Maryland 2023

D1 Mens Lacrosse
jrn19

Re: Maryland 2023

Post by jrn19 »

CU77 wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 12:30 pm
jrn19 wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 12:09 am Plus, if you use laxref's RPI simulator...it would take a lot to knock Hop out of the Top 5 in RPI. Like Albany > Bryant (helps Cornell bc they beat Albany), Stony Brook > Delaware (hurts Hopkins because they beat Delaware), Army > BU (helps Cornell bc they beat Army.) They're pretty baked in there. https://pro.lacrossereference.com/selec ... tor-d1-men
Well no. Just adding expected Ivy, B1G, and Big East tournament results

sim1.jpg

results in Hop down to #6, Cornell at #4:

sim.jpg

Note that you need to click on "RPI" to order the teams by RPI instead of expected (simulated) seed.
Well no. I'm aware that you need to click on "RPI." You only put in the results of 5 games. There are also the ASUN tournament, PL tournament, and America East, CAA, A10, and MAAC championships. If those follow the "expected" results...Hopkins winds up at #5 in RPI and Cornell is #6.

Hopkins: .6425
Cornell: .6412
MoralTerpitude

Post by MoralTerpitude »

Some thoughts on the game:
-The biggest thing that stood out to me was that attrition to the longsticks (Zap and Geppert) meant that Redd was thrown into the LSM rotation, which led to Gibbons picking up minutes at SSDM. There is a sharp drop off from Redd to Gibbons, and the Jays exploited it. They scored two goals directly on him, and tried to go at him a few other times. Clearly they identified him as a weak link. IMO Redd has been the Terps’ best SSDM, so hopefully Geppert gets healthy enough to not need Redd to spell him.
-Looked like Schaller missed a couple of slides early on, but cleaned it up from that point on.
-Trader looks like he’s hit a wall. Which is understandable - he’s played a full season of football, then transitioned right into the lacrosse season. With the longstick injuries, guessing Tills can’t rest him.
-And Maryland’s offense continues to improve… their shooting percentage the last 8 games: 29%, 26%, 27%, 32%, 37%, 33%, 39%, 41%. (And nearly 50% after the first quarter.) This offense is ready for the tournament.
-The other stat to watch: 9 TOs in the first three quarters, before seven in the final quarter as they worked the clock down with the lead.

I’m more convinced playing the quarters helped them - allowed them to stay in rhythm, and continue to build momentum on offense.
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

They pulled Makar and Zaps up top as opposed to below GLE and dodged them from the alleys and wings a lot. Had a ton of success doing it. Makar looked much less comfortable dealing with Zawada's size when Zawada could get at him downhill or turn from the wing towards the cage as opposed to just dodging from behind X. It was a wrinkle that only really they've utilized but it worked a bunch. You'd expect Maryland to have an answer for it. Schaller did an incredible job on Angelus, but Boehm will be perhaps an even tougher assignment. They are the one team who can really probably push the Terps poles on the schedule and when that's the case, with the shorties occasional inconsistency, it can be a long day. If Makar can adjust and Schaller is as good as he was Thursday, I expect it'll be a better performance but it's a tough match-up.

Also, that was probably our weakest specialty day of the season: Ruppel saved 45% and had some tough ones and went 13-30 on FOs. Wietfeldt is one of the few guys on Wierman's level and they also can throw Rowlett out there to keep him fresh.

The offense is in a better place now than it was then with Erksa's emergence plus the 2nd MF started to blossom after that game and based on what we saw with adjustments against Hop I think we'll see some from the first game but Michigan might be the toughest matchup in the conference for us at the moment plus they're going to be the more desperate team. They probably HAVE to win this game whereas for us while I'm sure the team very much wants to win another conference championship, they know they're playing next week
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

MoralTerpitude wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 5:16 pm Some thoughts on the game:
-The biggest thing that stood out to me was that attrition to the longsticks (Zap and Geppert) meant that Redd was thrown into the LSM rotation, which led to Gibbons picking up minutes at SSDM. There is a sharp drop off from Redd to Gibbons, and the Jays exploited it. They scored two goals directly on him, and tried to go at him a few other times. Clearly they identified him as a weak link. IMO Redd has been the Terps’ best SSDM, so hopefully Geppert gets healthy enough to not need Redd to spell him.
-Looked like Schaller missed a couple of slides early on, but cleaned it up from that point on.
-Trader looks like he’s hit a wall. Which is understandable - he’s played a full season of football, then transitioned right into the lacrosse season. With the longstick injuries, guessing Tills can’t rest him.
-And Maryland’s offense continues to improve… their shooting percentage the last 8 games: 29%, 26%, 27%, 32%, 37%, 33%, 39%, 41%. (And nearly 50% after the first quarter.) This offense is ready for the tournament.
-The other stat to watch: 9 TOs in the first three quarters, before seven in the final quarter as they worked the clock down with the lead.

