THE 2019 Hopkins Lacrosse Fallout Shelter (44, we want more!)

D1 Mens Lacrosse
Jaysjay88

Re: THE Hopkins Lacrosse Fallout Shelter (44, we want more!)

Post by Jaysjay88 »

I debated watching the game last night. I was so sure I would be again be disappointed. And I have been quietly seething here in Oakland watching the Jays program in decline the past several seasons and like many chanting "Petro must go". I loved him during his playing days. He was second only to Del Dressel on my favorite all time list, partial of course to my tenure at Hop. I was ecstatic when he came back to coach and gave him the benefit of the doubt, but its become so evident: incomplete/poor recruiting and/or poor player development, poor game planning, poor in game adjustments, poor sportsmanship on the sidelines. Then last night happened. Not that one game changes that much, but what I saw last night was a team playing to its potential (save goalie play), with energy and purpose, and a coaching staff that had a very sound game plan that the players were ready to execute. That was not the terps best night, but it was certainly close the the Jays best all season.

So now I debate a different question. Does last night prove Petro still has it in him to coach Jays' teams to their potential and should stay, or does it confirm that he hasn't been, cant do it consistently, and therefore must go? I think I come down on the side of going, but anyone change their mind after last night?
houndace1

Post by houndace1 »

i think one of the biggest choices that really affected the performance was using Zinn in the midfield. I mean it looks like hes effortlessly gliding past defenders. He's a clearing machine, can shoot the lights out. There were several times where he beat his defender and got to the middle of the field where i thought he could shoot but he swung it around to another player. Him breezing past defenders quite literally opened up so much space for the midfield and attack to operate.
Loyola '18
A.M.D.G
Big Dog

Post by Big Dog »

I mean it looks like hes effortlessly gliding past defenders. He's a clearing machine, can shoot the lights out.
Agree about Zinn. It's amazing what speed can do.

But, he's gonna have to hit the net to make Tillman care about him. Otherwise, in round 2, the Terps will just let him run. Until Zinn can show that he's a scorer too, Tillman will just try to lock down Epstein, Williams and Marr.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Big Dog wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2019 4:55 pm
I mean it looks like hes effortlessly gliding past defenders. He's a clearing machine, can shoot the lights out.

But, he's gonna have to hit the net to make Tillman care about him. Otherwise, in round 2, the Terps will just let him run. Until Zinn can show that he's a scorer too, Tillman will just try to lock down Epstein, Williams and Marr.
Dolan made a really nice save down low on a shot Zinn had on the run cutting directly through the middle of the defense. It didn't go in, no, but I doubt Tillman wants his goalie to see any more shots like that one. Even when he's not putting the ball in the back of the net, Zinn's speed is getting the defense moving. More than one Hopkins goal last night started with a Zinn dodge from up top.

One thing I'm pretty sure is that Maryland is going to be sliding a lot less on Thursday. Unnecessary slides to Smith and Williams led directly to goals. I think they can live with Baskin scoring off the dodge on the invert or Epstein bagging a couple on severe angles—there's not much a defense can do with that. But the days of Maryland's D *creating offense* for us will likely be shortlived. Benson needs to find something else up his sleeve. I think it was a mistake for them to not put their best defender (Corley) on Epstein. I know Corley is known for his physicality and they likely wanted him matched up with the bigger/stronger Williams, but I'm not sure Welding is up to the task of guarding Epstein. If the switch is made, like 51 said, Williams will have to step up.
primitiveskills

Post by primitiveskills »

Hard to know what Maryland was trying to do defensively last night. They weren't happy with their match ups with Epstein and Williams, so played zone most opf the second half, but the zone was horrendous. That said, Hopkins made them pay with ball movement and patience waiting for the right shot.

Agree with other posters pointing out the huge difference Zinn makes, even without scoring.Instant one-man clear, beats his man routinely to get the defense moving and and rotating. Dolan made his two best saves of the night on Zinn shots, so in the rematch if they want to continue leaving him shoot after beating the shorty, I'd be fine with that.

Blondell's length up top made a difference. Next year I could see moving Reinson to close and giving Blondell more run. And if Coulter hasn't been healthy the past couple of years, that's the only explanation I can think of for keeping him off the field. He's been the best SSDM on the field the past game and a half.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

Big Dog wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2019 4:55 pm

Lots of speed and athleticism on display, not just from Zinn, but also Coulter and Blondell, needless to mention Foley and Kuhn.

