media matters

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.
a fan

Re: media matters

Post by a fan »

JoeMauer89 wrote: Sat May 06, 2023 3:46 pm Didn't you just assume what you thought he meant? I'm confused. This site is a discussion board. Posts are supposed to spur discussion, even if the discussion skews in a way that is not in line with what you are comfortable with. That's the nature of what discussion is. It's not supposed to be controlled and directed to a preferred narrative, it's supposed to flow. At least that's how it happens everywhere outside of the political forums on this site. This site is the outlier. :roll:

Joe
You don't have discussions here, either, Joe. Although you claim to.

Here's your chance. Yet again.

If you bothered to read the "source" for this plainly racist bar graph, in under 60 seconds you'd find that the "camera" is trying to sell a whole mess of racist myths.

https://bjs.ojp.gov/content/pub/pdf/cv18.pdf

My question to you is: how come the chart "forgot" to include "white on white violent crime incidents" ?

Wanna know what that number is? If you took just 60 seconds, all scrolled right on down to Table 14, you'd find that while it's true that 500,000+ crime incidents occurred that were black on white".....that the actual biggest number in the Table was 'white on white" crime, which was (drumroll)

2,224,024. Just a "shade" more than the ~550k, don't you think? Kinda an important "detail" to this study to leave out, don't you think?

So you've got the floor, since you want to have a conversation.......why do you think the wanker who made this chart....."forgot" put that number in?
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

It was my intention that the discussion, based on the camera zoom, the first word in the slide ‘interracial’, and what is conveyed by the media almost every time a white person has an altercation/crime with a person not-white…that there may be some consensus that media does show bias. To the point often they also avoid inserting race if the alleged guilty party is not-white.

MD was the only one that seemed inquisitive enough to at least inquire before going all-in on assuming some sort of racially driven motives on my part.

Sorry to have plucked a nerve….I thought it was quite clear, this slide was all about media
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
DMac

Post by DMac »

I think this is an interesting discussion, gotta say I agree with most everything in it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4SFHV75P3S4
a fan

Post by a fan »

youthathletics wrote: Sat May 06, 2023 5:34 pm It was my intention that the discussion, based on the camera zoom, the first word in the slide ‘interracial’, and what is conveyed by the media almost every time a white person has an altercation/crime with a person not-white…that there may be some consensus that media does show bias. To the point often they also avoid inserting race if the alleged guilty party is not-white.

MD was the only one that seemed inquisitive enough to at least inquire before going all-in on assuming some sort of racially driven motives on my part.

Sorry to have plucked a nerve….I thought it was quite clear, this slide was all about media
No apologies needed!

Now that you clarify? I understand what YOU got out of it. Appreciate it.

My reaction was to what was, to me, the fact that they INTENTIONALLY left out the "white on white" bar in the bar graph in an attempt to show media bias.

That meme is hypocritical......it tries to show that the media doesn't tell the whole story. Yet leaving out the "white on white" bar---which is a MASSIVE number compared with the other bars-----makes the guy who made this WORSE than the media.

Which is what I got out of their hypocritical attempt at satire. Whoever put that together is a racist.......OR they chose the wrong graph and/or subject for their satire of the media.
JoeMauer89

Post by JoeMauer89 »

a fan wrote: Sat May 06, 2023 6:00 pm
youthathletics wrote: Sat May 06, 2023 5:34 pm It was my intention that the discussion, based on the camera zoom, the first word in the slide ‘interracial’, and what is conveyed by the media almost every time a white person has an altercation/crime with a person not-white…that there may be some consensus that media does show bias. To the point often they also avoid inserting race if the alleged guilty party is not-white.

No apologies needed!

My reaction was to what was, to me, the fact that they INTENTIONALLY left out the "white on white" bar in the bar graph in an attempt to show media bias.

That meme is hypocritical......it tries to show that the media doesn't tell the whole story. Yet leaving out the "white on white" bar---which is a MASSIVE number compared with the other bars-----makes the guy who made this WORSE than the media.

Which is what I got out of their hypocritical attempt at satire. Whoever put that together is a racist.......OR they chose the wrong graph and/or subject for their satire of the media.
Honest question, was the "Black on Black" statistic left off for the same reason? I can only assume so...

Joe
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Great.

Allow me to poke around, though, with what you are suggesting as your take. (Note, I agree with a fan about the intentions of the person who created the meme...intentionally misleading.)

Are you saying that when a black person harms a white person it doesn't get reported as significant, whereas when a white person harms a black person it gets special attention?

Despite the reality that in aggregate terms there are more instances of the former than the latter?

Is that the "bias"?

hmmm... young white woman goes missing seems to get a whole lot more attention than young black woman goes missing...right? No?
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

JoeMauer89 wrote: Sat May 06, 2023 6:09 pm

No apologies needed!

Honest question, was the "Black on Black" statistic left off for the same reason? I can only assume so...

