Rutgers 2025

D1 Mens Lacrosse
Henpecked

Re: Rutgers 2023

Post by Henpecked »

Rutgers has two wins against teams with winning records. I think they need to win at least 3 more for a shot at an at-large bid. I could be wrong but 2 might not be enough.

Penn State Friday should be a fun game
jerseyjames

Post by jerseyjames »

Well lets not be crazy here hen, 3 wins would be more then enough, that would either be a win at PSU and getting to the B1G final or straight up winning the B1G which makes this convo irrelevant.

2 should be good because anyway you slice it, it means you're getting atleast 1 top 10 win
gymman1031

Post by gymman1031 »

Pretty much do-or-die tonight at Penn State. Does Rutgers get it done?
BigTom5

Post by BigTom5 »

Yikes
BigTom5

Post by BigTom5 »

Seems like it’s time for the post-mortem. Since the thread has gone dormant I’ll kick things off. When the transfers you bring in aren’t better than the transfers you had graduate, this is the result. Big steps back at goalie and SSDM turned a top rate defense into just an above average unit, and the offense lacked dodgers to really challenge any decent defensive teams. An easy run through a not so intimidating out of conference slate did not prepare the team for league play, leading to a 1-5 finish to the season. Let’s hope they strike it big in the transfer portal this offseason so they can have one more season of relevance before all COVID eligibility runs dry.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

I’ll just re-post what I posted in the Terps thread ——>

Well,
Brecht’s transfer strategy got the Knights to a Final Four, got Rutgers back to winning lacrosse - so there is that.

As far as recruits, it sure looks like Rutgers has solid recruits lined up including this past year’s incoming class - some solid schools Brecht is recruiting from - all this, despite the usual doom and gloom of recruiting to Rutgers.

And I’ll add,
next year’s freshmen class looks decent as well,
and in 2024 they have the youngest and final Kirst coming to Rutgers, maybe that will be enough to convince CJ Kirst to use his last year of eligibility at Rutgers.

I don’t know at all if Rutger’s recruiting is allowing them to keep up with the other B1Gs.
jff97

Post by jff97 »

10stone5 wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 12:32 pm I’ll just re-post what I posted in the Terps thread ——>

Well,
Brecht’s transfer strategy got the Knights to a Final Four, got Rutgers back to winning lacrosse - so there is that.

As far as recruits, it sure looks like Rutgers has solid recruits lined up including this past year’s incoming class - some solid schools Brecht is recruiting from - all this, despite the usual doom and gloom of recruiting to Rutgers.

And I’ll add,
next year’s freshmen class looks decent as well,
and in 2024 they have the youngest and final Kirst coming to Rutgers, maybe that will be enough to convince CJ Kirst to use his last year of eligibility at Rutgers.

I don’t know at all if Rutger’s recruiting is allowing them to keep up with the other B1Gs.
Rutgers recruiting has generally been the weakest among B1G teams. The 2022 class was its best in recent years, and they have 2 4-star commits in 2023 but none for 2024, which is concerning because recruiting for 2024 came after their Final Four run. The 2 combined 4 and 5 star players on '23 and '24 is pretty far behind the other schools in the conference.
JHU-13 4 stars
MD 4 5 stars, 8 4 stars
Michigan-12 4 stars
Ohio St. 1 5 star, 9 4 stars
Penn St. 1 5 star, 13 4 stars
Rutgers-2 4 stars
Of course recruiting isn't the end all, be all, but it's much easier to have a higher talent floor than it is to do more with less and look for transfers to fill gaps every year. It's something Rutgers will have to figure out after next year when the COVID year stops being a thing.
Wheels

Post by Wheels »

BigTom5 wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 9:54 am Seems like it’s time for the post-mortem. Since the thread has gone dormant I’ll kick things off. When the transfers you bring in aren’t better than the transfers you had graduate, this is the result. Big steps back at goalie and SSDM turned a top rate defense into just an above average unit, and the offense lacked dodgers to really challenge any decent defensive teams. An easy run through a not so intimidating out of conference slate did not prepare the team for league play, leading to a 1-5 finish to the season. Let’s hope they strike it big in the transfer portal this offseason so they can have one more season of relevance before all COVID eligibility runs dry.
IMO, the reliance on the portal will be a problem moving forward. Brecht needs to develop the roster first and foremost with traditional HS recruits. Supplementing a piece here or there through the portal will work, but the wholesale reliance on the portal to just reload will bring more diminishing returns. Losing 21 seniors all but means Brecht will hit the portal hard, but I think if he does, he should focus on freshman/sophomores.
Njlaxx11

Post by Njlaxx11 »

this year offense was the problem. when you bring in 4 SSDM's in the portal, you're not going to succeed. Sprock was nowhere near the same this year after the injury - so basically it was all on Knobloch. Attack had no real threat out of Scott and you can see how much the team was affected in games where he was effectively shut down.

again next year - defense and goalie are going to be an issue. i think mullin did a great job taking over as starter. losing russo, apgar, rall, etc is going to be real hard to replace.