I’m more convinced playing the quarters helped them - allowed them to stay in rhythm, and continue to build momentum on offense.
Last 5 games is what I was mentioning early in the year. It's never gonna be elite, but just get to the point where they can string together 4 straight games of over 30% shooting and they have a chance. Unfortunately what's also emerged is Wierman becoming mortal and that means the offense just shooting 30-32% may not be enough. But if they can keep that streak going and they get an elite Wierman day, they will win.
MoralTerpitude

Post by MoralTerpitude »

jrn19 wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 5:18 pm
MoralTerpitude wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 5:16 pm Some thoughts on the game:

Last 5 games is what I was mentioning early in the year. It's never gonna be elite, but just get to the point where they can string together 4 straight games of over 30% shooting and they have a chance. Unfortunately what's also emerged is Wierman becoming mortal and that means the offense just shooting 30-32% may not be enough. But if they can keep that streak going and they get an elite Wierman day, they will win.
I think Michigan and Hopkins just match up well with Wierman. Not too worried about him moving forward.
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

I mean, we know he's been hurt since the Albany game. Since then he's been winning at 58%, which is very good, but he was at 72% prior to that game and 66% last year. He's fallen off. He's susceptible to a 50% game or slightly lower and for this offense, that means a tough game because they're prone to fits of turnovers as we've seen.
molo

Post by molo »

It will be interesting to see how the two FOGOs hold up against the one.
MoralTerpitude

Post by MoralTerpitude »

Wierman went 13-28 against them in this year's game, and 18-33 in last year's game against Michigan. I'd expect him to be around 50% again.

The Terps will not be able to rely on him for a possession advantage.

It will be interesting to see how Maryland's depth holds up on short rest. Tills has built up depth on both ends of the field due to experimenting with line combos, and injuries. If they can get healthier before the NCAAs (Zap, Geppert), that could really pay off.
molo

Post by molo »

Their depth should be a major factor. Warm weather and short rest make it harder for some of the thin teams with a few outstanding individuals to keep winning this time of year.
Wheels

Post by Wheels »

jrn19 wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 6:22 pm I mean, we know he's been hurt since the Albany game. Since then he's been winning at 58%, which is very good, but he was at 72% prior to that game and 66% last year. He's fallen off. He's susceptible to a 50% game or slightly lower and for this offense, that means a tough game because they're prone to fits of turnovers as we've seen.
I'm not sure he's been hurt. Yes, he's got bumps and bruises like any high use player. But he's not hurt enough to miss any practice time.

The Terp FOGOs don't spend their entire practice time just doing face-offs. They get offensive and defensive reps in drills and 6v6 and full-field situations. He's been out there in practice not any type of pitch count.

Opponents are beating the crap out him, though, that's for sure.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

Oh no,

here we go again with UM.
jff97

Post by jff97 »

Offense back to its early season anemic form. Very stagnant. Meanwhile Michigan is being aggressive and doing whatever it wants on the other end.
Pork42

Post by Pork42 »

Refs are pussies. game has turned soft.
Bmk2222

Post by Bmk2222 »

Damn.
masondixonlax

Post by masondixonlax »

Woof. Can’t remember the last time the terms got spanked like this. They atleast hung on until the 4th with Loyola
Last edited by masondixonlax on Sat May 06, 2023 7:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gatsby

Post by Gatsby »

Needs more duct tape :arrow:
keno in reno

Post by keno in reno »

Michigan is a better team this year, just like PSU and JHU were in 2019. Doesn't mean anything for the tournament. 4 or 5 seed, not much difference.

Would be cool if B1G gets 6, 7, and 8/9 seeds so the the ACC3 have to earn their final 4 spots.
MoralTerpitude

Post by MoralTerpitude »

Really impressed with Michigan. Didn’t help that the Terps seemed to think covering Boehm was optional.
Pork42

Post by Pork42 »

Old fashion ass whopping from a team that justed it more with seasoned veterans. ( heard that before)Maryland is young and it a good experience. Learn through humiliation. Zawahda earns some revenge.
molo

Post by molo »

Ran into a buzz saw with a two headed FOGO monster.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”