ODAC 2023

D3 Mens Lacrosse
JustOneTime

Re: ODAC 2023

Post by JustOneTime »

The way I see it is Hampden Sydney has the best defense. They are very aggressive and fast. The Lynchburg D is good as well but not as fast. The W&L D is solid but prone to give up some runs to opponents. In the middle of the field Lynchburg has the best LSM, he is all over the field creating havoc. The best face off group is at W&L, they have two guys that are good. Lynchburg does have a solid face off guy but I don't feel he is as quick. Offensively I think W&L may have the slight edge as they can score in a few different ways due to a nice transition game. The Lynchburg and HSU goalies are both very good with a slight edge to HSU. Though I will say the senior W&L goalie is playing well and gets rid of it quick to lead fast breaks.
If Hampden Sydney can make it 50/50 at the dot then they are a tough out. W&L has shown they can come back in games this year so no lead is safe with them. Lynchburg has the best coaching and best home field advantage.
I think if Lynchburg beats HSU this Saturday then I feel they will win the ODAC tournament. It is real tough to win on their field especially in the tournament.
InsiderRoll

Post by InsiderRoll »

I think it’s a pretty close game between HSC and Lynchburg. Gut tells me Lynchburg, but we’ll see.

If it’s a 1-goal game or OT game I think it’s be hard to point to a favorite for the ODAC tournament as the top 3 teams would be separated by all OT-1 goal games with each other. It will make for a fun tournament.

If any one of them can get an “easier” semifinal then it’d be a major advantage.

Based on my understanding that may be wrong, HSC win or lose gets Lynchburg or W&L before the championship as their prize.
JustOneTime

Post by JustOneTime »

If HSU beats Lynchburg then they get home field throughout the tournament. I think that is a big deal this year. They would much rather play the semi-final game at home even though it will be against a tough opponent.
Dehuntshigwa’es

Post by Dehuntshigwa’es »

Have to go with Lynchburg over HSC. Other than an OT win against W&L they have lost to all top 20 teams by 5 to Denison 9 Cabrini 8 CNU. Also hurting on face offs against solid teams. Their fate will reside in the hands of Perry. Does he have any more eligibility left
JustOneTime

Post by JustOneTime »

I think HSU is trending upward. Perhaps the Lynchburg loss to Macon sparks them back to their early season form. If HSU does ok on the face offs then they can control the tempo. Lynchburg at home is very tough, their students are right on top of you and can heckle with the best. It should be a great game.
bmorelaxer

Post by bmorelaxer »

Dehuntshigwa’es wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 9:52 am Have to go with Lynchburg over HSC. Other than an OT win against W&L they have lost to all top 20 teams by 5 to Denison 9 Cabrini 8 CNU. Also hurting on face offs against solid teams. Their fate will reside in the hands of Perry. Does he have any more eligibility left
In two of those games, CNU and Denison, they were up a pair of goals at half but just couldn't play four full quarters. They were never going to win that Cabrini game with the 15 penalties they received. Perry is the best keeper in the ODAC and its not particularly close. Interested to see how HSC matches up with #1 Mitchell. Would have to think Nick Morgan draws that match up right? Lynchburg's young attack will be good in years to come, but are not going to dictate the outcome of this game.

Also- It's HSC, not HSU :lol:
Nothinbutthelax

Post by Nothinbutthelax »

Interesting year @ LYN. Started soph. Baez who got injured I think @ Tufts. Freshman Vandenburg has started since Mustang. He’s an inside finisher and makes it all Freshman attack. They are talented and a handful but Hastings and Schmidt do have the most TO’s which have exposed LYN’s soft spot, issues in transition D. Freshman SSDM’s #31,40 and Soph #21 coming through the box get lost and often O middies get caught..
When Dylan Wolfe went down they were fortunate to have #2
Grant Voight coming back after injury. He’s a fine player but he doesn’t have Wolfe’s ridiculously good lefty shot and lefty dodging ability.. He was off crutches Saturday so maybe we see him playing?
Time of possession for LYN is key. HSC defense:goal play is very impressive. LYN needs to stress and wear them down..

