Maryland 2023

D1 Mens Lacrosse
LaxPundit07

Re: Maryland 2023

Post by LaxPundit07 »

jrn19 wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 7:14 pm So you intended exactly what you said and yet 3 posts up you complain that people took it where you didn't intend. Okay.
Well, actually, yes. That is what I am saying. I made a comment with a particular intent in mind. Another poster took it a different direction.
random observer

Post by random observer »

jrn19 wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 7:19 pm
random observer wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 7:17 pm
jrn19 wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 7:14 pm So you intended exactly what you said and yet 3 posts up you complain that people took it where you didn't intend. Okay.
He intended exactly what he said. He did not intend what you said he said. Those are not contradictory opinions.
I never said he said anything. Complaining that people think it's weird for you to pass opinions on the marital status of a lacrosse coach is definitely something though. Same with claiming that someone you do not know and do not have any sort of relationship with is personally unlikable. It makes you come off kinda weird!
I agree with you on that. But he clarified that he didn't really mean to make it about the marital status. I can see why you took offense to that part, and I can also see the manner in which he meant something a little different than what you took it as.
LaxPundit07

Post by LaxPundit07 »

random observer wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 7:20 pm
He intended exactly what he said. He did not intend what you said he said. Those are not contradictory opinions.
I never said he said anything. Complaining that people think it's weird for you to pass opinions on the marital status of a lacrosse coach is definitely something though. Same with claiming that someone you do not know and do not have any sort of relationship with is personally unlikable. It makes you come off kinda weird!
I agree with you on that. But he clarified that he didn't really mean to make it about the marital status. I can see why you took offense to that part, and I can also see the manner in which he meant something a little different than what you took it as.
Thank you, Random Observer.

And for the record, I never complained that a poster misinterpreted my post or focused on the wrong part. I simply said I was going to bow out because I didn’t like where it was going…..because that is not what I intended.
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

I don't take offense to it. I'm not John Tillman. Don't know the guy. However, if you're going to comment on that sort of stuff on a message board about lacrosse, people are gonna think you're weird, because it's a weird comment, and then backtracking and claiming people "took it a way you didn't intend" is hilarious because people just reacted to exactly what you said.
MoralTerpitude

Post by MoralTerpitude »

With all this focus on whether Coach Tills is a saint or an iPad-wielding sociopath, the way OSU received the Terps before their game is not being discussed (and once again kudos to Wheels on sharing these tidbits).

It’s one thing to create a home field advantage during the game (selling tickets in such a way that it is tough for visiting fans to get them, etc). But these are collegiate athletes, and not the kind that are now getting paid. Not receiving the team when they arrive at the OSU facilities… ok, perhaps an oversight. Locking them out of the visitor’s locker room? That is straight up bush league.

Heck, even the Celtics never did this to the Lakers in their 80’s heyday (they turned the heat up to like 100 degrees, but at least the Lakers could get in!).
masondixonlax

Post by masondixonlax »

jrn19 wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 7:25 pm
I don't take offense to it. I'm not John Tillman. Don't know the guy. However, if you're going to comment on that sort of stuff on a message board about lacrosse, people are gonna think you're weird, because it's a weird comment, and then backtracking and claiming people "took it a way you didn't intend" is hilarious because people just reacted to exactly what you said.

Agreed. Oddly specific and just weird over someone you know next to nothing about. Would not like to meet some of the people in real life behind some of the posts on here
Wheels

Post by Wheels »

MoralTerpitude wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 7:26 pm With all this focus on whether Coach Tills is a saint or an iPad-wielding sociopath, the way OSU received the Terps before their game is not being discussed (and once again kudos to Wheels on sharing these tidbits).

It’s one thing to create a home field advantage during the game (selling tickets in such a way that it is tough for visiting fans to get them, etc). But these are collegiate athletes, and not the kind that are now getting paid. Not receiving the team when they arrive at the OSU facilities… ok, perhaps an oversight. Locking them out of the visitor’s locker room? That is straight up bush league.

Heck, even the Celtics never did this to the Lakers in their 80’s heyday (they turned the heat up to like 100 degrees, but at least the Lakers could get in!).
Speaking of "John Tillman's iPad" (as if no other team does this...including the 10 OSU student managers on the sidelines with iPads affixed to their hands with what looked like an Aquaman contraption), here's another interesting thing about OSU's stadium. Maryland was told that their iPads could connect to the monitors in the locker rooms, but they couldn't. The locker rooms didn't have whiteboards, either, so the staff apparently was using paper pads and pens to draw things up to hold up in front of the position groups. Mental note to the Maryland staff next year (believe OSU hosts the B1G next year), bring those U12-style coaching boards with dry erase pens!
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

Wheels wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 2:29 pm It was one thing when Tillman regularly took the Terps to Memorial Day and lost. Poor John, too conservative. Too cautious. Maybe he'll find the solution in his iPad. Yuck-Yucks all around.

