SCOTUS

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.
OCanada

Re: SCOTUS

Post by OCanada »

Are you referencing Justice Thomas who gets welfare from a billionaire and his equally corrupt wife who had money channeled to her under the table?
SCLaxAttack

Post by SCLaxAttack »

cradleandshoot wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 9:04 am
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 8:22 am
cradleandshoot wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 6:52 am
SCLaxAttack wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 1:04 pm
cradleandshoot wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 12:58 pm What is that term invented by Al Gore... No controlling legal authority?? The Supremes have been granted the power to do pretty much what ever they want to do. Roberts will never acquiesce to letting the Dems compose a code of conduct for the court. As far as justice Thomas is concerned, he found his own path towards reparations. Y'all should be happy for him. :D
This isn't a party thing. The proof to that would be the fit hitting the shan if Soros was taking Sotomayor on six figure whirlwind trips. Unless of course if that would be OK with Republicans.
Of course it is a party thing. Now the door to what bennies the members of the SCOTUS have received over the years will swing both ways. IMO there is a very good reason why justice Roberts doesn't want to venture down this road. He already knows the answer to the question. :D
I don't understand.

We should ALL be concerned with the loss of confidence in the Court's ethics.

But right now, that concern seems to be predominantly getting expressed by one party, though there are a few voices from traditional conservatives expressing concern as well.

It should be non-partisan.
It should not matter whether the Justice is "conservative" or "liberal".

What do you think Roberts "already knows"... other than his own wife has made $10 million in fees?
That those are going to be examined for conflicts?
We will all have to wait for the MSM to complete their deep dive into all 9 of the SCOTUS justices. The focus has been on one justice. As far as I'm concerned this one justice should simply claim reparations.
Like saying one thief can’t be prosecuted until you find them all.
AOD

Post by AOD »

a fan wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 10:31 pm
Seacoaster(1) wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 10:04 pm “The idea that Leonard Leo, who has a passionate ideological interest in how the court rules and who has worked hard for years to advance that interest, could pick up the phone and generate substantial compensation to Virginia Thomas, which also benefits Clarence Thomas — that idea is bad for the country, the court and the rule of law,” Gillers said. “It’s not the way the Supreme Court should do its business or allow its business to be done.”
All they had to do was believe Anita Hill. She tried to tell us what a POS and immoral man we were dealing with......we didn't want to hear it, apparently.

Oh well. Nothing we can do now.
You're 100% right. Thomas neutered all of them then with the "high tech lynching" defense. Joe Biden, as chair of the Senate committee, is foremost to blame for cowering.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

AOD wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 9:50 am
Seacoaster(1) wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 10:04 pm “The idea that Leonard Leo, who has a passionate ideological interest in how the court rules and who has worked hard for years to advance that interest, could pick up the phone and generate substantial compensation to Virginia Thomas, which also benefits Clarence Thomas — that idea is bad for the country, the court and the rule of law,” Gillers said. “It’s not the way the Supreme Court should do its business or allow its business to be done.”
All they had to do was believe Anita Hill. She tried to tell us what a POS and immoral man we were dealing with......we didn't want to hear it, apparently.

You're 100% right. Thomas neutered all of them then with the "high tech lynching" defense. Joe Biden, as chair of the Senate committee, is foremost to blame for cowering.
I'm sure a lot of Senators and former Senators regret their call on Thomas. Undoubtedly including Biden.

Decades before "me-too", sense of hope for more diversity on Court, etc.

But that's 3 decades ago...the issue is what do the current Senators do?
Even more importantly (hopefully) is the question as to whether the Court as a whole has the guts to make hard decisions when it comes to policing themselves. They should step up, but will they?

And then back to the Senators if they do not.

And then to voters...

