media matters

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.
MDlaxfan76

Re: media matters

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

njbill wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 11:43 am Why was Tucker fired? I think it’s pretty simple. Because of everything he has ever said or done.
Becoming known through court cases...creating liability for Fox

Gotta think this was a liability issue of very large financial magnitude, as the sacrifice in revenue/viewership was large, though presumably survivable.

Without the financial problem, apparently they were just fine with what he as ever said or done.
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 12:18 pm
njbill wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 11:43 am Why was Tucker fired? I think it’s pretty simple. Because of everything he has ever said or done.
Becoming known through court cases...creating liability for Fox

Gotta think this was a liability issue of very large financial magnitude, as the sacrifice in revenue/viewership was large, though presumably survivable.

Without the financial problem, apparently they were just fine with what he as ever said or done.
https://amp.theguardian.com/media/2023/ ... -news-host
“I wish you would!”
Seacoaster(1)

Post by Seacoaster(1) »

Tucker's firing:

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/05/02/busi ... e-men.html

"A text message sent by Tucker Carlson that set off a panic at the highest levels of Fox on the eve of its billion-dollar defamation trial showed its most popular host sharing his private, inflammatory views about violence and race.

The discovery of the message contributed to a chain of events that ultimately led to Mr. Carlson’s firing.

In the message, sent to one of his producers in the hours after violent Trump supporters stormed the Capitol on Jan. 6, 2021, Mr. Carlson described how he had recently watched a video of a group of men — Trump supporters, he said — violently attacking “an Antifa kid.”

It was “three against one, at least,” he wrote.

And then he expressed a sense of dismay that the attackers, like him, were white.

“Jumping a guy like that is dishonorable obviously,” he wrote.

“It’s not how white men fight,” he said. But he said he found himself for a moment wanting the group to kill the person he had described as the Antifa kid.

Tucker Carlson’s Text to a Producer
EXHIBIT 276
Tucker Carlson January 7, 2021 — 04:18:04 PM UTC

'A couple of weeks ago, I was watching video of people fighting on the street in Washington. A group of Trump guys surrounded an Antifa kid and started pounding the living turd out of him. It was three against one, at least. Jumping a guy like that is dishonorable obviously. It’s not how white men fight. Yet suddenly I found myself rooting for the mob against the man, hoping they’d hit him harder, kill him. I really wanted them to hurt the kid. I could taste it. Then somewhere deep in my brain, an alarm went off: this isn’t good for me. I’m becoming something I don’t want to be. The Antifa creep is a human being. Much as I despise what he says and does, much as I’m sure I’d hate him personally if I knew him, I shouldn’t gloat over his suffering. I should be bothered by it. I should remember that somewhere somebody probably loves this kid, and would be crushed if he was killed. If I don’t care about those things, if I reduce people to their politics, how am I better than he is?'

For years, Mr. Carlson espoused views on his show that amplified the ideology of white nationalism. But the text message revealed more about his views on racial superiority.

The text alarmed the Fox board, which saw the message a day before Fox was set to defend itself against Dominion Voting Systems before a jury. The board grew concerned that the message could become public at trial when Mr. Carlson was on the stand, creating a sensational and damaging moment that would raise broader questions about the company.

The day after the discovery, the board told Fox executives it was bringing in an outside law firm to conduct an investigation into Mr. Carlson’s conduct.

The text message added to a growing number of internal issues involving Mr. Carlson that led the company’s leadership to conclude he was more of a problem than an asset and had to go, according to several people with knowledge of the decision. In other messages he had referred to women — including a senior Fox executive — in crude and misogynistic terms. The message about the fight also played a role in the company’s decision to settle with Dominion for $787.5 million, the highest known payout in a defamation case.

A representative for Mr. Carlson said he had no comment.

The text is part of redacted court filings and its contents were previously unreported. The contents of the text were disclosed in interviews with several people close to the defamation lawsuit against Fox. The people spoke on the condition of anonymity because they did not want to be identified discussing a message that is protected by a court order. In public filings, it remains hidden behind a block of black text.

