VMI 2019

D1 Mens Lacrosse
BozoStinger

Re: VMI 2019

Post by BozoStinger »

The Keydets looked very solid on Saturday in scrimmage 1 vs Marist and walked away on top 10-8.

As far as the schedule goes, it is exactly the same as last year’s dance card.
genesrfree

Post by genesrfree »

Since this is Birsner's year 4, I expect significant things from him and the team. How did the scrimmage against Washington go?? I would expect with the weak schedule this year, that there should be at least 3 wins, which would be an improvement. Rah Va Mil.
BozoStinger

Post by BozoStinger »

"Hope" may be a better word.

I HOPE they will win more than they lose; that's all I will commit to other than, they look better this year than they have in the past 4 or 5, by far. They look different and the relationships seem to have evolved and matured. I am a big fan of this year's campaign and the way they look right now.

After watching them beat both Marist (10-8) and Washington College (10-9, yesterday) in scrimmages this winter, it seems like they may be able to pull off some upsets. I hope they cash in on that potential.

I will say it again, this spring's schedule is a carbon copy of 2018's, flip flopping all H-A status except for UVA. VMI will visit UVA again this spring.

Go Keydets. RVM.
genesrfree

Post by genesrfree »

Great to hear they won both scrimmages. Perhaps things are on the way up!
Dip&Dunk

Post by Dip&Dunk »

Great win today. Coming back from down 6-9 to win over Manhattan 11-10. Perfect start to the season. Learn the lesson they can overcome a deficit and beat a good team.

Weather turned out to be quite nice. VMI got ahead 2-0, lost lead 2-3 in second quarter only to gain it back 4-3 at half. Manhattan owed the third quarter taking the above mentioned 6-9 lead into the fourth. Rest is history.

Congrats to the coach, the team and VMI.
BozoStinger

Post by BozoStinger »

VMI looked strong yesterday. Way to go, men!
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Happy to see Sean Doyle having an early impact alongside the staff and players.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
Dip&Dunk

Post by Dip&Dunk »

2-0! First time in 34 years!

3-2 end of 1st
7-4 at half
10-6 end of third
15-8 final (last two goals empty net)

My “player” of the game is the strength and conditioning coach. NJIT players must of tried to bulrush defensive players 20 times and basically each time we held our own.
Dip&Dunk

Post by Dip&Dunk »

Not a bad loss, not a good loss.

Not there isn’t an area that couldn’t be improved on. Face offs, goalie, slides, etc. but if I had just one area to improve it would be man up. I don’t think we have scored a man up goal this year. Not many opportunities in first two games but, for example, we were up one or two players for what seemed most of the third period and were 0 for...

Good job to the Mount. Either their goalie was hot or we made him look good. Probably both.

Ok, moving on. Next game Tuesday so focus on improving and let’s go KeyDets.
BozoStinger

Post by BozoStinger »

Keydets over Wagner 15-10 on Staten Island

Entertaining game, at least for a Keydet.

VMI with 9 goal scorers on 15 goals. Pretty awesome.
Dip&Dunk

Post by Dip&Dunk »

3-1! And not done yet. Challenges in the near term but today they kept up the pressure all the way through.....developing a winning attitude. Nice win.
ctbagataway

Post by ctbagataway »

Really happy for the team, especially all of those seniors who have stuck it out. Sure it is early, it 3-1 has to feel really good to those guys.
genesrfree

Post by genesrfree »

And the way the SoCon . is shaping up they may win more which would be great. Although I have mentioned the watered down schedule several times, I think it makes sense versus playing St. Joe's Army and Navy and getting your heads pounded to start the season. These guys are on a roll and the game against Richmond should be a good one. I can see opportunities against Bellarmine, Mercer and Furman for sure, maybe AFA as well. Keep it up!!
Dip&Dunk

Post by Dip&Dunk »

Ok, a reminder of the possible. A loss like this isn’t so bad when other teams on the schedule are beatable. Control what you can. Learn from what you can’t. Know the difference and improve.
BozoStinger

Post by BozoStinger »

D+D: Best post ever.
Dip&Dunk

Post by Dip&Dunk »

Season overview to date: have come a long way (double last two years total wins), let a game get out of hand early but battled back to lose by one, still have too many wide margin losses.

Believe this is exactly where VMI should be. This is the first year VMI has had true upperclassmen (Juniors) on the team, in any numbers, that have come up in the system. The lack of upper class depth plus next year’s quality incoming class will allow another step forward.

Now, let’s get our coach off of a year to year contract before we lose him.
genesrfree

Post by genesrfree »

Agree with comments but, need to remove Hampton from the schedule next year. I think it fair to play them a couple of times but no longer. Starters padding their stats, they should've sat the whole game.
Dip&Dunk

Post by Dip&Dunk »

Would rather schedule them earlier in season. Need a game or games to see how chemistry works and basically practice against live team. This is particularly important as VMI’s fall ball starts n stops will the W&L game while other programs are creating a second season and getting the kinks out.

Also, the incoming class imo is the best class VMI has ever brought in. Their quick integration will only help the whole team.

2019 has set a foundation. Double the wins of last two years but also pointed out we need double the talent to get to doubling the wins again. Next year will have the first class being under this system all four years and is bringing in the first class that sees what VMI can be rather than what they were.

My glass is half full.
genesrfree

Post by genesrfree »

dip-the program has won almost all of it's games in the last 4 years against the same 2 teams, Hampton and NJIT. Yes, this year was an improvement. The problem unfortunately is bigger than just lacrosse because every team is the same; football and basketball (once a good program) are bad every year and the reason is administration. Until VMI starts treating athletes different this situation will repeat. Every other service academy and The Citadel treat athletes differently, not VMI. I'll give you 2 real examples, a lax player in the fall injures his ankle Friday in practice, next day has to do a 19 mile hike (run) for FTX with an injured ankle-stupidity! Further injury. Athletes are fed slop daily. This isn't the case at AFA, USNA, USMA and Citadel. These things need to change to give athletes the chance to eat more healthy etc. Facilities need to improve to compete well.

Lacrosse has had a huge uptick in funding and that should help bringing in talent. I'm not sure a 20-6 drubbing by a mediocre Furman was the way to end the season, but the reality is most VMI lacrosse teams start the season well, but finish this way...reason, because they have so much to deal with in between that they are just worn down.

We've discussed this on these blogs for years and my hopes are things will change but I think the biggest changes will occur when administration starts to give all athletes a better environment to compete.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”