MASS HS Lax

HS Boys Lacrosse
MA Lax Fan

Re: MASS HS Lax

Post by MA Lax Fan »

Following up on the hype with Xaverian, does anyone have any details with the Xaverian loss to CM?

X may have the most D1 commits of any program in the State - both MIAA & ISL.
onemore18!

Post by onemore18! »

Not sure about X loss to CM, but just heard that the X Coach has been replaced by an Asst Coach for the rest of year. Big news there, not sure what happened.
Laxboy78

Post by Laxboy78 »

Wow, that is big news, and can’t be good. They also have SJP with Vana back.
MA Lax Fan

Post by MA Lax Fan »

Maybe the X situation is health related and he needed to take a leave of absence?

Regardless, X should be one of the best teams in the state. If 70% of your starting line up are D1 commits, you should be absolutely rolling the competition in MA.
Laxxal22

Post by Laxxal22 »

I saw that Reading got their first win ever over Lincoln Sudbury yesterday, 9-6. That's great for them but I was stunned to see that LS is 6-4 on the year. This seemed pretty unimaginable just a handful of years ago.
MA Lax Fan

Post by MA Lax Fan »

This is my assessment and I could be wrong. A lot of the affluent towns (traditional powerhouses) are losing their top players to the ISL and it has created more parity with some of the more middle class towns like Chelmsford, Franklin, Reading, Pentucket, Nauset, etc…. who tend to keep more of their players thru HS.

Laxachusettes and 3D coaches cherry pick all the best kids from Weston, LS, Newton, etc…. Get them to re-class and then promise the parents it’s going to be a path to D1.

I know wealthy towns(like Wellesley)that will lose 40 percent of their rising 9th graders to privates.
Can Opener

Post by Can Opener »

MA Lax Fan wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 9:54 am This is my assessment and I could be wrong. A lot of the affluent towns (traditional powerhouses) are losing their top players to the ISL and it has created more parity with some of the more middle class towns like Chelmsford, Franklin, Reading, Pentucket, Nauset, etc…. who tend to keep more of their players thru HS.

Laxachusettes and 3D coaches cherry pick all the best kids from Weston, LS, Newton, etc…. Get them to re-class and then promise the parents it’s going to be a path to D1.

I know wealthy towns(like Wellesley)that will lose 40 percent of their rising 9th graders to privates.
I agree with almost all of this. It is a continuation of the pay-to-play aspect of youth sports these days. In most team sports, playing on a private club team is practically a necessity to play for a D1 or a top 25 D3 program. It is not part of the sales pitch, however, to say that if you come to my ISL team, you will get to D1. Coaches have been burned hundreds of times on the expectations game. It is really a marketing message of: Do you want to play at the highest level? Well here in Massachusetts that means the ISL, the Catholics and a few other private schools like Dexter and Pingree. At a certain point (maybe 6-8 years ago) it became a self-fulfilling prophecy since there was an athlete drain at many public schools in wealthy towns so even more athletes looked for the exit since they didn't want to play on a team that was no longer attracting top talent. It really is a sad situation, but maybe the silver lining is that some of the sports-oriented middle class towns will thrive as a result as you point out.
McMonkey

Post by McMonkey »

Quick question: in the past five years, what team has done the best with the least number of club bros?

Perhaps another phrasing would be: if all teams showed up without equipment, who would win a no-equipment smash-mouth tackle football game without refs?

McMonkey
Laxxal22

Post by Laxxal22 »

McMonkey wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 5:33 pm Perhaps another phrasing would be: if all teams showed up without equipment, who would win a no-equipment smash-mouth tackle football game without refs?

McMonkey
My guess is Billerica has been the correct answer for about 50 years.
NNELax

Post by NNELax »

Billerica dads started Raptor Lacrosse which eventually was bought by HGR...No town is safe!
Laxxal22

Post by Laxxal22 »

Big win for BC High over St. John's Prep, 14-9. A grudge match in the state final feels somewhat inevitable. In other Catholic news, Xaverian dropped one to a sub .500 St. John's Shrewsbury team, 9-8. Looks like the coaching change wasn't quite the panacea for this spring's struggles.
MA Lax Fan

Post by MA Lax Fan »

That’s a strong statement win for BCH.

Regarding X losing to SJS, what a mess.

Hasselbeck has to be having some regrets about getting talked into transferring.
Laxxal22

Post by Laxxal22 »

I doubt it. I was told it was a football decision and he ended up QB1 at Xaverian while Belmont Hill was terrible at football this last fall. So that was a win. It was always going to be a step backwards in lacrosse.
McMonkey

Post by McMonkey »

Hey, McMonkey here. I saw Duxbury’s frosh play today, and I am impressed with the fact that they have a system.

I will be back coaching next spring, so I am eager to see what programs are teaching from the frosh all the way up.

Thanks
middleAgedBear

Post by middleAgedBear »

I don’t think Morse was the problem at X. I think he was actually a very good coach. Seems political.
Laxboy78

Post by Laxboy78 »

SJP with a huge win over Staples. 12-11 in OT.
JoeMauer89

Post by JoeMauer89 »

Laxboy78 wrote: Sat May 06, 2023 5:28 pm SJP with a huge win over Staples. 12-11 in OT.
Huge win for SJP, Staples going through a late-season swoon of sorts...

Joe
onemore18!

Post by onemore18! »

not just SJP beating a top CT team but Hingham over Glastonbury too although maybe not to the same degree...regardless good for MA MIAA
McMonkey

Post by McMonkey »

Does LS still have a team?
MA Lax Fan

Post by MA Lax Fan »

I’m assuming you are asking if LS is any good? They are still good just not as good as they used to be. Vona was absolutely loaded up with talent pre covid but things have tapered off for him these past few years.

Return to “HS BOYS LACROSSE”