Navy 2022

D1 Mens Lacrosse
NovaHound

Re: Navy 2019

Post by NovaHound »

Wait... Wht??!!?? Congrats Navy on a well earned victory. Not a lot of folks saw this coming, me included.
old salt

Post by old salt »

Aaaargh ! All 3 teams that needed to win (Navy, Bucknell & HC), did win, leaving Navy #7, on the outside looking in.

The Mids did all they could tonight. A rematch at Army would have been fun, but it was not to be.

Good Senior Day send off for the Firsties. Something to build on for next year for the rest of the team.
• The following are the potential scenarios and seeding with Navy OUT of the Patriot League Tournament:
• Navy, Holy Cross, Loyola, and Bucknell win: 1. Loyola Maryland (7-1), 2. Lehigh (5-3), 3. Boston University (5-3), 4. Army West Point (5-3), 5. Holy Cross (4-4), 6. Bucknell (4-4), 7. Navy (4-4), 8. Colgate (2-6), 9. Lafayette (0-8)

> In the event of a three-way tie between Bucknell, Navy and Holy Cross (all at 4-4): the Mids would be out because both Holy Cross and Bucknell have wins over Lehigh.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

What an emotional roller coaster the past few hours. Poured about 4 fingers in the glass tonight....will catch up a bit later with some closing thoughts.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
HealthyDebate

Post by HealthyDebate »

Youth said it right, what an emotional roller coaster. Thank you to the firsties for their dedication the last 4 years and for their sacrifices moving forward.

The men left it on the field last night. #17&#24 put the team on their backs. I hate to say this but perhaps this is a game that can build to something big in 2020. Lots of youth on the field. But just a bittersweet way to finish the night. Riding a high and falling flat with the results of other games.
The Orfling

Post by The Orfling »

Well, damn. I was not paying enough attention and really thought it was “win and you’re in.”

Outstanding effort against BU and I will certainly miss watching this graduating class play for Navy MLax. Best of luck to the graduating firsties as they move on to the fleet and the Corps.
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

Post by WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus »

Wasn’t paying attn to last night’s results yet.

So Bill has a fork stuck in him?
old salt

Post by old salt »

WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2019 12:50 pm Wasn’t paying attn to last night’s results yet.

Yep. Season's over for Navy .:(.

The fact that 7 of 9 PL teams finished .500 or better in conf shows the parity in the PL.
...& Colgate (2-6) beat Syracuse.
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

old salt wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2019 4:13 pm
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2019 12:50 pm Wasn’t paying attn to last night’s results yet.

The fact that 7 of 9 PL teams finished .500 or better in conf shows the parity in the PL.
Crud. Bill will be joined by a flock of Blue Jays next weekend.
laxxygilmore

Post by laxxygilmore »

WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2019 5:25 pm

Exactly right on the PL parity, old salt.
The Crusaders cooked Bill indeed, WOMBAT. Unfortunately that 12-9 defeat of Navy by #34 Holy Cross back on 3-30-19 (with a nod to the "Coach Lynch Factor" by former NAPS HC Shane Lynch) loomed larger in 2019 than anticipated since the Crusaders 12-7 upset of Lehigh Friday night effectively “defeated” Navy yet again by denying them a 2019 PLT berth. Ironic that Holy Cross ended Navy’s PLT chances in 2017 by defeating them 11-7 in round one of the PLT and now this unfortunate result for Navy in 2019 by losing the regular season game to Holy Cross and then missing the 2019 PLT because of the Crusaders W over Lehigh at the end of the PL regular season Friday night to dash Navy’s PLT hope after their hard fought 13-12 W over Boston U. PL parity indeed.
Last edited by laxxygilmore on Mon Apr 29, 2019 11:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

Sometimes in life, you’re just screwed.
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

Mediocrity has become the new norm with Navy lax. And I think using the term “mediocrity” is a stretch.
Sllaxdad

Post by Sllaxdad »

As a fan of another PL team, and having friends and family who are at the Academy, i want to complement the team for the way they conduct themselves. Their is never any quit and the fact that they beat a very good BU team to put themselves in a position to qualify just reenforces my opinion. Good luck to the men/team going forward both on and, more significantly, off the lax field.
Dip&Dunk

Post by Dip&Dunk »

kramerica.inc wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2019 12:11 am Mediocrity has become the new norm with Navy lax. And I think using the term “mediocrity” is a stretch.
Losing record, loss to Army, no conference playoffs much less NCAA tournament much less a win in the tournament much less a home game much less a shot at final four. Reality speaks for itself.

