Loyola Greyhounds 2023

D1 Mens Lacrosse
Exlaxbro

Re: Loyola Greyhounds 2023

Post by Exlaxbro »

GreyingHound wrote: Sat May 06, 2023 10:40 am
Exlaxbro wrote: Sat May 06, 2023 10:16 am
houndace1 wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 7:04 pm
gymman1031 wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 6:59 pm Anyone smelling Lehigh beating Army tonight?
First off, who the hell do we want to win this game?? Which of the two does loyola have likeable chance to win
Is it weird to feel better about playing Army over Lehigh? I think Loyola has more of a chance at the dot against Army.
Agree. Especially since it looked like Coletti got injured against Lehigh.
Exactly. Now losing Rezanka will hurt Loyola but they seem to have capable backups. It should be another fun one to watch.
houndace1

Post by houndace1 »

The PL title game is in about 12 hours and this is easily the most nervous I’ve been for a hounds game. So I figured I type up some of my own game thoughts on how loyola could succeed

- the game starts and ends with Luke staudt, Eric Pacheco and the combo of poitras/James. Groundballs gets extra possessions, Extra possessions means more chances to shoot. Eric and tandem NEED to be dialed in and fight for every loose ground ball. Army is one to not make many mistakes and every chance their offense has makes me drop a pit in my stomach.
- We’re gonna need another magical game from Luke, he is the shield, he’s the wall against the army cannons
- Army’s defensive mantra is DO NOT SLIDE .. so loyola is going to HAVE to make them slide. Hard dodges, use picks, speed dodge, every single maneuver/trick/dodge the guys know in their bag can be utilized.
- Obviously a 7-1 goal run for loyola might not happen ever again, so it’s important to steady the ship, keep the tide and pick eachother up if army does go on a small spurt.
- Communication and chemistry is key! Sell out, talk, fight for the guy next to you on the field and on the bench.

The boys CAN do this, the path to the tourney is one 60 minute game. That’s all the time left that they’ve earned together for the 2023 season. Cherish and maximize every second, every minute, every quarter. If they do that, they can earn 7 more days together and another 60 minute game
Loyola '18
A.M.D.G
laxbro11

Post by laxbro11 »

houndace1 wrote: Sat May 06, 2023 10:25 pm The PL title game is in about 12 hours and this is easily the most nervous I’ve been for a hounds game. So I figured I type up some of my own game thoughts on how loyola could succeed

- the game starts and ends with Luke staudt, Eric Pacheco and the combo of poitras/James. Groundballs gets extra possessions, Extra possessions means more chances to shoot. Eric and tandem NEED to be dialed in and fight for every loose ground ball. Army is one to not make many mistakes and every chance their offense has makes me drop a pit in my stomach.
- We’re gonna need another magical game from Luke, he is the shield, he’s the wall against the army cannons
- Army’s defensive mantra is DO NOT SLIDE .. so loyola is going to HAVE to make them slide. Hard dodges, use picks, speed dodge, every single maneuver/trick/dodge the guys know in their bag can be utilized.
- Obviously a 7-1 goal run for loyola might not happen ever again, so it’s important to steady the ship, keep the tide and pick eachother up if army does go on a small spurt.
- Communication and chemistry is key! Sell out, talk, fight for the guy next to you on the field and on the bench.

The boys CAN do this, the path to the tourney is one 60 minute game. That’s all the time left that they’ve earned together for the 2023 season. Cherish and maximize every second, every minute, every quarter. If they do that, they can earn 7 more days together and another 60 minute game
Agree 100% Offenively need to come out fast Also need to be at least 50/50 at the face off x No one thought they would be here nothing to lose
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

15 minutes to fun...
Caddy Day
Caddies Welcome 1-1:15
GreyingHound

Post by GreyingHound »

Both goalies are dialed in. Staudt has been amazing.

Encouraging that we got production from the 2nd middie line.
Houndfan73

Post by Houndfan73 »

Can’t win faceoffs. All year long. Colossal failure of the coaching staff. Adversely effects everything else. Defense gets gassed and mistakes increase. Offense is forced to play tight and worried about keeping up instead of playing free and loose. Offense has to be perfect….make the perfect play
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Loyola’s D is smoked.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
sinman6

Post by sinman6 »

This officiating is absolutely terrible. Who did Loyola pay?
houndace1

Post by houndace1 »

Before we dissect things that happened today,

The seniors and the grad students especially deserve a thank you for their efforts of not only today, but from their years on campus. They, and the team fought tooth and nail to get possessions and to stop army.

A commendable effort and a PL tourney run.

2024 is going to feature new faces on the defensive end, but I think hounds have a positive outlook for the new year.

You shore up a couple things, and this team can be back.

