New England West-1 2019

HS Boys Lacrosse
b1w7o9y7h

Re: New England West-1 2019

Post by b1w7o9y7h »

It's not the main football field? I thought that was the field they used? Dense, thick, spongy and very, very green...

Certainly if early spring conditions and a rough winter lingering has the field in rough shape, then those are indeed field turf indicated moments.

Back in the day, the football field was off limits to any spring activity, and football only practiced on it Friday's for walk throughs, and the 4-5 home games each Fall. It was like Gollum's precious...
Dawgie

Post by Dawgie »

Loomis lost their leading scorer, lefty #3, before Deerfield in addition to the two starting middies early in their OOC schedule. They still have some studs on attack but may lack a dynamic offense because of the lack of depth. Against Deerfield you could tell once the Doors figured out the Pelicans game plan it was very stifling on clears and settled situations. Time will tell how they fare later in some big league games, but they do have some more OOC games to figure it out.
grelch

Post by grelch »

Loomis is up 6-3 in the 2nd.

Taft is up 7-3 in the 2nd

TP up 7-2 in the 3rd
3rdPersonPlural

Post by 3rdPersonPlural »

Grelch?

Final scores?

Any color?

Help the handicapped, here?

You da man!
pcowlax

Post by pcowlax »

TP over Berkshire 16-5
AOF over Kent 9-6 (What the heck? Did all of the Winged Beaver come down with leptospirosis?)
Deerfield over Andover 7-5
Brunswick over Everest 13-2 (yesterday)
Last edited by pcowlax on Sat Apr 27, 2019 6:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
3rdPersonPlural

Post by 3rdPersonPlural »

And the most important-est game? Taft?
pcowlax

Post by pcowlax »

Loomis 12-9 over Exeter
Not sure about the Rhinos but I’m feeling pretty optimistic for you for this one
pcowlax

Post by pcowlax »

Rhinos over Hoggers 21-6
pcowlax

Post by pcowlax »

Westy over Millbrook 7-4
beastboyz99

Post by beastboyz99 »

I think we've hit that point in the season where it's fair to ask: who do you guys think is going to win it all this year?
grelch

Post by grelch »

3rdPersonPlural wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2019 5:28 pm Grelch?

Final scores?

Any color?

Help the handicapped, here?

You da man!
Apologies, I had to abandon my post. My daughter had a soccer game.

She lost.
TopShelf585

Post by TopShelf585 »

Bury 16 Hotch 6
Last edited by TopShelf585 on Mon Apr 29, 2019 4:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bdawg

Post by Bdawg »

As respects the question who can win it all, is it really coming down to Salisbury and wick? Interesting if deerfield stays on roll and runs the table (beating Salisbury and Avon along the way, which is a big if, although they did it last year) and Salisbury beats wick, is it a 3 way tie?
b1w7o9y7h

Post by b1w7o9y7h »

Last season DA lost to Avon, 3-6 and beat Salisbury the next game 9-6.
pcowlax

Post by pcowlax »

Bdawg wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2019 11:03 am As respects the question who can win it all, is it really coming down to Salisbury and wick? Interesting if deerfield stays on roll and runs the table (beating Salisbury and Avon along the way, which is a big if, although they did it last year) and Salisbury beats wick, is it a 3 way tie?
No tie breakers in West-1 (only slightly less aggravating than no playoff). So if all 3 end with the same league record, 3 way tie.
TopShelf585

Post by TopShelf585 »

Wick & Bury just have to win whereas DA has to hope for them to lose.

When its this close it gets down to who stays the healthiest.
Sometimes who don't have a say and a key player goes down on a fluke play in practice but sometimes you do have a say and can minimize the risk- i.e. don't have your starters playing through the third qtr. in a 16-3 game.
914laxer

Post by 914laxer »

Some great games around the country this past week. Darien Impressed me with their two close losses to Seton Hall Prep and St. Anthonys. Their sophomore goalie played great, hopefully he will stay around for a little while. Both games Darien was up late and could not close out.Also Manhasset- GC was a another good one with Manhasset coming out on top barely. I think that Manhasset is no fluke and should be ranked higher.
One point that I know is brought up every year but if Kent and NMH are not going to take lacrosse seriously and continue to put little to no funding into their programs I believe that they should move down to Division 2 or removed from the league. These games add little no value to Salisbury and Brunswick only the threat of injury like the one that happened to Bury standout Cole Willard(Penn St) a couple years ago against Kent prior to a big matchup with wick a week later.
Jimmy2Times

Post by Jimmy2Times »

QuickStick1 wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2019 10:56 am
pcowlax wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 6:05 pm Deerfield 13-6 over Loomis
Watched most of this game this game. I wasn't counting but faceoffs seemed to favor DA mostly because Loomis struggled to pick GBs, Loomis fogo gave him a battle. I have always hated that Deerfield plays on that grass despite having a turf and it definitely favored DA. Loomis ran mostly zone after they couldn't stop DA's open set offense in man. I honestly thought Loomis's offense did pretty solid when they did get a full possession but their clears were hard to watch and they could never get it to a shortie on the attacking side. Loomis's defense I thought did solid too but with so many failed clears and turnovers Loomis just never had the ball enough to have a chance.
The biggest take away I got from Loomis was that when they can possess the ball their offense is talented enough to score whether its transition or not. Loomis is good enough this year to take down some solid teams this year but need to be more effective clearing. Also definitely was not extremely impressed with DA compared to years prior talent levels.
[Back in the day the football field, Now Jim Smith Field, was simply the best field in all of NE. Due to the abundance of field space, the only time it was used was for the 4 Varsity football games each season. Prior to the reconfiguration of the lower level and expansion of the squash courts the Varsity Lacrosse team played in front of the tennis courts. There was a natural bern (sp) where the fans could sit and it was a great "old school" environment.]
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

with archbishop Spalding beating Boys Latin, Brunswick's beat down of BL, their best win this season, is looking less impressive. Their 2 next best wins are Penn Charter and Deerfield. Yes, they lost to Hill in OT but they lost to Hill in OT. You can't get points for losing. Not saying Brunswick isn't good. They are. But, thus far this season, they haven't shown it on paper. though, I'm relatively sure, in time, they will.
NEWestFan

Post by NEWestFan »

Interesting post. Not sure where its coming from.

Also, not sure how their average MOV over some very solid teams or an OT loss to a top 10 team doesn't indicate something on paper. After all, you still have BL ranked #22.

Sudden death OT games are a toss up, or as in this case a + or - ward/delay of game outcome. Any algorithm should treat them as a push.

So has McDonogh shown it on paper with their win over Culver, but loss to BL?

Why wouldn't the same logic hurt Calvert Hall (#2) who also lost in OT to Hill. What's their signature win(s)?

You play people when you play them. The "in time, they will" logic kind of makes mid season algo results useless which is why Laxpower always employed a subjective starting seed and each game (result and mov) would produce a deviation from that initial subjective seed as opposed to an absolute comparative result.

Return to “HS BOYS LACROSSE”