Long Island 2023

HS Boys Lacrosse
kr522

Re: Long Island 2023

Post by kr522 »

LI13 wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 10:57 am
kr522 wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 11:50 pm It’s easy to write off the first quarter as a “bad quarter”, but it wasn’t flukey, GC hustled harder, played stronger defense, Manhasset took a few tough penalties, etc. Fortunately Manhasset never panicked. Being pushed like this & showing resilience will help them in the playoffs.
That's the key...that and having the best fogo on Long Island!
Have you watched MtS at all? I haven’t but on one of the Manhasset telecasts they said Spallina went multi-game stretch (vs Bayport and others) winning 90%+ of face offs. This could be a very interesting showdown building up for LIC
LI13

Post by LI13 »

kr522 wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 11:06 am
LI13 wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 10:57 am
kr522 wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 11:50 pm It’s easy to write off the first quarter as a “bad quarter”, but it wasn’t flukey, GC hustled harder, played stronger defense, Manhasset took a few tough penalties, etc. Fortunately Manhasset never panicked. Being pushed like this & showing resilience will help them in the playoffs.
That's the key...that and having the best fogo on Long Island!
Have you watched MtS at all? I haven’t but on one of the Manhasset telecasts they said Spallina went multi-game stretch (vs Bayport and others) winning 90%+ of face offs. This could be a very interesting showdown building up for LIC
I've seen bits and pieces of some games. Yeah, he's really good. I'd be surprised if he takes more than half from Girard though.

I would say Manhasset should be a small favorite against Mount Sinai, but I would not be surprised if Mount Sinai won.
kr522

Post by kr522 »

Both team undefeated against strong competition, each has taken one LIC in an “upset” over the other the past 2 years….to me this is the matchup of the season. I know a lot of people are looking forward to the Chaminade game coming up, and that’ll be fun plus another great test of where the team is, but for me that’s all part of the buildup for the LIC. Manhasset used to winning FO 90% of the time, even 55% would feel like a different game for them
Finster

Post by Finster »

wahoomurf wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 1:28 pm
Finster wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2023 6:53 pm
JoeMauer89 wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2023 5:28 pm
Finster wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2023 5:27 pm
JoeMauer89 wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2023 5:22 pm
kr522 wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2023 5:19 pm 6-6 after 3. I only caught the 3rd period so far, MHS is 13 for 13 on the face offs, pretty incredible that GC is tied and has been leading most of the game
Manhasset really gaining steam here!

Joe

GC used to have a FOGO not long ago, James Sullivan, who was money on 90% of his high school face offs. Does manhasset now have one? Who? Where’s he headed for college?
Cal Girard. Duke.

Joe

Thx!
Finster: I thought Lars was going after that FOGO form Long Island. He's as good as it gets. More headaches for HOOS?

I post a lot about UVA because I live closest to the school, but honestly I don’t really know the team that well to comment on recruiting.

What I will say now that I’m here on a long island high school thread is, I think I could field a D1 team simply by recruiting from two Long Island schools: St Anthony and Chaminade. Those two schools produce incredible D1 talent.
fordmaddoxford

Post by fordmaddoxford »

LIC’S will be contested at Stony Brook; so edge to Mt. Sinai there, if only because they won’t be at Shuart-Manhasset’s home away from home. Those two vied for the LIC some years ago at Stony Brook and Mt. Sinai gave Manhasset a tougher than expected tussle.
And that’s assuming both are there which is not fair to several other quality teams in the running.
Girard has an uncanny ability to learn and adapt to his opposite number on the fly.

Any streaming intel on Rumson-Fair Haven game?
Last edited by fordmaddoxford on Thu May 04, 2023 2:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kr522

Post by kr522 »

They’re lacrosse factories for college….probably around 3000 boys to draw from between the two of them, and I’d guess an abnormally high percentage are athletically inclined. the cost of private schooling is remarkably affordable compared to the expense of a NYC private school so it’s easy to draw kids in with the quality of education and sports they provide. That said, if you go to a game you’ll see a bench that is stacked 40 deep with almost all Seniors and Juniors. I wonder if the tide will ever turn, where more kids decide to go back to their public school for more playing time….the public school educations are free and pretty damn good in most towns
kr522

Post by kr522 »

fordmaddoxford wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 2:13 pm LIC’S will be contested at Stony Brook; so edge to Mt. Sinai there, if only because they won’t be at Shuart-Manhasset’s home away from home. Those two vied for the LIC some years ago at Stony Brook and Mt. Sinai gave Manhasset a tougher than expected tussle.

