Tewaaraton Finalist

D1 Mens Lacrosse
HopFan16

Re: Tewaaraton Finalist

Post by HopFan16 »

Brennan O'Neill has been the best and most consistently dominant offensive player in the country, adjusted for level of competition. Kirst would be a close #2 for me. I think it goes to whichever of those two has the better NCAA tournament/whose team goes further.
keno in reno

Post by keno in reno »

I think Cormier is UVA's top player, or at least most dangerous scoring threat. I know the stats don't back it up, but he fights through defenses and scores goals that nobody else can.
lorin

Post by lorin »

Finster wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 1:28 pm
joewillie78 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 12:25 pm If I was voting. My top 10 are:
1. Adler
2. Kirst
3. Dickson
4. O'Neil
5. Shellenberger
6. Kavanaugh
7. Zapitello
8. Mackasey
9. Melendez
10. Kurtz

I don't care if they were nominated or not. Those are my 10 best of the year......so far.

Gobigred
Joewillie78

Did DocB pay you to include Melendez? What?!?!
Just a question Dickson is very good, but his he getting the third pole on him?
Finster

Post by Finster »

10stone5 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 1:25 pm That’s not the case with Cornell.

I think both Duke and UVA have far more depth than Cornell. The offensive statistics bear that out. If you are able to lock down Coyle and Kirst (granted, no small feat), are you really worried about the rest?
Finster

Post by Finster »

keno in reno wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 1:39 pm I think Cormier is UVA's top player, or at least most dangerous scoring threat. I know the stats don't back it up, but he fights through defenses and scores goals that nobody else can.

C’mon.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

I think the fact that there are three UVA attackman having big years who have an argument to win the Tewy (and the team hardly misses a beat when one of them is out/banged up) means that none of them should win the award. They've all got eachother to lean on and pick up the slack when necessary.

O'Neill and Kirst have more on their shoulders and not as talented of a support cast, IMO. That's not necessarily the criteria for the award — it should go to the best player, period — but for me that carries a lot of weight in a year when there is no clear-cut favorite like a Lyle Thompson or a Pat Spencer.
Finster

Post by Finster »

lorin wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 1:54 pm
1. Adler
2. Kirst
3. Dickson
4. O'Neil
5. Shellenberger
6. Kavanaugh
7. Zapitello
8. Mackasey
9. Melendez
10. Kurtz

I don't care if they were nominated or not. Those are my 10 best of the year......so far.

Gobigred
Joewillie78
Just a question Dickson is very good, but his he getting the third pole on him?

I don’t know, but it really doesn’t matter. Dickson has two superb strengths that allow him to get his points: he’s got ridiculously high field IQ (he always sees ahead of time where his teammate are headed), and he knows where to shoot on every opponent goalie.

I don’t know the stats, but I’d be willing to bet his shooting percentage is in the top 5 in D1. It has to be. And he’s got 50+ goals!!
Finster

Post by Finster »

HopFan16 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 2:00 pm I think the fact that there are three UVA attackman having big years who have an argument to win the Tewy (and the team hardly misses a beat when one of them is out/banged up) means that none of them should win the award. They've all got eachother to lean on and pick up the slack when necessary.

O'Neill and Kirst have more on their shoulders and not as talented of a support cast, IMO. That's not necessarily the criteria for the award — it should go to the best player, period — but for me that carries a lot of weight in a year when there is no clear-cut favorite like a Lyle Thompson or a Pat Spencer.

Going to respectfully disagree about Duke. They’ve got 7 players with more than 20 points. That doesn’t even include Schelling, who for my money is a phenomenal lacrosse player.
lorin

Post by lorin »

Finster wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 2:04 pm
HopFan16 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 2:00 pm I think the fact that there are three UVA attackman having big years who have an argument to win the Tewy (and the team hardly misses a beat when one of them is out/banged up) means that none of them should win the award. They've all got eachother to lean on and pick up the slack when necessary.

Going to respectfully disagree about Duke. They’ve got 7 players with more than 20 points. That doesn’t even include Schelling, who for my money is a phenomenal lacrosse player.
Agree
joewillie78

Post by joewillie78 »

1. Adler
2. Kirst
3. Dickson
4. O'Neil
5. Shellenberger
6. Kavanaugh
7. Zapitello
8. Mackasey
9. Melendez
10. Kurtz

Gobigred
Joewillie78

Yes, but since the cheap SOB, only sent me a Lincoln and not a Benjamin, I voted him 9th. I told him I need at least a Grant for top 5 and a Benjamin for #1.

