Ivy League 2023

D1 Mens Lacrosse
ICGrad

Re: Ivy League 2023

Post by ICGrad »

faircornell wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 3:08 pm
POW: CJ Kirst, A, Cornell
ROW: Emmett Paradine, A, Dartmouth (1,1)

Honor Roll:

Leo Johnson, A, Yale
Aidan Blake, M, Cornell
Lucas Stanat, A, Princeton
Peter Rizzotti, D, Dartmouth
Sam Hanley, M, Penn
Jared Paquette, , Yale
No recognition of Adler? Surprising...

And re: the Ivy League PoY award, with many saying it was a toss-up between Kirst and Mackesy heading into the Cornell/Princeton game: Given one of the two had a Player of the Week performance, and the other was completely shut out, I assume (?) that seals the deal?
CU77

Post by CU77 »

ICGrad wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 3:35 pm No recognition of Adler? Surprising...
That means that the Cornell Athletic Communications team did not nominate him.

I'm pretty unimpressed with that office this year ... :(
laxfan1313

Post by laxfan1313 »

CJ is Ivy Player of the Week, his 2nd such recognition this season! https://cornellbigred.com/news/2023/5/1 ... iXas1UHZ-0
faircornell

Post by faircornell »

CU77 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 3:51 pm

It's been interesting to see how different schools utilize this weekly award. Dartmouth, and at times Harvard, seem to have used it as a motivational tool to award players - win or lose. Brown and Harvard didn't put any of their players names in this week.
enterprise

Post by enterprise »

Can a school nominate more than one player for POW in a week? If so, the Cornell sports info staff should be ashamed of themselves. But then again, if the number of POW awards can influence the Tewey process, that might explain it.
FannOLax

Post by FannOLax »

CU77 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 3:51 pm

Well, Yale's has not nominated a single long pole all season, although several have had games worthy of recognition. So, maybe these offices don't have anyone who cares, or knows, as much about lacrosse as much as we do. After all, it's not football or basketball. Those who know lacrosse know that Adler is terrific and deserves laurels.

Here's looking forward to the Cornell - Yale re-match Friday (assuming it can't go worse for Yale than the March game).
Lax3

Post by Lax3 »

Knowing the Yale program culture ... my guess is that Shay et al could care less about weekly awards. Very, very low priority if even on the radar screen.

However, I think that it would hard to find a defensive performance for Yale this year that would be worthy of a whole lot of mention. Maybe Stuzin as a LSM? The defense has tightened up considerably to give Paquette a fighting chance at some saves but hardly a team strength this year.
CU77

Post by CU77 »

enterprise wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:01 pm Can a school nominate more than one player for POW in a week? If so, the Cornell sports info staff should be ashamed of themselves. But then again, if the number of POW awards can influence the Tewey process, that might explain it.
Pretty sure the explanation is (1) general cluelessness about the sport (Adler's amazing game-saving ground-ball steal from Mackesey in OT was not included in the Cornell-produced video highlights), and (2) lack of involvement by the coaches (which I'm guessing is the case, and know to be the case for at least one other Ivy).
faircornell

Post by faircornell »

enterprise wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:01 pm Can a school nominate more than one player for POW in a week? If so, the Cornell sports info staff should be ashamed of themselves. But then again, if the number of POW awards can influence the Tewey process, that might explain it.
CU77 did some digging into this earlier in the season. My understanding is that each school can nominate two players. I don't think that there is a split between a ROW nomination and POW nomination. This year has been a bit unusual in that few rookies have matched upperclassmen's performances.

When schools don't respond or prioritize one thing over the other, odd results occur. This is this first time in the few years I've been watching that a player from a team that lost has received a weekly award. With a different process, I'd hope that Cascaden from Cornell would have received recognition this week.
CU77

Post by CU77 »

From my secret informed source*:
Schools can nominate one player and one rookie … cannot nominate two players for player of the week … anyone you nominate who isn’t selected is automatically on the honor roll … SIDs do the nominating
SID = sports information director, who may or may not consult with coaches, however that is handled at each school.