LYN Defense let down at RMC was concerning.. Dom Zingo got a concussion I heard and didn’t play Last Saturday but hopefully he’s back for HSC.. Hadley can get hot or cold. (Hot at home and cold away which bodes well for HSC game). HSC will pick on those young SSDMs. LYN gets beat too often and make bad slides. I’ll be looking to see if HSC can be patient and shoot well.. They are peeking at right time and come in with confidence.

Should be a great game. LYN by 3
camskidamski

Post by camskidamski »

Last season All ODAC by team (2022):

Lynchburg (11)
W&L (9)
Noke (8)
HSC (8)
RMC (5)
Bridgewater (5)
Shenandoah (2)
-------

2023 Predictions (all ?, no deep dive into positional need) :

Lynchburg (11)
W&L (8)
Noke (6)
HSC (10)
RMC (5)
Bridgewater (4)
Shenandoah (2)
VA Wes/Guilford (1 each?)
-------

~~Any specific players for each team or cases to be made for anyone? Great time of the year to reflect on these great teams and players...
InsiderRoll

Post by InsiderRoll »

He’s a quick shot:

OPOY: Mitchell (LYN)
DPOY: Morgan (HSC)
COY: Rostan (HSC)
ROY: Cohen (W&L)

1st Team:
Attack:
Porkorny (W&L)
Kammerman (RC)
O’Brien (HSC)

Midfield:
Mitchell (LYN)
Aust (LYN)
Thompson (HSC)

FO:
Kraus (LYN)

SSDM: Cohen (W&L)

LSM:
Lackey (W&L)

Defense:
Morgan (HSC)
Hubbard (W&L)
Zingo (LYN)

Goalie:
Hadley (LYN)

2nd Team
Attack:
Smith (RMC)
Burns (W&L)
Hastings (LYN)
Whitlow (RC)

Midfield:
Clingerman (SHEN)
Allen (W&L)
Saunders (HSC)

FO:
Alexander (BW)

Ssdm:
Weis (HSC)

Lsm:
Darminio (LYN)

Defense:
Fechter (HSC)
Marindin (LYN)
Heald (W&L)

Goalie:
Perry (HSC)
Last edited by InsiderRoll on Tue Apr 25, 2023 12:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.
JustOneTime

Post by JustOneTime »

Did you mean to have Perry from HSC as the First team goalie?
For Freshman of the Year I like Weston Hammond from Roanoke. He has been impressive all season.
InsiderRoll

Post by InsiderRoll »

JustOneTime wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 12:50 pm Did you mean to have Perry from HSC as the First team goalie?
For Freshman of the Year I like Weston Hammond from Roanoke. He has been impressive all season.
Actually I meant to have him second team.

Weston Hammond has been impactful for Roanoke, but their defense is atrocious.
HooDat

Post by HooDat »

Laxattackjack wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2023 9:04 am I think you can argue that every ODAC school is in the middle of nowhere.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
STILL somewhere back in the day....

...and waiting/hoping for a tinfoil hat emoji......
bmorelaxer

Post by bmorelaxer »

InsiderRoll wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 12:33 pm He’s a quick shot:

1st Team:
Attack:
Porkorny (W&L)
Kammerman (RC)
O’Brien (HSC)

Midfield:
Mitchell (LYN)
Aust (LYN)
Thompson (HSC)

FO:
Kraus (LYN)

LSM:
Lackey (W&L)

Defense:
Morgan (HSC)
Hubbard (W&L)
Zingo (LYN)

Goalie:
Hadley (LYN)

2nd Team
Attack:
Smith (RMC)
Burns (W&L)
Hastings (LYN)
Whitlow (RC)

Midfield:
Clingerman (SHEN)
Allen (W&L)
Saunders (HSC)

FO:
Alexander (BW)

Ssdm:
Weis (HSC)

Lsm:
Darminio (LYN)

Defense:
Fechter (HSC)
Marindin (LYN)
Heald (W&L)

Goalie:
Perry (HSC)
Just don't see how you can have Hadley over Perry. You can argue Hadley is the reason they lost to RMC
InsiderRoll

Post by InsiderRoll »

bmorelaxer wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 1:44 pm

1st Team:
Attack:
Porkorny (W&L)
Kammerman (RC)
O’Brien (HSC)

Midfield:
Mitchell (LYN)
Aust (LYN)
Thompson (HSC)