Then he won 2 titles and sent a raft of former assistants to head coaching positions.

Now everyone wants to psychoanalyze him.

Can I put the glove issue to rest here? Because I've confirmed what happened with multiple people who were there.

One, when the Terps showed up to the stadium for their practice, no one from OSU met them (not normal). Two, not only did no one meet them, the locker room was locked (definitely not normal). Three, when the Terps started practicing, someone in the press box started playing highlights of the OSU-MD football game. Which led to, four, members of the OSU lacrosse team sitting in the stands and heckling Dante Trader. I've confirmed this with 4 people who were there.

As for the glove situation, and keep in mind Tills is the chair of the rules committee, he got in the ref's ear after the Kelly goal was disallowed (it was clearly a push from behind and the ball clearly hit the net before he stepped into the crease). He questioned whether the refs even knew the basic rules, like the gloves. The refs actually didn't know that rule (which Shawn Nadelon actually used to get a Hopkins goal wiped off the board a few years ago), and they asked if he wanted a check then. He didn't. More than a quarter later after the Terps tied it, the refs huddled before the face-off. That's when they noted the rule violation. No one asked for it. No one even knew what the refs were huddling about.

As for Conry, you all are really scraping the barrel here looking for reasons to confirm your priors. Tills and Conry are very good friends (as he is with Kevin Warne). Conry doesn't get that job without Tills. I have no idea why he didn't hug him the way Jake and Jesse did. Maybe he did later. But to act like this shows some character flaw is laughable. I guess the same people who were OUTRAGED!!! after the gloves and swore they'd never root for Tills again (yeah, check the post on this thread), they'll be similarly OUTRAGED!!! about how they think Tills should have hugged Conry.

The internet needs outrage, though, so have at it. We'll know this has really jumped the shark when the ESPN Bobbleheads take up the cause. Maybe Quint can talk about gentlemanly conduct again as he's trolling for more outrage.
wheels crushing the backstories.
keno in reno

Post by keno in reno »

wgdsr wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 7:37 pm
Wheels wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 2:29 pm It was one thing when Tillman regularly took the Terps to Memorial Day and lost. Poor John, too conservative. Too cautious. Maybe he'll find the solution in his iPad. Yuck-Yucks all around.

Then he won 2 titles and sent a raft of former assistants to head coaching positions.

Can I put the glove issue to rest here? Because I've confirmed what happened with multiple people who were there.

One, when the Terps showed up to the stadium for their practice, no one from OSU met them (not normal). Two, not only did no one meet them, the locker room was locked (definitely not normal). Three, when the Terps started practicing, someone in the press box started playing highlights of the OSU-MD football game. Which led to, four, members of the OSU lacrosse team sitting in the stands and heckling Dante Trader. I've confirmed this with 4 people who were there.

As for the glove situation, and keep in mind Tills is the chair of the rules committee, he got in the ref's ear after the Kelly goal was disallowed (it was clearly a push from behind and the ball clearly hit the net before he stepped into the crease). He questioned whether the refs even knew the basic rules, like the gloves. The refs actually didn't know that rule (which Shawn Nadelon actually used to get a Hopkins goal wiped off the board a few years ago), and they asked if he wanted a check then. He didn't. More than a quarter later after the Terps tied it, the refs huddled before the face-off. That's when they noted the rule violation. No one asked for it. No one even knew what the refs were huddling about.

As for Conry, you all are really scraping the barrel here looking for reasons to confirm your priors. Tills and Conry are very good friends (as he is with Kevin Warne). Conry doesn't get that job without Tills. I have no idea why he didn't hug him the way Jake and Jesse did. Maybe he did later. But to act like this shows some character flaw is laughable. I guess the same people who were OUTRAGED!!! after the gloves and swore they'd never root for Tills again (yeah, check the post on this thread), they'll be similarly OUTRAGED!!! about how they think Tills should have hugged Conry.