Girard has an uncanny ability to learn and adapt to his opposite number on the fly.

Yeah the “home field” does seem to have some influence on the games even though neither team actually plays games on that field during the regular season. Are you referring to the game in 09? I’m only aware of that one, which Manhasset won pretty handily, and the two recent tilts.
fordmaddoxford

Post by fordmaddoxford »

OK, Got it. These teams have played 4 times for LIC.

Mt. Sinai was the Suffolk rep in C in:

2008 Defeated Cold Spring Harbor 9-3. Won State
2009 Lost to Manhasset 10-6
2021 Defeated Manhasset 14-13
2022 Lost to Manhasset 12-7

Mt. Sinai was Suffolk rep in B in 2015:

Lost to Manhasset 7-6

That’s the one I had in mind. Manhasset went on to win State in ‘09 and ‘22 and lose to Victor in the Final in 2015.
Last edited by fordmaddoxford on Thu May 04, 2023 4:13 pm, edited 5 times in total.
LI13

Post by LI13 »

kr522 wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 2:23 pm They’re lacrosse factories for college….probably around 3000 boys to draw from between the two of them, and I’d guess an abnormally high percentage are athletically inclined. the cost of private schooling is remarkably affordable compared to the expense of a NYC private school so it’s easy to draw kids in with the quality of education and sports they provide. That said, if you go to a game you’ll see a bench that is stacked 40 deep with almost all Seniors and Juniors. I wonder if the tide will ever turn, where more kids decide to go back to their public school for more playing time….the public school educations are free and pretty damn good in most towns
It always strikes me how many kids go there to sit on the bench. And how many great prospects give up two varsity seasons to play JV (just to think of 3 off the top of my head, Ryan Lukacovic had a big year as an eighth grader at Syosset, then went to Chaminade and played JV...Brennan O'Neill put up quite a few points at Bay Shore as an eighth grader before going to St Anthony's, and current St Anthony's attackman Jack Ponzio had 40+ points as an eighth grader at Connetquot).

I believe we have one kid who transferred back from St Anthony's, but it's surprising there aren't more who come back for playing time.
kr522

Post by kr522 »

LI13 wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 3:02 pm
kr522 wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 2:23 pm They’re lacrosse factories for college….probably around 3000 boys to draw from between the two of them, and I’d guess an abnormally high percentage are athletically inclined. the cost of private schooling is remarkably affordable compared to the expense of a NYC private school so it’s easy to draw kids in with the quality of education and sports they provide. That said, if you go to a game you’ll see a bench that is stacked 40 deep with almost all Seniors and Juniors. I wonder if the tide will ever turn, where more kids decide to go back to their public school for more playing time….the public school educations are free and pretty damn good in most towns
It always strikes me how many kids go there to sit on the bench. And how many great prospects give up two varsity seasons to play JV (just to think of 3 off the top of my head, Ryan Lukacovic had a big year as an eighth grader at Syosset, then went to Chaminade and played JV...Brennan O'Neill put up quite a few points at Bay Shore as an eighth grader before going to St Anthony's, and current St Anthony's attackman Jack Ponzio had 40+ points as an eighth grader at Connetquot).

I believe we have one kid who transferred back from St Anthony's, but it's surprising there aren't more who come back for playing time.
Manhasset had the 2010 team where two kids transferred back from Chaminade, Cook (A) and Lawler (D), and both got to start and were key figures in an undefeated state championship. They also beat Chaminade that year. It struck me as far preferable to sitting on the bench for the Flyers as a next-man-in kind of role, and I always hoped that would open the floodgates, but it’s the only time I remember kids transferring back (I’m sure there are others I don’t know of)
kr522

Post by kr522 »

fordmaddoxford wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 3:00 pm OK, Got it. These teams have played 4 times for LIC.

