D1 Mens Lacrosse
10stone5

Re: Cornell 2023

Post by 10stone5 »

Culver L, 12-13
Apr 23 (Sun) 12:00 PM
The Hill Academy (ON)
Ann Arbor, MI (University of Michigan)
Hill Academy defeats Culver at UM, don't have details and the game was not streamed which is too bad. I'll guess that Willem Firth must have had a good game here.
joewillie78

Post by joewillie78 »

10stone5 wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2023 4:57 pm
Culver L, 12-13
The Hill Academy (ON)
Hill Academy defeats Culver at UM, don't have details and the game was not streamed which is too bad. I'll guess that Willem Firth must have had a good game here.
I noticed his score now on Inside Lacrosse is now 91, which was the highest score of any player I checked except for 1 other player with a 91.

Gobigred
Joewillie78
faircornell

Post by faircornell »

joewillie78 wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2023 5:48 pm
Culver L, 12-13
The Hill Academy (ON)
I noticed his score now on Inside Lacrosse is now 91, which was the highest score of any player I checked except for 1 other player with a 91.

Gobigred
Joewillie78
13 - 12 Hill
faircornell

Post by faircornell »

This is one of those random pieces of analysis where I believe that my calculations are correct...

Both Cornell and Princeton have strong contenders for both Ivy POY and First Team All-Ivy goaltender. Some statistics going into next Saturday's game:

POY: CJ Kirst vs Coulter Mackesy:

Mackesy:

vs Ivy Goals: 24
vs Ivy Assists: 11
vs Ivy Points: 35

Kirst:

vs Ivy Goals: 27
vs Ivy Assists: 5
vs Ivy Points: 32

First Team Goalie: Chayse Ierlan vs Michael Gianforcaro

Gianforcaro:

vs Ivy saves: 76
vs Ivy Goals Allowed: 43
Save % vs Ivy: 64%

Ierlan:

vs Ivy saves: 65
vs Ivy Goals Allowed: 41
Save % vs Ivy: 61%

These numbers are vey close. I believe that the All-Ivy team is picked based on the regular season (I am happy to be corrected). This coming game will most likely tip the scales one way or another.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

faircornell wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2023 5:57 pm
Culver L, 12-13
The Hill Academy (ON)

Gobigred
Joewillie78
13 - 12 Hill
No details other than Hill Academy beat Culver in a come from behind win,

https://twitter.com/thehillacademy
another fan

Post by another fan »

Culver L, 12-13
The Hill Academy (ON)

Gobigred
Joewillie78
No doubt Firth is talented, but I don't think he is the second coming of Teat. He is extremely one-handed like many of the Canadians, and I think that could hold him back. Some are so good they can overcome playing with one hand, but it's always seemed like an additional obstacle to me.
joewillie78

Post by joewillie78 »

another fan wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2023 2:12 pm
Culver L, 12-13
The Hill Academy (ON)

Gobigred
Joewillie78
No doubt Firth is talented, but I don't think he is the second coming of Teat. He is extremely one-handed like many of the Canadians, and I think that could hold him back. Some are so good they can overcome playing with one hand, but it's always seemed like an additional obstacle to me.
I don't think any of us dedicated Cornell fans who watched the incredible JT51 for all those years EVER believed that Firth was the 2nd coming of JT.
It was FOY, I believe who came up with that crazy comparison.
That being said, Firth is obviously a great talent and we have had great success with all the Hill guys who come to Cornell.
Can't wait to watch him next year.

Also, noticed that Teat and Petterson are on the Canadian world team. It's always fun to watch Panell of USA and Teat from Canada face each other, hopefully in the finals.
Gobigred
Joewillie78
MoralTerpitude

Post by MoralTerpitude »

faircornell wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2023 11:59 pm This is one of those random pieces of analysis where I believe that my calculations are correct...

Both Cornell and Princeton have strong contenders for both Ivy POY and First Team All-Ivy goaltender. Some statistics going into next Saturday's game:

Mackesy:

Kirst:

Gianforcaro:

Ierlan:

These numbers are vey close. I believe that the All-Ivy team is picked based on the regular season (I am happy to be corrected). This coming game will most likely tip the scales one way or another.
Do they only take Ivy games into account, or the entire regular season? If the latter, I would think Kirst is the easy pick.
enterprise

Post by enterprise »

Only Ivy games.
faircornell

Post by faircornell »

MoralTerpitude wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2023 9:42 pm
faircornell wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2023 11:59 pm This is one of those random pieces of analysis where I believe that my calculations are correct...

