Hugh Kelleher: Ivy First Team Midfield

Let's Go Red!
another fan

Re: Cornell 2023

Post by another fan »

Follows-- second team
Coyle and Cascadden -- HM

Billy Chabot- Academic All Ivy

Would have liked to see Chris Davis get some recognition.

AJ Nikolic in "second wave" for UA All American game

Congratulations to all. GBR
Gobigred

Post by Gobigred »

another fan wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 8:24 am Follows-- second team
Coyle and Cascadden -- HM

Billy Chabot- Academic All Ivy

Would have liked to see Chris Davis get some recognition.

AJ Nikolic in "second wave" for UA All American game

Congratulations to all. GBR
Agree on Davis.
Velvet.Fog

Post by Velvet.Fog »

As the team heads into the ILT and NCAA tourney beyond - I wanted to offer some observations on the general state of all things Cornell Lacrosse:

* I think we should all be very proud of the state of the program in the big picture. We have for years now regularly appeared in the top 10 in the country - top 5 at times - even in the face of coaching changes, losses to the portal, regular recruiting decommits, etc. This is a testament in my view to the tremendous culture and legacy of the program and the hiring of quality coaching. Most importantly recently is the hiring of Buczek and Stevens as the stewards of the program. Among the many great attributes they bring, I think most impressive is their ability to identify talent in the recruiting process and land enough key players to build a sound D1 roster year in and year out. They then of course coach them up very effectively once they arrive. My hope is that we can retain this tandem as long as possible. They are very impressive and great representatives of the program.
* The "on-field" goals of the program are many but at the top is, in my view, to be considered among the elite top 5-6 programs in the country on a consistent basis. We want to be in the conversation with UVA, Duke, ND, MD, etc. as final four contenders every year. And for the most part this has been the case - or close to it - recently. There are many built-in disadvantages Cornell has as compared to these teams - no scholarships, no grad students (e.g., portal), facilities, smaller travel rosters, rural Ithaca setting, etc. These are meaningful constraints every year [Note: consider that one our top AA players of recent years actually played AGAINST us in the final game last year!]. I know most will respond that these are constraints wholly created by the Ivies themselves (so tough sh*t) - but they are nonetheless very real. Imagine if the tables were turned and only the Ivies took grad students - with the current Ivy graduate programs (MBA programs especially) they would attract the very best transfers. Instead it is the opposite (see Tevlin, Fake, Donville, etc.)
* Back to this season: the upcoming ILT is going to be a dogfight. Any team could win. And there looks to be little to be gained in terms of seeding (other than Princeton of course) for winning it. I think the ACC has the right idea - why have our teams beat each other up in two games over three days? Who needs a post season tourney? Last year I remember Yale on Sunday had literally nothing left to give physically. The players were gassed. And in 2018, Yale gets smoked in the ILT champ game by Cornell - but goes on to win the NCAA championship! Bottom line: don't get too high or low based on this upcoming weekend results. It's a very competitive event and would be great to win - but the larger goal lies beyond this weekend.
* The ceiling for this year's team is still hard to figure. The key of course is to get healthy and be playing as free and loose as possible at the end of the year. One area of real concern with this team in my view is the SSDM group. It has been very inconsistent. Injuries have recently impacted #5 (missed games) and #7 (hobbled leg). The others in the group have recently been isolated and beaten badly at times. Army went after #13 on nearly every possession down the stretch. Princeton simply ran right by 46, 6 and 7 on numerous occasions. Many times these offensive players were untouched and took very high percentage shots with their hands free. Simple speed dodges. I also don't understand why this group presses out sometimes 30-40 yards from the goal and basically invites these dodges? I think this hurts us. The Off player just runs by our guys and the D is forced to either slide or allow a decent shot. Why give them this running head start? I have a feeling this season will only go so far as this group can take us. It's clear that very few teams scheme to dodge against our close D - their offensive game plans are to disproportionally attack the shorties. It's not lost that this is the hardest position on the field - it's just that this position has seemed to be a big challenge in recent games.
* The offense has been inconsistent at times recently - most notably against Army and Princeton. I hope as Long gets his legs back and presents a legitimate dodging threat - then the offense can achieve its full potential. The key to me is for everyone to play their role - not more! Too many times I see mediocre shots or passes and think "that is just not what that player should be trying...." Also there seems to be a fascination at times with shooting high to high when a player gets a clean look. At the D1 level - if a goalie gets a good look at a shooter that is in front of him and is 10+ yards out, then there is a very good chance that a high to high shot will be saved. I see 2, 31, 27, 44, 11 and others often shooting high to high and there is little chance of the shot going in. We shot low almost entirely at Brown and had tremendous success.
* most bracket projections have Cornell at #7 at best. I know it is going to be challenging to move much higher than that - but I'm hoping if they win the ILT they could be a 6 or even a 5 seed with a little luck. The key to me is to try and avoid UVA and Duke in round 2 - especially UVA. I would rather see Cornell play any team other than the top two (until the Final Four). In fact, I think that we match up well with almost any other team.

