Post by keno in reno »

Cooter wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2019 11:31 pm
reLAX wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2019 10:49 pm
Cooter wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2019 10:34 pm
reLAX wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2019 10:26 pm
Cooter wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2019 10:00 pm Embarrassing. :oops:
I guess there is always next year.
To quote Teddy Roosevelt;
It is not the critic who counts. ... The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena; whose face is marred by the dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly ... who, at worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly;
Not sure playing a 6-6 team on your homefield is daring greatly :?:
Wow.
Just being honest. Hopkins hadn't beaten a top 10 team all season. Lost to Towson by 9, Loyola by 6, Syracuse by 4, Virginia by 5, and PSU by 11.
My statement about next year was a little tongue-and-cheek about the Crab trophy actually. But if the Terps can't play shutdown defense and lose the FO game, it will be tough to go far this year.
Objectively, this team is a middling tournament team wearing Maryland jerseys. They will make the tournament not question. But of likely tournament teams, they are deficient in defense and face-off, average at goalie, deficient at offensive midfield and superior at attack. That's one winning unit which does not look good for the tournament expectations that Tillman has rightfully set.
keno in reno

Re: Maryland 2019

Post by keno in reno »

Cooter wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2019 11:31 pm
reLAX wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2019 10:49 pm
Cooter wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2019 10:34 pm
reLAX wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2019 10:26 pm
Cooter wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2019 10:00 pm Embarrassing. :oops:
I guess there is always next year.
To quote Teddy Roosevelt;
It is not the critic who counts. ... The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena; whose face is marred by the dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly ... who, at worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly;
Not sure playing a 6-6 team on your homefield is daring greatly :?:
Wow.
Just being honest. Hopkins hadn't beaten a top 10 team all season. Lost to Towson by 9, Loyola by 6, Syracuse by 4, Virginia by 5, and PSU by 11.
My statement about next year was a little tongue-and-cheek about the Crab trophy actually. But if the Terps can't play shutdown defense and lose the FO game, it will be tough to go far this year.
Objectively, this is a middling tournament team wearing Maryland jerseys. They will make the tournament no question. But of likely tournament teams, they are deficient in defense and face-off, average at goalie, deficient at offensive midfield and superior at attack. That's one winning unit which does not look good for the tournament expectations that Tillman has rightfully set.
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

This is either the loss UMD needed to focus or the beginning of the end. Hopkins is not a good team. We will find out if MD is one soon enough.
Wheels

Post by Wheels »

Just got back from the game.

13 shots on goal. 14 turnovers.

I can't recall the last time I saw that from a Maryland team.

The game flipped when Narewski came in at the FOGO for Hop. Prouty was 1-5, and Hop was down 5-1. Then the Terps stopped getting possessions, starting playing to much defense, and started airmailing passes.

Teams are using Maryland's slide package against them. It started with Penn St, and now every team does the same thing. Start a dodge on a wing at GLE with a player at X. The defenseman guarding the X player will move to the front of the goal to be the 1st slide. The wing dodge starts if it isn't stoned from the jump, the pole will slide, and the defense gets hung up at X. Then the picket fence starts 5 yards above the goal with screens and cutters. Rutgers did it. OSU did it. JHU did it.
Seahawk

Post by Seahawk »

Gut punch > gut check = ???. See what transpires on Thursday.
runrussellrun

Post by runrussellrun »

Enough with the robot like, heads either turned up (players) or down (coaches) video review.

Maryland is dead last for ALL of div. I in a very important stat: CTO. A full 5-7 clicks away from the leading teams, the Terps sit at 73, the very bottom, with a 4.62 CTO's per game (not including yesterday)

Very tough to lead from behind when you don't try to take the ball away......shatter the electronics, if for affect only. Terps had more assists than they did poke checks.....attempts to dislodge the indian rubber.

Shock us all and change NOW.....not next season.
ILM...Independent Lives Matter
Pronouns: "we" and "suck"
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

runrussellrun wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2019 9:14 am Enough with the robot like, heads either turned up (players) or down (coaches) video review.