next years attack figures to have Aimone going back to his natural spot with Kulas and a combo of Kurdyla/Murphy? Midfield is again Knobloch and who?

recruiting classes don't look phenomenal - maybe they can get some dudes from the portal again to help.
PALax11

Post by PALax11 »

Njlaxx11 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 8:48 am this year offense was the problem. when you bring in 4 SSDM's in the portal, you're not going to succeed. Sprock was nowhere near the same this year after the injury - so basically it was all on Knobloch. Attack had no real threat out of Scott and you can see how much the team was affected in games where he was effectively shut down.

again next year - defense and goalie are going to be an issue. i think mullin did a great job taking over as starter. losing russo, apgar, rall, etc is going to be real hard to replace.

next years attack figures to have Aimone going back to his natural spot with Kulas and a combo of Kurdyla/Murphy? Midfield is again Knobloch and who?

recruiting classes don't look phenomenal - maybe they can get some dudes from the portal again to help.
This assumes Scott doesn't return for his 5th year? I would be surprised if he didn't return.
Njlaxx11

Post by Njlaxx11 »

PALax11 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 9:28 am
Njlaxx11 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 8:48 am this year offense was the problem. when you bring in 4 SSDM's in the portal, you're not going to succeed. Sprock was nowhere near the same this year after the injury - so basically it was all on Knobloch. Attack had no real threat out of Scott and you can see how much the team was affected in games where he was effectively shut down.

This assumes Scott doesn't return for his 5th year? I would be surprised if he didn't return.
forgot he had that option.
Asgot

Post by Asgot »

Brecht appears to have the same issue next year as he did this year. he had to replace all of ssdm and while he got kids they were nowhere near as good. the entire defense leaves as does Rall. I know that he is bringing in a pole as a transfer from W&L but he really does not have much in the cupboard.

SSDM could be an issue as Reynolds and Macheca are the 2 primary SSDM returning and both of them have other roles to fill. Reynolds at close and Macheca as on O-middie.

They lose their top 2 faceoff kids and they only have one other on the roster, so this will be a massive need out of the portal

lose the top 2 goalies, this is where it gets tricky, they only have 2 returning plus the freshman coming in. Do you go goalie shopping in the portal or do you let the freshman and sophomore fight it out? do you bring in a goalie for depth? going into next season with only 3 goalies seems like s risky venture.

The offense is a major issue: I am hearing that Scott loves Rutgers and if he uses his extra year it would be with Rutgers, But, there is now also NIL to consider. Knobloch is really good and a weapon but who fills the other roles? I think Aimone gets one of those spots whether at attack or midfield depending on Whether Peters can become that lefty on attack they want. but, I think that either Kurdyla or Murphy get the 3rd spot at attack. I do not know if I am down on Kulas or down on how we have been using him. But, of the middies we used on Saturday Ringer, Civetti, Sprock and Kim as all done. Saw Kurdyla a little (far too little IMO) and did not see Teresky at all

Do not be surprised if the Younger Kurdyla gets fast-tracked for playing time as he has a D-1 body right now and can shoot with both hands already.

Is this enough to be competitive in the Big Ten next year?
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

If I'm Rutgers I'm avoiding the portal this year unless it's for a no-brainer star like a Sam Handley. Dipping back into the portal to paper over a lack of depth at certain positions is just going to compound their longterm roster construction issues. They need to start adjusting to life post-Covid year eligibility. Play your homegrown younger guys. You'll take your lumps for the next year or two (they might anyway, even with portal help) but they'll be better for it in the long run. Bringing in a half dozen or more low-to-medium impact transfers does not materially help the program.
Asgot

Post by Asgot »

HopFan16 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 10:55 am If I'm Rutgers I'm avoiding the portal this year unless it's for a no-brainer star like a Sam Handley. Dipping back into the portal to paper over a lack of depth at certain positions is just going to compound their longterm roster construction issues. They need to start adjusting to life post-Covid year eligibility. Play your homegrown younger guys. You'll take your lumps for the next year or two (they might anyway, even with portal help) but they'll be better for it in the long run. Bringing in a half dozen or more low-to-medium impact transfers does not materially help the program.
I don't think that they can with their need for a fogo, defense and possible a goalie
livelovelax

Post by livelovelax »

The transfer portal is not going away unless new rules are put in place to prohibit this new form of recruiting. Rutgers lost most of their games down the stretch because of 3-4 things. Don't win enough FOs and have not in 8-10 years. Lost Brian Cameron who was a strong lefty crease attackman who opened things up for Knobloch and Scott. Once he went down, opponents poled and double poled Knobloch and Scott. And while they had a solid core of defenseman, the ball watching and scheme they employed defensively led to wide open cutters for easy goals. Too many early slides and ball watching when ball was at X. Infuriating. Lastly, they never got the "nascar" up tempo going that led to so many juice goals in the past few years. Rutgers will be fine as they do have players. They may need to move several guys from offense to SSDM to get that mojo back and they will need to get 2 close defensive guys from the portal.

