Maryland 2023

D1 Mens Lacrosse
AreaLax

Re: Maryland 2023

Post by AreaLax »

Finster wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2023 7:31 pm How come Donal Mullane never got time?

I thought he’d be the missing ingredient for the Terps especially with Malever out. But it looks like he never sees the field.

That strikes me as odd since he was so productive in D3.

Anyone?
MULLANE Has been injured for most of the season
AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

Every goal last night for Maryland was either scored or assisted by a member on attack
Finster

Post by Finster »

AreaLax wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 9:59 am
Finster wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2023 7:31 pm How come Donal Mullane never got time?

I thought he’d be the missing ingredient for the Terps especially with Malever out. But it looks like he never sees the field.

That strikes me as odd since he was so productive in D3.

Anyone?
MULLANE Has been injured for most of the season

Thanks but Wow. Terps have had probably too many injuries to win the Natty this year. I’m not saying “pack it in” obviously, but at some point reality sets in. You can’t lose this much starting talent and get the same on-field chemistry you expected. Just not logical.
MoralTerpitude

Post by MoralTerpitude »

AreaLax wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 10:25 am Every goal last night for Maryland was either scored or assisted by a member on attack
Yeah... their passing has improved significantly from mid-season. They also shot 39%, with a full 75% of their shots on goal, continuing the trend the last few weeks. Their offense is really coming together. They just need to limit turnovers as best they can in May.

I expect them to have a better showing against Hopkins than they did last weekend. That being said... Schaller looked great against Rutgers, but the Knights play a lot of beat-your-man on offense, which Schaller could clearly handle. If he has to play next week, it will be interesting to see how he handles a more dynamic offense. We all were speculating about who would cover Angelus, Degnon, etc. etc., but there was constant rotation on who was covering who in the last game, due to how Hopkins runs their offense.
Last edited by MoralTerpitude on Sun Apr 30, 2023 12:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cno3putts

Post by Cno3putts »

Don't think defense is as good as some say. As weak as offense. Maybe next year.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

Hopefully Terps get one of these #5 caused turnover leading to fast break, and goal — once, each remaining game.
keno in reno

Post by keno in reno »

Cno3putts wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 12:39 pm Don't think defense is as good as some say. As weak as offense. Maybe next year.
Your attempted trolls aren't as good as you think. Do better. Maybe next year.

As for the Terps...funny how Tillman and Makar just laughed when the injury situation came up. Coach knows all the 2022 bills have come due.

Wicks got in and had some nice face off gb's, ones we didn't get last week.

Emo was really bad, like I'm not sure they got a shot off in 3 minutes of emo.

Terps are playing with house money. Seeding almost doesn't matter because it all depends on how the other seeds are shuffled. Pressure will be on Hop Thursday as the higher seed and home team.
Pork42

Post by Pork42 »

Wheels wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 2:06 am Zappitello has a hand injury, and there's hope he will return for the NCAA Tournament. Whether that's the first round or QF game will depend on how fast he heals. Geppert's battled a muscle injury all season. He sat the Albany game to give him a good chunk of rest. I would not be surprised at all if he sits until the NCAA Tournament. Murphy is back to 100%, and running him on the 1st MF gave them a boost. The issue with him isn't injury...it's whether or not he can play within their scheme. He did tonight, and that's a good sign.

A lot of Terps are really banged up. Not just typical end of the season wear and tear but really beat up. I wonder how many players will sit on Thursday so they can get healthy for the NCAA Tournament. At this point, they're probably locked into a 5 or 6 seed. Playing Thursday then Saturday would maybe bump them up for a 4 seed. But what's really the difference at that point, especially if your beat to hell.

BTW - Brecht really needs to rethink his transfer strategy. 21 seniors ended their careers today, and they haven't done a good job of building younger depth. If you have 2 good poles on your defense, you can stop RU's offense dead in its tracks. Asked around a little with some RU people about what's happened to Dante Kulas, and they said he's hit a wall. He only played in a handful of games last year, so this year was his first full season. He wore down. Teresky at one point last season looked like he'd take a step, but he's been buried on the bench.

Fortunately for the Terps, they don't have this problem. They'll be loaded for bear for the next two seasons.
That's what made last year so special, the injury bug never really paid them a visit until the last 2 games.
Amend "Be The Best" and add "Next Man Up".
MoralTerpitude

Post by MoralTerpitude »

keno in reno wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 1:30 pm
Cno3putts wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 12:39 pm Don't think defense is as good as some say. As weak as offense. Maybe next year.
Your attempted trolls aren't as good as you think. Do better. Maybe next year.

As for the Terps...funny how Tillman and Makar just laughed when the injury situation came up. Coach knows all the 2022 bills have come due.

Wicks got in and had some nice face off gb's, ones we didn't get last week.

Emo was really bad, like I'm not sure they got a shot off in 3 minutes of emo.

Terps are playing with house money. Seeding almost doesn't matter because it all depends on how the other seeds are shuffled. Pressure will be on Hop Thursday as the higher seed and home team.
They’re also getting a bunch of their younger guys some serious crunch-time experience, like Schaller.

