media matters

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.
jhu72

Re: media matters

Post by jhu72 »

a fan wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 9:31 pm
youthathletics wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 2:52 pm Hmmmm....disagree. I'd argue we've always considered critique, we just did not fixate on it like we were Rain man, having to see Wapner and Jeopardy before or we'd freak out and take out headlines in TMP and NYT and WSJ of our era. Now SM has provided a voice and a means of making cash off of it. If you tolerate everything, you stand for nothing....no different than the argument about LGBTQ+....its such a small percentage and yet, they make headlines and everyone has to kowtow to them or they are banned and ostracized.
Why are they making headlines? Because politicians keep passing laws that target them in an effort to score points with voters. And it's working, naturally.

Tell them to stop doing that, YA, and I promise you the headlines will disappear.
youthathletics wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 2:52 pm Parents over corrected from our era or rearing. Very few had a parents that allowed them pick put in a menu request for dinner each night at the young age of 3+. In short, we've cultivated sissies with very few social skills.
I keep hearing this, but that's not what I'm experiencing. Is this how you parent, YA?

My experience? Every playground around me is FILLED every day after school. As is every field......soccer, baseball, football, etc.. All of them filled with kids 5-18. My daughter? Her friends and classmates are EVERYTHING to her. And they ain't sitting around watching phones. They're playing.....just like I did when I was a kid.

Some of her buds? They are, for me----for me------, programming too much stuff. So every day it's a new club or "lesson" (piano, voice, etc). For us, we make sure she has days where she's left to her own devices.

Your mileage might vary. But I'm not seeing the doom and gloom we keep hearing from Boomers and GenX geezers like me.
... yup, nothing new under the Sun, other than different old fools complaining about different youngsters making their own way. Always been this way. :lol: :lol:
Image STAND AGAINST FASCISM
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

“I wish you would!”
Seacoaster(1)

Post by Seacoaster(1) »

You cannot work in a dirty environment — and stay there — and expect to be clean. The company you keep….
a fan

Post by a fan »

youthathletics wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 9:57 pm
youthathletics wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 2:52 pm Hmmmm....disagree. I'd argue we've always considered critique, we just did not fixate on it like we were Rain man, having to see Wapner and Jeopardy before or we'd freak out and take out headlines in TMP and NYT and WSJ of our era. Now SM has provided a voice and a means of making cash off of it. If you tolerate everything, you stand for nothing....no different than the argument about LGBTQ+....its such a small percentage and yet, they make headlines and everyone has to kowtow to them or they are banned and ostracized.
Why are they making headlines? Because politicians keep passing laws that target them in an effort to score points with voters. And it's working, naturally.

Tell them to stop doing that, YA, and I promise you the headlines will disappear.
youthathletics wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 2:52 pm Parents over corrected from our era or rearing. Very few had a parents that allowed them pick put in a menu request for dinner each night at the young age of 3+. In short, we've cultivated sissies with very few social skills.
I keep hearing this, but that's not what I'm experiencing. Is this how you parent, YA?

My experience? Every playground around me is FILLED every day after school. As is every field......soccer, baseball, football, etc.. All of them filled with kids 5-18. My daughter? Her friends and classmates are EVERYTHING to her. And they ain't sitting around watching phones. They're playing.....just like I did when I was a kid.

Some of her buds? They are, for me----for me------, programming too much stuff. So every day it's a new club or "lesson" (piano, voice, etc). For us, we make sure she has days where she's left to her own devices.

Your mileage might vary. But I'm not seeing the doom and gloom we keep hearing from Boomers and GenX geezers like me.
Just watched that CSPAN link OS posted. Given it watch…..worth the hour. We aren’t that far off between us. You tend to lean in a a bit more with partisanship, but generational tech has a say as well.
You didn't answer my question: are your lax fields not packed with parents? What are YOU experiencing?

I don't see what is claimed by this and other op-eds.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

a fan wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 2:05 pm

Just watched that CSPAN link OS posted. Given it watch…..worth the hour. We aren’t that far off between us. You tend to lean in a a bit more with partisanship, but generational tech has a say as well.
You didn't answer my question: are your lax fields not packed with parents? What are YOU experiencing?