Joe
Black on Black crime is about 8% higher than white on white. People often commit crimes against people they are around a lot. Why do you think Black on Black crime was left out? Did you look at the links?
“I wish you would!”
JoeMauer89

Post by JoeMauer89 »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sat May 06, 2023 6:47 pm

No apologies needed!

Joe
Black on Black crime is about 8% higher than white on white. People often commit crimes against people they are around a lot. Why do you think Black on Black crime was left out? Did you look at the links?
I did, you are right. Disregard my earlier post. Enjoy the Derby! How about Michigan? Aidan Mulholland from Manhasset is fitting in nicely for them! Real solid player...

Joe
Typical Lax Dad

JoeMauer89 wrote: Sat May 06, 2023 6:59 pm

No apologies needed!

Joe
I did, you are right. Disregard my earlier post. Enjoy the Derby! How about Michigan? Aidan Mulholland from Manhasset is fitting in nicely for them! Real solid player...

Joe
No problem Joe….people kill people they see routinely, generally speaking. Once black folk reduce the black on black crime by 8% points, we won’t hear about how bad it is because you never hear how bad white on white crime is. That last 8% is just excessive….

Nice game by Michigan. My son didn’t take the visit due to a game conflict but wanted to take it just to see the Big House…. We are Buckeye Fans!!
“I wish you would!”
JoeMauer89

Post by JoeMauer89 »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sat May 06, 2023 7:05 pm

No apologies needed!

Joe

Joe
No problem Joe….people kill people they see routinely, generally speaking. Once black folk reduce the black on black crime by 8% points, we won’t hear about how bad it is because you never hear how bad white on white crime is. That last 8% is just excessive….

Nice game by Michigan. My son didn’t take the visit due to a game conflict but wanted to take it just to see the Big House…. We are Buckeye Fans!!
Hopefully the men's tournament is at OSU new field soon, do you know if it is scheduled their in the next few years?

Joe
Typical Lax Dad

JoeMauer89 wrote: Sat May 06, 2023 7:15 pm

No apologies needed!

Joe

Joe

Hopefully the men's tournament is at OSU new field soon, do you know if it is scheduled their in the next few years?

Joe
I am not sure. I should have clarified…..Buckeye Football fans!! I follow the OSU lacrosse team only in passing and I know Coach Myers.
“I wish you would!”
JoeMauer89

Post by JoeMauer89 »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sat May 06, 2023 7:22 pm

No apologies needed!

Joe

Joe

Joe
I am not sure. I should have clarified…..Buckeye Football fans!! I follow the OSU lacrosse team only in passing and I know Coach Myers.
Haha, you already know my allegiances...Buckeye Football and Duke Basketball. Live and die by both!

Joe
Typical Lax Dad

JoeMauer89 wrote: Sat May 06, 2023 7:28 pm

No apologies needed!

Joe

Joe

Joe
Haha, you already know my allegiances...Buckeye Football and Duke Basketball. Live and die by both!

Joe
I haven’t liked Duke since Johnny Dawkins played there.
“I wish you would!”
JoeMauer89

Post by JoeMauer89 »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sat May 06, 2023 7:33 pm
JoeMauer89 wrote: Sat May 06, 2023 7:28 pm

No apologies needed!

Joe

Joe

Joe

Joe
I haven’t liked Duke since Johnny Dawkins played there.
This I know lol. Always have been a fan, will never change through thick and thin. Can't explain it. Was raised and influenced by cousins in the mid-90's in Brooklyn, haven't looked back since. Was amazed then, hasn't changed one bit!!

Joe
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

wow, I did not expect Michigan to win, much less by that score!
DMac

Post by DMac »

Didn't know where to put this but this'll do.
I think this is a good discussion, agree with most of it.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

DMac wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 8:00 am Didn't know where to put this but this'll do.
I don't like either of these guys, so I'm anticipating chalk squeaking reaction, though slow burn.

But I promise to listen later.
DMac

Post by DMac »

I think you might be surprised, let me know your reaction.
a fan

Post by a fan »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 11:43 am
DMac wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 8:00 am Didn't know where to put this but this'll do.
I don't like either of these guys, so I'm anticipating chalk squeaking reaction, though slow burn.

But I promise to listen later.
They covered a ton of subjects. What was it that got your attention, Dmac?
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

DMac wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 11:57 am I think you might be surprised, let me know your reaction.
I've gotten to the part where Bill is whining about being attacked, "canceled" in Piers' words, on Twitter.

Come on, comedians have never not been attacked for their pushing the boundaries of free speech. They used to only be able to do so in the bowels of comedy club, and even there the police could come in and shut them down. When they went on mass media, they had to toe a much tougher line...and they did.

But now, comics expect to be on mass media and say any darn thing they want...without public reaction? Of course people will not like some of what they say.

so, why whine about it?

This is an enormously well paid 66 yr old something comic who says pretty much anything he wants...and his whine is that teenagers are "mean girls"???

I'll be back...

Return to “POLITICS”