This Hopkins team doesn’t lack in speed and athleticism. When they work as a team and play with high energy, they can play with anyone.

This Blue Jay team is finally showing some chemistry on the field.

DocBarrister 8-)
@DocBarrister
Big Dog

Post by Big Dog »

I think it was a mistake for them to not put their best defender (Corley) on Epstein.
I'll bet that will change on Thursday. Put your best guy on a Freshman and see what he can do, particularly since Epstein is the key playmaker.

Epstein bagging a couple on severe angles..
Even on replay it's hard to see how he squeezes those in. Kid is an incredible talent.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

Big Dog wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2019 5:43 pm
I think it was a mistake for them to not put their best defender (Corley) on Epstein.
I'll bet that will change on Thursday. Put your best guy on a Freshman and see what he can do, particularly since Epstein is the key playmaker.

Even on replay it's hard to see how he squeezes those in. Kid is an incredible talent.
I recall watching high school videos of Epstein making the same shots after dodging from behind the net. Remember thinking that those were quaint high school moves that wouldn’t work against Division I defenders. Recall wondering whether Epstein was too small and slow to succeed in Division I.

So much for that. It’s pretty obvious that Epstein has been practicing the same dodges and shots for many years. Everyone knows what to expect, and they still can’t stop him.

If that’s not an early sign of potential greatness, I don’t know what is.

Here, take a look and ask yourself whether that little kid’s moves and shots look familiar: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=svsAXOdU6b4

DocBarrister 8-)
@DocBarrister
primitiveskills

Post by primitiveskills »

Big Dog wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2019 5:43 pm

Has a really quick release, a very good first step, disguises the shooting angle really well, and is super accurate. Very hard for goalie to read.
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

Post by WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus »

Survive and Advance.

Any game now could be the last for the 18-19 edition of mlax.

Full 60+ minutes (+ if OT needed.)

Leave it all on the field.

Let’s have Turtle on the Half Shell.
Bluejayfan2

Post by Bluejayfan2 »

Jaysjay88 wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2019 3:50 pm I debated watching the game last night. I was so sure I would be again be disappointed. And I have been quietly seething here in Oakland watching the Jays program in decline the past several seasons and like many chanting "Petro must go". I loved him during his playing days. He was second only to Del Dressel on my favorite all time list, partial of course to my tenure at Hop. I was ecstatic when he came back to coach and gave him the benefit of the doubt, but its become so evident: incomplete/poor recruiting and/or poor player development, poor game planning, poor in game adjustments, poor sportsmanship on the sidelines. Then last night happened. Not that one game changes that much, but what I saw last night was a team playing to its potential (save goalie play), with energy and purpose, and a coaching staff that had a very sound game plan that the players were ready to execute. That was not the terps best night, but it was certainly close the the Jays best all season.

So now I debate a different question. Does last night prove Petro still has it in him to coach Jays' teams to their potential and should stay, or does it confirm that he hasn't been, cant do it consistently, and therefore must go? I think I come down on the side of going, but anyone change their mind after last night?
Only a run to the final 4 in my mind- It might be good for Petro to finish out and bank on it with a less pressure job like Zim. Game, kids, athletes and Hopkins have changed. Not sure who the right guy is but 2009-2019 aint working.
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

Post by WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus »

Saturday reminded me of Muhammad Ali back in the rope a dope days. I still think the night was a complete conspiracy. First, UMd didn’t have much to play for except Da Crab and avoiding injuries.

Second, Hopkins is in do or die mode, so Tillman, et al, got to observe every new wrinkle by Hopkins and then prepare to meet those wrinkles with their own wrinkles this Thursday.

But mainly, third, the great D1 Conspiracy: I’m sure fellow Coaches reached out to Tills and said, hey, please prop up Weekend At Bernie’s so that he gets extended and we can all keep beating up on Hopkins.

51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

I hear you Wombat but to give the boys some credit - Maryland is still playing for seeding in the NCAA Tournament, it was Maryland Day, the Lady Terps defeated a game Hopkins team right before and as Keith Jackson always said "These two teams just plain don't like each other." I noticed for example Tillman never said "Hopkins" or "Jays" in the post game presser - always said "opponent". Curtis Corely was very classy in all his post game comments especially when asked a difficult question to assess Epstein. Hopkins had their season on the line no doubt.