Maryland is dead last for ALL of div. I in a very important stat: CTO. A full 5-7 clicks away from the leading teams, the Terps sit at 73, the very bottom, with a 4.62 CTO's per game (not including yesterday)

Very tough to lead from behind when you don't try to take the ball away......shatter the electronics, if for affect only. Terps had more assists than they did poke checks.....attempts to dislodge the indian rubber.

Tillman doesn’t know what he is doing!
“I wish you would!”
runrussellrun

Post by runrussellrun »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2019 9:41 am
runrussellrun wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2019 9:14 am Enough with the robot like, heads either turned up (players) or down (coaches) video review.

Know for a fact he agrees with me........and needs to make a change. But, you can live in this world

https://blogs.elon.edu/roomfordebate/ho ... th-sports/

weren't YOU the guy that posted an article talking about successful companies and employee retention were those that weren't full of brown nozers, eddie haskill types?
Typical Lax Dad

runrussellrun wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2019 9:44 am

Know for a fact he agrees with me........and needs to make a change. But, you can live in this world

weren't YOU the guy that posted an article talking about successful companies and employee retention were those that weren't full of brown nozers, eddie haskill types?
I don’t recall posting that article. In my house, we didn’t have to worry about a participation trophy. But if you are asking me if it is ok for 5/6 year old children to get a participation trophy, I don’t have a problem with it if it keeps them involved. Remember, two years before their 5th birthday, many kids are still crapping in diapers.

Tillman needs to turn it around.
“I wish you would!”
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

As a Loyola fan, let me say this: the Maryland programs (men and women) employ the two best coaches in their sport. And most other coaches would agree, if privately anyway.

Tills' biggest problem this year is he's missing a few critical pieces that make for a championship team. The FOGO position is concerning; it looked like Hennigsen was having his best numbers until recently. Without ball control, the real weakness of the Terps comes out, and that's their collective defense. HOP dropping 16 on you is not a good look, even if Petro was forced to finally play his better bench players who should have been playing all season. It's comical that Petro didn't play Zinn until yesterday.
runrussellrun

Post by runrussellrun »

You're write, in 2017, Terps weren't much better in the CTO department, while winning it all. But, just don't recall ANY game in that season where the Terps were BEHIND by 3-4 goals......necessitating the need for a CTO.
runrussellrun

Post by runrussellrun »

Peter Brown wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2019 10:01 am As a Loyola fan, let me say this: the Maryland programs (men and women) employ the two best coaches in their sport. And most other coaches would agree, if privately anyway.

Tills' biggest problem this year is he's missing a few critical pieces that make for a championship team. The FOGO position is concerning; it looked like Hennigsen was having his best numbers until recently. Without ball control, the real weakness of the Terps comes out, and that's their collective defense. HOP dropping 16 on you is not a good look, even if Petro was forced to finally play his better bench players who should have been playing all season. It's comical that Petro didn't play Zinn until yesterday.
And what makes him good is that he knows things can be improved. He makes changes to HIS coaching ....

BUt, He needs a good mirror session to get back to knowing his Achilles heel has ALWAYS been passive defenses.
Typical Lax Dad

runrussellrun wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2019 10:05 am You're write, in 2017, Terps weren't much better in the CTO department, while winning it all. But, just don't recall ANY game in that season where the Terps were BEHIND by 3-4 goals......necessitating the need for a CTO.
It takes Maryland a lot of time to generate shots. UVA won in hoops this year and they were not, generally, a team that could come back if down late. But what does Tillman know.
“I wish you would!”
runrussellrun

Post by runrussellrun »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2019 10:11 am
runrussellrun wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2019 10:05 am You're write, in 2017, Terps weren't much better in the CTO department, while winning it all. But, just don't recall ANY game in that season where the Terps were BEHIND by 3-4 goals......necessitating the need for a CTO.
It takes Maryland a lot of time to generate shots. UVA won in hoops this year and they were not, generally, a team that could come back if down late. But what does Tillman know.
He knows that he needs to know more........which makes him a GOOD coach. But, if YOU think that game was played with any hopkins hate and the TERPS women played tougher this weekend than the mens team did, not sure what you consider effort. Intensity. Just didn't witness it. Maybe I will try to watch it in a different "context"
Typical Lax Dad

runrussellrun wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2019 9:44 am

These kids are old enough to know that life is rough! There are winners and losers in this world. If they don’t learn that lesson at 5, then when?

