Ivy League 2023

D1 Mens Lacrosse
Ezra White

Re: Ivy League 2023

Post by Ezra White »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 8:24 am Dartmouth FR had 10/27 pts against Hobart…
Maybe, but faircornell's post was discussing ROW, not ROY.

I stand by my post that relative performance, opponent quality, and game importance seem to be irrelevant to choosing the award-winner. It's more like everyone, or at least every school, gets a trophy than a meaningful award based on merit.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Ezra White wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 10:43 am
Farfromgeneva wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 8:24 am Dartmouth FR had 10/27 pts against Hobart…
Maybe, but faircornell's post was discussing ROW, not ROY.

I stand by my post that relative performance, opponent quality, and game importance seem to be irrelevant to choosing the award-winner. It's more like everyone, or at least every school, gets a trophy than a meaningful award based on merit.
Understood I’m still salty we gave up 20 in that game and then they basically win one more game the rest of the year.
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

bearlaxfan wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 9:14 am
faircornell wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 8:40 am
Ezra White wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 1:01 am
ICGrad wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 8:59 pm
faircornell wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 6:11 pm
CU77 did some digging into this earlier in the season. My understanding is that each school can nominate two players. I
My guess is that this week the thinking was: Kirst for the huge 6 point day, then Blake for the two crucial goals down the stretch. I mean, I can see why the guy who scored the game-tying, then the game-winning, goals would deserve mention. Certainly a more obvious selection for someone who might not follow the sport as closely as forumites here do.

But yeah, clearly Adler and Cascadan would have been deserving of mention as well. Ultimately I have no issue with Blake getting the nod; he came up big in the clutch (not that Adler didn't) and is certainly deserving.
A league-wide award should take into account the importance of individual games and quality of opponents. Otherwise, the award becomes like giving everyone a trophy.

So, how does a Dartmouth attackman who only goes (1,1) win ROW over Cascadan?

He was the only rookie nominated amongst the Honor Role.
Brown 🤬. So they had a freshman middie go 3,2 Saturday on the same field as Paradine and no one could be bothered to type his name and hit *enter* as ROW. This is a re-whinge from last post on p38.
Sounds like Brown's SID dropped the ball this week.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

https://twitter.com/TigerLacrosse/statu ... 78464?s=20

Princeton Men's Lacrosse mourns the passing of the great Cookie Krongard ’61, a Hall of Fame goalie who still hopped in the cage at alumni games into his 80s.

"His impact on our program and all of the young men who have come through it will be remembered forever." - Matt Madalon

A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
CU77

Post by CU77 »

ILT starting on ESPNNews (not ESPNU)
ICGrad

Post by ICGrad »

CU77 wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 6:02 pm ILT starting on ESPNNews (not ESPNU)
I can't get the feed to work. Is it because the women's semis are going long? I can see by the livestats that the game has started.
CU77

Post by CU77 »

It's on the channel ESPN News.
ICGrad

Post by ICGrad »

Thanks

The Hulu app was showing something else on that hub, but when I clicked on it the game was playing.
FannOLax

Post by FannOLax »

After going 2-0 up, Yale did NOT concede 8 consecutive goals, so this is indeed a very different game from the March encounter. Paquette has settled in nicely, and Yale has done well enough throughout on face-offs. Amazing how much Yale has improved, and not just the defense. Knock on wood.
Bigdawg69

Post by Bigdawg69 »

I got Princeton over Penn tonight
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

carc and q are absolute clown shows. denegrating coaching and players as they go up 6 with 3 left.

clown... shows.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

wgdsr wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 8:17 pm carc and q are absolute clown shows. denegrating coaching and players as they go up 6 with 3 left.

clown... shows.
watching PL game….what’d they say, this time?
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

youthathletics wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 8:19 pm
wgdsr wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 8:17 pm carc and q are absolute clown shows. denegrating coaching and players as they go up 6 with 3 left.

clown... shows.
watching PL game….what’d they say, this time?
screaming at players and coaches to settle up 5 with 3 min left. with basically an open goal. they are coaching geniuses.

should be "a teaching moment".

yale just went up 7.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

cornell giving up 19 with 13 left... might be a unicorn but they have work to do and not a lot of time to do it.
ctbagataway

Post by ctbagataway »

Ivy League may end up with four spots in the tournament. The crying about a down year in the Ivy’s seems to have died down a bit in the back half of the season.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

If Pton wins the ILT I still don’t see 4 getting in and I don’t know about crying but the IL is undeniably not as good in 23 as 22. Why would folks discuss that during the league play portion of the season?

However…it was looking like a two spot league a few weeks ago and 3 looks more likely now.
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
bearlaxfan

Post by bearlaxfan »

If Yale wins today I can see 2: Y & C.
If Denver loses does BT get in as a lifetime achievement award? Only if refs don't get votes.
And a bunch of schools should chip in & send a candygram to Chapel Hill. I don't think UNC would have deserved a bid even if they had won today, but that didn't seem to be the CW.
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

It could come down to Penn, Denver, maybe Michigan or Penn, Georgetown, maybe Mich. committee had Denver had ahead of Penn last week and based on results this week it would appear that Denver is even more solidified but the committee has fibbed with that stuff before.

Denver is 1 spot ahead in RPI but Penn has better SOS and 2 Top 10 wins and Denver has none. Denver 4 Top 20 wins to Penn’s 3. Both have a bad loss. Certainly can make a good case for Penn there.

Penn/Georgetown same. Penn beat Georgetown H2H. Would have 2 Top 10 wins to Georgetown’s 1. Possibly both 3 Top 20 wins. Penn would have a bad loss that Georgetown does not have. And Georgetown would have a decided RPI advantage that committee could deem too much for Penn to overcome. But again, it’s in ballpark.

Also think it’s worth considering Mich considering they’re only team with a Top 5 win and also have a Top 10 win for 2 T10 wins plus Top 10 SOS and RPI of 14 but seems unlikely.

So 4 Ivies ain’t off the table. It def ain’t the most likely outcome but it’s not totally impossible
The Orfling

Post by The Orfling »

I know as an Ivy League fan I should be rooting against bid stealer Michigan, but as a college lacrosse fan, what a story if Michigan were to win its first Big 10 lacrosse title against Maryland. I never count out a Tillman coached team (his halftime adjustments tend to be excellent and maybe he has a secret plan to check the Wolverines’ sock colors at a key juncture), but Michigan looked very strong in the first half.
molo

Post by molo »

After what I just saw, Michigan is no bjd stealer. They upset PSU Thursday and dismantled Maryland this afternoon, and they have one bad loss to Marquette. At large locks are Duke, ND, UVA, Maryland, Penn State, and Hopkins. That leaves room for couple Ivies. If Yale wins the ILT, Cornell and Penn have a shot. If Princeton wins, Yale and Cornell would be alive. If Loyola wins the PLT, does Army get in? From what I’ve seen of the Ivy thus year, two would not be a screw job .

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”