The internet needs outrage, though, so have at it. We'll know this has really jumped the shark when the ESPN Bobbleheads take up the cause. Maybe Quint can talk about gentlemanly conduct again as he's trolling for more outrage.
Yep. Coach Myers is probably married and probably kicks puppies, but that's not robotic.
LaxPundit07

Post by LaxPundit07 »

keno in reno wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 7:39 pm

Yep. Coach Myers is probably married and probably kicks puppies, but that's not robotic.
Well now you are just being ridiculous!

https://youtu.be/p0NcGrGIYvU
Wheels

Post by Wheels »

[/quote]

In last week's "Terry's Top 20" post on IL, Terry had softened his initial take on the glove thing. I took that as Terry finally actually talked to people involved in the situation. Part of it is Tills and his staff never talk about it publicly. They rarely talk about things off-record, either. Tills never wants to provide poster board material for opponents. But all of that stuff did happen at the OSU game. I've also heard that Myers apologized to his team for losing his cool and throwing a temper tantrum, that his reaction led them to losing their focus.
Gatsby

Post by Gatsby »

LaxPundit07 wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 7:13 pm I intended exactly what I said. He struts around with an iPad and notebook on the sidelines and brought the game to a screeching halt for years with his stall ball. I am sorry, but he just presents as robotic to me. And to see him blow off former assistant yesterday was weird. Was the response overblown? Probably. But it was still weird. Ran into an acquaintance today who asked if I had been watching tournament championships this weekend. His next comment was “how about that Tillman Conry handshake? Cold!” People noticed.
Oh I noticed, even before it became a deal on Twiiter and Fanlax.
Wheels wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 7:35 pm
MoralTerpitude wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 7:26 pm With all this focus on whether Coach Tills is a saint or an iPad-wielding sociopath, the way OSU received the Terps before their game is not being discussed (and once again kudos to Wheels on sharing these tidbits).

Speaking of "John Tillman's iPad" (as if no other team does this...including the 10 OSU student managers on the sidelines with iPads affixed to their hands with what looked like an Aquaman contraption), here's another interesting thing about OSU's stadium. Maryland was told that their iPads could connect to the monitors in the locker rooms, but they couldn't. The locker rooms didn't have whiteboards, either, so the staff apparently was using paper pads and pens to draw things up to hold up in front of the position groups. Mental note to the Maryland staff next year (believe OSU hosts the B1G next year), bring those U12-style coaching boards with dry erase pens!
I heard Tillman was running ChatGPT on his iPad to call plays and that's how they won the 2022 title with super random A.I.-generated plays. Myers hid the wifi password in an attempt to disable the A.I. :robot:
MoralTerpitude

Post by MoralTerpitude »

Latest reports are that Tillman is AI-generated.
masondixonlax

Post by masondixonlax »

Don’t want to take anyone for granted, especially after yesterdays performance, but Maryland has more favorable path to final 4 than last year
MoralTerpitude

Post by MoralTerpitude »

masondixonlax wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 10:03 pm Don’t want to take anyone for granted, especially after yesterdays performance, but Maryland has more favorable path to final 4 than last year
Army will be a tough out; I think the Terps will have a really tough time scoring on Army, and the Knights have some guys that can bomb from deep, which could give the Terps problems.

On the plus side the Terps have already beaten the potential QF opponents. That Penn State-Princeton game is going to be one heck of a match-up.
masondixonlax

Post by masondixonlax »

Game I’m most interested in is Michigan Cornell game. Michigan is peaking at the right time
keno in reno

Post by keno in reno »

MoralTerpitude wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 10:07 pm
masondixonlax wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 10:03 pm Don’t want to take anyone for granted, especially after yesterdays performance, but Maryland has more favorable path to final 4 than last year
Army will be a tough out; I think the Terps will have a really tough time scoring on Army, and the Knights have some guys that can bomb from deep, which could give the Terps problems.

On the plus side the Terps have already beaten the potential QF opponents. That Penn State-Princeton game is going to be one heck of a match-up.
All gravy from here. This team overachieved significantly to get a #4 seed. It would be frustrating to see them lose in round 1, but this team feels like 2013 that got obliterated by Cornell at home. Looks like Army has a great FOGO too.
MoralTerpitude

Post by MoralTerpitude »

keno in reno wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 10:17 pm
MoralTerpitude wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 10:07 pm

All gravy from here. This team overachieved significantly to get a #4 seed. It would be frustrating to see them lose in round 1, but this team feels like 2013 that got obliterated by Cornell at home. Looks like Army has a great FOGO too.
It will be close, but I think the Terps can pull it out. They are probably pissed as hell about the Michigan game. Hopefully they get Zap back, and Geppert is at full speed.
HappyHourLax

Post by HappyHourLax »

Tillman gonna have a hard time finding uniform violations…..Army kids are usually pretty well buttoned up 😂 tough match up but I think UMD wins and has a path to the final four as Penn St and Princeton don’t match up well with the Terps.
MoralTerpitude

Post by MoralTerpitude »

HappyHourLax wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 10:36 pm Tillman gonna have a hard time finding uniform violations…..Army kids are usually pretty well buttoned up 😂 tough match up but I think UMD wins and has a path to the final four as Penn St and Princeton don’t match up well with the Terps.
Ha… that is funny. Stick and glove checks will not be effective against Army.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”