FO:
Kraus (LYN)

LSM:
Lackey (W&L)

Defense:
Morgan (HSC)
Hubbard (W&L)
Zingo (LYN)

Goalie:
Hadley (LYN)

2nd Team
Attack:
Smith (RMC)
Burns (W&L)
Hastings (LYN)
Whitlow (RC)

Midfield:
Clingerman (SHEN)
Allen (W&L)
Saunders (HSC)

FO:
Alexander (BW)

Ssdm:
Weis (HSC)

Lsm:
Darminio (LYN)

Defense:
Fechter (HSC)
Marindin (LYN)
Heald (W&L)

Goalie:
Perry (HSC)
Just don't see how you can have Hadley over Perry. You can argue Hadley is the reason they lost to RMC
It’s probably a toss up. Hadley does have a higher save percentage. I think the game between the two could be the deciding factor.
Dehuntshigwa’es

Post by Dehuntshigwa’es »

I’d take Beatty over Cohen in a big spot. First job is to defend, second gain possession. On that score I think Beatty is more solid defensively, doesn’t over commit going for the big check. Far more ground balls(14) than Cohen, and fewer shots. Cohen has taken shots in moments where possession is more important , Beatty I think is a better situational player and just as good offensively. In a big moment no matter the situation I think Beatty is the better decision maker and overall player. Together they are a great tandem. Albregts has played well also.
ShenandoahLaxDad

Post by ShenandoahLaxDad »

InsiderRoll wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 1:46 pm

1st Team:
Attack:
Porkorny (W&L)
Kammerman (RC)
O’Brien (HSC)

Midfield:
Mitchell (LYN)
Aust (LYN)
Thompson (HSC)

FO:
Kraus (LYN)

LSM:
Lackey (W&L)

Defense:
Morgan (HSC)
Hubbard (W&L)
Zingo (LYN)

Goalie:
Hadley (LYN)

2nd Team
Attack:
Smith (RMC)
Burns (W&L)
Hastings (LYN)
Whitlow (RC)

Midfield:
Clingerman (SHEN)
Allen (W&L)
Saunders (HSC)

FO:
Alexander (BW)

Ssdm:
Weis (HSC)

Lsm:
Darminio (LYN)

Defense:
Fechter (HSC)
Marindin (LYN)
Heald (W&L)

Goalie:
Perry (HSC)
It’s probably a toss up. Hadley does have a higher save percentage. I think the game between the two could be the deciding factor.
Saying Perry is the hands down best goalie is a pretty tough take. Hadley is 4x ODAC DPOW. Perry 1x ODAC DPOW.

Similar opponents

W&L
Hadley: 13 GA, 23 Saves
Perry: 10 GA, 15 Saves

Roanoke
Hadley: 11 GA, 13 Saves

CNU
Hadley: 14 GA, 9 Saves
Perry: 14 GA, 16 Saves

10+ save games this year
Hadley: 8
Perry: 6

20+ save games this year
Hadley: 3
Perry: 0

I totally agree that its a toss up; edge to Hadley currently based on resume. Also agree that whoever plays better this weekend & wins their team the game will probably get the first team nod. Goalie is a very tough call b/c there is only one spot and especially when you have two AA goalies in the same conference.
thescottharris

Post by thescottharris »

ShenandoahLaxDad wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 6:42 pm

1st Team:
Attack:
Porkorny (W&L)
Kammerman (RC)
O’Brien (HSC)

Midfield:
Mitchell (LYN)
Aust (LYN)
Thompson (HSC)

FO:
Kraus (LYN)

LSM:
Lackey (W&L)

Defense:
Morgan (HSC)
Hubbard (W&L)
Zingo (LYN)

Goalie:
Hadley (LYN)

2nd Team
Attack:
Smith (RMC)
Burns (W&L)
Hastings (LYN)
Whitlow (RC)

Midfield:
Clingerman (SHEN)
Allen (W&L)
Saunders (HSC)

FO:
Alexander (BW)

Ssdm:
Weis (HSC)

Lsm:
Darminio (LYN)

Defense:
Fechter (HSC)
Marindin (LYN)
Heald (W&L)

Goalie:
Perry (HSC)
Saying Perry is the hands down best goalie is a pretty tough take. Hadley is 4x ODAC DPOW. Perry 1x ODAC DPOW.

