D1 Mens Lacrosse
faircornell

Re: Cornell 2023

Post by faircornell »

Cornell #8 seed to host Michigan.
laxfan1313

Post by laxfan1313 »

faircornell wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 9:38 pm Cornell #8 seed to host Michigan.
I'll take it. You have to beat the team in front of you to advance. After Michigan it would be Duke - no pushover for sure! I think the quarterfinal game would be in Albany. GBR!
Lager

Post by Lager »

Bring on the blue!
joewillie78

Post by joewillie78 »

faircornell wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 9:38 pm Cornell #8 seed to host Michigan.
Awesome. Last year after losing in the ILT, they also started with a BIG, OSU, and now this year start with a red hot Michigan team.
Hopefully, the script from last year is followed.
Can't wait to see Michigan come visiting the Kopf.
Gobigred
Joewillie78
semsox

Post by semsox »

Hard to keep playing your best lacrosse multiple weeks in a row (as Michigan has presently). I like our chances
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

Good matchup
that is Cornell should match up well against this team.
faircornell

Post by faircornell »

Cornell has played Michigan in lacrosse once. In 2014, Cornell beat U Michigan 15-14 in OT in Ann Arbor.

The last time that I can find a Michigan team visiting Schoellkopf Field was in 1951. The Big Red beat the Wolverines in football 20-7 on November 10, 1951.
laxfan1313

Post by laxfan1313 »

VeryRustyRed

Post by VeryRustyRed »

The coaches "MO" all season has been to hold off on using Petrakis, at least until the 2nd half when he's had early violations. That was the case on Friday. That's why they went with Psyllos when Cascadden needed rest. It's a function of Petrakis' technique - he's far more susceptible to violation as he's not really a possession guy and is looking to get an edge on the clamp. Getting the 2 early 1st quarter violations really hurt, as 20 and 3 could not be as aggressive as usual for much of the 1st and the enture 2nd quarter.
What I was surprised at was how long Coach B or Coach C waited in the 2nd half to use him. Petrakis spent most of the 2nd half all the way on the left of the Cornell bench, opposite from the sub box.

The FO game will be SO VERY important against UM. They have a great "2 headed" FO combo." These 2 ran Wehrman into the ground twice against Maryland. I never saw that before. 20, 28, and 3 will really have their work cut out for them. How they perform, will be crucual. UM's O can light it up.
Regardless, if they boys play well, I like our chances. UM has been on a roll - perhaps ready for a flat outing. They are, however, talented on both ends of the field. The Big Red needs to bring their A game.
Chousnake

Post by Chousnake »

faircornell wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 10:13 pm Cornell has played Michigan in lacrosse once. In 2014, Cornell beat U Michigan 15-14 in OT in Ann Arbor.

The last time that I can find a Michigan team visiting Schoellkopf Field was in 1951. The Big Red beat the Wolverines in football 20-7 on November 10, 1951.
Wasn't that game indoors?
Chousnake

Post by Chousnake »

VeryRustyRed wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 10:22 pm The coaches "MO" all season has been to hold off on using Petrakis, at least until the 2nd half when he's had early violations. That was the case on Friday. That's why they went with Psyllos when Cascadden needed rest. It's a function of Petrakis' technique - he's far more susceptible to violation as he's not really a possession guy and is looking to get an edge on the clamp. Getting the 2 early 1st quarter violations really hurt, as 20 and 3 could not be as aggressive as usual for much of the 1st and the enture 2nd quarter.
What I was surprised at was how long Coach B or Coach C waited in the 2nd half to use him. Petrakis spent most of the 2nd half all the way on the left of the Cornell bench, opposite from the sub box.

The FO game will be SO VERY important against UM. They have a great "2 headed" FO combo." These 2 ran Wehrman into the ground twice against Maryland. I never saw that before. 20, 28, and 3 will really have their work cut out for them. How they perform, will be crucual. UM's O can light it up.
Regardless, if they boys play well, I like our chances. UM has been on a roll - perhaps ready for a flat outing. They are, however, talented on both ends of the field. The Big Red needs to bring their A game.
Great analysis as always VRR. Face offs will be key. Let's hope we don't get a repeat of Friday with a hyper-technical referee and a parade of early violations. Cornell has neutralized many strong face off units this season.Let's hope they get the chance to compete on Sunday. Let's also hope Cornell got the bad game out of its system .
The Orfling

Post by The Orfling »

Glad the Big Red got the seed and home game — well deserved based on body of work. Good luck! Michigan is coming in hot but I think Cornell matches up well.
CU77

Post by CU77 »

Chousnake wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 10:25 pm
faircornell wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 10:13 pm In 2014, Cornell beat U Michigan 15-14 in OT in Ann Arbor.
Yes! I remember it.
ANN ARBOR, Mich., March 1, 2014 – Matt Donovan came around the cage and buried his fifth goal of the game with 1:41 remaining in the overtime period to lift the No. 16 Big Red men's lacrosse team to a 15-14 victory over Michigan this afternoon in Oosterbaan Field House in Ann Arbor, Mich.
Donovan finished with five goals to lead the Big Red, while Connor Buczek registered four points on two goals and two assists.
https://cornellbigred.com/news/2014/3/1 ... 42802.aspx
MoralTerpitude

Post by MoralTerpitude »

As long as Cascadden and co can keep it close at the dot, I actually think Cornell has a really good shot in this game.