I also didn't see alot of wrinkles - Narewski has subbed in before. Coulter played against Penn State. Epstein hanging up the defense and trying to feed the crease has been a staple. The only wrinkle I saw was some use of Zinn from up top in the second mid-field. Baskin did an invert, Marr scored 1 from long range, 2 long pole goals. Maryland scored on over half their shots - I hope whatever defensive wrinkles Hopkins had on defense were shelved quickly.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

51percentcorn wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 7:42 am The only wrinkle I saw was some use of Zinn from up top in the second mid-field.
It is a breathtaking farce that it took them 13 games to come up with this "wrinkle." Would love for the media members in these postgame pressers to actually ask the staff more pointed questions so that maybe we might actually get an answer as to their thinking on this particular topic. But I suppose in this niche community sport especially, reporters are more interested in cozying up to programs for access and such than they are in doing their jobs and relaying information to fans. I don't think there's a single personnel/X's and O's question the Hopkins fan base wants to know more than why Zinn hasn't been playing offense all season.

Back to the game—the old adage says it's very hard to beat a team twice. (I don't know exactly how accurate it is really but I think the basic logic of it makes sense.) Maryland is NOT going to just throw the ball away inexplicably 2-3 times. After getting embarrassed on their home field you can bet they'll play with a little more of an edge and some more energy too.

On the bright side, I expect (more like pray) that we will get some better goaltending in the second game. You're not going to win again making only 2 saves.
steel_hop

Post by steel_hop »

WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 12:52 am
Second, Hopkins is in do or die mode, so Tillman, et al, got to observe every new wrinkle by Hopkins and then prepare to meet those wrinkles with their own wrinkles this Thursday.
I watched the game on Saturday on a plane coming back from Hawaii via LA and only watched on a small 9 inch screen and most people of have already hit on most points. But, this one should be expanded on. I think you are exactly right. I think UMd didn't put much of a game plan in place on Saturday. They knew there was a 90% chance they were going to play Hopkins on Thursday. They probably wanted to see what a desperate Hopkins team would do. I would imagine their game plan will be very different on Thursday.

They will know what Hopkins wants to do. I'd also imagine the MD will come out with more fire than they did on Saturday night after getting worked over. MD made some very unTerp like passes that make you scratch your head. The game was also much closer than it appeared. As I said, I think Tillman closed up shop after halftime defensively and just let his kids play. He didn't leave much out there to diagnosis.

Further, if MD doesn't turn the ball over that much and wins a couple of more face-offs, the game is much closer. Hopkins couldn't stop MD's offense. And Darby couldn't buy a save. And for all we talk about the defense leaving him out to dry...Darby is a .463 save guy. That isn't very good. While not all of those are his fault, there are bunch of saveable shots that he lets get into the back of the net. Dixon got on him about a couple of goals he let by but there were others. The 1st MD goal of the game needs to be saved. The Jays defender was on Fairman's hands and it wasn't that fast it should be saved.
HopFan16 wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 9:19 am
It is a breathtaking farce that it took them 13 games to come up with this "wrinkle."

I know there is a bunch of people that say posters aren't at practice and don't know what players are practicing well to see the field. But, is it a wonder why some posters ask these questions. Coulter, Zinn and Blondell played very well and it makes it wonder what the coaches are watching in practice - particularly on Coulter and Zinn. I don't buy the Zinn is nursing injuries (beyond the normal season bumps and bruises) to warrant is lack of playing time on offense. I am sure he will "talked to" with respect to his play (especially the ole defense) but he should have had 2 goals (one of the pipe and one was a great save) to go along with his assist. He brought more good than bad to the game. How would the offense be if he was playnig more time from the start. There is no doubt, overall, the offense runs at a different pace with him in there. Anyone can see that.
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

Looked to me that Hopkins played very good defense after MD took their 5-1 lead. 6 goals allowed in 3 quarters, I will take that any day. Jays changed the defense to short stick one of the attackmen and move the pole to midfield. Jays appeared to run more bodies on defense than normal. Not buying that Tillman just decided to let the kids play with no direction.

Biggest story was Jays playing aggressively for ground balls all over the field. Zinn speed looked good (always does), but his speed didn't translate into anyone else being faster. The rest of the team's inherent speed was there all along. The desire or ability based on injury to go all out for some of these guys may not have been. They played as I would have expected by the time of the UVA game on, but did not.