I answered you at 630 this morning. If that did not suffice....I have no idea what you are asking me.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
a fan

Post by a fan »

youthathletics wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 2:31 pm

I answered you at 630 this morning. If that did not suffice....I have no idea what you are asking me.
:lol: Fair enough. I apologize if it wasn't clear-------I'm not seeing "cultivated sissies with very few social skills", as you put it.

I'm seeing the opposite of this...packed playgrounds, sports fields, parks, etc. Filled with kids. My daughter LIVES for her friends.

The question is: what are YOU seeing?
a fan

Post by a fan »

DMac wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 9:22 am She picks up the pace after the first 25 min or so, gets easier to listen to and becomes more interesting, IMO.
I think she's pretty good and has a pretty good grasp on what's happening out there, think she's seeing it as is
(keeping her kids away from social media as much as she can...very good idea in my book, not so much for
most parents though).
I'll keep watching, and give you my view.
DMac wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 9:22 am Nice to know 4 out of 10 Gen Zers see the founding fathers as villains (back to the Maher clip, what do you know about G. Washington....he owned slaves) and 36% are proud to be Americans. You can feel that in the mood of the country.
These surveys aren't complicated enough to capture the actual sentiment.

Ask me if I'm proud of the Founding Fathers. My answer is: mixed bag, just like every other human who has existed. How do you capture that in a survey? Depends on the question, and how you want to spin my answer.
DMac wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 9:22 am Sitting in front of screens = child obesity. You can see that in this country too (and now obesity is being pushed as something to be proud of...see Lizzo).
My grandfather said the same thing about TV in the 1970's, when folks moved from 1 to 2 TV's. Called it the Boob Tube. We're in front of screens right now, no? We're not in much of a position to throw stones.
DMac wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 9:22 am You say your playgrounds are packed, you won't see that here. I'm blown away by how seldomly you see kids outside playing (in general). Big ballfield I go by pretty regularly, soccer fields and softball fields. I see people/kids on that field when organized leagues/games are being played, never see kids out there throwing a ball around or whatever.
Most parents have kids doing more organized stuff. So they're doing singing lessons and the like. Or, like my daughter, running around inside with her buds, playing.

As for sports participation? Remember Title 9? There are MILLIONS more kids playing sports than they were when you were a kid. Girls can play now, no stigma attached.
DMac wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 9:22 am What I'll see the most on that field is the guy who goes there to throw a frisbee for his black GSD (the dog is fantastic, doesn't miss...I'll stop and watch him for awhile) because he's got the whole field for himself and his dog.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lbjfOZiWVbA
Happy to admit that Colorado is likely different. "Outside" is a way of life out here. So my experience may be quite skewed.
ohmilax34

Post by ohmilax34 »

a fan wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 2:43 pm
DMac wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 9:22 am You say your playgrounds are packed, you won't see that here. I'm blown away by how seldomly you see kids outside playing (in general). Big ballfield I go by pretty regularly, soccer fields and softball fields. I see people/kids on that field when organized leagues/games are being played, never see kids out there throwing a ball around or whatever.
Most parents have kids doing more organized stuff. So they're doing singing lessons and the like. Or, like my daughter, running around inside with her buds, playing.

As for sports participation? Remember Title 9? There are MILLIONS more kids playing sports than they were when you were a kid. Girls can play now, no stigma attached.
DMac wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 9:22 am What I'll see the most on that field is the guy who goes there to throw a frisbee for his black GSD (the dog is fantastic, doesn't miss...I'll stop and watch him for awhile) because he's got the whole field for himself and his dog.
Happy to admit that Colorado is likely different. "Outside" is a way of life out here. So my experience may be quite skewed.
Good point about being in Colorado. I'm guessing for a lot of families that currently live there, someone in their family moved there a little while back because of all the outdoor activities and getting outside is important to that family.