Mt. Sinai was the Suffolk rep in C in:

2008 Defeated Cold Spring Harbor 9-3. Won State
2009 Lost to Manhasset 10-6
2021 Defeated Manhasset 14-13
2022 Lost to Manhasset 12-7

Mt. Sinai was Suffolk rep in B in 2015:

Lost to Manhasset 7-6

That’s the one I had in mind. Manhasset went on to win State in ‘09 and ‘22 and lose to Victor in the Final in 2015.
Thx, I forgot about 2015….so this would be 5x over a 15 year period in C and B if both get there. Fun rivalry brewing, so long as we keep winning
fordmaddoxford

Post by fordmaddoxford »

Instead we had a guy who actually scored a goal in a State Championship game as an 8th grader and then goes to Jericho Tpk. to wait his turn in high school. One thing which can’t be completely discounted is the part religion may play. I have personal knowledge of cases where that was a factor.
flyerfan17

Post by flyerfan17 »

kr522 wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 4:20 pm

Manhasset had the 2010 team where two kids transferred back from Chaminade, Cook (A) and Lawler (D), and both got to start and were key figures in an undefeated state championship. They also beat Chaminade that year. It struck me as far preferable to sitting on the bench for the Flyers as a next-man-in kind of role, and I always hoped that would open the floodgates, but it’s the only time I remember kids transferring back (I’m sure there are others I don’t know of)
Ryan Young in 2007 transferred back to Manhasset for 1 year before starring for Maryland. Manhasset was 13-4 that year so it obviously wasn't as successful for the team as 2010
JoeMauer89

Post by JoeMauer89 »

flyerfan17 wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 5:09 pm
kr522 wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 4:20 pm

Ryan Young in 2007 transferred back to Manhasset for 1 year before starring for Maryland. Manhasset was 13-4 that year so it obviously wasn't as successful for the team as 2010
You beat me to it. Ryan came back for his Senior Year in 2007. Played Football as well, was a WR and killed it the first few games, picked up a minor injury and FB season was over him as a precaution to ensure he was healthy for Lacrosse. That team couldn't get past Adam Ghitelman and CSH.

Joe
JoeMauer89

Post by JoeMauer89 »

fordmaddoxford wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 2:13 pm LIC’S will be contested at Stony Brook; so edge to Mt. Sinai there, if only because they won’t be at Shuart-Manhasset’s home away from home. Those two vied for the LIC some years ago at Stony Brook and Mt. Sinai gave Manhasset a tougher than expected tussle.
And that’s assuming both are there which is not fair to several other quality teams in the running.

Ford,

I agree about Girard. Spallina is very good, but he hasn't faced a talent like Girard yet. Even winning 60%-65% of the faceoff's is enough. Manhasset Defense is their strength. Should be a good one if//when it happens, but I still like Manhasset to come out on top.

Joe
wahoomurf

Post by wahoomurf »

Finster wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 12:22 pm
wahoomurf wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 1:28 pm
Finster wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2023 6:53 pm
JoeMauer89 wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2023 5:28 pm
Finster wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2023 5:27 pm
JoeMauer89 wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2023 5:22 pm
kr522 wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2023 5:19 pm 6-6 after 3. I only caught the 3rd period so far, MHS is 13 for 13 on the face offs, pretty incredible that GC is tied and has been leading most of the game
Manhasset really gaining steam here!

Joe

GC used to have a FOGO not long ago, James Sullivan, who was money on 90% of his high school face offs. Does manhasset now have one? Who? Where’s he headed for college?
Cal Girard. Duke.

Joe

Thx!
Finster: I thought Lars was going after that FOGO form Long Island. He's as good as it gets. More headaches for HOOS?

I post a lot about UVA because I live closest to the school, but honestly I don’t really know the team that well to comment on recruiting.

What I will say now that I’m here on a long island high school thread is, I think I could field a D1 team simply by recruiting from two Long Island schools: St Anthony and Chaminade. Those two schools produce incredible D1 talent.
Spot on. Take a look at the Duke and ND rosters. Both have plenty of guys from St. A's and Chaminade. Both are consistently in the mix for the Championship.
JoeMauer89

Post by JoeMauer89 »

I'm not sure the Rumson game is going to be streaming. I just found its being played on the J3 Football Practice Turf Field. 100 Sutphen Road. 6PM Start.

Joe
fordmaddoxford

Post by fordmaddoxford »

Apparently no streaming. Coming, as it does, between GC and Chaminade, it looks like a potential trap game. RFH not a bad team.
kr522

Post by kr522 »

fordmaddoxford wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 9:55 am Apparently no streaming. Coming, as it does, between GC and Chaminade, it looks like a potential trap game. RFH not a bad team.
Right now Manhasset gets everyone’s best game, they’re a benchmark game for every other team
wahoomurf

Post by wahoomurf »

FINSTER et al. ESPN U will televise the St. Anthony's vs Chaminade game on Wednesday May 10th @5:00 P.M.

Return to “HS BOYS LACROSSE”