Holy Cross

D1 Mens Lacrosse
crusader66

Re: Holy Cross 2019

Post by crusader66 »

Agree. No reason not to believe we have good chance to win friday. Lehigh is struggling with lackluster performances vs. Robert Morris and Bucknell. We play our game and value the ball we should win
wahoomurf

Post by wahoomurf »

HCDC wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 12:26 pm 4 in a row vs Colgate too. HC had been 1-21 v. the Red Raiders before 2016.

O’Connell and the faceoff unit won 17 of 20. Two of Colgate’s three FO wins came as a result of a violation on HC, so Colgate only won 1 FO where there was no violation. It’s not just O’Connell. Murphy and Hannan are getting it done on the wings.

HC has only been over .500 after 10 games once in the PL era - 2013, when they were 6-5. They finished that season 7-8. There was also one time that they were at .500 after 10 games - 2015, when they were 5-5. They finished that season 6-7.

BU looks tough and are likely gaining confidence with wins over Army and Loyola the last two weeks. But HC is playing well too.

I’d be working on improving the clearing game and getting ready for BU to throw out some 10-man ride. HC needs to value every possession and clear at a better rate than they have been.
Hannan's Grandfather is my next door neighbor.I bring him a cumulative stat sheet every Tuesday.He's mighty proud of his grandson.Suffice to say,I like Murphy's last name in addition to his tenacity.

I was surprised to see an attackman listed among the ground ball leaders. I now read Kevin's plays on the FO wing....and doing a good job.

My experience as a player,coach and all-around lacrosse junkie,continually reminds me picking up ground balls is such an integral component to a successful season.Congratulations to the HC team.

Finish strong.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Nice post wahoo. Agree completely on the GB comment.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
thetruth

Post by thetruth »

Absolutely agree on GBs too and Holy Cross’s rope unit has been excellent this season.
Lax315

Post by Lax315 »

Great win!!! Congrats to the boys and coaching staff!!
HCDC

Post by HCDC »

No HC team has finished a season at or better than .500 since 1988. Ronald Reagan was President, the Berlin Wall still stood, Wrigley Field still did not have lights. Win or lose in the PL tournament, this HC team will accomplish that feat ... and finish no worse than 0.500.

Great to earn the spot in the PL tourney with a win rather than back into it with someone else’s loss. Team is getting better every game and there is no reason they can’t take one from Army.

Peter Burke for President in 2020?
Hawkeye

Post by Hawkeye »

HCDC wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2019 8:52 pm No HC team has finished a season at or better than .500 since 1988. Ronald Reagan was President, the Berlin Wall still stood, Wrigley Field still did not have lights. Win or lose in the PL tournament, this HC team will accomplish that feat ... and finish no worse than 0.500.

Great to earn the spot in the PL tourney with a win rather than back into it with someone else’s loss. Team is getting better every game and there is no reason they can’t take one from Army.

Peter Burke for President in 2020?
Burke should legitimately be a coach of the year candidate. He may be overlooked for a candidate on a "sexier" team, but Holy Cross has far exceeded expectations and the defense is one of the best in the country.
Georgia Tech alumnus
2019 Georgia Tech lacrosse final record: 18-2; MCLA semifinalist
-
College lacrosse television schedules: https://markmhart9.wixsite.com/mysite
calourie

Post by calourie »

As a follower of New England D1 lacrosse I have been very impressed by the transformation of the HC program this year. With all the prospective returning players I will boldly project the Crusaders will be even better next year. But of course first things first, starting with Army this week in the PL tourney. Keep up the good work.
HCBosfan

Post by HCBosfan »

This team is just getting started. The whole night you knew this was their game. Been saying Burke is the best thing to happen to this program. He should be Coach of the Year not only in the Patriot League but in the NCAA. He is a solid guy who has a great future. Prospective high school Laxers, this is the type of coach you want to play for. Fair, Hard Working, Bright and holds a high bar for his players. Best thing to come out of Walpole since, well, lets just say he is the best thing to come out of Walpole.
crusader66

Post by crusader66 »

Agree Burke has to be Coach of year. Prognosticators had us finishing 8th! Winners of 5 of last 6. Peaking at right time!
houndace1

Post by houndace1 »

Loyola fan here.