Aside from these minor gripes (which I admit are obvious and nit-picky) it has been a very fun year. I think we would have all signed up in the preseason for an 11-2 record, 5-1 Ivy regular season championship and #6 national ranking! But this team has the talent to make a deep run if they can play to their potential and stay healthy. My hope is that they can do both of these things. LGR!!!!!!!!!

VF
joewillie78

Post by joewillie78 »

OK, losing is never good and I hate it BUT, have you looked at Cornell after losing in the LAST year since the 2022 ILT.
They lost in the ILT, won next 3 to make NC game.
They lost the NC game to MD and opened the 2023 season with 4 straight wins.
They lost to Penn State and won their next 3 games.
They lost to Harvard and are now on a 4 game winning streak.

So, in conclusion;
1. This coaching staff does a great job after a loss
2. The players pride themselves on putting the L behind them and focus on the next challenge.
3. The losses this year have been without Long
4. Would losing in the ILT be a bad thing? Possibly for seeding but if you look at the past years history, the RED go on huge runs after a loss.

Gobigred
Joewillie78
CU88a

Post by CU88a »

laxjuris

Post by laxjuris »

Velvet.Fog wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 10:05 am As the team heads into the ILT and NCAA tourney beyond - I wanted to offer some observations on the general state of all things Cornell Lacrosse:

* The ceiling for this year's team is still hard to figure. The key of course is to get healthy and be playing as free and loose as possible at the end of the year. One area of real concern with this team in my view is the SSDM group. It has been very inconsistent. Injuries have recently impacted #5 (missed games) and #7 (hobbled leg). The others in the group have recently been isolated and beaten badly at times. Army went after #13 on nearly every possession down the stretch. Princeton simply ran right by 46, 6 and 7 on numerous occasions. Many times these offensive players were untouched and took very high percentage shots with their hands free. Simple speed dodges. I also don't understand why this group presses out sometimes 30-40 yards from the goal and basically invites these dodges? I think this hurts us. The Off player just runs by our guys and the D is forced to either slide or allow a decent shot. Why give them this running head start? I have a feeling this season will only go so far as this group can take us. It's clear that very few teams scheme to dodge against our close D - their offensive game plans are to disproportionally attack the shorties. It's not lost that this is the hardest position on the field - it's just that this position has seemed to be a big challenge in recent games.
* The offense has been inconsistent at times recently - most notably against Army and Princeton. I hope as Long gets his legs back and presents a legitimate dodging threat - then the offense can achieve its full potential. The key to me is for everyone to play their role - not more! Too many times I see mediocre shots or passes and think "that is just not what that player should be trying...." Also there seems to be a fascination at times with shooting high to high when a player gets a clean look. At the D1 level - if a goalie gets a good look at a shooter that is in front of him and is 10+ yards out, then there is a very good chance that a high to high shot will be saved. I see 2, 31, 27, 44, 11 and others often shooting high to high and there is little chance of the shot going in. We shot low almost entirely at Brown and had tremendous success.

