NESCAC

D3 Mens Lacrosse
humpdaddy

Re: NESCAC

Post by humpdaddy »

Last edited by humpdaddy on Fri May 05, 2023 9:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
ATSAP

Post by ATSAP »

ATSAP couldnt spell Tweeter.
JunkyardBobcat

Post by JunkyardBobcat »

Anybody have thoughts on the coaching situation in Waterville next year? Curious to see if there are any changes
bantamslayer

Post by bantamslayer »

JunkyardBobcat wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 12:01 pm Anybody have thoughts on the coaching situation in Waterville next year? Curious to see if there are any changes
Can't see a scenario in which the whole coaching staff doesn't change. Not sure about GVA but seems like there's a storm brewing in Waterville.
Laxdad457

Post by Laxdad457 »

bantamslayer wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 12:07 pm
JunkyardBobcat wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 12:01 pm Anybody have thoughts on the coaching situation in Waterville next year? Curious to see if there are any changes
Can't see a scenario in which the whole coaching staff doesn't change. Not sure about GVA but seems like there's a storm brewing in Waterville.
When are these types of decisions typically made?
jumpman23

Post by jumpman23 »

For those that haven't seen there is a very interesting discussion on burdens of NESCAC out of conference scheduling in the last like 10 posts of the topic/thread called "2023 D3 NCAA Tournament Bracket" and curious to hear thoughts by the NESCAC experts in this thread...
ah23

Post by ah23 »

jumpman23 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 2:14 pm For those that haven't seen there is a very interesting discussion on burdens of NESCAC out of conference scheduling in the last like 10 posts of the topic/thread called "2023 D3 NCAA Tournament Bracket" and curious to hear thoughts by the NESCAC experts in this thread...
Can’t speak to the logistical side of things, though I thought it made sense. Whole thing is a bit tedious overall. Teams in mediocre/bad conferences need to play tougher OOC schedules because otherwise a) they have zero preparation for the tournament b) they have zero shot at Pool C bids. Those problems don’t really exist for teams in better conferences. It’s obviously more fun for fans of the sport (and a good measuring stick) when good teams in top conferences play good OOC schedules…but that’s a different conversation.
The12lov3

Post by The12lov3 »

ah23 wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 10:41 pm
jumpman23 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 2:14 pm For those that haven't seen there is a very interesting discussion on burdens of NESCAC out of conference scheduling in the last like 10 posts of the topic/thread called "2023 D3 NCAA Tournament Bracket" and curious to hear thoughts by the NESCAC experts in this thread...
Can’t speak to the logistical side of things, though I thought it made sense. Whole thing is a bit tedious overall. Teams in mediocre/bad conferences need to play tougher OOC schedules because otherwise a) they have zero preparation for the tournament b) they have zero shot at Pool C bids. Those problems don’t really exist for teams in better conferences. It’s obviously more fun for fans of the sport (and a good measuring stick) when good teams in top conferences play good OOC schedules…but that’s a different conversation.
The conversation got started because I mentioned that compared to the other NESCAC teams such as Williams, Tufts, Amherst, and Middlebury that Bowdoin played the softest OOC schedule and therefore would be the fifth team taken from the NESCAC, therefore they were a long shot to make it. The lose to Amherst kind of sealed their fate. If you look at the their schedule, they did not beat any of the top NESCAC teams and their OOC schedule did not really play in their favor compared to the other teams. It would be hard pressed to get five in from the conference. Agree that they would beat 85% of the D3 team and probably a good number who make the tournament but the numbers are not in their favor this year.
ah23

Post by ah23 »

Agree with all of that - their OOC was fine but not particularly convincing given who everyone around them played (and beat). Going 0-5 against the top four seeds killed them. One-goal losses against Amherst and Williams, two goal loss to Amherst in the rematch, competitive late against Tufts…tough breaks for the Polar Bears.
jumpman23

Post by jumpman23 »

Tufts over Amherst by 6
Williams over Middlebury by 4
Then Williams over Tufts by 2
Tigerlax70

Post by Tigerlax70 »

jumpman23 wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 7:11 pm Tufts over Amherst by 6
TROLL. What planet do you live on?
Bucket

Post by Bucket »

Tigerlax70 wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 8:16 pm
jumpman23 wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 7:11 pm Tufts over Amherst by 6
TROLL. What planet do you live on?
Planet Williamstown.
Dinah

Post by Dinah »

Awards are out.. https://nescac.com/news/2023/5/4/nescac ... eiled.aspx

No major surprises.

I would have had Rayment (Amherst, #13) or Muldoon (Middlebury, #50) somewhat substantially over Murtha (Tufts, #55) at 2nd Team SSM, who's benefitting from Tufts' reputation at that spot.

Would have put Swank (Tufts, #23) over Bruun (Tufts, #33) at 2nd Team Attack - they generally play the same role and Swank is better at it IMO.

Think there are a couple guys like Giancola (Wesleyan, #9) or even Jamin (Middlebury, #40) that could get in over Ike (Trinity, #24) who benefits from taking all of the shots in that offense, but also good to see representation from lower-ranked teams.. especially Rice (Conn, #60) who had an excellent year that could have easily been overlooked given results.