It will get only more difficult with new camp revenue rules and same coaching leadership. Can I request “come around” wake up call in 2022?
NoLeft

Post by NoLeft »

Nope. Blue Jays just earned their way into NCAA's with win over #2 Maryland. Remember, all JHU has to do to get in to the NCAA's is finish .500 or better....
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

NoLeft wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2019 11:21 am

Nope. Blue Jays just earned their way into NCAA's with win over #2 Maryland. Remember, all JHU has to do to get in to the NCAA's is finish .500 or better....
Possibly true. Really going to depend on how many favored teams get upset in their conference tourneys, thus eating into the number of available at large bids.
SonnySide

Post by SonnySide »

So what happens next? I would imagine scoring goals is going to be even more of an issue in 2020 without Torain and Wade. Any Napsters coming in that can make an immediate impact on O?
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

The absence or 6 and 8 on O may very well force the hand of the staff to get back to the drawing board and evolve into more motion offense. The returning attack, coupled with 22, 11, 31, and 5 and some others that rise to the challenge “should” produce and complimentary 6 players on the field at any given time.

I believe there are close to 20 hitting the yard this summer. We should be in god shape.

The D, GK, LSM, and FO all return battle tested.

Coach Sowell and staff have some serious pondering and planning. God....I hope they entertain some serious O schematic changes. Let em play within a high motion standard and develop chemistry during EVERY practice.

#Onward
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
HealthyDebate

Post by HealthyDebate »

I believe this is going to be an interesting summer for the Navy Staff and the team. Will the band break up (ie the staff)? Will Coach Wellner, Camposa, or Parks depart for different pastures (either by being sent out to pasture OR finding a new one to frolock in).
Does Coach Sowell look for a new start? Their could be a lot of turn over this summer!

Will the Navy players head off into the summer (and their cruises) with a chip on their shoulder and hunger in their heart?

What incoming Plebe will emerge in January to hit the field with all the other returners. In reading IL's commitment link Some local Annapolis talent are direct's, a few NAPSTERS that could bring some much needed assistance to the young (ish) midfield.

Lets DEBATE the above!
CTlaxer12

Post by CTlaxer12 »

First time back on the boards in a while since the LP days. The Navy thread seems like a good place to start anew. After observing Navy from a distance this season and going back several others, I am more curious about the Navy faithful's thought on the direction of the program at large. After year 8 of the current regime I am seeing a lot of the same issues and reading recycled concerns. After year 8, was this the level of play and results expected by the Navy administration and supporters, especially given the unceremonious end to the prior regime? What would the Navy faithful do differently, or would any of you recommend drastic changes in the offseason? Has the current regime had enough time or is time up?

I ask the questions insofar as Navy is a program I have great deal of respect for as I do for their loyal followers. Here's hoping for brighter days ahead and a return to prominence.
Tecumseh

Post by Tecumseh »

HealthyDebate wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 7:57 am I believe this is going to be an interesting summer for the Navy Staff and the team. Will the band break up (ie the staff)? Will Coach Wellner, Camposa, or Parks depart for different pastures (either by being sent out to pasture OR finding a new one to frolock in).
Does Coach Sowell look for a new start? Their could be a lot of turn over this summer!

Will the Navy players head off into the summer (and their cruises) with a chip on their shoulder and hunger in their heart?

What incoming Plebe will emerge in January to hit the field with all the other returners. In reading IL's commitment link Some local Annapolis talent are direct's, a few NAPSTERS that could bring some much needed assistance to the young (ish) midfield.

Lets DEBATE the above!
Excellent post Healthy :

1st and foremost we all want to wish the Firsties the best in both the fleet and in the Corps ! They have been a delight to watch.

I personally believe the current staff understands that the AD doesn't give 2 crapolos about MLAX and since he has Cindy and a winning WLAX program , that is just fine with him .

Coach Wellner is a very good coach and very stand up guy and should be a head coach some where IHMO . Composa is polite , thoughtful and has a rich lacrosse history and would be an addition to any program .

The current Head Coach is living comfortably in an amazing home in Glen Bernie , is one of the highest paid coaches in d1. Doubtful he would even consider leaving on his own .

I hope the turn over starts sooner that later much like football did . The fact of the matter is 7th place , no PL tourney , Lost to Army , no NCAA Tourney . Our Mids deserve so much better .

FORE

"T"
So live your life that the fear of death can never enter your heart. Trouble no one about their religion; respect others in their view, and demand that they respect yours. Love your life, perfect your life, beautify all things in your life.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”