Maryland 2023

D1 Mens Lacrosse
masondixonlax

Re: Maryland 2023

Post by masondixonlax »

And out from the woodworks come the sheep…
Finster

Post by Finster »

Njlaxx11 wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 10:11 am first the glove thing, now the handshake snub - tillman's a b!tch. take getting thumped like a man. you have a professional relationship with the other coach, act like a man.

The internet net-net has had a really bad impact on social interaction.

njlaxx has absolutely zero idea what if anything went into the coaches handshake routine yesterday. I can’t even tell from the video if it was an intentional snub. And I assume njlaxx doesn’t know either coach personally.

Yet, he comments here with the cool confidence of an all-knowing analysis. I really don’t get this. I hope I never do the same. I try to give people an out if I’ve seen them do something that raises my hair. A week ago I saw ND’s attack play with little urgency; that sucked, but I also know I don’t know what’s going on, and offered that maybe they had food poisoning.

It’s rare that people are truly arse-holes. It’s common that something can explain their action.

I know Tillman. He’s as good a dude as you’ll come across in life, let alone lacrosse. I’m not gonna call him and ask what happened, if anything happened. I’d also not volunteer on social media that anyone is an arse unless I had personal experience seeing that upfront.

I really don’t get social media; the confidence it gives people to give uneducated opinions on those they don’t know is depressing.
masondixonlax

Post by masondixonlax »

It comes with the territory when a program has been around the top of the sport for 10+ years. It’s the same in any other sport, people will look for reasons to tear down - helps them feel good.
Bmk2222

Post by Bmk2222 »

Years back I suppose we were guilty of this silliness towards Duke basketball……. But with age hate of excellence turns to respect of excellence.
masondixonlax

Post by masondixonlax »

Bmk2222 wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 11:40 am Years back I suppose we were guilty of this silliness towards Duke basketball……. But with age hate of excellence turns to respect of excellence.
+1
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

Bmk2222 wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 11:40 am Years back I suppose we were guilty of this silliness towards Duke basketball……. But with age hate of excellence turns to respect of excellence.
any hate towards k was well earned.
Bmk2222

Post by Bmk2222 »

wgdsr wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 11:49 am
Lol.
MoralTerpitude

Post by MoralTerpitude »

Didn’t Coach K basically ban all Duke sports teams from playing the Terps in scheduled regular season games after they left for the B1G?

I do respect his accomplishments, but that’s pretty petty.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Finster wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 11:20 am
Njlaxx11 wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 10:11 am first the glove thing, now the handshake snub - tillman's a b!tch. take getting thumped like a man. you have a professional relationship with the other coach, act like a man.

The internet net-net has had a really bad impact on social interaction.

njlaxx has absolutely zero idea what if anything went into the coaches handshake routine yesterday. I can’t even tell from the video if it was an intentional snub. And I assume njlaxx doesn’t know either coach personally.

Yet, he comments here with the cool confidence of an all-knowing analysis. I really don’t get this. I hope I never do the same. I try to give people an out if I’ve seen them do something that raises my hair. A week ago I saw ND’s attack play with little urgency; that sucked, but I also know I don’t know what’s going on, and offered that maybe they had food poisoning.

It’s rare that people are truly arse-holes. It’s common that something can explain their action.

I know Tillman. He’s as good a dude as you’ll come across in life, let alone lacrosse. I’m not gonna call him and ask what happened, if anything happened. I’d also not volunteer on social media that anyone is an arse unless I had personal experience seeing that upfront.

I really don’t get social media; the confidence it gives people to give uneducated opinions on those they don’t know is depressing.
I think you're generally right, people usually don't do "arsehole" things if they don't have a reason...but what would the reason be for every other UMD coach in the video clearly congratulating the opposing head coach, a clear handshake and hug, a word or two spoken...yet, Tillman, head coach to head coach, doesn't seem to do more than a very passing shake or fist bump, turning away fast...leaving Conry empty in his obvious intent to hug?

Was Tillman too busy to spend a moment more? Say a few words of congrats?

Or, as you or someone suggested, maybe he's mad at Conry for something else other than the outcome of the game?

Or was he just peeved at losing and didn't want to talk about it? Competitive animals can be that way, right?

I agree with you that claiming with confidence that we know the answer isn't fair. But asking the question is, IMO.