Similar opponents

W&L

Roanoke

CNU

10+ save games this year

20+ save games this year

I totally agree that its a toss up; edge to Hadley currently based on resume. Also agree that whoever plays better this weekend & wins their team the game will probably get the first team nod. Goalie is a very tough call b/c there is only one spot and especially when you have two AA goalies in the same conference.
Player of the Week can be a pretty meaningless award.

Sean Duffy was Player of the Year last year and only got that award one time, of course that was back when there was only one award and not an offensive and defensive POW awards. Having it split changes things of course.

And POW of the week awards are largely stat based awards, which aren't always a particularly good measure for defensive players. Goalies have a bi more stats to work with, but a superior defense in front of a goalie is generally going to lead to fewer save opportunities.
Last edited by thescottharris on Tue Apr 25, 2023 7:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bmorelaxer

Post by bmorelaxer »

1st Team:
Attack:
Porkorny (W&L)
Kammerman (RC)
O’Brien (HSC)

Midfield:
Mitchell (LYN)
Aust (LYN)
Thompson (HSC)

FO:
Kraus (LYN)

LSM:
Lackey (W&L)

Defense:
Morgan (HSC)
Hubbard (W&L)
Zingo (LYN)

Goalie:
Hadley (LYN)

2nd Team
Attack:
Smith (RMC)
Burns (W&L)
Hastings (LYN)
Whitlow (RC)

Midfield:
Clingerman (SHEN)
Allen (W&L)
Saunders (HSC)

FO:
Alexander (BW)

Ssdm:
Weis (HSC)

Lsm:
Darminio (LYN)

Defense:
Fechter (HSC)
Marindin (LYN)
Heald (W&L)

Goalie:
Perry (HSC)

Similar opponents

W&L

Roanoke

CNU

10+ save games this year

20+ save games this year

Funny to see you left out the RMC game... a mere 7 saves on 20 shots with 13 goals allowed.
thescottharris

Post by thescottharris »

bmorelaxer wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 7:23 pm

1st Team:
Attack:
Porkorny (W&L)
Kammerman (RC)
O’Brien (HSC)

Midfield:
Mitchell (LYN)
Aust (LYN)
Thompson (HSC)

FO:
Kraus (LYN)

LSM:
Lackey (W&L)

Defense:
Morgan (HSC)
Hubbard (W&L)
Zingo (LYN)

Goalie:
Hadley (LYN)

2nd Team
Attack:
Smith (RMC)
Burns (W&L)
Hastings (LYN)
Whitlow (RC)

Midfield:
Clingerman (SHEN)
Allen (W&L)
Saunders (HSC)

FO:
Alexander (BW)

Ssdm:
Weis (HSC)

Lsm:
Darminio (LYN)

Defense:
Fechter (HSC)
Marindin (LYN)
Heald (W&L)

Goalie:
Perry (HSC)

Similar opponents

W&L

Roanoke

CNU

10+ save games this year

20+ save games this year

Funny to see you left out the RMC game... a mere 7 saves on 20 shots with 13 goals allowed.
And Hadley got pulled from the St. Lawrence game due to ineffectiveness, something which has not happened with Perry this year.
camskidamski

Post by camskidamski »

Dehuntshigwa’es wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 4:01 pm I’d take Beatty over Cohen in a big spot. First job is to defend, second gain possession. On that score I think Beatty is more solid defensively, doesn’t over commit going for the big check. Far more ground balls(14) than Cohen, and fewer shots. Cohen has taken shots in moments where possession is more important , Beatty I think is a better situational player and just as good offensively. In a big moment no matter the situation I think Beatty is the better decision maker and overall player. Together they are a great tandem. Albregts has played well also.
WnL best DM tandem there? Beatty/Cohen/Albregts
Lynchburg's Nestor is very good too...
HSC has some good guys
Noke runs a lot but no one standing out

So tough to judge this position as you said Dehunt...do you give accolades to the best defenders, best gb grabbers, best ct causers, most points?? Ideal word says a little bit of all that. Wouldn't be surprised to see some of these guys sneak on as regular M if the coaches see how many good ones there are.

Return to “D3 MENS LACROSSE”