Have to wonder about the goalies seeing the ball in the first half. One end of the field had 6 goals scored against it, the other 12 goals. Darby to me did not look real comfortable seeing the first quarter.
Image STAND AGAINST FASCISM
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

I think I'm usually right there in the reasonableness foxhole with you steelhop but I am going to take a couple of the other sides to your thoughts. I fail to see how Maryland shrank their game plan. They looked pretty efficient and up for the game when they scored on their first five shots and looked close to running Hopkins out of the building. Maybe at that point some overconfidence seeped in and they thought Hopkins might roll up and surrender but the difference after the first quarter was possession time. Maryland's game plan has to be - get the ball more and do what we do. And while I made the exact same point as you on turnovers - Darby has certainly played better than a 15% save percentage so those two issues MIGHT cancel each other out. If Darby repeats his Week-end performance Hopkins will almost certainly lose as I agree - 14 turnovers and some of those turnovers are not very likely to repeat themselves. But if he was at 45% on Saturday that's 4 more possessions.

I have a hard time believing the Maryland coaches - with an opportunity to saddle Petro with a losing season in front of 13,000 people on the last home game for Seniors, Maryland Day, prime time TV etc. said in the coach's room - let's play it completely simple and wait for the Big 10 Tournament. Two years ago Hopkins came limping in to Maryland Stadium at 8-4 and it was 10-1 at the half or something like that.

As I stated above - I also didn't see alot of Hopkins' wrinkles. You can point to Zinn's alley dodges and Smith operating in the middle of the offense as two very small wrinkles - otherwise it looked like the same Hop to me - Epstein behind the goal, Williams doing the most 1 v 1 dodging, smurfs inverting etc.

I am sure Maryland will have different slide packages to Epstein and Williams - they may switch a couple of defensive assignments. They may pressure more especially if Hop wins more face-offs but objective #1 if I am a Terp is to get the ball. Maryland is a semi deliberate team and it puts them a little behind the eight ball to lose a bunch of face-offs and watch Epstein twirl the ball in his stick and have to guard cutters again and again. I would expect an adjustment on the face-offs.

I am sure the Terps will be hyper-focused on Thursday. Hopkins will see a hornet's nest in the first quarter - have to survive it and gain possessions just like Saturday. Do that and you have a chance - if Maryland gets alot more possessions - good day, good afternoon and good night.
Big Dog

Post by Big Dog »

Not into Wombat's ver of a conspiracy, but I do think Tillman played Hopkins straight up. Sure, playing spoiler to a rival is always great, but no special game planning to improve chances of a win; no special tweaks to throttle Epstein, for example. That will be different on Thursday.
Chitown

Post by Chitown »

It never gets old !

https://youtu.be/WwrD-fWJbBU

Lets win on Thursday
Wheels

Post by Wheels »

I disagree with posters who say that Hopkins had only a few wrinkles in their offensive game plan. Granted, I've only seen 3 or 4 Hopkins games this year, but their offense on Saturday looked more like what Rutgers did to Maryland 2 weeks ago, which Rutgers aped from Penn State.

You all can tell me, but before Saturday how often did Hopkins partially invert their midfielders to start dodges against shorties on the low wing/GLE? What was done purely to hang up Maryland's defense with Epstein uncovered at X. That's not something I saw Hopkins do a lot of before Saturday night. I'd seen Hopkins play the two-man game with Williams and Epstein behind the goal, which Hopkins still did a little bit of.

What I saw more was putting Williams in a position to feed as opposed to just dodge. How often before Saturday did Hopkins work to get Williams switched onto a shorty? They did that a lot on Saturday. Williams and Smith did a lot of dodging at GLE with the goal of drawing a slide. I hadn't see a lot of that before Saturday. I'd seen a lot of Williams backing down opponents and trying to get to the middle. He and Smith were really good at rolling or floating away with a double coming and moving the ball.

I saw very little of Hopkins running midfielders down the alley. I saw quite the opposite on Saturday. I saw Hopkins midfielders initiate offense like they were attackmen (which most of them were in high school!)...on the wings and near GLE.

Hopkins did what Penn St did to Maryland...and what RU and OSU did, too. But you all have seen way more of Hopkins this year, so I defer to you all.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”