BTW, I think he's run a very impressive program, nearly always achieving excellence.
I don't root for them, but also not against them.
People do get jealous of success, comes with the turf of winning a lot!
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

Bmk2222 wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 11:53 am
wgdsr wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 11:49 am
Lol.
hah !
Gatsby

Post by Gatsby »

Tillman has always struck me as a classy coach. Even his occasional running up the score when they're up big can perhaps be explained by cautiousness against comebacks... although 22-7 and 24-6 don't resound of sportsmanship.

The two incidents this season -- GloveGate and HugSnub -- have challenged that impression and don't seem in line with his previous character.
Wheels

Post by Wheels »

It was one thing when Tillman regularly took the Terps to Memorial Day and lost. Poor John, too conservative. Too cautious. Maybe he'll find the solution in his iPad. Yuck-Yucks all around.

Then he won 2 titles and sent a raft of former assistants to head coaching positions.

Now everyone wants to psychoanalyze him.

Can I put the glove issue to rest here? Because I've confirmed what happened with multiple people who were there.

One, when the Terps showed up to the stadium for their practice, no one from OSU met them (not normal). Two, not only did no one meet them, the locker room was locked (definitely not normal). Three, when the Terps started practicing, someone in the press box started playing highlights of the OSU-MD football game. Which led to, four, members of the OSU lacrosse team sitting in the stands and heckling Dante Trader. I've confirmed this with 4 people who were there.

As for the glove situation, and keep in mind Tills is the chair of the rules committee, he got in the ref's ear after the Kelly goal was disallowed (it was clearly a push from behind and the ball clearly hit the net before he stepped into the crease). He questioned whether the refs even knew the basic rules, like the gloves. The refs actually didn't know that rule (which Shawn Nadelon actually used to get a Hopkins goal wiped off the board a few years ago), and they asked if he wanted a check then. He didn't. More than a quarter later after the Terps tied it, the refs huddled before the face-off. That's when they noted the rule violation. No one asked for it. No one even knew what the refs were huddling about.

As for Conry, you all are really scraping the barrel here looking for reasons to confirm your priors. Tills and Conry are very good friends (as he is with Kevin Warne). Conry doesn't get that job without Tills. I have no idea why he didn't hug him the way Jake and Jesse did. Maybe he did later. But to act like this shows some character flaw is laughable. I guess the same people who were OUTRAGED!!! after the gloves and swore they'd never root for Tills again (yeah, check the post on this thread), they'll be similarly OUTRAGED!!! about how they think Tills should have hugged Conry.

The internet needs outrage, though, so have at it. We'll know this has really jumped the shark when the ESPN Bobbleheads take up the cause. Maybe Quint can talk about gentlemanly conduct again as he's trolling for more outrage.
MoralTerpitude

Post by MoralTerpitude »

Thanks for that post Wheels, and kudos on the due diligence. That type of investigative work seems to be a dying art these days.
tech37

Post by tech37 »

Gatsby wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 12:26 pm Tillman has always struck me as a classy coach. Even his occasional running up the score when they're up big can perhaps be explained by cautiousness against comebacks... although 22-7 and 24-6 don't resound of sportsmanship.

The two incidents this season -- GloveGate and HugSnub -- have challenged that impression and don't seem in line with his previous character.
Maybe, as someone astutely posted earlier, it's easy to appear classy/gracious when winning.
CU77

Post by CU77 »

As a total outsider, I'm with Wheels. The overinterpretation of a few seconds of video is really quite something.

As for glovegate, if you don't like the rules, contact the Rules Committee. Meanwhile, any coach is well within his rights to ask the refs to enforce an existing rule.
Last edited by CU77 on Sun May 07, 2023 3:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
masondixonlax

Post by masondixonlax »

Wheels wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 2:29 pm It was one thing when Tillman regularly took the Terps to Memorial Day and lost. Poor John, too conservative. Too cautious. Maybe he'll find the solution in his iPad. Yuck-Yucks all around.

Then he won 2 titles and sent a raft of former assistants to head coaching positions.

Can I put the glove issue to rest here? Because I've confirmed what happened with multiple people who were there.

