... assault.

Automatically, these weapons won't be legal in "open-carry" areas, rather they will immediately be seen as a violation of law.

It will change the culture of what is acceptable, much less attractive.

I've suggested that a smart compromise would be allowance of these weapons at well regulated gun ranges, with secure storage there only. But any possession away from those ranges would be illegal.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Bart wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 7:16 am

I'm guessing you do not hunt. You match the firearm to the game you are pursuing. I would not take a 10 ga shotgun to hunt partridge but I would if I was hunting geese. I might use a 30-30 to hunt deer but I would not use it to hunt elk. If I am hunting deer in thick cover I might opt for a 20 ga shotgun but I would not use that gun if hunting the edge of a large crop field where I need accuracy oat 100-200 yards. You match the gun to the game using the appropriate weapon to take the game with as little loss of usable meat as possible. So if you hunt several species there is not a 1 gun that does it all.
Correct re hunting. I have 4 shotguns of my own.
Plus 3 from inheritance. Only really use 3 with regularity (and not much these days).

DMac, see my response to cradle above.

Making certain weapons illegal to possess away from well-regulated gun ranges can/would change the gun culture. It's entirely consistent with the 2nd amendment, and past precedent on gun regulation.

No more brandishing the guns in public. Public condemnation.

It won't eliminate them, but nutcases won't be able to walk into a gun show and walk out with an assault weapon they use a week later.
Typical Lax Dad

Bart wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 7:16 am

You can buy the others. I would off one free hunting rifle of choice. Less of a premium for other “hunting” weapons and man killers would come at a meaningful premium. This will drive down demand and ultimately supply.
“I wish you would!”
Typical Lax Dad

DMac wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 9:11 am Bart is dead nuts on the money, hunters have lots of guns for a reason. Allowing one gun for hunting is like allowing one lure and pole for fishing. Good luck landing that bass with your fly rod.
Big taxes and annual fees? Then the po' folk got no guns, won't be able to be part of the militia to protect us from the government. People will be screaming that only the privileged can have/afford guns. Aint gonna fly.
Buy back? Yup, would get a number of guns out of circulation, very slim odds it'll get any guns out of the hands you'd like to see them out of though.
Yes, we need to do something, yes, something is better than nothing (don't know by how much though).
What to do, what to do?
As long as we are such staunch believers in everyone's right to bear arms, aint much ever gonna change and I don't care how many laws you write (how the thousands workin' out so far?). It's the 2nd amendment, folks, that needs a whole lot more looking at than the guns and laws. Oh, and good luck wif dat.
I am giving guns away.
“I wish you would!”
DMac

Post by DMac »

Atta boy. Make sure it's only to those who don't already have a (12) gun though.
They gotta be part of the militia too, we need everyone armed.
Typical Lax Dad

DMac wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 10:00 am Atta boy. Make sure it's only to those who don't already have a (12) gun though.
I would require what’s under current ownership to be declared and taxed. Not taking it away. Just won’t let it be passed along to a new owner. Let some one “use it” and they commit a crime using it, the original owner is being prosecuted as an accessory and we raise the penalty. Going to take a while to burn off supply and effect culture but the country ain’t going away anytime soon….play the long game. May take 50 years but so what…
“I wish you would!”
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 9:16 am cradle, making these weapons illegal nationally, coupled with a national buyback program, will separate the law abiding citizens who simply want to go hunting with a rifle or have a handgun for personal protection from the nutcases who want to use military-style assault weapons for... assault.

Automatically, these weapons won't be legal in "open-carry" areas, rather they will immediately be seen as a violation of law.

I've suggested that a smart compromise would be allowance of these weapons at well regulated gun ranges, with secure storage there only. But any possession away from those ranges would be illegal.
One problem with what you propose. The serious hard core gun fanatics will never go for it. The biggest drawback is making criminals out of millions of gun owners with the stroke of a pen. These folks are not bullchitting you when they say you'll have to pry their guns out of their cold dead fingers. If that is the road you think the government should travel down then good luck with that. I can only see the chitstorm that will arise when any government official proposes a nation wide ban. In the real world MD that is never going to happen. The gun culture and the love of firearms is too deeply ingrained in our culture. IMO the best option for starters is making it very tedious to go through the process of purchasing a high powered semi automatic weapon. That being said there are 50 different states that view this issue totally differently. You will not find any common ground in what Texas thinks is prudent as opposed to what New York thinks.
Bob Ross:
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

I must be missing the joke?

I don't see any reason for giving away guns, whether shotguns or other.

I think purchasing any gun should be a bit of a challenge, requiring real background checks, safety training, and gun storage in place. No gun show or private sale exceptions. Register all.

I think the assault style weapons should be banned other than in well regulated gun ranges, and ammo for such should be costly regardless. Can rent there as well.

Is that unfair to poor folks?
Maybe, but owning guns is a personal choice of economic priorities.
I don't see any reason to encourage that choice by making it free.

The "militia" argument is specious, we're not gonna be fighting with those 'free' shotguns, and we have a National Guard to serve that role in the Constitution.