Regardless of how this season finishes for HC i just want to commend you guys for an absolutely fantastic season. Many, including myself, did not expect HC to have such a surprising season. I knew that this team was a lot better than many predicted once you dropped 15 goals on us. Honestly, you have a great coach/staff, with guys WHO WANT to play for this staff. The culture is set, and the future looks bright in Worcester. Congrats on the lehigh win and if we end up facing you in the PL Semis, just know that i'll be very anxious that game
Loyola '18
A.M.D.G
HCBosfan

Post by HCBosfan »

Tough way to go out today. Army just had us on Defense, O'Connell went 19-22 so we had that advantage to take care of biz. Just was not the Crusaders day. Hopeful for the future, this program has turned around. Thanks to the Coaches and Seniors for their efforts.
Lax315

Post by Lax315 »

Tough loss last night to Army- stats belie the outcome!
Thank you for an exciting, edge of your seat end of the season!! Can’t wait to see what lies ahead for this this talented group of men and their brilliant coaches!!
Saders in 2020!
crusader66

Post by crusader66 »

Promising times ahead.
Lax315

Post by Lax315 »

Advocate for our coaches to be permanent!!!
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Lax315 wrote: Sun May 12, 2019 7:37 am Advocate for our coaches to be permanent!!!
+1
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
crusader66

Holy Cross 2020

Post by crusader66 »

Onward and upwaard Boyz
HCBosfan

Re: Holy Cross 2020

Post by HCBosfan »

Just not there yet 66, still happy about 2019 results for the program in general and the culture.
crusader66

Post by crusader66 »

Move on HCBos. Can't live in the past. House is in good shape. Look forward to new recruits and continuing building the program
Sllaxdad

Post by Sllaxdad »

I was reluctant to post here since finals only concluded yesterday, the kids are now at Cape Week and graduation is more than a week away... but since we now have a new AD and ... my thoughts:

1. Hire Coach Burke, 5 year deal. Let him represent to the high school juniors he is now recruiting that he will be here through their 4 years and pay him. He could have a long run and make lax a marque sport on the Hill.

2. Budget. Allocate more money for the assistant coaches. This will also help with recruiting, networking events etc.. and provide administrator and/or internal support. This is not high school and parents should not be needed to assist the staff with tasks to support the team. The coaches and players put in a lot of time, perform in the classroom and on the field, they have earned more support from the school’s athletic department.

3. Scholarships. Can we get to the middle of the PL please in terms of scholies. We now go toe to toe, compete and beat the fully funded programs (Loyola, Lehigh, BU, Army, Navy, PC, VT, Harvard and Brown) with a few more $ to allocate, the team would be deeper and help the staff attract who they believe will fit academically/athletically at the school.

4. Alumni. The Crusader Lacrosse Club has lost momentum. With more money and a marketing admin, the coordination between the school and the Club will increase, alumni dollars and networking for the boys will be enhanced.. no downside here.

5. Scheduling. Love the schedule. Travel is manageable and the competition is appropriate. Look to add a non-conference game between the 2 academy games if a 14th game is in the offering.

The seniors paid their dues and helped pour a solid foundation. First team to finish 500 in both league and overall (7-7 and 4-4) and to qualify for the PL tourney 3 out of 4 years (advancing to semis as sophomores). A PL 1st team player, 3 2nd teamers and a top 10 defense. The face-off group was also nationally ranked. Perfect academic team ranking. Burke should have been coach of the year. With the O, FO and goalie returning, a few kids who have the ability to immediately step in, all truly great kids and players, next year should build upon this group. It was fun ride.

Cheers.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”