SUNYAC 2023

D3 Mens Lacrosse
dp68

Re: SUNYAC 2023

Post by dp68 »

Leonard Washington wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2023 10:31 pm Says a ton about where Nazareth is going as opposed to Cortland. 2 totally different directions it seems
Yes, a ton. I'm not sure what to make of Cortland. After a horrible start in 2022, they rallied, won the SUNYAC, beat some very good teams, and came within an eyelash of knocking off St. Lawrence in the playoffs. Last year carried into this year and featured Cortland beating two solid teams in Fisher and Scranton before giving Salisbury a decent game (no small feat). Now they're back to where the way at the beginning of 2022. They look slow and out of sorts, and maybe even a little unmotivated. How else do you explain pushing RIT in a 5-goal loss, but losing convincingly to Naz?

Bottom line - the SUNYAC is full of good young coaches. Geneseo's record speaks for itself, New Paltz is growing fast, and I really love Oswego hiring Sean Eccles. Cortland has gone nowhere but backward since their strong playoff run in 2013. It's time for some new ideas.
Leonard Washington

Post by Leonard Washington »

dp68 wrote: Wed Apr 05, 2023 6:49 pm [I really love Oswego hiring Sean Eccles.
Andrew Daly is at Oswego now , not Eccles (neither coach or player). 8-)
First of all, ya better check your tone. I dont think you know who you're talking to. I'm Leonard Washington...I don't get butt naked for nobody!!
dp68

Post by dp68 »

Weird. Inside Lacrosse lists Eccles as Oswego's interim HC. Thanks for the correction.
Leonard Washington

Does seem like Cortland is sleep walking , yet again. Geneseo has always been up and motivated to play them and regardless of outcome, come back the next game/year hungry for more.

Changing of the guard in the SUNYAC?

Possibly. Just need to see it twice in one season. Cortland might just Undertaker Gif all of us again lol
First of all, ya better check your tone. I dont think you know who you're talking to. I'm Leonard Washington...I don't get butt naked for nobody!!
dp68

Post by dp68 »

Leonard Washington wrote: Wed Apr 05, 2023 7:47 pm Does seem like Cortland is sleep walking , yet again. Geneseo has always been up and motivated to play them and regardless of outcome, come back the next game/year hungry for more.

Changing of the guard in the SUNYAC?

Possibly. Just need to see it twice in one season. Cortland might just Undertaker Gif all of us again lol
Would I be shocked if Cortland put it together and won the SUNY tournament? Nope. I also wouldn't be shocked if they lost another SUNY game before the end of the season. They're a total wildcard. And I agree with you that Cortland is essentially Dracula. Until the stake is in the heart and the credits finish rolling, everyone expects them to rise.

But I'd say there's a definite changing of the guard. Geneseo is the team to beat for the next 2-3 years, and I'm basing that on recruiting, young talent, and coaching, regardless of how this year ends up.

I've been a Cortland fan since 1980 (dating myself, yes). In fact, I became a lacrosse fan by watching those classic teams play. But the writing is on the wall. Cortland is no longer a national championship contender and hasn't been in a decade, and now they're probably not even a tournament team or the team to beat in a fairly mediocre conference.

Geneseo is exciting and has the talent to make noise in the NCAA's. New Paltz is spinning up as fast as many of us hoped. I'm not a buyer on Oneonta after what Skidmore did to them, but they're clearly playing better. And Brockport, fwiw, gave Naz a tougher game than Cortland. Go figure.

Geneseo and New Paltz interest me. The NESCAC interests me, as does the Liberty League. I wish I enjoyed Cortland lacrosse like I used to, but they don't put an exciting product on the field.
Dadlax

Post by Dadlax »

Cortland is a mystery. Geneseo is the team to beat. New paltz has too many question marks. Oneonta is interesting too. With the addition of the freshman O’Neill, that could help to propel the entire program into the top tier in the conference. Coach Owens was given a gift and that could help with recruiting. It’s getting exciting!!
Dadlax

Post by Dadlax »

And don’t look too deep into the Oneonta / Skidmore game. For some unknown reason, coach Owens started the freshman goalie??? I think that move totally derailed the team on that day. Not saying Oneonta would have won if the junior goalie started, but I’m certain the goal differential would have been much smaller. Compare the Oneonta / Stevens game. Oneonta lost by 5 and the junior goalie had 23 saves. There is talent in that Oneonta team, but are they ready to compete with geneseo? If the offensive cast can support the freshman O’Neill and generate some offense, things could get interesting.
Leonard Washington