Worried about having weapons that would actually be useful if say, the "commies" invaded ala Red Dawn?
Gun ranges.
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 10:04 am
DMac wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 10:00 am Atta boy. Make sure it's only to those who don't already have a (12) gun though.
I would require what’s under current ownership to be declared and taxed. Not taking it away. Just won’t let it be passed along to a new owner. Let some one “use it” and they commit a crime using it, the original owner is being prosecuted as an accessory and we raise the penalty. Going to take a while to burn off supply and effect culture but the country ain’t going away anytime soon….play the long game. May take 50 years but so what…
IMO proposing a tax for owning a weapon will go over like a fart in church. The first question to be asked is why am I being taxed for choosing to use my second amendment right. I believe you were already taxed once when you purchased the weapon. I do see the logic. You have to pay every year if you want a fishing license. I don't think anyone is thinking of taxing your fishing pole as well?
Bob Ross:
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

cradleandshoot wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 10:11 am
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 9:16 am cradle, making these weapons illegal nationally, coupled with a national buyback program, will separate the law abiding citizens who simply want to go hunting with a rifle or have a handgun for personal protection from the nutcases who want to use military-style assault weapons for... assault.

One problem with what you propose. The serious hard core gun fanatics will never go for it. The biggest drawback is making criminals out of millions of gun owners with the stroke of a pen. These folks are not bullchitting you when they say you'll have to pry their guns out of their cold dead fingers. If that is the road you think the government should travel down then good luck with that. I can only see the chitstorm that will arise when any government official proposes a nation wide ban. In the real world MD that is never going to happen. The gun culture and the love of firearms is too deeply ingrained in our culture. IMO the best option for starters is making it very tedious to go through the process of purchasing a high powered semi automatic weapon. That being said there are 50 different states that view this issue totally differently. You will not find any common ground in what Texas thinks is prudent as opposed to what New York thinks.
We've already done it and it worked, cradle. On a national basis.

It won't eliminate all of these weapons overnight, but those who wish to not be criminals will either turn them in "buy-back" or store and use them at the gun range. Big boon to gun range businesses, there will be many more...but they can be regulated for safety procedures etc.

I don't expect the national government to be going door to door, but when someone is suspected of committing a crime and a warrant is obtained, the illegal possession will have legal consequences. These can be escalatory in terms of #'s of weapons, sale to others, use in public areas, etc. A simple fine for the one weapon someone "forgot" but had well secured. But those are unlikely to ever be an issue if the person never uses it publicly or doesn't commit some other crime and then be subject to a warrant. It's only going to be the flagrant offenders and/or perpetrators of other crimes (eg drug or human trafficking).

But no brandishing in public, no shooting off one's porch...that draws attention and a response with real teeth.

Culture change takes time, but we can bend this thing.
Last edited by MDlaxfan76 on Wed May 10, 2023 10:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Typical Lax Dad

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 10:13 am I must be missing the joke?

I think purchasing any gun should be a bit of a challenge, requiring real background checks, safety training, and gun storage in place. No gun show or private sale exceptions. Register all.

I think the assault style weapons should be banned other than in well regulated gun ranges, and ammo for such should be costly regardless. Can rent there as well.

The "militia" argument is specious, we're not gonna be fighting with those 'free' shotguns, and we have a National Guard to serve that role in the Constitution.

Worried about having weapons that would actually be useful if say, the "commies" invaded ala Red Dawn?
Gun ranges.
When I got so much push back for making it expensive for people that want to defend their home to own a gun, I decided to give them the first gun and 100 rounds. Anything after that would be very expensive and the penalties for committing violent crimes with a weapon would be very stiff. Anyone selling a gun or transferring ownership would suffer a significant financial penalty.
“I wish you would!”
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 10:22 am
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 10:13 am I must be missing the joke?

Gun ranges.
When I got so much push back for making it expensive for people that want to defend their home to own a gun, I decided to give them the first gun and 100 rounds. Anything after that would be very expensive and the penalties for committing violent crimes with a weapon would be very stiff. Anyone selling a gun or transferring ownership would suffer a significant financial penalty.
yeah, I understood that pivot, but it ain't necessary to mollify those crying poverty, IMO.
But I get the notion that someone could apply for a grant to cover the cost of that first gun for self-defense.
Hunting, no.
PizzaSnake

Post by PizzaSnake »

DMac wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 9:11 am Bart is dead nuts on the money, hunters have lots of guns for a reason. Allowing one gun for hunting is like allowing one lure and pole for fishing. Good luck landing that bass with your fly rod.
What to do, what to do?
Natural solution. Need a couple of demographics to “timeout”. However, the perpetuation of the ethos needs to be addressed. The NRA and manufacturers know their math— they need to keep the “dream alive” in the large population centers. The hinterlands are irrelevant in terms of numbers. Now, there’s an area that needs improvement — the disproportionate representation of certain state’s populations. Utah, Wyoming, the Dakotas, New Mexico, Arizona.
"There is nothing more difficult and more dangerous to carry through than initiating changes. One makes enemies of those who prospered under the old order, and only lukewarm support from those who would prosper under the new."

Return to “POLITICS”