“I wish you would!”
Typical Lax Dad

runrussellrun wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2019 10:18 am
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2019 10:11 am
He knows that he needs to know more........which makes him a GOOD coach. But, if YOU think that game was played with any hopkins hate and the TERPS women played tougher this weekend than the mens team did, not sure what you consider effort. Intensity. Just didn't witness it. Maybe I will try to watch it in a different "context"
I said Maryland played well yesterday? Huh....I didn’t realize it.
“I wish you would!”
Cooter

Post by Cooter »

keno in reno wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2019 11:38 pm
Objectively, this team is a middling tournament team wearing Maryland jerseys. They will make the tournament not question. But of likely tournament teams, they are deficient in defense and face-off, average at goalie, deficient at offensive midfield and superior at attack. That's one winning unit which does not look good for the tournament expectations that Tillman has rightfully set.
I don't think the Terps are deficient at offensive midfield. Certainly, Fairman (36pts) and A.DeMaio (38 pts) in 14 games are having outstanding seasons. The 3rd man, Snyder or Long hasn't done so well. I sort of wonder about making the switch between Long and Snyder this late in the season - chemistry-wise. Snyder seemed to be picking up a bit as far as scoring, and Long seemed to be doing better as the main guy on the 2nd midfield. 2nd midfield scoring has been a little low, but that is often the case for the Terps.
Live Free or Die!
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Peter Brown wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2019 10:01 am As a Loyola fan, let me say this: the Maryland programs (men and women) employ the two best coaches in their sport. And most other coaches would agree, if privately anyway.

I guess the Terps have not attracted enough D1 Pole transfers for their liking? OR they are now reaching the end of year two of being removed of a true Defensive Coach/Coordinator in Conry. Tills is likely playing the journeyman role while JB is apprenticing under Tills' tutelage....which means he is working double time.

The FOGO position "should" be stress free, having both Hennigsen and the #1 HS FOGO in the country with Shockey coming in as a transfer/changed commit last year.

Bottom line, Tills has his work cut out for him, but have no doubt he is the man that can do it. He just can't drive the bus like in years past, parity has been a significant equalizer forcing coaches to transform their old ways of how they were taught or played.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
Typical Lax Dad

youthathletics wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2019 10:52 am

I guess the Terps have not attracted enough D1 Pole transfers for their liking? OR they are now reaching the end of year two of being removed of a true Defensive Coach/Coordinator in Conry. Tills is likely playing the journeyman role while JB is apprenticing under Tills' tutelage....which means he is working double time.

The FOGO position "should" be stress free, having both Hennigsen and the #1 HS FOGO in the country with Shockey coming in as a transfer/changed commit last year.

Bottom line, Tills has his work cut out for him, but have no doubt he is the man that can do it. He just can't drive the bus like in years past, parity has been a significant equalizer forcing coaches to transform their old ways of how they were taught or played.
Astute observation regarding Conry. Maryland will be fine but the 2016, 2017 teams were absolutely loaded. Closer to the pack this year.
“I wish you would!”
Wheels

Post by Wheels »

runrussellrun wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2019 10:07 am
And what makes him good is that he knows things can be improved. He makes changes to HIS coaching ....

BUt, He needs a good mirror session to get back to knowing his Achilles heel has ALWAYS been passive defenses.
Last night wasn't about a passive defense. In fact, the Terps gave up several goals from being too aggressive. When Hop would get Williams switched onto a shorty, the Terps slid immediately to him. On 2 occasions, Puglise had Williams stoned on the dodge, yet Smith slid to him anyway. Ball gets moving, finds open shooter, goal. Hop's biggest deficiency on offense is drawing slides because they only have 1 player (Epstein) who can really beat a defender. So Maryland unnecessarily sliding to Williams and then Forry Smith when both were way out on the wings and not a threat to score led to goals. Then you get the 2 goals scored on the hang up defense. With a shot clock, why rush the goalie and defenseman behind the cage to flush the attackman out? One of the times this happened was with 20 seconds on the shot clock.

Just because the Terps aren't going for stick checks doesn't mean they're not aggressive. Last night, their aggressiveness killed them and let Hop do something they've struggled to all year: draw slides.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”