Gobigred
Joewillie78
another fan

Post by another fan »

lorin wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 2:32 pm

Agree
Very true for Kirst, though. Cornell has less offensive firepower, and everybody game plans to stop Kirst.
Cornell95

Post by Cornell95 »

Is the award determined after Memorial Day or do voters need to make decisions before the post season has wrapped. We can all get bogged down on PPG and SOS, I would love to see Kirst get more love for his disruptiveness on the ride. But if we were giving more weight to intangibles and stats other than Goals/Assists then Adler would run away with it 8-)

EDIT: regarding the Fr D at Lehigh... looks like an impact player. His GB total is helped by being a FO wing on a team with a dominant FOGO. Valuable contribution to be sure, but to throw that out there in comparison to Adler who rarely is a wing is misleading
Last edited by Cornell95 on Mon May 01, 2023 3:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

Maryland's Logan Wisnauskas wins Tewaaraton Award
Jun 3, 2022
They do the Tewaaraton like the Heisman, the finalists show up - and they announce it at the award banquet.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

Looks like the USILA awards are announced during the NCAAs,
5/26/2022 12:57:18 PM
USILA Announces 2022 Dynamic Division I All-Americans and Award Winners
Bookmark and Share
The United States Intercollegiate Lacrosse Association (USILA) announced the 2022 Dynamic Division I All-Americans, along with the award winners.

Award Winners:
Lt. Raymond J. Enners Outstanding Player of the Year: Logan Wisnauskas - Maryland
Lt. Col. JI Turnbull Outstanding Attackman: Chris Gray - Noth Carolina
Lt. j.g. Donald MacLaughlin Jr. Outstanding Midfielder: Sam Handley - Penn
William C. Schmeisser Defensive Player of the Year: Will Bowen - Georgetown
Ensign C. Markland Kelly Jr. Outstanding Goalie: Owen McElroy - Georgetown
keno in reno

Post by keno in reno »

another fan wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 3:11 pm

Agree
Very true for Kirst, though. Cornell has less offensive firepower, and everybody game plans to stop Kirst.
To be fair, Kirst is also going against significantly weaker defenses than O'Neill is. Either one would be a worthy winner, but a Cornell early round loss would save us all from the Kirst Family Christmas Special planned by the ESPN bobbleheads
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

keno in reno wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 3:39 pm

Agree
To be fair, Kirst is also going against significantly weaker defenses than O'Neill is. Either one would be a worthy winner, but a Cornell early round loss would save us all from the Kirst Family Christmas Special planned by the ESPN bobbleheads
Kirst is not,

At least use an asterisk.
* Standard issue ACC bias :lol:
Finster

Post by Finster »

Agree

^^I’m of two minds about this post.

Yes I agree that defenses game plan for Kirst, and so it’s maybe not as easy to put points on the board when you’re the primary focus of a defense. I’d say all three primary Tewey candidates fall in this category: Kirst, Shellenberger, O’Neill.

But also, if you’re surrounded by a lot of other offensive talent all of whom are also looking to score (Duke, UVA), it can be even more difficult to rise above that crowd. You REALLY have to stand out.

I can argue both sides.
another fan

Post by another fan »

10stone5 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 3:42 pm
keno in reno wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 3:39 pm

Agree
Kirst is not,

At least use an asterisk.
* Standard issue ACC bias :lol:
ACC bias aside, every team on the schedule has at least 1 very strong D, who will be on Kirst. And teams can slide early, double and triple team with fewer consequences without multiple other offensive stars to worry about.
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

Adler for me. And it’s a slam dunk. He’s the most dominant player in the country on maybe the best defense on a Top 5 team. He’s the guy
blue angels

Post by blue angels »

Cornell95 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 3:22 pm Is the award determined after Memorial Day or do voters need to make decisions before the post season has wrapped. We can all get bogged down on PPG and SOS, I would love to see Kirst get more love for his disruptiveness on the ride. But if we were giving more weight to intangibles and stats other than Goals/Assists then Adler would run away with it 8-)

EDIT: regarding the Fr D at Lehigh... looks like an impact player. His GB total is helped by being a FO wing on a team with a dominant FOGO. Valuable contribution to be sure, but to throw that out there in comparison to Adler who rarely is a wing is misleading
Looks to me like O' Neill is the leader at this point, but any early exit by any team, likely dooms their candidate. By the same token, someone, not now considered as likely, who has a hot tournament could win the thing unexpectedly. They vote after the tournament, so forget it, if you have an early exit. Who has Cornell beaten/played in the top 5 and the top 10? They may be really good, but their players haven't gotten their points against the same caliber of defenses that O' Neill and several others have. We will learn a lot about some of these non Big 10/ACC squads and players at the tournament one way or another.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”