A page from the redacted document obtained by The Times that contains the text message from Tucker Carlson that led to his demise at Fox.

Mr. Carlson’s messages were collected as part of the defamation lawsuit filed against Fox by Dominion, which accused the network of knowingly airing falsehoods about election fraud. Many of the messages shared in the case, including those among Fox executives and hosts, were released publicly. But others, like the one between Mr. Carlson and one of his producers in the hours after Jan. 6, 2021, remain redacted.

In that text, Mr. Carlson described his own emotions as he watched the video of the violent clash, which he said took place on the streets of Washington. Mr. Carlson did not describe the race of the man being attacked.

“I found myself rooting for the mob against the man, hoping they’d hit him harder, kill him. I really wanted them to hurt the kid. I could taste it,” he wrote. “Then somewhere deep in my brain, an alarm went off: this isn’t good for me. I’m becoming something I don’t want to be.”

After all, he wrote, “Somebody probably loves this kid, and would be crushed if he was killed.”

“If I don’t care about those things, if I reduce people to their politics, how am I better than he is?” he wrote.

The text message came to the attention of Fox’s board of directors and even some senior executives only last month, on the Sunday before the trial was set to begin, according to two people with knowledge of Fox’s internal deliberations. At the time, Fox’s negotiators were entering discussions about an out-of-court settlement ahead of the swearing in of what was shaping up to be a diverse jury.

The next day, the board told Fox’s leadership about its plan to have the law firm Wachtell, Lipton, Rosen and Katz investigate Mr. Carlson. That disclosure set up the possibility that there could be a continuing investigation into what was behind Mr. Carlson’s messages at the same time as a trial, and as he was serving as its top host in prime time.

Fox has not commented about Mr. Carlson’s ouster last week beyond an initial statement announcing that they “agreed to part ways” and thanking “him for his service.” It did not respond to a request for comment on Tuesday on the contents of Mr. Carlson’s redacted message.

It remains unclear how the text escaped more notice earlier, given that the Fox legal team was aware of it and other offensive texts written by Mr. Carlson. Fox’s lawyers had produced the text as part of the discovery process and were involved in the redactions. Mr. Carlson had even been asked about it during a deposition, according to several people who have read the unredacted transcripts of his deposition.

It was not guaranteed that the text would have been revealed in open court. Dominion’s lawyers had still not decided whether they would introduce the text in front of the jury, according to people with knowledge of their plans. The two sides disagreed on whether the Dominion lawyers could have presented such a redacted message at trial if they had decided to do so, a decision that would have ultimately fallen to the judge. The difference became moot after Fox struck an 11th-hour deal on April 18 to pay Dominion $787.5 million and avoid trial.

How Fox’s executives and board handled the case in the months before the trial was scheduled to begin is expected to be at issue in shareholder lawsuits filed against the company in Delaware.

Though Mr. Carlson’s show, “Tucker Carlson Tonight,” was only a small factor in the Dominion suit, his personal texts were drawing outsize scrutiny.

The text about the fight came on top of a damaging chain of messages that had been revealed publicly ahead of trial, and that were shocking in their own right. Writing to one of his producers after the assault on the Capitol, Mr. Carlson describes the president he championed on his show as a “demonic force” and a “destroyer.”

A recurring theme of his show during the six years that it ran in prime time on Fox News was the displacement of white Americans by people of color. Mr. Carlson often framed topics in the news as part of a larger struggle between “us” and “them,” with immigrants and other marginalized groups steadily and surely taking from whites what had long been theirs: political and cultural power in the United States.

He attacked Black social justice activists and portrayed immigrants from Central America as a blight on the nation. He said in 2018 that immigrants make the country “dirtier.”

In the aftermath of a mass shooting in El Paso at the hands of a gunman who cited white supremacist beliefs in his manifesto, Mr. Carlson declared on his show that white supremacy was “not a real problem,” likening it to a conspiracy theory.