VF
I think your observations are spot-on, and this team's ability to advance will largely be tied to how the shorties hold up. I'll like our chances much better if Bozzi is able to return, as he was playing very well before his injury. Likewise if Long can return to his 2022 form, that opens up so much on offense. And piggy backing on your thoughts regarding shot placement, during the Princeton game I was repeatedly yelling at my TV, "shoot low!"
another fan

Post by another fan »

I agree on the short stick key, as well as Bozzi's importance-- he's been under-appreciated, and is probably the quickest of the group. Box's issue may be more size than speed. Davis can generally keep up when fully healthy. On offense, Kirst's points are still there, but coming harder as teams double and triple him. Long needs to stay healthy, dodge, and capitalize when a short stick is on him. Midfields are inconsistent with their contributions, but I see some positive signs. All in all, this is a well-coached team that gets the most out of what we've got--- and makes us very proud. LGR
VeryRustyRed

Post by VeryRustyRed »

Excellent observations.
-Our coaching staff - A+. In addition to recruiting (player "acquisition), coaching players up is so important. Look at Hopkins - while the portal helped, the staff Milliman put in place has made a huge difference.
-The toll on a not terribly deep team of having to play this Friday and possibly Sunday. I couldn't agree more. The Big10 at least starts their tournament a day+ earlier. And while the ACC (still) does not have a tournament, my understanding is they will start next year. I could be wrong. If so, they won't have the advantage of an extra week of rest --- with finals completed.
-Issues:
Offense - Our mids need to have good days (think 8 against Princeton) at this point. And a healthier Long - Princeton had a shortie on him for parts of the game. What does that say? He needs to be a threat. Teams will throw bodies against 15.
Defense - SSDMs - Unfortunately, I doubt that we will see Bozzi this weekend. Rayhill's vulnerability against speed was evident against Princeton. This group has to hold their own, or our poles will have to support far too much.
Other - 20, 28, 3 --- keep up the good work.
faircornell

Post by faircornell »

VRR, I agree with your analysis that the game will be won in the midfield for Cornell. Our poles are solid, as is our attack. Yale will score, and unless something unusual happens, they will likely put in something in the low double digits. In the defensive midfield, I simply thing that being as solid as possible will be enough. In the offensive midfield, valuing possession will be critical. If the Red are moving the ball well and taking high probability shots, Cornell can put up more goals than Yale. Excessive turnovers or low percentage shooting (especially outside shots on goalie Paquette) will really hurt.

Looking at all of the "upsets" in the conference tournaments thus far this year, it's safe to conclude that Cornell is not immune to a similar fate. I'm sure the Big Red team will come out sky high for the game.

Let's go Red!
Lager

Post by Lager »

Velvet.Fog wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 10:05 am As the team heads into the ILT and NCAA tourney beyond - I wanted to offer some observations on the general state of all things Cornell Lacrosse:

* I think we should all be very proud of the state of the program in the big picture. We have for years now regularly appeared in the top 10 in the country - top 5 at times - even in the face of coaching changes, losses to the portal, regular recruiting decommits, etc. This is a testament in my view to the tremendous culture and legacy of the program and the hiring of quality coaching. Most importantly recently is the hiring of Buczek and Stevens as the stewards of the program. Among the many great attributes they bring, I think most impressive is their ability to identify talent in the recruiting process and land enough key players to build a sound D1 roster year in and year out. They then of course coach them up very effectively once they arrive. My hope is that we can retain this tandem as long as possible. They are very impressive and great representatives of the program.
* The "on-field" goals of the program are many but at the top is, in my view, to be considered among the elite top 5-6 programs in the country on a consistent basis. We want to be in the conversation with UVA, Duke, ND, MD, etc. as final four contenders every year. And for the most part this has been the case - or close to it - recently. There are many built-in disadvantages Cornell has as compared to these teams - no scholarships, no grad students (e.g., portal), facilities, smaller travel rosters, rural Ithaca setting, etc. These are meaningful constraints every year [Note: consider that one our top AA players of recent years actually played AGAINST us in the final game last year!]. I know most will respond that these are constraints wholly created by the Ivies themselves (so tough sh*t) - but they are nonetheless very real. Imagine if the tables were turned and only the Ivies took grad students - with the current Ivy graduate programs (MBA programs especially) they would attract the very best transfers. Instead it is the opposite (see Tevlin, Fake, Donville, etc.)
* Back to this season: the upcoming ILT is going to be a dogfight. Any team could win. And there looks to be little to be gained in terms of seeding (other than Princeton of course) for winning it. I think the ACC has the right idea - why have our teams beat each other up in two games over three days? Who needs a post season tourney? Last year I remember Yale on Sunday had literally nothing left to give physically. The players were gassed. And in 2018, Yale gets smoked in the ILT champ game by Cornell - but goes on to win the NCAA championship! Bottom line: don't get too high or low based on this upcoming weekend results. It's a very competitive event and would be great to win - but the larger goal lies beyond this weekend.
* most bracket projections have Cornell at #7 at best. I know it is going to be challenging to move much higher than that - but I'm hoping if they win the ILT they could be a 6 or even a 5 seed with a little luck. The key to me is to try and avoid UVA and Duke in round 2 - especially UVA. I would rather see Cornell play any team other than the top two (until the Final Four). In fact, I think that we match up well with almost any other team.

