Maryland 2023

D1 Mens Lacrosse
HopFan16

Re: Maryland 2023

Post by HopFan16 »

Why hasn't Schaller been playing all year? Kid is good. He's way more dynamic than Burlace IMO.

You guys wanted this one more and we were clearly complacent to have won the last one. Hope to meet again in the NCAAs.
Essexfenwick

Post by Essexfenwick »

I knew the game was over when the Hopkins international silver string submarine band played “pour some sugar on me”.

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2ouq0i
Essexfenwick

Post by Essexfenwick »

HopFan16 wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 6:04 pm Why hasn't Schaller been playing all year? Kid is good. He's way more dynamic than Burlace IMO.

You guys wanted this one more and we were clearly complacent to have won the last one. Hope to meet again in the NCAAs.
We want the crab trophy back
keno in reno

Post by keno in reno »

Like Joe B. said, not sure if Makar was on Melendez for his 2 early goals, but he completely negated him after that. Yeah, as solid as Burlace has been this season since Loyola, wow you gotta believe if Zap comes back that Makar, Zap and Schaller is a pretty dynamic defense.

Gibbons rebounded nicely after he got beat pretty easily early on; that was a nice job filling in on D. And Brennan finally, finally breaks the ice! Nice to see.
masondixonlax

Post by masondixonlax »

Solid win. Whittier looked excellent and looks like Murphy is back to himself. Michigan looking pretty dang good
ObxTerpFan

Post by ObxTerpFan »

The first few minutes I was worried, had little hope yet Tillman and the boys pulled it off.
Very nice win.
keno in reno

Post by keno in reno »

ObxTerpFan wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 8:48 pm The first few minutes I was worried, had little hope yet Tillman and the boys pulled it off.
Very nice win.
Schaller and Murphy make this a different team. Brennan scoring goals does too.
MDralphie

Post by MDralphie »

Schaller was great! But #40 Burlace isn’t going anywhere. The D as a whole was EXCELLENT!
MoralTerpitude

Post by MoralTerpitude »

jrn19 wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 8:49 pm Penn State beat Cornell H2H and currently has more Top 10 (5) and Top 20 (6) wins than anyone. They're not jumping them. The only one Cornell could conceivably jump I think is Hopkins, they have the most similar resumes in terms of wins, but even then they're a long ways back in RPI.

The 3 Big Ten teams have been pretty safely locked into the 4-6 spots for awhile as long as they kept winning and didn't drop games to the 3 below them and that's what they've done.
And… Cornell jumped PSU without even playing yet.

If they win the ILT, they are at least a 5 seed. Terps can lock up a top-4 with another win.

Edit: Damn… I think there is a really good chance Cornell and the Terps are in the same quarter of the bracket.
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

They jumped them in RPI yes, but I'm not sure the argument for taking two teams with identical resumes and picking the one who lost the H2H game against each other as the higher seed. What is Cornell's argument for being seeded above Penn State? They'd have the same number of quality wins and we saw the two teams play and Penn State won by 4 goals in Ithaca. Committee obviously can do whatever they want, but it would be very, very perplexing.

Cornell could jump above Hopkins at this point definitely. At this stage I think it's probably Maryland - 4, Penn State - 5, Cornell - 6 if they win the ILT, Hopkins 7; and then flip it if Cornell doesn't win the ILT.
MoralTerpitude

Post by MoralTerpitude »

Well, I think Michigan’s win over PSU basically screwed everything up. It knocked PSU out of the top 5 in the RPI, thus subtracting a top 5 win or loss from every other B1G team. And Maryland’s win over Hopkins, and Cornell’s potential to win the ILT, could knock Hopkins out of the top 5, supplanted by Cornell. Essentially those two results indirectly helped Cornell quite abit.