April 25 article in the WSJ from Jason Gay about the North Carolina bill about participation trophies and youth sports participation was interesting.
According to the Aspen institute's project play, which monitors data from the sports & fitness industry assoc., the percentage of kids aged 6-12 who regularly played a team sport dropped from 45% in 2008 to 38% in 2019.
I'm paraphrasing a little. As parents with young kids, my wife and I have encouraged playing outside and particularly unorganized play. We're lucky to live near young families who have kids who play outside as well. But some families near us don't seem to prioritize that. And I think those kids are often over-programmed, with activities every night for something.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

a fan wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 2:35 pm
youthathletics wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 2:31 pm

:lol: Fair enough. I apologize if it wasn't clear-------I'm not seeing "cultivated sissies with very few social skills", as you put it.

I'm seeing the opposite of this...packed playgrounds, sports fields, parks, etc. Filled with kids. My daughter LIVES for her friends.

The question is: what are YOU seeing?
Just wait until she gets to MS and HS.....you'll then understand with a bit more clarity, and I hope like hell it gets better. And no, I am not saying its doom and gloom, but it is noticeably and significantly different. I will also add.....Covid really screwed with these kids.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
a fan

Post by a fan »

ohmilax34 wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 3:00 pm We're lucky to live near young families who have kids who play outside as well. But some families near us don't seem to prioritize that. And I think those kids are often over-programmed, with activities every night for something.
That's what I've seen. Aggressive, 1st generation upper-middle class parents both overprogramming (my opinion), and deemphasizing sports.

So instead of sports? Math camps. Science camps. Anything that they think gives their kids an advantage.

Both my nephews played sports, and then dropped it in HS as their nonstop calendars were filled with other activities.

My plant managers son? Dropped baseball to focus on Construction at the local Tech Hub as it the time constraints were nuts. Loves it. Would rather build stuff than chase a ball. Still part of the mountain biking club, though.

I think we're coming to the wrong conclusion about sports, and why kids are quitting.

We all know that lacrosse used to be one sport of many we played. Now? Year round clubs has ruined the experience, imho. WAY too intense, especially with the clubs. Both my nephews dropped the sport because Columbine made it a year round commitment.

The other is that parents want their kids to attend the best college possible. So kids are moving into the "overprogramming" you mentioned...and away from sports.

My opinion, based in zero stats.
a fan

Post by a fan »

youthathletics wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 3:12 pm Just wait until she gets to MS and HS.....you'll then understand with a bit more clarity, and I hope like hell it gets better. And no, I am not saying its doom and gloom, but it is noticeably and significantly different. I will also add.....Covid really screwed with these kids.
Again...can you explain what YOU are seeing? Share your experience, pls.

Just saw it first hand with my nephews....graduated High School 3 years ago, and 5 years ago.

Nonstop work, study, activities. Both full time jobs straight out of HS for one, and straight out of college for the other. All their pals were the same.

Older nephew's former HS girlfriend? Graduated Design School in 3 years, and decided she wants to be a pilot. Flies 8 hours per day, and is already a certified instructor.

These kids are WAY more accomplished that I was at their age.
Last edited by a fan on Tue May 09, 2023 3:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

I believe we are all saying much the same thing, just coming at it from different avenues. The SDSU Dr in the video that OS posted, is providing plenty of .gov and high participant studies. Sure, it's not etched in stone science....but its abou the best we have to work with and it makes quite a bit of sense. Especially when you can look backwards and align that data with pivot points in history.
~Livy

youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

a fan wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 3:15 pm
youthathletics wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 3:12 pm Just wait until she gets to MS and HS.....you'll then understand with a bit more clarity, and I hope like hell it gets better. And no, I am not saying its doom and gloom, but it is noticeably and significantly different. I will also add.....Covid really screwed with these kids.

Just saw it first hand with my nephews....graduated High School 3 years ago, and 5 years ago.

Nonstop work, study, activities. Both full time jobs straight out of HS for one, and straight out of college for the other. All their pals were the same.

Older nephew? Graduated Design School in 3 years, and decided she wants to be a pilot. Flys 8 hours per day, and is already a certified instructor.

