NJ 2023

Post by DeepPocket »

Philly lacrosse’s All South Jersey team:

https://phillylacrosse.com/2022/all-phi ... team-2022/
MAC - The SEC of DIII lacrosse.
Farfromgeneva

Re: NJ 2023

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Bart has two good FOGOs in the roster now but very excited to see how Seamus Schoefield does. Realize S Jersey is rural and less competitive than parts of Bergen/Morris co areas but the kid had an insane year, really two excellent years.

45g, 46a, 91pts and a 94% FO winning % (228/243). 88% as a Jr.
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
DeepPocket

Post by DeepPocket »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Fri Aug 26, 2022 8:38 am Bart has two good FOGOs in the roster now but very excited to see how Seamus Schoefield does. Realize S Jersey is rural and less competitive than parts of Bergen/Morris co areas but the kid had an insane year, really two excellent years.

You would be surprised. Haddonfield, Moorestown, St Augustine Prep. Lots of good lacrosse being played south of 195.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

DeepPocket wrote: Fri Aug 26, 2022 12:06 pm
Farfromgeneva wrote: Fri Aug 26, 2022 8:38 am Bart has two good FOGOs in the roster now but very excited to see how Seamus Schoefield does. Realize S Jersey is rural and less competitive than parts of Bergen/Morris co areas but the kid had an insane year, really two excellent years.

You would be surprised. Haddonfield, Moorestown, St Augustine Prep. Lots of good lacrosse being played south of 195.
Didn’t mean to disparage and we’ve gotten our share out of that region just avoiding the “those stats mean nothing because it’s not a power region” comment. 94% is 94%.

We’ve got a 23 coming from St Augustine on that list as well named Jack schleicher. I forget but is Gill St Bernards and/or Pennington considered S Jersey as well because two more coming from those schools. Thought Pennington was more west towards Cherry Creek and Philly though.

Number from Jersey next few years in fact, more than usual it seems. Football has hit S Jersey at times hard as well (high level D3 program)
DeepPocket

Post by DeepPocket »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Fri Aug 26, 2022 1:02 pm … just avoiding the “those stats mean nothing because it’s not a power region” comment…
Roger that.

The schools you mentioned fall above the “taylor ham/pork roll divide” of I-195 (the generally agreed upon North Jersey - South Jersey line).
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

DeepPocket wrote: Fri Aug 26, 2022 1:14 pm
Farfromgeneva wrote: Fri Aug 26, 2022 1:02 pm … just avoiding the “those stats mean nothing because it’s not a power region” comment…
Roger that.

The schools you mentioned fall above the “taylor ham/pork roll divide” of I-195 (the generally agreed upon North Jersey - South Jersey line).
Got it thanks on the cutoff description. I lived in NYC for a while earlier in mfid but stayed in general in NJ near the city mostly. Then spent 6-7yrs working with community banks and was all over NJ but driving to and from meetings all over I never learned the state: Cranbury, (whatever town First Bank is in over in Hunterdon Co), Toms River, Jackson, Princeton, Etc. Guess it was still mostly North NJ though the way you describe it.
Njlaxx11

Post by Njlaxx11 »

delran is a different type of south jersey then those teams though. 94% on faceoffs should show you the level of competition they're playing. the best in the world don't go 94%. wish him the best in college though!
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Njlaxx11 wrote: Sat Aug 27, 2022 12:17 pm

delran is a different type of south jersey then those teams though. 94% on faceoffs should show you the level of competition they're playing. the best in the world don't go 94%. wish him the best in college though!
He may be our Zach Cole! Though I like the kids we have from NC and Pennsy right now.
Njlaxx11

Post by Njlaxx11 »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Sat Aug 27, 2022 12:36 pm
Njlaxx11 wrote: Sat Aug 27, 2022 12:17 pm

He may be our Zach Cole! Though I like the kids we have from NC and Pennsy right now.
there's always a chance - he played at Lenape which was always a powerhouse in group 4 south.
AOD

Post by AOD »

Don't mean to rain on your parade, but please exercise caution in your enthusiasm if it is based solely (or largely) on those reported statistics. 70% of the faceoffs he lost in HS ball this year appear to be against one team (Eastern) whose FOGO is more of a hockey player than lacrosse. The reported stats don't balance for every game (see the Camden Catholic game, for example) and the games reported suggest a little home cooking. Hard to believe the wing play of the opponents resulted in no FO wins in a fair amount of games. Finally, the number of quality opponents faced by Delran is limited with perhaps only one or two in common with Zach Cole.

His club numbers the prior summer may be a better indication of what to expect. Wishing him and Hobart the best of luck.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

AOD wrote: Mon Aug 29, 2022 2:44 pm

Don't mean to rain on your parade, but please exercise caution in your enthusiasm if it is based solely (or largely) on those reported statistics. 70% of the faceoffs he lost in HS ball this year appear to be against one team (Eastern) whose FOGO is more of a hockey player than lacrosse. The reported stats don't balance for every game (see the Camden Catholic game, for example) and the games reported suggest a little home cooking. Hard to believe the wing play of the opponents resulted in no FO wins in a fair amount of games. Finally, the number of quality opponents faced by Delran is limited with perhaps only one or two in common with Zach Cole.

His club numbers the prior summer may be a better indication of what to expect. Wishing him and Hobart the best of luck.
I’m not crazy and understand. But the last two elite FOGOs we had also did the same thing, crazy production from smaller lacrosse circles (Matt Pedicine from NJ, believe his HS didn’t even sponsor lacrosse and he was club only & Bobby Datillo who was also built like Schoefield and came out of Pinkerton up in NH, arguable 3 if you include Drew Blanchard from RI) vs getting kids who had IL stars and/or were from top programs and didn’t exactly pan out.