Aside from these minor gripes (which I admit are obvious and nit-picky) it has been a very fun year. I think we would have all signed up in the preseason for an 11-2 record, 5-1 Ivy regular season championship and #6 national ranking! But this team has the talent to make a deep run if they can play to their potential and stay healthy. My hope is that they can do both of these things. LGR!!!!!!!!!

VF
Ultimately, if the SSDM rotation can stay healthy and do a decent job, Cornell can beat anyone in the country. There is some talent there, but its cornells only true weakness. I think the SSDM crew is capable of solid play against good competition. Cornell has maybe the best group of long poles in program history, they rarely get beat. Go back and watch the highlights of every game and the poles almost never get beat.

It's hard not to like where the program is at right now. It's not 2004, Cornell and Princeton can't just sleep walk to titles anymore. The sport of lacrosse has grown and other ivies have built up their programs. So, to win two consecutive ivy titles is a huge accomplishment, ESPECIALLY a solo title. That's 3 titles in the last 4 seasons if you count the Ivy Tournament (2018 team was special in its own right). Cornell doesn't necessarily bring in a ton of 5 star talent compared to schools like Duke, Yale, UVA etc, but Buczek and Co. have done a phenomenal job bringing in talent. Generally speaking, Cornell currently has the size and athleticism to compete well against basically anyone. Cornell may be at a somewhat mild physical disadvantage against teams like Duke and UVA, but the tenacity, coaching and culture of the Cornell program makes up the difference.
MoralTerpitude

Post by MoralTerpitude »

Who is Buczek playing on the second midfield line at this point? Blake/Lombardi/Piatelli?
Lager

Post by Lager »

MoralTerpitude wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 11:19 pm Who is Buczek playing on the second midfield line at this point? Blake/Lombardi/Piatelli?
Hard to say because there's been some mixing and matching. The two players I like to see out there the most are Kelleher and Wirtheim. Both have the speed and burst to create their own shots
CU77

Post by CU77 »

Blake, Lombardi, and either Holmes or Luzzi seems the most common config now. I don't recall seeing Piatelli at midfield.
Ezra White

Post by Ezra White »

CU77 wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 12:04 am Blake, Lombardi, and either Holmes or Luzzi seems the most common config now. I don't recall seeing Piatelli at midfield.
Are they using him as a substitute attackman?
CU77

Post by CU77 »

Yes, when needed, Piatelli has been next man up on attack.
another fan

Post by another fan »

CU77 wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 12:04 am Blake, Lombardi, and either Holmes or Luzzi seems the most common config now. I don't recall seeing Piatelli at midfield.
Dalton had been on the second line before injuring his foot. When he returns, he will see time. I hope Luzzi continues to get shifts since he looks to have the potential to generate offense.
laxfan1313

Post by laxfan1313 »

On Saturday, we need to root for Maryland. If Michigan wins & receives the Big 10 AQ, that knocks off one Ivy at large possibility. GO TERPS!
Ezra White

Post by Ezra White »

Ball possession is a simple solution to weakness at the SSDM position. Make good passes, catch the freakin ball, don't run into double- or triple-teams, win face-offs, clear, and ride like hell.

LGR
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

Don’t make moronic skip passes where you stare down your man so the defense can knock down the pass,

like Johns Hopkins yesterday 8-)

just hit the next open man, the simplest pass.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”