Heading to practice, so I'll replay later. Please be a bit more speciif.....my experience with what, exactly?

I have been coaching and running youth & HS sports for over 20 years, have run a Rec/League Organization which had 4 sports and cheerleading with well over 400 kids enrolled at any given time.
~Livy

a fan

Post by a fan »

youthathletics wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 3:26 pm
a fan wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 3:15 pm

Older nephew? Graduated Design School in 3 years, and decided she wants to be a pilot. Flys 8 hours per day, and is already a certified instructor.

Heading to practice, so I'll replay later. Please be a bit more speciif.....my experience with what, exactly?

I have been coaching and running youth & HS sports for over 20 years, have run a Rec/League Organization which had 4 sports and cheerleading with well over 400 kids enrolled at any given time.
Right! That's what I thought....this is why I asked.

Are the kids in your care, as you put it, "cultivated sissies with very few social skills."
ohmilax34

Post by ohmilax34 »

a fan wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 3:13 pm
ohmilax34 wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 3:00 pm We're lucky to live near young families who have kids who play outside as well. But some families near us don't seem to prioritize that. And I think those kids are often over-programmed, with activities every night for something.

I think we're coming to the wrong conclusion about sports, and why kids are quitting.

We all know that lacrosse used to be one sport of many we played. Now? Year round clubs has ruined the experience, imho. WAY too intense, especially with the clubs. Both my nephews dropped the sport because Columbine made it a year round commitment.

I think this is exactly right.

I inexplicably moved to a town with almost no lacrosse. Most of the neighboring towns have lacrosse. I was approached by someone in the community and the HS athletic director about starting a lacrosse program. I've been working on that over the last 8 months. I bring my 9 year old son with me, but he'd rather not come. It doesn't interest him. I try to make it as fun as possible for kids like him who aren't interested in a really competitive youth sport experience. He enjoys being outside, going to a playground, riding his scooter, playing on the beach and going swimming, but an organized sport doesn't interest him. I think there are plenty of kids like this and the current youth sports culture (read: "elite, travel, year-round teams") doesn't fit them.

I've told the parents whose kids are participating that I'm not going to make this year-round. We will have lacrosse in the spring only, and I hope their child enjoys other activities during other parts of the year. Some 3rd graders couldn't participate this spring because they were too busy with "travel" soccer.
DMac

Post by DMac »

a fan wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 2:43 pm
DMac wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 9:22 am She picks up the pace after the first 25 min or so, gets easier to listen to and becomes more interesting, IMO.
I think she's pretty good and has a pretty good grasp on what's happening out there, think she's seeing it as is
(keeping her kids away from social media as much as she can...very good idea in my book, not so much for
most parents though).
I'll keep watching, and give you my view.
DMac wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 9:22 am Nice to know 4 out of 10 Gen Zers see the founding fathers as villains (back to the Maher clip, what do you know about G. Washington....he owned slaves) and 36% are proud to be Americans. You can feel that in the mood of the country.
These surveys aren't complicated enough to capture the actual sentiment.

Ask me if I'm proud of the Founding Fathers. My answer is: mixed bag, just like every other human who has existed. How do you capture that in a survey? Depends on the question, and how you want to spin my answer.
DMac wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 9:22 am Sitting in front of screens = child obesity. You can see that in this country too (and now obesity is being pushed as something to be proud of...see Lizzo).
My grandfather said the same thing about TV in the 1970's, when folks moved from 1 to 2 TV's. Called it the Boob Tube. We're in front of screens right now, no? We're not in much of a position to throw stones.
Yup, boob tube/idiot box. In front of a screen yes but I'm (we're) not 12, inactive and overweight (see the state of affairs with fitness and military recruiting).

Sports participation numbers are up (gotta be on that travel team, ya know) but I sure don't see any kids out playing any pick up games. You couldn't go by many fields and not see that in my day (or my yard for that matter). Don't go by many/any outdoor hoops courts but I'd guess you might find some action there. A zillion articles you could choose, but from this one...
Too much screen time
Too little physical activity

https://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/overwe ... od-obesity

Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Parents over corrected from our era or rearing. Very few had a parents that allowed them pick put in a menu request for dinner each night at the young age of 3+. In short, we've cultivated sissies with very few social skills.
You mangled the saying:

It’s “ if you stand for nothing you’ll fall for anything.”