Meanwhile, it remains disgraceful that Congress balks at its own regulation, stock trading etc.
But people did go to jail when they were found to have taken trips paid for by lobbyist Abramoff...it's not a close call as to whether its ethical.
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

SCLaxAttack wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 9:49 am
cradleandshoot wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 12:58 pm What is that term invented by Al Gore... No controlling legal authority?? The Supremes have been granted the power to do pretty much what ever they want to do. Roberts will never acquiesce to letting the Dems compose a code of conduct for the court. As far as justice Thomas is concerned, he found his own path towards reparations. Y'all should be happy for him. :D
This isn't a party thing. The proof to that would be the fit hitting the shan if Soros was taking Sotomayor on six figure whirlwind trips. Unless of course if that would be OK with Republicans.
Of course it is a party thing. Now the door to what bennies the members of the SCOTUS have received over the years will swing both ways. IMO there is a very good reason why justice Roberts doesn't want to venture down this road. He already knows the answer to the question. :D
I don't understand.

But right now, that concern seems to be predominantly getting expressed by one party, though there are a few voices from traditional conservatives expressing concern as well.

What do you think Roberts "already knows"... other than his own wife has made $10 million in fees?
We will all have to wait for the MSM to complete their deep dive into all 9 of the SCOTUS justices. The focus has been on one justice. As far as I'm concerned this one justice should simply claim reparations.
There are 9 bumpkins all lined up in a row. Is Thomas the only bumpkin worthy of all of the scrutiny? You think I'm busting your balls when I say this... Justice Thomas is only claiming for himself as a black man what reparations are owed to him. If a bunch of white former slave owners want to pay him then so be it. Did Thomas do something illegal?? Thomas did not do anything that generations of politicians and judges from both sides have been doing for many years. I have to find it very curious that a bunch of pig headed white FLP liberals are going to lynch a conservative black man because he is getting what he is owed as a black man who endured every hate filled racist stereotype you all opine about every day. Justice Thomas is taking advantage of the system that does not hold him accountable. Whose fault is that??
We don't make mistakes, we have happy accidents.
Bob Ross:
runrussellrun

ethics.....

Post by runrussellrun »

ethics.......

At least the Supremes haven't been named on the Jeff Epstein list of buddies....AFTER....his guilt of child molestation.

Bill Gates....again (yup....keep ON taking his non working drugs)
Larry Summers .....loved his appearance in that Fecesbook movie with the twins....

.....and that JP morgan dude.......he loves to SNORKEL around the warmish waters of Epstein island.

So proud of Hunter......who isn't.
ILM...Independent Lives Matter
Pronouns: "we" and "suck"
SCLaxAttack

Post by SCLaxAttack »

cradleandshoot wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 10:16 am
I don't understand.

There are 9 bumpkins all lined up in a row. Is Thomas the only bumpkin worthy of all of the scrutiny? You think I'm busting your balls when I say this... Justice Thomas is only claiming for himself as a black man what reparations are owed to him. If a bunch of white former slave owners want to pay him then so be it. Did Thomas do something illegal?? Thomas did not do anything that generations of politicians and judges from both sides have been doing for many years. I have to find it very curious that a bunch of pig headed white FLP liberals are going to lynch a conservative black man because he is getting what he is owed as a black man who endured every hate filled racist stereotype you all opine about every day. Justice Thomas is taking advantage of the system that does not hold him accountable. Whose fault is that??
There comes a time in every person's life where accountability rests on one's own shoulders.
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 10:07 am

I'm sure a lot of Senators and former Senators regret their call on Thomas. Undoubtedly including Biden.

Even more importantly (hopefully) is the question as to whether the Court as a whole has the guts to make hard decisions when it comes to policing themselves. They should step up, but will they?

And then to voters...