On Monday, The New York Times and other news organizations urged the judge overseeing the Dominion case to release some of the messages that were redacted."
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
Typical Lax Dad

youthathletics wrote: Sat May 06, 2023 7:43 am Interesting....https://twitter.com/EndWokeness/status/ ... 25122?s=20

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/fac ... 739522002/

Can you compare and contrast “end wokeness” with the “Christian” mission? Can’t believe you will be sitting up in church tomorrow.

Take a look at “table 14”.

https://bjs.ojp.gov/content/pub/pdf/cv18.pdf
“I wish you would!”
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

youthathletics wrote: Sat May 06, 2023 7:43 am Interesting....https://twitter.com/EndWokeness/status/ ... 25122?s=20

So...what is "interesting" about a baldly misleading viral meme?

Is it "interesting" that someone would put such garbage out on the web?
Is it their hateful intention that is "interesting"?

Or is it "interesting" how many people are so easily and willingly fooled by such garbage?
Typical Lax Dad

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Sat May 06, 2023 9:03 am

Or is it "interesting" how many people are so easily and willingly fooled by such garbage?
Propagating divisiveness is a choice….. can’t be the Christian mission.
“I wish you would!”
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sat May 06, 2023 10:34 am

I see reading is fundamental.....the title of the chart is 'interracial", not race on race, and the point of the meme is about how the media portrays these crimes; hence the thread it was posted. But hey, if you two are done rubbing nuts with one another, and not view everything as an attack on race or minimizing a class...maybe you'd not be so knee-jerk to just put me down and question 'how I can sit in a church' on Sunday. :lol:

Enjoy the weekend of lacrosse.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
a fan

Post by a fan »

youthathletics wrote: Sat May 06, 2023 12:12 pm

I see reading is fundamental.....the title of the chart is 'interracial", not race on race, and the point of the meme is about how the media portrays these crimes; hence the thread it was posted. But hey, if you two are done rubbing nuts with one another, and not view everything as an attack on race or minimizing a class...maybe you'd not be so knee-jerk to just put me down and question 'how I can sit in a church' on Sunday. :lol:

The chart is a big fat lie, YA. That's the problem. And the folks who did this KNOW it's a big fat lie.

So they question you should ask is: 1. why did they do that (you know why). 2. if you really found this interesting, why would you not take the ten seconds that I did to go to the source, and scroll on down to "table 14", and check the claim?

You know better than to believe cr*p posted on the internet.

https://bjs.ojp.gov/content/pub/pdf/cv18.pdf
Typical Lax Dad

youthathletics wrote: Sat May 06, 2023 12:12 pm

Un huh. Be afraid of black folk and hispanic folk because they attack white folk….look at the numbers….. Talk like that justified “lynchins”….. deh is dangerous…. Disgraceful.
“I wish you would!”
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

You guys are still focused on the numbers. The entire post purpose of this chart is ABOUT THE MEDIA. Sheesh.
~Livy

a fan

Post by a fan »

youthathletics wrote: Sat May 06, 2023 2:24 pm You guys are still focused on the numbers. The entire post purpose of this chart is ABOUT THE MEDIA. Sheesh.
You're not being fair. You hand us a post with the comment "interesting".

And that's it. And from there, we're supposed to guess what your point is. And if we guess wrong, we're the bad guys.

How about you tell us what your view is, and let's go from there, and maybe cut us some slack.

This has been a theme at the Water Cooler. Someone makes a post with a citation, and a vague, loose comment about it (in this case, "interesting")....and the other posters make their own comments.

And then the guy who made the original vague post gets offended and yells at the other posters, instead of simply admitting that there's NO WAY we could possibly know what you think about this citation, let alone WHY you made the citation.

Be more clear. Problem solved. I have made vague posts before, and clarified them later....no big deal, my man.

So: what's "interesting" about that twitter post that lies about the numbers in the citation? You have the floor.
Typical Lax Dad

youthathletics wrote: Sat May 06, 2023 2:24 pm You guys are still focused on the numbers. The entire post purpose of this chart is ABOUT THE MEDIA. Sheesh.
You mean “twitter”? Or “End Wokeness”?
“I wish you would!”
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

youth, my questions provided you a perfect opportunity to clarify whatever you found "interesting".