Mackesy:

Kirst:

Gianforcaro:

Ierlan:

Do they only take Ivy games into account, or the entire regular season? If the latter, I would think Kirst is the easy pick.
As noted by Enterprise, they only look at Ivy games, and I'm pretty sure that it's a coaches' vote as opposed to the SID process that chooses Player of the Week. Mackesy has won more Player of the Weeks than Kirst. A few of these were "coin flips" where I thought that Kirst was a legitimate candidate. This history of the POW decisions leads me to believe that this Saturday's upcoming game will help to solidify the candidacy of one versus the other. My hope for Kirst is that the Coaches use more of an "eyeball" test than simply pure statistics, but I don't know.
nms

Post by nms »

faircornell wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2023 11:17 pm

Mackesy:

Kirst:

Gianforcaro:

Ierlan:

As noted by Enterprise, they only look at Ivy games, and I'm pretty sure that it's a coaches' vote as opposed to the SID process that chooses Player of the Week. Mackesy has won more Player of the Weeks than Kirst. A few of these were "coin flips" where I thought that Kirst was a legitimate candidate. This history of the POW decisions leads me to believe that this Saturday's upcoming game will help to solidify the candidacy of one versus the other. My hope for Kirst is that the Coaches use more of an "eyeball" test than simply pure statistics, but I don't know.
So, Adler's performance this weekend may help Kirst win?
Ezra White

Post by Ezra White »

nms wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 9:36 am

Mackesy:

Kirst:

Gianforcaro:

Ierlan:

Because lacrosse is a team game.
Chousnake

Post by Chousnake »

I'd trade a Cornell win this week over an individual award for Kirst over Mackesy. Cornell has had its share of individual awards over the past 40 years, including two Tewies, but the ultimate prize has escaped the Big Red despite multiple appearances on Memorial Day since 1977. I'm more concerned with team accomplishments at this point. I'd be happy if Mackesy scores 10 points and Kirst a couple of points in a Cornell win.
Lager

Post by Lager »

If the stats are close, which they will be, I do think the coaches will consider the "eyeball" factor. In which case, I think most if not all ivy coaches fear kirst more than Mackesy.
joewillie78

Post by joewillie78 »

nms wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 9:36 am

Mackesy:

Kirst:

Gianforcaro:

Ierlan:

No, Adlers performance, like in every game he plays, will help CORNELL win.

Every week, that dude takes away the opposing teams best option, yet he still reeks havoc all over the field and is scooping up groundballs like a human vacuum.

Who cares about Kirst vs. Mackesey? It's Cornell vs. Princeton that I care about.

BUT, the individual matchup of Adler vs. Mackesey is must see lacrosse.

Gobigred
Joewillie78
laxjuris

Post by laxjuris »

Several Cornell recruits mentioned in the game story from Lawrenville's convincing win over Salisbury: https://www.insidelacrosse.com/article/ ... eams/61282

Lawrenceville Goalie Timmy Piacentini, a junior, had a 70% save percentage in the game. With Matthew Tully due to arrive in Ithaca next year and Piacentini for the following fall, it appears our goaltending will remain in capable hands for the next several years.
joewillie78

Post by joewillie78 »

laxjuris wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 3:33 pm Several Cornell recruits mentioned in the game story from Lawrenville's convincing win over Salisbury: https://www.insidelacrosse.com/article/ ... eams/61282

Lawrenceville Goalie Timmy Piacentini, a junior, had a 70% save percentage in the game. With Matthew Tully due to arrive in Ithaca next year and Piacentini for the following fall, it appears our goaltending will remain in capable hands for the next several years.
Has Chayse used all his eligibility or will he be back next year?

Gobigred
Joewillie78
ICGrad

Post by ICGrad »

joewillie78 wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 1:14 pm Who cares about Kirst vs. Mackesey? It's Cornell vs. Princeton that I care about.
This is such a huge game.

Win and Cornell is a lock for the NCAA tournament, with an inside track on getting a seed and a home game.

Lose, and suddenly that first round ILT game becomes much more critical. Close out the season with two losses, and Cornell really puts their fate in the hands of the committee, and everyone knows that rarely end well for Cornell.

Here's hoping for another Yale/Penn level performance from the Big Red. Like Yale, Princeton has largely righted the ship after a tough early stretch. Should be a great game...
another fan

Post by another fan »

joewillie78 wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 3:43 pm
laxjuris wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 3:33 pm Several Cornell recruits mentioned in the game story from Lawrenville's convincing win over Salisbury: https://www.insidelacrosse.com/article/ ... eams/61282

Has Chayse used all his eligibility or will he be back next year?

Gobigred
Joewillie78
It's still hard to know eligibility, especially in this league. Of our front line players, I think Ierlan, Lombardi, and Adler are gone. I'm not 100% sure even on that, and have even less certainty beyond them.
joewillie78

Post by joewillie78 »

ICGrad wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 4:07 pm
joewillie78 wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 1:14 pm Who cares about Kirst vs. Mackesey? It's Cornell vs. Princeton that I care about.
This is such a huge game.

Win and Cornell is a lock for the NCAA tournament, with an inside track on getting a seed and a home game.

Lose, and suddenly that first round ILT game becomes much more critical. Close out the season with two losses, and Cornell really puts their fate in the hands of the committee, and everyone knows that rarely end well for Cornell.

Here's hoping for another Yale/Penn level performance from the Big Red. Like Yale, Princeton has largely righted the ship after a tough early stretch. Should be a great game...
These are always great games. The last great one I remember I believe may have been 2019.
Sowers for Princeton and Teat for Cornell put on a show all day, and I think Sowers went for like 7,1 and Teat like 5,3. Cornell won the game but it was incredible Lax back and forth all game.
Gobigred
Joewillie78

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”