Could someone who's closer to the Williams program confirm that it's Cragin (#19) and not Gaul (#35) that should be on that first team spot? I would have had it reversed but haven't watched them play enough to feel confident.

There's also probably a pretty good argument for Coach Campbell up in Middlebury for COY given the turnaround vs a lackluster 2022, but undefeated is undefeated for the head coach of Tufts - credit to them.
UpperCorner22

Post by UpperCorner22 »

Dinah wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 1:32 pm Awards are out.. https://nescac.com/news/2023/5/4/nescac ... eiled.aspx

No major surprises.

I would have had Rayment (Amherst, #13) or Muldoon (Middlebury, #50) somewhat substantially over Murtha (Tufts, #55) at 2nd Team SSM, who's benefitting from Tufts' reputation at that spot.

Would have put Swank (Tufts, #23) over Bruun (Tufts, #33) at 2nd Team Attack - they generally play the same role and Swank is better at it IMO.

Think there are a couple guys like Giancola (Wesleyan, #9) or even Jamin (Middlebury, #40) that could get in over Ike (Trinity, #24) who benefits from taking all of the shots in that offense, but also good to see representation from lower-ranked teams.. especially Rice (Conn, #60) who had an excellent year that could have easily been overlooked given results.

Could someone who's closer to the Williams program confirm that it's Cragin (#19) and not Gaul (#35) that should be on that first team spot? I would have had it reversed but haven't watched them play enough to feel confident.

There's also probably a pretty good argument for Coach Campbell up in Middlebury for COY given the turnaround vs a lackluster 2022, but undefeated is undefeated for the head coach of Tufts - credit to them.
Yep - agree - can prob argue a whole bunch of different ways - but over-all pretty good (wait till they come out with the 3rd Team, 4th Team and HM's...LOL).
Yes - particularly happy to see Rice in there - thought he would get over-looked - glad they noticed.
Unknown Participant

Post by Unknown Participant »

Dinah wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 1:32 pm Awards are out.. https://nescac.com/news/2023/5/4/nescac ... eiled.aspx

No major surprises.

Bruun is a lefty shooter and Swank is a righty. My view is that Bruun was stronger in the first half of the season season and Swank has come on in the second. Rice's performance in the Tufts rematch was a bit blah, but he almost singlehandedly stole the regular season game.
nescac commit

Post by nescac commit »

Does GROY stand for Gross - Rookie of the Year? If so, they were on it earlier than most.
Dinah

Post by Dinah »

Unknown Participant wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 3:35 pm

No major surprises.

Bruun is a lefty shooter and Swank is a righty. My view is that Bruun was stronger in the first half of the season season and Swank has come on in the second. Rice's performance in the Tufts rematch was a bit blah, but he almost singlehandedly stole the regular season game.
Yep - same role, didn't say same hand haha.
HighBouncersGo

Post by HighBouncersGo »

Tossing some Saturday lines

Tufts v Amherst —> Tufts -3.5
Think tufts runs away with it at the end but will be a good battle. Taking tufts
Prop bet of the game: Ethan Opdahl OVER 0.5 goals +1500

Midd v Williams —> Midd -1.5
Will be a competitive game throughout. Midd is the king of one goal games. I don’t think Williams has the SSDMs to guard Midd’s midfield. Taking midd
Prop bet of the game: Kern with more saves than Freitas +250
ah23

Post by ah23 »

Dinah wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 1:32 pm There's also probably a pretty good argument for Coach Campbell up in Middlebury for COY given the turnaround vs a lackluster 2022, but undefeated is undefeated for the head coach of Tufts - credit to them.
I'm really surprised it wasn't Campbell. That type of award almost always favors coaches who lead large turnarounds instead of year-over-year success - surprised it went the other way.
humpdaddy

Post by humpdaddy »

HighBouncersGo wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 9:17 pm Tossing some Saturday lines

Tufts v Amherst —> Tufts -3.5
Think tufts runs away with it at the end but will be a good battle. Taking tufts
Prop bet of the game: Ethan Opdahl OVER 0.5 goals +1500

Midd v Williams —> Midd -1.5
Will be a competitive game throughout. Midd is the king of one goal games. I don’t think Williams has the SSDMs to guard Midd’s midfield. Taking midd
Prop bet of the game: Kern with more saves than Freitas +250
I like these lines, I personally like this one: Swank to have more points than Boyden +340. Will also be hammering Dannolfo to look like an idiot in Jordans at -1500, can't argue with this one. It is literally free.

To chime in on some of the all-cac discussion above. Very happy to see Rice get the recognition he deserves, but still not sure why he's not in the 1st team spot. Also hard to understand by Big Jack Venturelli on Conn did not get some sort of recognition this year (1st teamer from '22), he is widely known as one of the most feared and technical defenders in the conference.

Also really like this future: Jim Nagle 2024 COY +1600. Something is brewing in New Lo.

Return to “D3 MENS LACROSSE”