Also, kudos to army for their incredible game today, they retooled the offensive and defensive philosophy and will be a tough out for years to come
Loyola '18
A.M.D.G
GreyingHound

Post by GreyingHound »

sinman6 wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 2:09 pm This officiating is absolutely terrible. Who did Loyola pay?
You're kidding, right? Not a single penalty called on Army in the entire game. If Loyola paid off the refs, they should ask for a refund.
houndace1

Post by houndace1 »

Offensive wise, if the core seniors come back as grad students, I think they’ll be decent with another maturation year of fall ball and practice. Minicus unfortunately had an off day, he’ll bounce back and have a good sophomore year.

Defensively, they lose Wyers, hughes, Middleton, and razanka. Those are big big names to lose on the defense so staudt and company will have to step up and perform.

FO- this has to improve 200%. Losing 18/22 gets the defense gassed, it’s so hard to get momentum if the team can’t get a win
Loyola '18
A.M.D.G
Formerhound

Post by Formerhound »

Not the season we hoped for but the boys worked hard and fought till the end. Most of the team returning next year. Need Sawyer to take the next step at FOGO. Need Binney, Heuston and whomever to continue to develop. Was amazed at how Minicus, Kamish and Lindsay did nothing today. Higgins finally scored but also turned ball over a bunch. Thing about Binney. He played great for awhile and then took 3 or 4 stupid one-handed or no back up shots. He needs to play the way he did in first three periods. If he does he can take Higgins spot as the lefty mid on 1st line. Heuston is a beast and can beat guys off the dodge. I think he’s much more dangerous that Kamish who doesn’t seem to be able to get his hands free.

Looking forward to next year. Some really good freshmen and sophomores. Need Houlihan and McGorry to get healthy and develop. Need Haberman and Murphy do play like they did early in the season. Need Cote and other freshmen to take the next step.
houndace1

Post by houndace1 »

Formerhound wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 2:26 pm Not the season we hoped for but the boys worked hard and fought till the end. Most of the team returning next year. Need Sawyer to take the next step at FOGO. Need Binney, Heuston and whomever to continue to develop. Was amazed at how Minicus, Kamish and Lindsay did nothing today. Higgins finally scored but also turned ball over a bunch. Thing about Binney. He played great for awhile and then took 3 or 4 stupid one-handed or no back up shots. He needs to play the way he did in first three periods. If he does he can take Higgins spot as the lefty mid on 1st line. Heuston is a beast and can beat guys off the dodge. I think he’s much more dangerous that Kamish who doesn’t seem to be able to get his hands free.

Looking forward to next year. Some really good freshmen and sophomores. Need Houlihan and McGorry to get healthy and develop. Need Haberman and Murphy do play like they did early in the season. Need Cote and other freshmen to take the next step.
The keys to the offense itself as a whole next year is going to be given to minicus who is now behind the goal for most of of the possessions.

Kamish had quick feet his first two years and had a split dodge that can toast his defender when he had good legs. He’s lost the burst but has good hands to feed for passes. Put him at the top of the formation for skip passes.

Higgins I believe was nicked up for most of the year. He’s the wildcard to me, there is so much potential for his size and strength to be incorporated into his game.

Heuston when healthy can rip on the run and also off the catch.

The goalie room is fine but they need Carson hall whose coming in this year, Pacheco, cottone and Allen (if they return) to battle and improve in their FO group.
Loyola '18
A.M.D.G
Exlaxbro

Post by Exlaxbro »

Whatever happens I hope they put a full season together. The way things started this year looked like another final four and the way they played in the PL tournament looked good too. Somewhere in the middle the wheels came off.
GreyingHound

Post by GreyingHound »

Really proud of the way the Hounds finished the season. They showed a lot of character the way they faced 3 opponents who had beaten them previously in the span of 6 days, and came away with 2 wins and a respectable showing against one of the best defenses in the country.

Too many players to thank, but I do want to call out one in particular who will come as a surprise, especially if you only watched the games this season on TV/online. Ryan McGorry missed the entire season with injury, but at every single game, he was on the sideline going nuts firing up the team, encouraging his teammates, and cheering like a madman. I just love his selflessness and sportsmanship, and can't wait to see him on the field next year.

PL runner-up is nothing to be ashamed of. Go Hounds!
Formerhound

Post by Formerhound »

GreyingHound wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 2:43 pm Really proud of the way the Hounds finished the season. They showed a lot of character the way they faced 3 opponents who had beaten them previously in the span of 6 days, and came away with 2 wins and a respectable showing against one of the best defenses in the country.