Honestly I could see it both ways. I think the committee could value the Ivy tournament championship, and have that be the tiebreaker that puts Cornell in the 5 seed. Or they could value PSU’s SoS. Guess we’ll find out.
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

The committee can't value the Ivy League tournament championship as conference tournaments aren't part of the selection criteria. and there's really nothing in their history to suggest they do. Princeton missed the ILT last year and got a 4, Cornell won the ILT in 2018 and was still seeded 8th, Hopkins beat Maryland to win the B1G Tournament in 2018 and wound up still seeded 5th (Maryland got the 1.) it's not a relevant factor

Plus, if you use laxref's RPI simulator...it would take a lot to knock Hop out of the Top 5 in RPI. Like Albany > Bryant (helps Cornell bc they beat Albany), Stony Brook > Delaware (hurts Hopkins because they beat Delaware), Army > BU (helps Cornell bc they beat Army.) They're pretty baked in there. https://pro.lacrossereference.com/selec ... tor-d1-men

Now I don't think this hurts Cornell's chances to get seeded above Hop because Hop has 2 fewer Top 20 wins in comparison to Penn State and 1 fewer compared to Maryland, Cornell winning the ILT can get them pretty much to what Hopkins has, just missing the Top 5 win but if Maryland loses to Michigan they'll also drop out of the Top 5 in RPI
Bmk2222

Post by Bmk2222 »

genghiskhanbluejay wrote: Sat Feb 11, 2023 6:30 pm Hilarious that you pompous bitches only scheduled 12 games, hope you don't get in.

Just had to dig this one up - Priceless!
Where’s this guy now…..lol
keno in reno

Post by keno in reno »

Too bad Spanos' dive didn't count; that was a beautiful goal by a flying moose. Reminded me of another great one that didn't count- Heacock's 2017 final 4 catch and dive against Denver that would have cemented the game.
masondixonlax

Post by masondixonlax »

Any new updates on Zap?

And that Long assist on the crease was beautiful
PulpExposure

Post by PulpExposure »

keno in reno wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 9:33 am Too bad Spanos' dive didn't count; that was a beautiful goal by a flying moose. Reminded me of another great one that didn't count- Heacock's 2017 final 4 catch and dive against Denver that would have cemented the game.
That was a really cool attempt. Creative and dude can fly.
keno in reno

Post by keno in reno »

masondixonlax wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 10:02 am Any new updates on Zap?

And that Long assist on the crease was beautiful
Long looks good; he seems to be playing with more confidence and figuring out where his teammates should be open for his signature skip pass. Siracusa is playing well too, and Whittier has quietly become one of their best playmakers. Been fun to watch the team's improvement since Loyola.

Hopefully they find a way to keep #55 on the field the rest of the way. Coach said Maltz wasn't feeling well, which is when Murphy took his spot. Just seems like he's more comfortable and dangerous at attack, but maybe the circumstances of a young, evolving offense early in the season followed by his injury prevented him from full effectiveness at middie. In 2 games at his former home field, he has 7 goals and an assist.
CU77

Post by CU77 »

jrn19 wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 12:09 am Plus, if you use laxref's RPI simulator...it would take a lot to knock Hop out of the Top 5 in RPI. Like Albany > Bryant (helps Cornell bc they beat Albany), Stony Brook > Delaware (hurts Hopkins because they beat Delaware), Army > BU (helps Cornell bc they beat Army.) They're pretty baked in there. https://pro.lacrossereference.com/selec ... tor-d1-men
Well no. Just adding expected Ivy, B1G, and Big East tournament results

sim1.jpg
sim1.jpg (72.4 KiB) Viewed 581 times

results in Hop down to #6, Cornell at #4:

sim.jpg
sim.jpg (78.26 KiB) Viewed 581 times

Note that you need to click on "RPI" to order the teams by RPI instead of expected (simulated) seed.
masondixonlax

Post by masondixonlax »

Missed Michigan game earlier this season. Did they just match with with terps really well, more of an off day for the terps, or a little of both. Wolverines seem to be playing really good ball at the moment but just wanted to hear from someone with little more insight on them
keno in reno

Post by keno in reno »

masondixonlax wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 12:55 pm Missed Michigan game earlier this season. Did they just match with with terps really well, more of an off day for the terps, or a little of both. Wolverines seem to be playing really good ball at the moment but just wanted to hear from someone with little more insight on them
They matched up very well the last game. Michigan's offense was, and probably still is, better than Maryland's. Most games, Maryland's defense does a great job of neutralizing key players on teams with great offenses (like UVA this year). But the Michigan game was a disaster defensively, similar to the Loyola debacle. To Michigan's credit they found all the holes in the defense and got a lot of easy looks. Their fogos are tough too. They're a tough team.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”