Can see why Schoefield didn’t perform as well against a larger mauler since he’s small, like 5’8” area I believe.
oldbartman

Post by oldbartman »

From what I've been told by a friend whose son is a year behind Schofield, he performed well on the club circuit vs "better" competition. There aren't many Trevor Baptiste's or TD Irelan's that come in as FYs and excel.
Njlaxx11

Post by Njlaxx11 »

the "garden state cup" put out their projected top 10's for each respective groups. thoughts on these?

GROUP A
1. SHP
2. Delby
3. Bosco
4. St. Augustine
5. Pingry
6. St. Joes Montvale
7. Bergen Catholic
8. CBA
9. Pope John
10. Notre Dame

Group B
1. Gill
2. Red Bank Catholic
3. Immaculata
4. Montclair Kimberly
5. Rutgers Prep
6. Princeton Day
7. Morristown Beard
8. Holy Spirit
9. Bishop Eustace
10. St. Rose

Group 4
1. Westfield
2. Ridgewood
3. Bridgewater
4. Hunterdon Central
5. Montclair
6. Ridge
7. Columbia
8. Livingston
9. Howell
10. Southern

Group 3
1. Chatham
2. Randoph
3. Shawnee
4. Scotch Plains
5. Ocean City
6. Morris Knolls
7. Northern Highlands
8. Red Bank Regional
9. Mount Olive
10. Moorestown

Group 2
1. Rumson
2. Manasquan
3. Summit
4. West Essex
5. Wall
6. West Morris Central
7. Somerville
8. Mendham
9. Sparta
10. Allentown

Group 1
1. Lakes
2. Bernards
3. Haddonfield
4. Shore
5. Caldwell
6. Glen Rock
7. Westwood
8. Glen Ridge
9. Delaware Valley
10. Madison
Jd15

Post by Jd15 »

RFH is Group I in 2023.
JoeMauer89

Post by JoeMauer89 »

Seton Hall Prep 4 James Caldwell 3 Final. WOW! Anybody have any insight, crazy result. Did Caldwell play stall ball? Seton Hall Prep is a top 15 team in the country, crazy result. This season never ceases to amaze so far!!

Joe
Njlaxx11

Post by Njlaxx11 »

JoeMauer89 wrote: Sat May 06, 2023 7:35 pm Seton Hall Prep 4 James Caldwell 3 Final. WOW! Anybody have any insight, crazy result. Did Caldwell play stall ball? Seton Hall Prep is a top 15 team in the country, crazy result. This season never ceases to amaze so far!!

Joe
believe caldwell played a zone - that tends to slow down SHP considerably. caldwell is a pretty good team - i guess county final nerves might have gotten to SHP - same with the state tourney.
laxdad1434

Post by laxdad1434 »

Njlaxx11 wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 7:35 am
JoeMauer89 wrote: Sat May 06, 2023 7:35 pm Seton Hall Prep 4 James Caldwell 3 Final. WOW! Anybody have any insight, crazy result. Did Caldwell play stall ball? Seton Hall Prep is a top 15 team in the country, crazy result. This season never ceases to amaze so far!!

Joe
believe caldwell played a zone - that tends to slow down SHP considerably. caldwell is a pretty good team - i guess county final nerves might have gotten to SHP - same with the state tourney.
Caldwell did play zone against SHP and the goalie stood on his head.

Caldwell came close to taking down #6 BWR today, losing 10-8. The game was 5-5 at Halftime. It was another great showing for Caldwell's goalie. Caldwell may play the toughest schedule in the state.
Njlaxx11

Post by Njlaxx11 »

laxdad1434 wrote: Sat May 13, 2023 2:56 pm

Joe

Caldwell came close to taking down #6 BWR today, losing 10-8. The game was 5-5 at Halftime. It was another great showing for Caldwell's goalie. Caldwell may play the toughest schedule in the state.
While they do play a tough one it’s not a fitch-pitt schedule. Delby, SHP, bosco, Westfield, etc all play tougher schedules. Caldwell is good but not that good. I usually thing SHP plays too much club ball - I don’t think they prepared much for the final being they throttled Caldwell 19-2 the first time they played them.
laxdad1434

Post by laxdad1434 »

Njlaxx11 wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 9:48 pm

Joe

While they do play a tough one it’s not a fitch-pitt schedule. Delby, SHP, bosco, Westfield, etc all play tougher schedules. Caldwell is good but not that good. I usually thing SHP plays too much club ball - I don’t think they prepared much for the final being they throttled Caldwell 19-2 the first time they played them.
Caldwell's plays a comparable schedule to Westfield, 5 common opponents, SHP twice for Caldwell. The parochials are a different story.

Caldwell has a 1st year goalie that has gotten a lot better as the season progressed. They have shortened the line-up since the 1st SHP game, playing a more ball control offense. They really have no choice, not a lot of depth on the roster.
Njlaxx11

Post by Njlaxx11 »

laxdad1434 wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 11:28 am
Njlaxx11 wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 9:48 pm

Joe

Caldwell's plays a comparable schedule to Westfield, 5 common opponents, SHP twice for Caldwell. The parochials are a different story.

Caldwell has a 1st year goalie that has gotten a lot better as the season progressed. They have shortened the line-up since the 1st SHP game, playing a more ball control offense. They really have no choice, not a lot of depth on the roster.
like i said - caldwell plays a good scheduled and they're a good team. they won't compete with lakes in group 1 north IMO.

if you go on laxnumbers you'll see SOS - caldwell 85.07, westfield 86.26.

Return to “HS BOYS LACROSSE”