Meanwhile, it remains disgraceful that Congress balks at its own regulation, stock trading etc.
But people did go to jail when they were found to have taken trips paid for by lobbyist Abramoff...it's not a close call as to whether its ethical.
Try as much as you want MD, you can never transform a pickle back to a cucumber. IMO justice Thomas used the high tech lynching defense to make him the justice he is today. I think he has a lot of personal resentments towards alot of folks in charge in DC today. Y'all can complain about him until the cows come home but he is one of nine who is bullet proof.
Bob Ross:
DMac

Post by DMac »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 10:07 am But that's 3 decades ago...the issue is what do the current Senators do?
Nope, don't have the guts or the want to.
No, won't step up.
Power corrupts and absolute power absolutely corrupts,
and these people damn near have absolute power and
they like it that way. Life long appointment and looked
as surely never one considering to break any kind of laws.
Nice little gig with an irresistible amount of temptation.
Not at all surprised by any of this, tip of the iceberg no doubt.
Stay tuned.
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

SCLaxAttack wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 10:24 am
I don't understand.

There comes a time in every person's life where accountability rests on one's own shoulders.
Does that same philosophy hold true for 8 other justices? I'm guessing every justice will now undergo the same anal exam that Thomas is now going through. It sure took an intense and concerted effort to dig up all this dirt on Thomas. That is all fine and dandy if the 8 other justices have to go through the same rigorous back ground check. I'm guessing we can start with justice Jackson and work backwards.
Bob Ross:
NattyBohChamps04

Post by NattyBohChamps04 »

cradleandshoot wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 10:35 am Does that same philosophy hold true for 8 other justices? I'm guessing every justice will now undergo the same anal exam that Thomas is now going through.
Yes. And they are. You think right wing news doesn't wanna dig up dirt on the other justices?

Do you think Thomas should be kicked to the curb? Others if found to be as corrupt?
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

+1

... you can go after the scumbags he has been corrupted by. Laws have very likely been broken. These people don't want to be in the news. Most of all keep the POS in the news, day and night for the rest of their hopefully short miserable lives. Keep the social pressure on all of them.
Image STAND AGAINST FASCISM
ggait

Post by ggait »

Does that same philosophy hold true for 8 other justices? I'm guessing every justice will now undergo the same anal exam that Thomas is now going through.
False.

Read the recent NY Times article, for example, on all the stuff swirling around the renaming of Scalia Law School at George Mason. Several of the lib judges involved in sketch stuff their.

But clearly there's more action on the rightie side and has been for many years.

As I know from personal expeience, The Federalist Society/Leonard Leo industrial complex is way beyond anything we've ever seen before. Recall that Trump probably got elected in 2016 because he agreed to only appoint SCOTUS judges approved by The Federalist Society.
Last edited by ggait on Fri May 05, 2023 11:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Boycott stupid. Country over party.
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

NattyBohChamps04 wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 10:58 am
cradleandshoot wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 10:35 am Does that same philosophy hold true for 8 other justices? I'm guessing every justice will now undergo the same anal exam that Thomas is now going through.
Yes. And they are. You think right wing news doesn't wanna dig up dirt on the other justices?

Do you think Thomas should be kicked to the curb? Others if found to be as corrupt?
Thomas should be kicked to the curb if he knowingly broke the law that doesn't exist. The head honcho of the Supremes does not want to touch this issue with a 10 foot pole. I wonder why???
Bob Ross:
runrussellrun

Post by runrussellrun »

Joe Biden had the last laugh, tho, didn't he :lol:

Or, did Biden push is "powder days are good" racist legislation BEFORE the Thomas hearings. Joe sure showed us what "high tech" lyinching is all about, now didn't he.

Hunter didn't get convicted/charged with any crimes..........

equally corrupt? just wow. No one knows corruption like a Hopkins man.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

cradleandshoot wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 10:26 am

And then to voters...

Try as much as you want MD, you can never transform a pickle back to a cucumber. IMO justice Thomas used the high tech lynching defense to make him the justice he is today. I think he has a lot of personal resentments towards alot of folks in charge in DC today. Y'all can complain about him until the cows come home but he is one of nine who is bullet proof.
Let's lose the "bulletproof" analogy, as unfortunately, no one is.

I think the odds of removal by impeachment or stepping down are below 1%, though that means the classic "you're saying I have a chance?" remains. Would need 16 R's, so ain't gonna happen....but this keeps getting worse and worse, so if actual criminal activity has happened, never know.