In terms of seeding, a 4-seed in my mind is much better than a 6-seed. It means they avoid UVa, Duke, ND, and probably Cornell until the Final Four (looking like Cornell will be the 6th seed). We get a 6, we would have to face one of the ACC teams in the quarters.

I think Wheels said Terps ceiling is quarters or FF. I agree - if they get the 4 seed, they have a reasonable path to the FF.
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

There's no way they're playing Cornell in the Quarterfinals. If they win, they become they 4 or 5 and Cornell is either the 6 or 7. The highest Cornell can get is the 6, and they'd have to win the Ivy League Tournament to do it. They still might not get it, Hopkins RPI is much higher and they have very similar wins.

If they lose, they have much better wins than Cornell. They're going to be the 6 and Cornell would be the 7.

With UVA winning today I think any chance of getting the 3 went off the table. Had UVA lost and we won the B10 Tournament I think we'd have got it but now UVA could make a really good argument for the 1. So our range is 4-6.

1st round opponents range from PL Champion/America East Champion/Yale and Quarterfinal opponents are Penn State/Hopkins/ACC 3.
MoralTerpitude

Post by MoralTerpitude »

Probably true - the B1G champ would probably be above Cornell for the #4 slot, if Cornell wins the ILT.

If the Terps do win out, I'd think they'll get the 4 seed, on the strength of two additional top-5 RPI wins (at the time of the games anyways... not going to do any more math on that).

Now if Cornell wins out as well, they could have a couple more top-10 wins under their belt (Yale and Penn). I would think that would put them in the 5th slot, above Hopkins and Penn State, but once again not going to do any math.

All that being said, your point that they won't face Cornell in the quarters if they are in the 6 slot is correct, as Cornell won't be able to get to #3.
Bmk2222

Post by Bmk2222 »

All things mentioned considered if we can knock out one of the ACC big 3 in the tournament all will be right in the world……lol
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

Penn State beat Cornell H2H and currently has more Top 10 (5) and Top 20 (6) wins than anyone. They're not jumping them. The only one Cornell could conceivably jump I think is Hopkins, they have the most similar resumes in terms of wins, but even then they're a long ways back in RPI.

The 3 Big Ten teams have been pretty safely locked into the 4-6 spots for awhile as long as they kept winning and didn't drop games to the 3 below them and that's what they've done.
nyjay

Post by nyjay »

Zap is a big loss, but I thought Schaller was pretty good last night. Kid deserves a lot of credit for playing a responsible, controlled game. Based on watching him at the Hill, he can be a little over aggressive at times. I think he'll be OK. A+ kid too. Very easy to root for.
MoralTerpitude

Post by MoralTerpitude »

jrn19 wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 8:49 pm Penn State beat Cornell H2H and currently has more Top 10 (5) and Top 20 (6) wins than anyone. They're not jumping them. The only one Cornell could conceivably jump I think is Hopkins, they have the most similar resumes in terms of wins, but even then they're a long ways back in RPI.

The 3 Big Ten teams have been pretty safely locked into the 4-6 spots for awhile as long as they kept winning and didn't drop games to the 3 below them and that's what they've done.
What RPI are you working off of? I’m using the one off of LaxRef, which I assume is authoritative - it has Penn State with 4 top 10 wins and 5 top 20. If Cornell wins the Ivy, they have 4 top 10 and 6 top 20 wins (but zero top 5).

https://pro.lacrossereference.com/rpi-d ... ifospeivmd
PulpExposure

Post by PulpExposure »

nyjay wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 9:21 pm Zap is a big loss, but I thought Schaller was pretty good last night. Kid deserves a lot of credit for playing a responsible, controlled game. Based on watching him at the Hill, he can be a little over aggressive at times. I think he'll be OK. A+ kid too. Very easy to root for.
Schaller is going to be a stud. I'm super excited to see him and Larken play together for the foreseeable future.
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

MoralTerpitude wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 10:12 pm
jrn19 wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 8:49 pm Penn State beat Cornell H2H and currently has more Top 10 (5) and Top 20 (6) wins than anyone. They're not jumping them. The only one Cornell could conceivably jump I think is Hopkins, they have the most similar resumes in terms of wins, but even then they're a long ways back in RPI.

What RPI are you working off of? I’m using the one off of LaxRef, which I assume is authoritative - it has Penn State with 4 top 10 wins and 5 top 20. If Cornell wins the Ivy, they have 4 top 10 and 6 top 20 wins (but zero top 5).

https://pro.lacrossereference.com/rpi-d ... ifospeivmd
You're right, I miscalculated. Nonetheless, the H2H win over Cornell is going to cover Penn State in that regard.
MDralphie

Post by MDralphie »

Area is Mullane out for the year?
AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

MDralphie wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 10:41 pm Area is Mullane out for the year?
I don’t know his status. I only know about it because Tills brought it up in post game presser last week
keno in reno

Post by keno in reno »

Great game by the Terps. It changed when Murphy came in. Schaller is a brick wall.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”