The twitter thread re re=posted was "End Wokeness" and it's pretty darn clear what that originator was trying to do with this obviously intentionally misleading meme. But that's not you...you, however, chose to post the link and meme with the word "interesting".

So, what was your take about it that you found "interesting"???

Following up on your comment about "the media" being the topic of this thread, what is it that is interesting re the media?...do you mean that garbage like this gets posted in right wing disinformation threads, and gets picked up by mainstream right wing media like Fox...or even further out garbage purveyors like OAN, NewsMax or Breitbart? That's interesting?

Or do you mean to imply that you think that mainstream media like WAPO, WSJ, NYT, ABC, NBC, CBS, CNN etc get it all wrong...? For instance, are you saying that the MSM focuses on white on black crime when there's so much more (in total #'s) of crimes against whites? Really? You don't think the focus is on police violence being disproportionally against blacks? Not white on black, but badge against black?

Or do you think the MSM is overly concerned with racially motivated violence, actual hate crimes? Given there are so many crimes against whites?

Forget per capita, let's just pay attention to raw #?

Your fellow readers and posters can't read your mind.

Personally, I don't like assuming what someone means...
Last edited by MDlaxfan76 on Sat May 06, 2023 3:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Typical Lax Dad

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Sat May 06, 2023 3:36 pm

youth, my questions provided you a perfect opportunity to clarify whatever you found "interesting".

The twitter thread re re=posted was "End Wokeness" and it's pretty darn clear what that originator was trying to do with this obviously intentionally misleading meme. But that's not you...you, however, chose to post the link and meme with the word "interesting".

Following up on your comment about "the media" being the topic of this thread, what is it that is interesting re the media?...do you mean that garbage like this gets posted in right wing disinformation threads, and gets picked up by mainstream right wing media like Fox...or even further out garbage purveyors like OAN, NewsMax or Breitbart? That's interesting?

Or do you mean to imply that you think that mainstream media like WAPO, WSJ, NYT, ABC, NBC, CBS, CNN etc get it all wrong...?

YA seems to be implying that the media is wrongly focused on black issues and the supposed racism that blacks have faced whereas the reality is, Whites need to be fearful of Blacks and Hispanics. Look at the numbers. He can clear it up if that’s not what he meant. Hide your women!!
“I wish you would!”
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sat May 06, 2023 3:41 pm

Or do you mean to imply that you think that mainstream media like WAPO, WSJ, NYT, ABC, NBC, CBS, CNN etc get it all wrong...?

YA seems to be implying that the media is wrongly focused on black issues and the supposed racism that blacks have faced whereas the reality is, Whites need to be fearful of Blacks and Hispanics. Look at the numbers. He can clear it up if that’s not what he meant. Hide your women!!
It's pretty clear what the originator of the meme was trying to do (as you describe)...but youth merely finds it "interesting".

How so, youth?
JoeMauer89

Post by JoeMauer89 »

Didn't you just assume what you thought he meant? I'm confused. This site is a discussion board. Posts are supposed to spur discussion, even if the discussion skews in a way that is not in line with what you are comfortable with. That's the nature of what discussion is. It's not supposed to be controlled and directed to a preferred narrative, it's supposed to flow. At least that's how it happens everywhere outside of the political forums on this site. This site is the outlier. :roll:

Joe
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

JoeMauer89 wrote: Sat May 06, 2023 3:46 pm

Didn't you just assume what you thought he meant? I'm confused. This site is a discussion board. Posts are supposed to spur discussion, even if the discussion skews in a way that is not in line with what you are comfortable with. That's the nature of what discussion is. It's not supposed to be controlled and directed to a preferred narrative, it's supposed to flow. At least that's how it happens everywhere outside of the political forums on this site. This site is the outlier. :roll:

Joe
Hi Joe,
Absolutely correct. Discussion.

youth provided very little about his own view, so I asked specific questions to give him the opportunity to 'discuss', to clarify whatever it was that he found "interesting". I provided a bunch of possible options, with the door wide open to him to agree, disagree, but most importantly to "discuss".