Don't be shocked if Scott comes back…….and maybe Sprock, who was not fully healthy. If they do come back and Rutgers can land a hammer like Kirst or Bartolo, all will be well in Piscataway. Cardin Stoller will probably be the guy in goal (hearing good things) and they will need another goalie from the portal. Kyle Mullins did a really nice job in cage so you never know who comes in. Who will be the next Jack Aimone who steps up in 24? The culture is solid but losing brings out the cynics. See Hopkins and Penn State the last several years.

Once Rutgers builds their lax only stadium, hopefully 6-8K, watch out. Scarlet nation will come in droves if RU is competitive.
Henpecked

Post by Henpecked »

livelovelax wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 11:30 am The transfer portal is not going away unless new rules are put in place to prohibit this new form of recruiting. Rutgers lost most of their games down the stretch because of 3-4 things. Don't win enough FOs and have not in 8-10 years. Lost Brian Cameron who was a strong lefty crease attackman who opened things up for Knobloch and Scott. Once he went down, opponents poled and double poled Knobloch and Scott. And while they had a solid core of defenseman, the ball watching and scheme they employed defensively led to wide open cutters for easy goals. Too many early slides and ball watching when ball was at X. Infuriating. Lastly, they never got the "nascar" up tempo going that led to so many juice goals in the past few years. Rutgers will be fine as they do have players. They may need to move several guys from offense to SSDM to get that mojo back and they will need to get 2 close defensive guys from the portal.

Don't be shocked if Scott comes back…….and maybe Sprock, who was not fully healthy. If they do come back and Rutgers can land a hammer like Kirst or Bartolo, all will be well in Piscataway. Cardin Stoller will probably be the guy in goal (hearing good things) and they will need another goalie from the portal. Kyle Mullins did a really nice job in cage so you never know who comes in. Who will be the next Jack Aimone who steps up in 24? The culture is solid but losing brings out the cynics. See Hopkins and Penn State the last several years.

Once Rutgers builds their lax only stadium, hopefully 6-8K, watch out. Scarlet nation will come in droves if RU is competitive.
Not sure why people only have a problem with Rutgers using the portal. Makes no sense to single out one team when every successful team that can use the portal, does use it. Coach Brecht has done a great job with the portal and will continue to do so. No apologies needed.

Anyway, i think you are spot on about Rutgers future. If they can bring in transfers like Kirst and Bartolo there is no reason they cannot get back to the big tournament. Most teams would die to have the core three of Knobloch, Scott and a healthy Sprock. Defense will be the challenge as you noted.
LaxAllStars

Post by LaxAllStars »

Post by 1766 »

Some tough breaks this year on the injury front and the team just couldn't overcome them. Gotta respect their heart. The players never give up. Let's see what happens with the tournament.

The future looks bright either way. Movement is being made on the stadium and like every top level team, the portal is going to be in play, combined with another uptick in recruiting.
Wheels

Post by Wheels »

Henpecked wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 11:55 am

Not sure why people only have a problem with Rutgers using the portal. Makes no sense to single out one team when every successful team that can use the portal, does use it. Coach Brecht has done a great job with the portal and will continue to do so. No apologies needed.

Anyway, i think you are spot on about Rutgers future. If they can bring in transfers like Kirst and Bartolo there is no reason they cannot get back to the big tournament. Most teams would die to have the core three of Knobloch, Scott and a healthy Sprock. Defense will be the challenge as you noted.
I could be wrong, but at least in the B1G, RU uses the portal more heavily than the other schools. OSU, from what I can gather, uses it the most outside of Rutgers. Both really struggled this year after graduation hit their 2022 teams really hard. The reload through the portal strategy did not work well for either program this season.

Transferring in non-revs has always happened. The only thing the portal has done is made the supply of players more visible. Lacrosse has never had the one-year sit out that basketball and football had for transfers. But that transfer market happened more like a hush-hush black market.

What will go away is the COVID bonus year, so the pool of portal players will probably decrease...but we don't even really know what it was before anyway so there's no baseline to compare it to.

What we see in football and basketball with the portal is that big time programs can pull transfers out of nearly any school, and there's a trickle down effect from there. The portal definitely has the potential to hurt the ASUN/MAAC schools more than the ACC/B1G schools. A MAAC school can find an under recruited kid, develop them for a year or two, and have them poached. That's probably what the lacrosse market will end up looking like. Rich will get richer.

IMO, Rutgers needs to develop more home-grown depth and only selectively supplement via the portal. Even then, I think they'd benefit from getting transfers that have 2 or 3 years left to play. NJ is a net exporter of lacrosse talent. I'm sure there's lots of freshmen at places that get homesick or realize their first choice isn't a good fit. Those types of portal kids are probably worth taking. They've been in a college program. They know the expectations. They're making more informed decisions the second time because they've learned.
Njlaxx11

Post by Njlaxx11 »

chances any of the princeton transfers wanna stay in state?

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”