Maryland 2023

D1 Mens Lacrosse
jrn19

Re: Maryland 2023

Post by jrn19 »

Y’all are out here trying to hold military tribunals for this dude. It’s unbelievable. It’s freaking lacrosse bro lmao
LaxPundit07

Post by LaxPundit07 »

The handshake was weird. Tills is easy to dislike both personally and professionally. Combine those two things and it gets overblown.
Gatsby

Post by Gatsby »

tech37 wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 2:51 pm
Gatsby wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 12:26 pm Tillman has always struck me as a classy coach. Even his occasional running up the score when they're up big can perhaps be explained by cautiousness against comebacks... although 22-7 and 24-6 don't resound of sportsmanship.

The two incidents this season -- GloveGate and HugSnub -- have challenged that impression and don't seem in line with his previous character.
Maybe, as someone astutely posted earlier, it's easy to appear classy/gracious when winning.
Laxxal22 wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 4:30 pm Everybody has someone in their friends or family who's too competitive to play board games with. JT is probably that guy, which serves him brilliantly for most of his job and for the Maryland program. He's just had moments where's poked through at unfortunate times this season. I'm sure everyone involved in yesterday's postgame has already moved on to prepping for the postseason.
There could be some truth to these theories. His actions this season that have drawn criticism could reflect an overly competitive nature, which is a contrast to his otherwise calm demeanor.
jrn19 wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 3:42 pm
Gatsby wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 12:26 pm Tillman has always struck me as a classy coach. Even his occasional running up the score when they're up big can perhaps be explained by cautiousness against comebacks... although 22-7 and 24-6 don't resound of sportsmanship.

The two incidents this season -- GloveGate and HugSnub -- have challenged that impression and don't seem in line with his previous character.
I’m sorry are we playing under-8 youth lacrosse are here? It’s division 1. If you don’t want the other team to score 22 goals, save the dang ball.
It's perfectly within the D1 and youth rules to demolish your opponent and to continue to try to score on them when you're up big, just like it's perfectly within the rules to call the refs' attention to mismatched glove colors, and there are no rules on being brusque in the handshake line. He can do all that and the public can comment on it. Some coaches spend all game screaming at the refs too, which isn't admirable but tolerated. I've seen comments about overzealous celebrations, like after Kavanagh's winning goal against the Terps. That's also allowed but can shape opinions.
keno in reno

Post by keno in reno »

We got the Reddit tin foil hat conspiracy theorists in full force. All hail Quint!
MoralTerpitude

Post by MoralTerpitude »

LaxPundit07 wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 5:38 pm The handshake was weird. Tills is easy to dislike both personally and professionally. Combine those two things and it gets overblown.
He's easy to dislike personally? He always struck me as a pretty personable, high-integrity guy.
LaxPundit07

Post by LaxPundit07 »

The iPad. The (almost) single-handedly causing the need for the shot clock. The robotic unmarried personality.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

keno in reno wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 6:26 pm We got the Reddit tin foil hat conspiracy theorists in full force. All hail Quint!
Anyone recall exactly what Quint said in one of the B1G games this weekend. Something like “no one roots for Maryland, except Maryland fans” Tell us how you really feel Quint. 😂
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
keno in reno

Post by keno in reno »

LaxPundit07 wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 6:34 pm The iPad. The (almost) single-handedly causing the need for the shot clock. The robotic unmarried personality.
Yes the IPad! You must not know who Bill Tierney is. If you care about a coach's married life, you have a very cool life yourself.
keno in reno

Post by keno in reno »

youthathletics wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 6:44 pm
keno in reno wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 6:26 pm We got the Reddit tin foil hat conspiracy theorists in full force. All hail Quint!
Anyone recall exactly what Quint said in one of the B1G games this weekend. Something like “no one roots for Maryland, except Maryland fans” Tell us how you really feel Quint. 😂
You got it right. Even Mark Dixon is showing some Tills Derangement Syndrome..."do we have another glovegate going on here?" during a normal ref stoppage in the hopkins game Thursday. And Dixon has been really good.
LaxPundit07

Post by LaxPundit07 »

keno in reno wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 6:44 pm
LaxPundit07 wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 6:34 pm The iPad. The (almost) single-handedly causing the need for the shot clock. The robotic unmarried personality.
Yes the IPad! You must not know who Bill Tierney is. If you care about a coach's married life, you have a very cool life yourself.
Caring about his married life is a stretch. I merely said it adds to the robot persona. I don’t care at all if he is straight, gay, married, single. Just saying as it relates to this discussion, it checks another box in the robot persona.
keno in reno

Post by keno in reno »

So is divorced better? Cheating on the wife? Maybe only on Vegas trips? Church-goer with 12 kids? What's acceptable for you, arbiter or normalcy?
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

These posts have gone south.
LaxPundit07

Post by LaxPundit07 »

Respectfully, you are taking this somewhere I didn’t intend. So I am going to bow out of the conversation. Again, it is merely a piece of the puzzle in the robot persona. That’s all I meant. The same way the broadcasters called Conry a “girl dad” after the game yesterday or the same way the White House sells our current president as a family man because of his wife and numerous children and grandchildren. Again, don’t take this to an unnecessary place. It was a pretty innocuous comment.
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

This has what to do with him personally? You have a personal relationship with the man?
masondixonlax

Post by masondixonlax »

Can 9pm get her already so we can be spared of lax pundits dumb takes and talk about the games
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

LaxPundit07 wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 7:03 pm Respectfully, you are taking this somewhere I didn’t intend. So I am going to bow out of the conversation. Again, it is merely a piece of the puzzle in the robot persona. That’s all I meant. The same way the broadcasters called Conry a “girl dad” after the game yesterday or the same way the White House sells our current president as a family man because of his wife and numerous children and grandchildren. Again, don’t take this to an unnecessary place. It was a pretty innocuous comment.
I'm gonna say a man who I don't know is "personally unlikable" and then complain that people are taking my comments somewhere I didn't intend. What the heck did you intend then? Perhaps you shouldn't comment on the personalities of people you don't know!
LaxPundit07

Post by LaxPundit07 »

I intended exactly what I said. He struts around with an iPad and notebook on the sidelines and brought the game to a screeching halt for years with his stall ball. I am sorry, but he just presents as robotic to me. And to see him blow off former assistant yesterday was weird. Was the response overblown? Probably. But it was still weird. Ran into an acquaintance today who asked if I had been watching tournament championships this weekend. His next comment was “how about that Tillman Conry handshake? Cold!” People noticed.
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

So you intended exactly what you said and yet 3 posts up you complain that people took it where you didn't intend. Okay.
random observer

Post by random observer »

jrn19 wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 7:14 pm So you intended exactly what you said and yet 3 posts up you complain that people took it where you didn't intend. Okay.
He intended exactly what he said. He did not intend what you said he said. Those are not contradictory opinions.
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

random observer wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 7:17 pm
jrn19 wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 7:14 pm So you intended exactly what you said and yet 3 posts up you complain that people took it where you didn't intend. Okay.
He intended exactly what he said. He did not intend what you said he said. Those are not contradictory opinions.
I never said he said anything. Complaining that people think it's weird for you to pass opinions on the marital status of a lacrosse coach is definitely something though. Same with claiming that someone you do not know and do not have any sort of relationship with is personally unlikable. It makes you come off kinda weird!

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”