Too many players to thank, but I do want to call out one in particular who will come as a surprise, especially if you only watched the games this season on TV/online. Ryan McGorry missed the entire season with injury, but at every single game, he was on the sideline going nuts firing up the team, encouraging his teammates, and cheering like a madman. I just love his selflessness and sportsmanship, and can't wait to see him on the field next year.

I noticed the same thing. I remember when he was recruited. Very high hopes. Top 100 recruit and showed some good stuff when he got the chance last year. Love his enthusiasm. Hope his knee injury heals up as I’d love to see him get real fame time next year. He has a rocket shot.
houndace1

Post by houndace1 »

GreyingHound wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 2:43 pm Really proud of the way the Hounds finished the season. They showed a lot of character the way they faced 3 opponents who had beaten them previously in the span of 6 days, and came away with 2 wins and a respectable showing against one of the best defenses in the country.

There’s a couple clear shots of him during the army game, and throughout PL games where he supports every guy on the bench and who comes back on the field. It’s an incredible sight to see of leadership and shows how much he cares even when he’s not playing.

Additionally, the loyola AD tweeted this after the game.

“ Fought until the final whistle, as always with @LoyolaMLAX. Appreciate this group of student-athletes and coaches. As one athlete told me as he walked off the field today, “we’ll be back”. No doubt about that.”
Loyola '18
A.M.D.G
houndace1

Post by houndace1 »

Mcgorry, Hugh brown and Jacob Sullivan all coming back from injury should help bolster the midfield a bit. Lineup changes and discussions always welcome!

Heuston lindsay and higgins are the 1st line after this season. Once higgins recovers from his nagging injuries I really hope and think he will consistently produce. The team is not only going to need outside shooters not named Joey kamish, but they’re going to need speed. Ryan mcgorry and Brown have the shoot strength and speed, while Sullivan has slippery moves.

2nd line- Murphy? Cote? Binney earned more PT after today
Loyola '18
A.M.D.G
Formerhound

Post by Formerhound »

houndace1 wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 4:11 pm Mcgorry, Hugh brown and Jacob Sullivan all coming back from injury should help bolster the midfield a bit. Lineup changes and discussions always welcome!

Heuston lindsay and higgins are the 1st line after this season. Once higgins recovers from his nagging injuries I really hope and think he will consistently produce. The team is not only going to need outside shooters not named Joey kamish, but they’re going to need speed. Ryan mcgorry and Brown have the shoot strength and speed, while Sullivan has slippery moves.

I think Murphy regressed big time this year. Cote played very little. I see Binney, Kamish and McGorry as second line middies. I see Haberman and McCullough backing up the attack group. Haberman could challenge for second line middie but he also regressed this year. It’s a long season and these freshmen who looked so good early really did nothing as season progressed. Even Minicus looked spent the last few games. It’s not a sprint. Hopefully Brown and Sullivan come back. Brown had bad back I heard and Sullivan was ACL. McGorry practiced fully at season end so he should be healthy.

Need to figure out FOGO as well as DMid and close. Bean, Fairy, Houlihan and Roman should be solid on D. Wasn’t impressed with Erickson as a d-mid. Too many turnovers. Thought Callahan played well when he got the chance but he is small. Sally and Sherwood along with McGillicudy will all be back.

If we can get good FOGO play next year team will be fine.
houndace1

Post by houndace1 »

Formerhound wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 4:37 pm
houndace1 wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 4:11 pm Mcgorry, Hugh brown and Jacob Sullivan all coming back from injury should help bolster the midfield a bit. Lineup changes and discussions always welcome!

I think Murphy regressed big time this year. Cote played very little. I see Binney, Kamish and McGorry as second line middies. I see Haberman and McCullough backing up the attack group. Haberman could challenge for second line middie but he also regressed this year. It’s a long season and these freshmen who looked so good early really did nothing as season progressed. Even Minicus looked spent the last few games. It’s not a sprint. Hopefully Brown and Sullivan come back. Brown had bad back I heard and Sullivan was ACL. McGorry practiced fully at season end so he should be healthy.

Need to figure out FOGO as well as DMid and close. Bean, Fairy, Houlihan and Roman should be solid on D. Wasn’t impressed with Erickson as a d-mid. Too many turnovers. Thought Callahan played well when he got the chance but he is small. Sally and Sherwood along with McGillicudy will all be back.

If we can get good FOGO play next year team will be fine.
So 3 seniors are coming back, who else? I’d have to think that poitras James and kamish are all back to get one last chance at a PL title right?

I was only going off of freshman this year given how they played. Sometimes freshman players hit a wall in this grueling sport. I expect the staff to fully evaluate who they have in their exit meetings and challenge the guys to get better. They have the makings of a good team, they just need to shore up some positions that are in need right now.
Loyola '18
A.M.D.G

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”