2023 D3 NCAA Tournament Bracket

D3 Mens Lacrosse
SixBySix

Re: 2023 D3 NCAA Tournament Bracket

Post by SixBySix »

Laxattackjack wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 10:19 pm It would have made more sense if he compared Bowdoin to messiah or bridgewater, or St Lawrence. Those are all 5 seeded teams in their conference that lost the play in game. Well, st Lawrence has a solid win or two.
Bet you $20 that St. Lawrence still has a shot at Pool A.
Laxattackjack

Post by Laxattackjack »

SixBySix wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 7:47 am
Laxattackjack wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 10:19 pm It would have made more sense if he compared Bowdoin to messiah or bridgewater, or St Lawrence. Those are all 5 seeded teams in their conference that lost the play in game. Well, st Lawrence has a solid win or two.
My mistake. St Lawrence was the 4 seed, not the 5th. And they won, so they are still alive. I will take that $20 bet that 5th seed clarkson doesn’t get a bid. The point was 5th seeded teams that didn’t get past the play in game have little to no chance advancing into the tourney.
BallBag

Post by BallBag »

Laxattackjack wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 8:06 am
SixBySix wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 7:47 am
My mistake. St Lawrence was the 4 seed, not the 5th. And they won, so they are still alive. I will take that $20 bet that 5th seed clarkson doesn’t get a bid. The point was 5th seeded teams that didn’t get past the play in game have little to no chance advancing into the tourney.
Clarkson was the 4-seed. They had the home game. St. Lawrence was the 5th... St. Lawrence now plays RIT
SpartanLaxFanatic

Post by SpartanLaxFanatic »

Fun exercise that should bring some clarity to the Pool C discussion: who are current locks to get a Pool C bid assuming these conference winners:
NESCAC: Tufts
Liberty: RIT
Centennial: Dickinson
All three of these teams if they lose would be locks to get a Pool C bid but as we have discussed these 3 leagues are guaranteed to be multi-bid leagues.
ODAC: Lynchburg
NCAC: Denison
ODAC and NCAC are the toughest one to judge at the moment, both have 2 teams worthy of NCAA bid but question if they have the resume to outduel a 3rd team from the leagues mentioned above (LL, 'CAC, CC). Geography could be the biggest benefit especially for a team like Denison/Kenyon as that would be a reason to include them over some other options.
Pool C is 10, here are locks assuming above conference champions:
Middlebury
Salisbury
CNU
Swarthmore/GBurg winner
RPI/Union Winner

Obviously that only fills up half of the field but I wanted to cover the legit GUARANTEED Pool C bids. For anyone questioning RPI, they are ranked 2nd in their region and would be a shoe in if they made the Liberty Championship.
A few teams who have helped their case in the past week since the rankings were released - St. Lawrence and Amherst. I'm pretty close to putting Amherst as a lock for the tournament after a win over regionally ranked Bowdoin but we will wait and see. Williams can really help themselves with beating Middlebury and at that point they would be a lock as well. I think there is a strong possibility that we see 4 NESCAC teams. If Union and Saint Lawrence both lose this weekend that will be an interesting battle for the 3rd spot in the regional rankings, Union holds the edge in head-to-head but Saints just picked up a high quality region win over Clarkson.
Interstingly, Swarthmore is ranked ahead of Gettysburg in the regional rankings but I still believe that the Bullets would have a greater shot at the Pool C bid if they lost as opposed to Swarthmore. Whoever loses that game will no doubt be sweating out the selection show.
If Lynchburg and W&L make it to the ODAC title that would feel like a 2 bid league as both would be picking up nice regionally ranked wins with W&L picking up a big one over HSC (who I don't think is very good but alas).
Kenyon needs to beat OWU to feel good about their pool C contention. They don't have a great resume and that win over Denison is really carrying them, if they don't make the NCAC title game I have a hard time seeing them earn a Pool C aside from for geography reasons.

Exciting weekend on tap, those were just some thoughts and insights in my opinion. Feel free to discuss.
BallBag

Post by BallBag »

Great outlook, Spartan... Thanks for sharing. If you're a D3 lax fan, exciting the way it will play out this weekend...
Laxattackjack

Post by Laxattackjack »

I agree with most of this. Some things I would throw out. As you said. 10 spots and basically 4 locks. M
Salisbury
CNU
Centennial runner up
NASCAC runner up

The next group I think would be
NASCAC 3rd
ODAC 2nd
Liberty 2nd

That is the 7 that most can agree with.

For the last three. I think the centennial 3rd is in. No matter who it is, they have better regional than other remaining teams.

That leaves two spots. These will depend on upsets in the finals. But teams like Kenyon with 3-1 regional and only one loss, have to be a strong contender vs a 4th seed NASCAC with. 3-4 regional record.
Beyond Kenyon, I think a 3rd place Liberty with a close semifinal will have a chance.

So the final 2 I think are down to
4th place NASCAC
3rd place liberty
2nd place NCAC
The12lov3

Post by The12lov3 »

Laxattackjack wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 3:31 pm I agree with most of this. Some things I would throw out. As you said. 10 spots and basically 4 locks. M
Salisbury
CNU
Centennial runner up
NASCAC runner up

The next group I think would be
NASCAC 3rd
ODAC 2nd
Liberty 2nd

That is the 7 that most can agree with.