I didn't make an assumption, I kept the door wide open.

Of the originator of the meme, however, I DO make some assumptions about their intentions. I't's a baldly, obviously intentionally, misleading bit of "garbage"...IMO. I, and others, have explained why.

And anyone who feels otherwise is certainly free to "flow" with their own views and explanations in contrast to my own, or in contrast to those of any other participant.

What I find "interesting" is that people post or read this sort of stuff and then find it so difficult to defend their intentions, their point of view, their "narrative", or whatever.

The floor is theirs to explain, recognizing that whatever they write will be fodder for further "discussion", including critique. Push back, not shouting.

Maybe that's the "outlier" aspect relative to whatever other site experiences you mean?
BTW, what are these other sites? Specifically?

Also, you may have missed this part which I'd added:

Or do you mean to imply that you think that mainstream media like WAPO, WSJ, NYT, ABC, NBC, CBS, CNN etc get it all wrong...? For instance, are you saying that the MSM focuses on white on black crime when there's so much more (in total #'s) of crimes against whites? Really? You don't think the focus is on police violence being disproportionally against blacks? Not white on black, but badge against black?

Or do you think the MSM is overly concerned with racially motivated violence, actual hate crimes? Given there are so many crimes against whites?

JoeMauer89

Post by JoeMauer89 »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Sat May 06, 2023 4:00 pm

Joe
Hi Joe,

youth provided very little about his own view, so I asked specific questions to give him the opportunity to 'discuss', to clarify whatever it was that he found "interesting". I provided a bunch of possible options, with the door wide open to him to agree, disagree, but most importantly to "discuss".

Of the originator of the meme, however, I DO make some assumptions about their intentions. I't's a baldly, obviously intentionally, misleading bit of "garbage"...IMO. I, and others, have explained why.

And anyone who feels otherwise is certainly free to "flow" with their own views and explanations in contrast to my own, or in contrast to those of any other participant.

What I find "interesting" is that people post or read this sort of stuff and then find it so difficult to defend their intentions, their point of view, their "narrative", or whatever.

The floor is theirs to explain, recognizing that whatever they write will be fodder for further "discussion", including critique. Push back, not shouting.

Maybe that's the "outlier" aspect relative to whatever other site experiences you mean?
Maybe the lack of response is due to the fact that this poster knows no matter what they say, it's going to be trivialized, twisted, and jumped on no matter how the salient the point is. Enjoy the lacrosse this weekend, Denver Vs Georgetown at 4:30PM and UMD Vs Michigan at 5:30PM.

Joe
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

JoeMauer89 wrote: Sat May 06, 2023 4:03 pm
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Sat May 06, 2023 4:00 pm

Joe
Hi Joe,

Maybe the lack of response is due to the fact that this poster knows no matter what they say, it's going to be trivialized, twisted, and jumped on no matter how the salient the point is. Enjoy the lacrosse this weekend, Denver Vs Georgetown at 4:30PM and UMD Vs Michigan at 5:30PM.

Joe
Joe, I'd added this in my edit of my response to youth within minutes of composing the original:

You want "discussion"?
If someone has a "salient point", it generally gets acknowledged as such, regardless of whether it "fits a narrative" of someone else.

But that doesn't mean that it won't get pushback...or is "discussion" a passive thing where whatever anyone says can't be challenged, addressed with alternative views?

Maybe this forum just isn't a "safe space" for either left or right, or liberal or conservative, or whatever, views from getting challenged.

Personally, I think that's a good thing.

Yes, some potential good games, though I have no dogs in those hunts...enjoy!

I'm heading out in a few to hit a some golf balls, had a great, long bike ride earlier...mint juleps, coronation chicken salad, aspic (mother making, we'll eat it), and Kentucky Derby with friends this evening.

Return to “POLITICS”