Re: Cornell 2023

Post by 10stone5 »

Hit the hot man,

don’t look him off,

like Johns Hopkins yesterday 8-)
CU88a

Post by CU88a »

Yale and Cornell are meeting in the semifinals of the Ivy League Tournament for the second straight season. Last year at Brown, the Bulldogs avenged a regular season loss with a 14-11 victory over the Big Red.

https://yalebulldogs.com/news/2023/5/4/ ... semis.aspx
CU77

Post by CU77 »

Cornell can end up at #4 in RPI by winning the ILT. Past opponents continuing to win in their conference tournaments (Army, Albany) will also help.

sim1.jpg
sim1.jpg (72.4 KiB) Viewed 1078 times
sim.jpg
sim.jpg (78.26 KiB) Viewed 1078 times
MoralTerpitude

Post by MoralTerpitude »

CU77 wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 12:04 am Blake, Lombardi, and either Holmes or Luzzi seems the most common config now. I don't recall seeing Piatelli at midfield.
Thanks. Thought Piatelli was an attackman, but obviously he’s not part of Cornell’s starting trio. Nice to have an option like him as a fourth attackman.

Cornell has a pretty strong 9 on offense, plus some additional depth. That should bode well for the NCAA tournament. Buczek seems to do a great job building offensive depth.
MoralTerpitude

Post by MoralTerpitude »

CU77 wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 2:51 pm Cornell can end up at #4 in RPI by winning the ILT. Past opponents continuing to win in their conference tournaments (Army, Albany) will also help.

sim1.jpg

sim.jpg
Yeah… it’s looking like Maryland and Cornell will end up as 4/5 or 5/4 in the RPI, depending on how the games this weekend turn out. If that holds with the seeding, unfortunately they’ll be set to collide in the quarters.
CU77

Post by CU77 »

Well since I think the Terps are the weakest of the top 4, I'd be happy to see them in the quarters!

But I think Hop and PSU, by virtue of their stronger schedules, may get seeded over Cornell even if Cornell is RPI #4.
MoralTerpitude

Post by MoralTerpitude »

CU77 wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 5:08 pm Well since I think the Terps are the weakest of the top 4, I'd be happy to see them in the quarters!

But I think Hop and PSU, by virtue of their stronger schedules, may get seeded over Cornell even if Cornell is RPI #4.
I think the Terps are a team no one is going to want to see in the tournament. They have steadily improved on offense, as they’ve been breaking in several freshman and redshirts into their complex offense. They were shooting in the mid-20’s early in the season, and have progressively been getting better. The last five games they’ve shot in the thirties, including yesterday at 41%. Their off-ball play and passing is starting to look like last year. And Erksa is looking like the next great Terp attackman.

And this is a team that in midseason beat UVa at UVa, and that ND needed a crease goal to beat them in double OT. They are playing much better now than they were then.

If you had asked me at midseason who would win between Cornell and the Terps if they met in the tournament, I would have said 80% Cornell. Now it’s probably a toss-up.
faircornell

Post by faircornell »

Yale playing very well. Tough to stand up to.
Last edited by faircornell on Fri May 05, 2023 7:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FannOLax

Post by FannOLax »

I really hope that Staub will be playing again very soon. He's a good young player, and injuries just stink.
CU88a

Post by CU88a »

Saves and faceoff's telling the story
Saves : CU 4 Yale 12
FO: CU 7-28
Bigdawg69

Post by Bigdawg69 »

Little too late to finally show up
faircornell

Post by faircornell »

Well done to Yale. Great game Paquette. Good Q4 fighting spirit by the Big Red.
faircornell

Post by faircornell »

Lager

Post by Lager »

I think this loss will be good for Cornell. I felt the settled play was relatively evenly matched. The difference today was Yale dominating the face off X and the Yale goalie outplaying Ierlan. Yale creating fast break goals off the face off X was maybe the biggest difference. Cornell defense was actually solid in settled play and 38 Dooley held his own. It was kind of just a crazy, hectic game and I am kind of OK with this loss. Some random thoughts:

-the craziest thing might be Cornell could have easily gotten the game to 19-16 and then things would have gotten really interesting. The crossbar seemed to be Cornells biggest enemy at times today. Kirst nearly had 6 or 7 goals.

-I think I am hoping Yale gets placed in Cornells corner of the NCAA bracket.

-Cornell needs to do a better job winning those 50/50 ground balls off the face off.