That’s very very different from what you wrote. One can tolerate many things while standing for positions.

Incredibly different meaning. Tolerance is a good thing and untethered to taking specific positions to the point of rejecting anything in any way in opposition to them.
Harvard University, out
University of Utah, in

I am going to get a 4.0 in damage.

(Afan jealous he didn’t do this first)
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 3:34 pm

Parents over corrected from our era or rearing. Very few had a parents that allowed them pick put in a menu request for dinner each night at the young age of 3+. In short, we've cultivated sissies with very few social skills.
uh huh...old guy rant... ;)

let's see civil rights marches, dogs and fire hoses, college kids sitting in and shot by National Guard, riot after riot, assassinations, women burning bras, college kids burning draft cards and American flags. Gay folks beaten in NY...gay parades. Black Panthers. Bombings...

Sure, "critique" in every area...what were the old 'progressives' saying about those youngsters, give'em hell?
Nope, they said slow down, quieten down, take your time, progress will come.

And they blamed Dr. Spock for our generation being so impatient..."spoiled"...

meanwhile...

Every major era of social unrest has young people fed up with the status quo and older generations saying slow down.

Yes, social media provides a way to express one's voice faster...

but "me too" was real and way, way overdue.

Gay marriage came super fast relative to older generation's assumptions, but young folks were saying, what the heck are you talking about, of course people should be free to marry who they want.

BLM happened largely because it was simply time, with most people outraged by what they saw over and over again with the now ubiquitous cell phone cameras...why should we put up with this police violence anymore?

Of course, there's extreme positions, demanding professors can't say what they think, challenge their students with views they find uncomfortable...of course, it's always been the case of young folks pushing harder and harder when they don't think society is listening.

And hey, "society" (meaning the old folks) really aren't listening...so young folks yell louder...

Obviously, there's something to be said for the perspective of the older generation, but dismissing the young folks the way you just did is the opposite of listening.
It’s the processing speed and flattening of the world.

I can’t stand many between 19-30 these days but I try to tolerate it and remember they have no power, no money and limited influence. I joked w my sister when my son was born “man it’s nice to be a baby, crap when and where you want and get cleaned up, get fed, etc” to which my sister responds “well imagine being new to the world, you can’t form words or express your needs or feelings, everything you see, touch and experience is new, etc- it’s hard for babies which is why it’s important for parents to deliver them into the world safely and where they know themselves”. A bit parochial but I try to take that view with the average 23yr old these days as much as I can. We need them to be decent in ten years more than we realize.
Harvard University, out
University of Utah, in

Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Wife got my kids tablets. We limit their usage to a degree but it’s too much w TV and Roku. Ours are better than many in my general hood but our massive park 3 blocks away isn’t as filled as you describe. I won’t be going back for a week or two as ive been in bed for about 30hrs now having slipped playing BB w my son on as side of the court that wasn’t cleaned with something red overhang and there’s a concrete ledge which I landed airborn on mid back yesterday late afternoon. Barely turning my head to right and pretty sure I have 1-4 broken anterior rib cage bones as breathing hurts. Told my son to go to the park today with his friend on the block but that mother is afraid to let her kid who’s 10 go three blocks to the park so he didn’t get there today. Daughter I’m worried about becoming a social media statistic very much. She does stuff but has to be guided and is semi unmitigated - I wanted to try and play a board game with her today but after about 15 min of sitting upright the pain hit so that ended and she was back on tv which is a bummer.
Harvard University, out
University of Utah, in

Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 9:50 pm

The young people we hire each year are impressive. Mentoring our young people is one aspect of my job that I really enjoy.
You just have to manage input/comp framework and expectations I imagine. That’s changed so much in terms of who or where value add comes from in finance that every kid thinks if they thought about a transaction that they were the driving force behind it.
Harvard University, out
University of Utah, in

Return to “POLITICS”