Dadlax wrote: Wed Apr 05, 2023 9:57 pm There is talent in that Oneonta team, but are they ready to compete with geneseo?
It has been like that for well over a decade and yes they are
dp68

Post by dp68 »

Oswego dropped Oneonta. Meanwhile, Salisbury throttled CNU. I felt after Salisbury beat Cortland that they could win it all. Feel even stronger about that now.
Dadlax

Post by Dadlax »

Oneonta got out coached! Sad they can’t produce any offense. Cortland is good, but New Paltz showed us talent and confidence in the loss. Geneseo is by far the best team in the conference. Oswego is at the top of the conference, but that won’t last long.
Dadlax

Post by Dadlax »

Things are shaping up. Really looking forward to the Oswego vs Cortland and the Oneonta vs New Paltz games. If Oneonta can keep putting up points, they should be in the top four in the end. Oswego surprised me, they’re winning with great defense and FOGO play.
Leonard Washington

SUNYAC

(Playoff) Standings should be

1 Geneseo
2 Cortland
3 Oswego
4 Oneonta
laxrules

Post by laxrules »

I say Cortland wins the Sunyac Championship!
Leonard Washington

laxrules wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2023 11:17 pm I say Cortland wins the Sunyac Championship!
If they run and execute their zone like they did against Ithaca today, they have a pretty solid chance
dp68

Post by dp68 »

Leonard Washington wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2023 9:19 pm
laxrules wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2023 11:17 pm I say Cortland wins the Sunyac Championship!
If they run and execute their zone like they did against Ithaca today, they have a pretty solid chance
No question. But which Cortland will show up? They’re an excellent team when they’re on, but as you said, they seem to sleepwalk through games at times.

Cortland was faster, more physical, and more skilled than Ithaca. Very impressive performance.
dp68

Post by dp68 »

Leonard Washington wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2023 9:16 pm SUNYAC

1 Geneseo
2 Cortland
3 Oswego
4 Oneonta
Interesting that SUNY New Paltz still controls its own destiny. If they take care of business, beat Oneonta, and Oneonta loses to Geneseo (100% chance of occurrence), New Paltz is in and Oneonta is out.
Leonard Washington

dp68 wrote: Sat Apr 22, 2023 1:56 pm New Paltz is in and Oneonta is out.
Not sure New Paltz can cover both Krieg and O'Neil.

They (New Paltz) do have a sneaky solid attack. If Steinhart gets hot, they have a chance.

Early prediction is Oneonta by 4
dp68

Post by dp68 »

Leonard Washington wrote: Sat Apr 22, 2023 8:54 pm
dp68 wrote: Sat Apr 22, 2023 1:56 pm New Paltz is in and Oneonta is out.
Not sure New Paltz can cover both Krieg and O'Neil.

They (New Paltz) do have a sneaky solid attack. If Steinhart gets hot, they have a chance.

Early prediction is Oneonta by 4
I'll place my bets accordingly. :lol:

Figuring the Cortland-Oneonta game would be a blowout, I drove over to watch IC-Union yesterday. That was a fun game. Were it not for Union's FOGO, I think Ithaca might have taken them.
kuzandrat

Post by kuzandrat »

dp68 wrote: Sat Apr 22, 2023 1:56 pm
Leonard Washington wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2023 9:16 pm SUNYAC

1 Geneseo
2 Cortland
3 Oswego
4 Oneonta
Interesting that SUNY New Paltz still controls its own destiny. If they take care of business, beat Oneonta, and Oneonta loses to Geneseo (100% chance of occurrence), New Paltz is in and Oneonta is out.
So what happens if Geneseo beats Brockport, New Paltz beats oneonta, Oneonta loses to Geneseo, and Brockport beats New Paltz? There could be a three way tie for 4th with 3 teams at 3-4? What would be the tiebreakers if all three split with each other? :? :?
dp68

Post by dp68 »

New Paltz beat Oneonta 14-13 (OT) to stay alive for the #4 playoff spot. Oneonta's competitiveness comes down to O'Neill choosing their program. New Paltz is building a better overall team and will soon become a real problem in the SUNYAC.

Cortland murdered Oswego 22-5. I checked the IL fan picks and saw someone chose Oswego to win on the road. Yikes.

Geneseo should handle Brockport tonight and clinch the #1 seed.

Return to “D3 MENS LACROSSE”