One, when the Terps showed up to the stadium for their practice, no one from OSU met them (not normal). Two, not only did no one meet them, the locker room was locked (definitely not normal). Three, when the Terps started practicing, someone in the press box started playing highlights of the OSU-MD football game. Which led to, four, members of the OSU lacrosse team sitting in the stands and heckling Dante Trader. I've confirmed this with 4 people who were there.

As for the glove situation, and keep in mind Tills is the chair of the rules committee, he got in the ref's ear after the Kelly goal was disallowed (it was clearly a push from behind and the ball clearly hit the net before he stepped into the crease). He questioned whether the refs even knew the basic rules, like the gloves. The refs actually didn't know that rule (which Shawn Nadelon actually used to get a Hopkins goal wiped off the board a few years ago), and they asked if he wanted a check then. He didn't. More than a quarter later after the Terps tied it, the refs huddled before the face-off. That's when they noted the rule violation. No one asked for it. No one even knew what the refs were huddling about.

As for Conry, you all are really scraping the barrel here looking for reasons to confirm your priors. Tills and Conry are very good friends (as he is with Kevin Warne). Conry doesn't get that job without Tills. I have no idea why he didn't hug him the way Jake and Jesse did. Maybe he did later. But to act like this shows some character flaw is laughable. I guess the same people who were OUTRAGED!!! after the gloves and swore they'd never root for Tills again (yeah, check the post on this thread), they'll be similarly OUTRAGED!!! about how they think Tills should have hugged Conry.

The internet needs outrage, though, so have at it. We'll know this has really jumped the shark when the ESPN Bobbleheads take up the cause. Maybe Quint can talk about gentlemanly conduct again as he's trolling for more outrage.

Well said Wheels. Despite your explanation, dopes (☝️see above), still want to create some pansy narrative to justify their baseless opinions.
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

Gatsby wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 12:26 pm Tillman has always struck me as a classy coach. Even his occasional running up the score when they're up big can perhaps be explained by cautiousness against comebacks... although 22-7 and 24-6 don't resound of sportsmanship.

I’m sorry are we playing under-8 youth lacrosse are here? It’s division 1. If you don’t want the other team to score 22 goals, save the dang ball.
Finster

Post by Finster »

masondixonlax wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 3:12 pm
Wheels wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 2:29 pm It was one thing when Tillman regularly took the Terps to Memorial Day and lost. Poor John, too conservative. Too cautious. Maybe he'll find the solution in his iPad. Yuck-Yucks all around.

Well said Wheels. Despite your explanation, dopes (☝️see above), still want to create some pansy narrative to justify their baseless opinions.

It’s really something. Depressing to think even the lacrosse community can fall prey to mean girl assumptions and group amnesia.

I gave up listening to other peoples assessment of anyone about five years ago. Most individuals are both more complex and also not naturally prone to being an arse. Your priors, if instinctively negative, will 95% of the time be incorrect. If I was succeeding only 5% if the time, I’d revisit my life trajectory.

Finally, if you’re on social media slamming anyone’s personal character when you don’t even know them, please remind me to ignore your other thoughts as well. Thx.
Laxxal22

Post by Laxxal22 »

Everybody has someone in their friends or family who's too competitive to play board games with. JT is probably that guy, which serves him brilliantly for most of his job and for the Maryland program. He's just had moments where's poked through at unfortunate times this season. I'm sure everyone involved in yesterday's postgame has already moved on to prepping for the postseason.
Wheels

Post by Wheels »

Laxxal22 wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 4:30 pm Everybody has someone in their friends or family who's too competitive to play board games with. JT is probably that guy, which serves him brilliantly for most of his job and for the Maryland program. He's just had moments where's poked through at unfortunate times this season. I'm sure everyone involved in yesterday's postgame has already moved on to prepping for the postseason.
How many national titles has John Tillman lost? And you think a Big Ten title game loss is somehow going to reveal some kind character issue?

If there is anything to read into any of this, it's probably that Tills was pissed at his team more than anything related to handshakes, congratulating Conry, or being "too competitive."

Go back to the 216 title game (which never happened in my mind), and see the video of Tills talking to their Team Impact kid outside of the locker room right after his team lost the title. Comforting a 10 year old kid whose favorite team had just lost. Or watch the 2021 title game loss and see how reacted to Luke Wierman on the sidelines after the game.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”