For the last three. I think the centennial 3rd is in. No matter who it is, they have better regional than other remaining teams.

That leaves two spots. These will depend on upsets in the finals. But teams like Kenyon with 3-1 regional and only one loss, have to be a strong contender vs a 4th seed NASCAC with. 3-4 regional record.
Beyond Kenyon, I think a 3rd place Liberty with a close semifinal will have a chance.

So the final 2 I think are down to
4th place NASCAC
3rd place liberty
2nd place NCAC
Is NASCAC like the GROY
ah23

Post by ah23 »

SpartanLaxFanatic wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 1:55 pm For anyone questioning RPI, they are ranked 2nd in their region and would be a shoe in if they made the Liberty Championship.
I have a hard time buying their resume as a lock if Williams/Amherst are in the ‘need help’ group.
SpartanLaxFanatic

ah23 wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 8:08 pm
SpartanLaxFanatic wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 1:55 pm For anyone questioning RPI, they are ranked 2nd in their region and would be a shoe in if they made the Liberty Championship.
I have a hard time buying their resume as a lock if Williams/Amherst are in the ‘need help’ group.
If Williams or Amherst make the NESCAC championship they are also locks for Pool C. If RPI, Amherst or Williams lose this weekend they will be squarely on the bubble. All are in a similar boat.
Laxattackjack

Post by Laxattackjack »

SpartanLaxFanatic wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 11:16 am
If Williams or Amherst make the NESCAC championship they are also locks for Pool C. If RPI, Amherst or Williams lose this weekend they will be squarely on the bubble. All are in a similar boat.
agree. Final two from all three conferences are 99% locks in the tourney. (Liberty, Centennial, and NESCAC)
Middlebury, Tufts, Dickinson, gettysburgh, and RIT are also 99% locks even if they don’t make the championship game for each conference
SpartanLaxFanatic

Laxattackjack wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 11:26 am
SpartanLaxFanatic wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 11:16 am
agree. Final two from all three conferences are 99% locks in the tourney. (Liberty, Centennial, and NESCAC)
Middlebury, Tufts, Dickinson, gettysburgh, and RIT are also 99% locks even if they don’t make the championship game for each conference
I'd be hesitant on Gettysburg but the others I agree with.
Laxattackjack

Post by Laxattackjack »

Gettysburg has some solid wins. And once you get past gettysburgh, who?

Let’s say gettysburgh, tufts and middlebury lose

Tufts and Middlebury are both getting in (2)
Winner of NESCAC (1)
CNU/Salisbury are in (2)
Final two of centennial (2)
Final two of Liberty (2)

That leaves one spot and GBurg has a better resume than the loser of the NESCAC

it will be close. And could potentially go either way. But I feel like they are as close to a lock as you can get.
Laxwizard

Post by Laxwizard »

Laxattackjack wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 12:33 pm Gettysburg has some solid wins. And once you get past gettysburgh, who?

Winner of NESCAC (1)
CNU/Salisbury are in (2)
Final two of Liberty (2)

it will be close. And could potentially go either way. But I feel like they are as close to a lock as you can get.
Gettysburg is ranked 5th in their region. The 3rd and 4th ranked Region 1 teams will probably both go before them.
Laxdds

Post by Laxdds »

Laxattackjack wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 12:33 pm Gettysburg has some solid wins. And once you get past gettysburgh, who?

Winner of NESCAC (1)
CNU/Salisbury are in (2)
Final two of Liberty (2)

I ask this with all sincerity, do you not know how to spell Gettysburg or are you just goofing around?
beantown_lax879

Post by beantown_lax879 »

Laxdds wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 3:06 pm

Winner of NESCAC (1)
CNU/Salisbury are in (2)
Final two of Liberty (2)

I ask this with all sincerity, do you not know how to spell Gettysburg or are you just goofing around?
NASCAC, Gettysburgh, Amhearst... don't feed the trolls.
Laxattackjack

Post by Laxattackjack »

beantown_lax879 wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 4:48 pm

Winner of NESCAC (1)
CNU/Salisbury are in (2)
Final two of Liberty (2)

It’s autocorrect. And I don’t think you know what a troll is. Care to contribute to the topic?
Dinah

Post by Dinah »

Laxattackjack wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 5:32 pm

Winner of NESCAC (1)
CNU/Salisbury are in (2)
Final two of Liberty (2)

It’s autocorrect. And I don’t think you know what a troll is. Care to contribute to the topic?
Man if this is what you're like on a phone I can't imagine what you'd do to Bowdoin's resume behind a laptop!
Laxattackjack

Post by Laxattackjack »

Dinah wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 5:43 pm
Laxattackjack wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 5:32 pm

Winner of NESCAC (1)
CNU/Salisbury are in (2)
Final two of Liberty (2)

Man if this is what you're like on a phone I can't imagine what you'd do to Bowdoin's resume behind a laptop!
Again with the Bowdoin. What’s the deal?
ah23

Post by ah23 »

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that autocorrect didn't change it to "gettysburgh" :lol:.
The12lov3

Post by The12lov3 »

ah23 wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 11:25 pm I'm going to go out on a limb and say that autocorrect didn't change it to "gettysburgh" :lol:.
Or NASCAC

Return to “D3 MENS LACROSSE”