But I don't think claiming "high tech lynching" holds any sway any more, probably won't again in our lifetimes. Just a raw political power issue now.

That all said, I don't think ALL of the Justices are corrupt POS, indeed I expect most of them, maybe only with the exception of Alito, are deeply disturbed by this set of ethical revelations and what it means for their institution. Perhaps in varying degrees, I think there's likely some real self-reflection, both institutionally and personally, going on among the Justices and a desire to find a path that restores public trust.

Roberts seems to have failed that test in the immediate moment but I hold out some hope that as the revelations pile up he'll work with others to put in place a much more clear set of rules and consequences.

And meanwhile, the increased "sunlight" on specific transgressions is going to continue until that's pretty well exhausted and the Justices, at least most of them, will be trying to avoid such going forward...a good thing.

But if this all blows over and they galavant away as if nothing happened, that's incredibly bad for our democracy if not responded to electorally.

I'd expect it to matter in 2024 and beyond, ultimately with major Court reform insisted upon by a Congress heavily dominated by progressives. It won't be enough to simply appoint liberal Justices upon the death of the right wingers, they'll increase the size of the Court and hopefully institute ggaits wish of term limits.
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

... obviously true. They have been for some time now. Efforts redoubled I am sure. Not a lot there I am guessing.
runrussellrun

Post by runrussellrun »

cradleandshoot wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 11:12 am

Thomas should be kicked to the curb if he knowingly broke the law that doesn't exist. The head honcho of the Supremes does not want to touch this issue with a 10 foot pole. I wonder why???
Justice Scalia died, where, again?

it's not like the Supreme Court voted, 8-1, to have humans forced sterilization. Buck vs. Bell IS still law.

What IS it about Harvard, Eugenics, Nazi's and the Supreme court ruling on things....

carry on....nothing to C hear.

https://lawblogs.uc.edu/ihrlr/2021/05/2 ... ed-states/
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 11:16 am
cradleandshoot wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 10:26 am

And then to voters...

Let's lose the "bulletproof" analogy, as unfortunately, no one is.

I think the odds of removal by impeachment or stepping down are below 1%, though that means the classic "you're saying I have a chance?" remains. Would need 16 R's, so ain't gonna happen....but this keeps getting worse and worse, so if actual criminal activity has happened, never know.

But I don't think claiming "high tech lynching" holds any sway any more, probably won't again in our lifetimes. Just a raw political power issue now.

That all said, I don't think ALL of the Justices are corrupt POS, indeed I expect most of them, maybe only with the exception of Alito, are deeply disturbed by this set of ethical revelations and what it means for their institution. Perhaps in varying degrees, I think there's likely some real self-reflection, both institutionally and personally, going on among the Justices and a desire to find a path that restores public trust.

Roberts seems to have failed that test in the immediate moment but I hold out some hope that as the revelations pile up he'll work with others to put in place a much more clear set of rules and consequences.

And meanwhile, the increased "sunlight" on specific transgressions is going to continue until that's pretty well exhausted and the Justices, at least most of them, will be trying to avoid such going forward...a good thing.

But if this all blows over and they galavant away as if nothing happened, that's incredibly bad for our democracy if not responded to electorally.

I'd expect it to matter in 2024 and beyond, ultimately with major Court reform insisted upon by a Congress heavily dominated by progressives. It won't be enough to simply appoint liberal Justices upon the death of the right wingers, they'll increase the size of the Court and hopefully institute ggaits wish of term limits.
Why so quick to lose the bulletproof analogy? There are 9 justices sitting in the SCOTUS that answer to no controlling legal authority. You seem to believe that reality is going to change. Justice Roberts refused to go in front of a Senate panel that wanted his chestnuts roasting on a roaring fire. Roberts may not like Thomas on many levels but he does have his back.
Bob Ross:
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

I don't understand.

... the naivete of our infallible founders who wrote the constitution (and baby Jesus if you believe he was there). :roll:

Return to “POLITICS”