Kirst is the exact prototype of an offensive player that Michigan struggles with. Who was the one offensive player on Maryland that did well against Michigan? 6’ 5” Eric Spanos, a beast of a midfielder. He had perhaps his best game of the season, and scored a hat trick in the first half. Maryland doesn’t really have any other big attackers.

Who else has done well against Michigan? Try Melendez and Degnon for JHU, who combined for 9 goals and 3 assists on 20 shots in their regular season match-up. Melendez is a physical 6’ 1” 200 pounder, and Degnon is 6’ 4” 210. Rutgers’ Brian Cameron, another big attackman, score 4 goals on Michigan.

We know Kirst will come to play. If Kelleher can be dangerous running out of the box, Michigan is going to have alot of trouble stopping Cornell’s offense.
another fan

Post by another fan »

Chousnake wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 10:27 pm
VeryRustyRed wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 10:22 pm The coaches "MO" all season has been to hold off on using Petrakis, at least until the 2nd half when he's had early violations. That was the case on Friday. That's why they went with Psyllos when Cascadden needed rest. It's a function of Petrakis' technique - he's far more susceptible to violation as he's not really a possession guy and is looking to get an edge on the clamp. Getting the 2 early 1st quarter violations really hurt, as 20 and 3 could not be as aggressive as usual for much of the 1st and the enture 2nd quarter.

Great analysis as always VRR. Face offs will be key. Let's hope we don't get a repeat of Friday with a hyper-technical referee and a parade of early violations. Cornell has neutralized many strong face off units this season.Let's hope they get the chance to compete on Sunday. Let's also hope Cornell got the bad game out of its system .
I still think you are not giving enough credit to the prior history between Ramsey and Petrakis. In 2022, Ramsey won 21 of 28. I’m not sure Petrakis won more than 1 drawer with the remaining losses being procedure or to Psyllos
faircornell

Post by faircornell »

Chousnake wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 10:25 pm
faircornell wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 10:13 pm Cornell has played Michigan in lacrosse once. In 2014, Cornell beat U Michigan 15-14 in OT in Ann Arbor.

Now that you mention it, I think that it was. Thanks!
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

10stone5 wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 10:07 pm Good matchup
I’m not sure any team matches up well with Michigan right now.

The Wolverines crushed the Terps yesterday. Their defense has become really aggressive.

If Michigan has a weakness, I think they are still turning the ball over too much, especially when they try to force the ball inside.

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister
molo

Post by molo »

Good point. The TOs kept the score under 20 against Maryland, but it’s hard not to get a little sloppy in such a one-sided game. Wolverines remind me of another blue team that is not TOphobic.
laxfan1313

Post by laxfan1313 »

In comparing the Cornell and Michigan stat sheets, I noted the following: (1) Michigan is more dominant in faceoffs, 60.8% vs. 49.8 %.  (2) However, Cornell is more dominant in ground balls, 37.2/game vs 31.9/game. (3) Cornell also causes more turnovers, 9.5/game vs. 5.8/game. (4) the teams are about the same in turnovers made, 15.7/game for Cornell vs. 14.8 for Michigan.  So while Michigan is better at the X, Cornell is better off the ground.  To prevail, Cornell needs to lower Michigan's faceoff % to closer to 50% and maintain its ground ball dominance.  Jack and Angelo need to keep the ball in play at the X until the wings arrive. That is where Marc Psyllos does his best work scrapping for ground balls.  The Boiardi stats are what can win this game for the Big Red.  Coach Richie Moran only kept one stat: ground balls.  That is where Cornell can dominate by causing turnovers, winning the ground ball battle and turning those ground balls into goals.   This will be a great game.  GO BIG RED!
blue angels

Post by blue angels »

DocBarrister wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 11:51 pm
10stone5 wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 10:07 pm Good matchup
I’m not sure any team matches up well with Michigan right now.

The Wolverines crushed the Terps yesterday. Their defense has become really aggressive.

If Michigan has a weakness, I think they are still turning the ball over too much, especially when they try to force the ball inside.

DocBarrister
Per your match up comment, if the Terps were without Zapitello and Geppart, that isn't the same Terp team as earlier in the year. If they arent available next weekend, their opponent has been granted an unbelievable break but still might not win. Cornell has a great opportunity, if they win next 2, to advance the case of Kirst or Adler for the Teewarton. if they get past Duke, that would be head to head with O'Neill. If they don't, forget any further discussion of that. Furthermore, everyone will be calling them and the IVY overrated.
Last edited by blue angels on Mon May 08, 2023 8:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”