*who is Jerry Price, Senior Writer / Historian at Princeton Athletics, but don't tell anybody!
faircornell

Post by faircornell »

CU77 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 8:08 pm From my secret informed source*:
Schools can nominate one player and one rookie … cannot nominate two players for player of the week … anyone you nominate who isn’t selected is automatically on the honor roll … SIDs do the nominating
SID = sports information director, who may or may not consult with coaches, however that is handled at each school.

*who is Jerry Price, Senior Writer / Historian at Princeton Athletics, but don't tell anybody!
Thanks for the clarification! I'm not sure that all the schools follow this format precisely.
ICGrad

Post by ICGrad »

faircornell wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 6:11 pm
CU77 did some digging into this earlier in the season. My understanding is that each school can nominate two players. I
My guess is that this week the thinking was: Kirst for the huge 6 point day, then Blake for the two crucial goals down the stretch. I mean, I can see why the guy who scored the game-tying, then the game-winning, goals would deserve mention. Certainly a more obvious selection for someone who might not follow the sport as closely as forumites here do.

But yeah, clearly Adler and Cascadan would have been deserving of mention as well. Ultimately I have no issue with Blake getting the nod; he came up big in the clutch (not that Adler didn't) and is certainly deserving.
Ezra White

Post by Ezra White »

ICGrad wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 8:59 pm
CU77 did some digging into this earlier in the season. My understanding is that each school can nominate two players. I
My guess is that this week the thinking was: Kirst for the huge 6 point day, then Blake for the two crucial goals down the stretch. I mean, I can see why the guy who scored the game-tying, then the game-winning, goals would deserve mention. Certainly a more obvious selection for someone who might not follow the sport as closely as forumites here do.

But yeah, clearly Adler and Cascadan would have been deserving of mention as well. Ultimately I have no issue with Blake getting the nod; he came up big in the clutch (not that Adler didn't) and is certainly deserving.
A league-wide award should take into account the importance of individual games and quality of opponents. Otherwise, the award becomes like giving everyone a trophy.

So, how does a Dartmouth attackman who only goes (1,1) win ROW over Cascadan?

Additionally, in a sport that's becoming highly specialized, the two most important positions are FOGO and GK. And Adler is redefining what it means to be a defender. Yet the POW and ROW awards are emphasizing scoring, which hardly ever involves FOGOs, GKs, or defenders. If the game continues in the direction it's heading, what will it take for sports information officers to become much less points-scored focused?
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Dartmouth FR had 10/27 pts against Hobart…
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
faircornell

Post by faircornell »

Ezra White wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 1:01 am

A league-wide award should take into account the importance of individual games and quality of opponents. Otherwise, the award becomes like giving everyone a trophy.

He was the only rookie nominated amongst the Honor Role.
bearlaxfan

Post by bearlaxfan »

faircornell wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 8:40 am
Ezra White wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 1:01 am

He was the only rookie nominated amongst the Honor Role.
Brown 🤬. So they had a freshman middie go 3,2 Saturday on the same field as Paradine and no one could be bothered to type his name and hit *enter* as ROW. This is a re-whinge from last post on p38.
Gorilla Fan

Post by Gorilla Fan »

https://twitter.com/QKessenich/status/1 ... 36457?s=20

"Ivy League Final on Sunday will now air live on ESPN2 at noon."
ICGrad

Post by ICGrad »

ICGrad wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 8:59 pm But yeah, clearly Adler and Cascadan would have been deserving of mention as well. Ultimately I have no issue with Blake getting the nod; he came up big in the clutch (not that Adler didn't) and is certainly deserving.
Credit where it's due, and a mea culpa since we're actually discussing overlooking worthy performances: I meant to say Petrakis, not Cascadan. Cacadan had a solid day at the x, but Petrakis was a monster, winning an astonishing 13-15.

Cornell had a number of great individual performances in this game, but still needed OT to get by Princeton. Here's hoping that they clean up the sloppiness before the ILTs and, certainly, NCAAs.
bearlaxfan

Post by bearlaxfan »

https://ivyleague.com/news/2023/5/3/men ... unced.aspx

Year end awards.

Congrats everyone!
Patsy

Dartmouth men

Post by Patsy »

Been connected to Dartmouth lacrosse since my freshman year (1956) my very wise son says, “Its a game with sticks but not hockey.” Lol

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”