-At times the shooting was inconsistent. Cornell probably should have had 18-20 goals.
joewillie78

Post by joewillie78 »

Same MO as last year(we hope). Lose in ILT and then go on a run in NCAA'S. I hope they get a seed and a home game but not so sure now. Last year, I believe they were a 7 and made it to the finals so hoping for at best a 7 but would gladly take an 8.
Gobigred
Joewillie78
faircornell

Post by faircornell »

Lager wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 8:39 pm I think this loss will be good for Cornell. I felt the settled play was relatively evenly matched. The difference today was Yale dominating the face off X and the Yale goalie outplaying Ierlan. Yale creating fast break goals off the face off X was maybe the biggest difference. Cornell defense was actually solid in settled play and 38 Dooley held his own. It was kind of just a crazy, hectic game and I am kind of OK with this loss. Some random thoughts:

-the craziest thing might be Cornell could have easily gotten the game to 19-16 and then things would have gotten really interesting. The crossbar seemed to be Cornells biggest enemy at times today. Kirst nearly had 6 or 7 goals.

-Cornell needs to do a better job winning those 50/50 ground balls off the face off.

-At times the shooting was inconsistent. Cornell probably should have had 18-20 goals.
I agree with your analysis. While you can't blame this on the refs, there were some unusual calls. Before they took Live Stats down, Cornell had 12 caused turnovers. Ground balls were even. Quite a motivator for the next game.
Lager

Post by Lager »

faircornell wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 8:52 pm
Lager wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 8:39 pm I think this loss will be good for Cornell. I felt the settled play was relatively evenly matched. The difference today was Yale dominating the face off X and the Yale goalie outplaying Ierlan. Yale creating fast break goals off the face off X was maybe the biggest difference. Cornell defense was actually solid in settled play and 38 Dooley held his own. It was kind of just a crazy, hectic game and I am kind of OK with this loss. Some random thoughts:

I agree with your analysis. While you can't blame this on the refs, there were some unusual calls. Before they took Live Stats down, Cornell had 12 caused turnovers. Ground balls were even. Quite a motivator for the next game.
The announcers were very critical of the ref when cornell got it to 19-14 with plenty of time left in the game and 3 vs 2 penalty face off, but the ref was taking too long to blow the whistle on the face off. There were a few other unusual calls. It was a wild game and I think Cornell will use it to work out some kinks with their defensive strategy, both in settled and unsettled situations. I don't see this team giving up 20 goals again. A yale rematch in the NCAA tournament would be a very different game than what we saw tonight.
Lager

Post by Lager »

Also worth noting that 2018 Yale used a loss to Cornell in the ILT to springboard them to a national championship...perhaps things will come full circle this year
blue angels

Post by blue angels »

Lager wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 9:02 pm
faircornell wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 8:52 pm

The announcers were very critical of the ref when cornell got it to 19-14 with plenty of time left in the game and 3 vs 2 penalty face off, but the ref was taking too long to blow the whistle on the face off. There were a few other unusual calls. It was a wild game and I think Cornell will use it to work out some kinks with their defensive strategy, both in settled and unsettled situations. I don't see this team giving up 20 goals again. A yale rematch in the NCAA tournament would be a very different game than what we saw tonight.
Sorry, but highly doubtful you see Yale again this season. Next year, yes.
VeryRustyRed

Post by VeryRustyRed »

Just returned home from a disappointing evening in Morningside Heights. Credit to Yale; they turned their season around.
I've posted several times that Cornell benefited from losing game 1 in last year's ILT. However, I don't feel particularly positive now, at least at the moment.
Today:
-15 goals on offense - certainly no issue with that. Even more so, given far fewer offensive touches, several pipes, and a great 3rd quarter by Yale's goalie (including two helmet saves).

Yale put up 22...
Faceoffs had an inexorable impact on Cornell's defensive performance. It resulted in a crucial imbalance in possession time (and touches), when it counted most. This exposed Cornell defensive issues/weaknesses.
-Yale took very few (if any) north-south dodges
-Yale rarely dodged against Adler or Follows
-Mostly wing dodges and redodges & long arc corner dodges (first exposing speed issues in the Army game). Tough day for 43...
-6 goals off of fast break faceoff wins
-2 empty net goals by that little p---k Johnson. Cornell didn't go there when they put up 20 in New Haven.
-I was surprised we didn't go zone in the 1st half (as was done effectively at times in New Haven). They tried once but was screwed up by a false reset. When they went zone in the 2nd half, Yale beat it on back door cuts + ball watching.
-Cornell started using O-mids in the 4th as FO wings; not sure if Coach B did it for offense or because our regular wings were exhausted.
Other:
The refs had no bearing on the game. However, there were some dreadfully bad missed reset calls, all to Cornell's detriment. The worst of which came late in the 4th. Not to mention the timing issue on FO starts, previously mentioned. Buczek was incensed throughout.
***As expected, the boys never gave up. They need to heel up now.
***CU77 - what is the impact of today's L on a possible #8 seed? Or is that now a lost cause?

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”