Brown 2023

D1 Mens Lacrosse
Brownlax

Re: Brown 2023

Post by Brownlax »

When Daly first got to Brown he was supposed to bring the Tufts high powered run and gun offense with him. With the fast paced “fastest game on two feet” style you were going to have more turnovers which is to be expected. However, I don’t see Brown playing that fast offensive style. We are getting outshot on the year and we are turning the ball over 18 times a game. What’s the deal?
bearlaxfan

Post by bearlaxfan »

'17, '18 went that way IIRC, '17 was ok with the remnants of the last of the '16 FF guys on the squad, '18 not so much.
Also some NESCAC parents I've met (Tufts and otherwise) have said the Jumbos get top D3 lacrosse athletes. Tufts, Salisbury, RIT, are currently theMaryland, UVa, Duke of D3 lacrosse. Credit to Daly & the Tufts admin for forging that, but it hasn't happened at Brown.
AND... the shot clock. The run&gun isn't a novelty outlier any more where teams dedicated to it have a shock-advantage against teams that don't see it often (or ever). Even Lars has slowed things down at Virginia; as good as the talent is that he gets, against ACC athletes there wasn't as much advantage always playing on the edge.

Makes you realize how good that '16 team was. Why he kept Molloy in up 10 against Hopkins...🤯
The Orfling

Post by The Orfling »

bearlaxfan wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2023 1:56 pm '17, '18 went that way IIRC, '17 was ok with the remnants of the last of the '16 FF guys on the squad, '18 not so much.
Also some NESCAC parents I've met (Tufts and otherwise) have said the Jumbos get top D3 lacrosse athletes. Tufts, Salisbury, RIT, are currently theMaryland, UVa, Duke of D3 lacrosse. Credit to Daly & the Tufts admin for forging that, but it hasn't happened at Brown.
AND... the shot clock. The run&gun isn't a novelty outlier any more where teams dedicated to it have a shock-advantage against teams that don't see it often (or ever). Even Lars has slowed things down at Virginia; as good as the talent is that he gets, against ACC athletes there wasn't as much advantage always playing on the edge.

Makes you realize how good that '16 team was. Why he kept Molloy in up 10 against Hopkins...🤯
Really good analysis, bearlaxfan. And you are right, that 2016 team was special. All-world goaltending from Kelly; Tulett and Kemp creating offensive and defensive havoc; Gural who was ripping out teams' hearts with FOGO juice goals before LaSalla came on the scene; and a consensus Tewey winner in Molloy who always came up big.
bearlaxfan

Post by bearlaxfan »

In Coaching Carousel thread one (1) guy mentions Daly as a potential hot seat, which I think is ridiculous, but what about reversing it: is the Brown Admin on the hot seat with Daly after this year's suspensions? If he feels his players were betrayed, what incentive (besides $$$, which Brown is notoriously stingy with anyway) does he have to stick around?
I'm not saying his results so far have suitors banging on his door, and I'm not judging the 'crime' or the punishment (not enough info). Just wonder what, if any, damage has been done in the relationship between coach(es) and admin.
To reiterate, I have NO inside info, but just looking at this year's events, any reasonable person could see these issues might exist.
The Orfling

Post by The Orfling »

bearlaxfan wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2023 6:32 am In Coaching Carousel thread one (1) guy mentions Daly as a potential hot seat, which I think is ridiculous, but what about reversing it: is the Brown Admin on the hot seat with Daly after this year's suspensions? If he feels his players were betrayed, what incentive (besides $$$, which Brown is notoriously stingy with anyway) does he have to stick around?
I'm not saying his results so far have suitors banging on his door, and I'm not judging the 'crime' or the punishment (not enough info). Just wonder what, if any, damage has been done in the relationship between coach(es) and admin.
To reiterate, I have NO inside info, but just looking at this year's events, any reasonable person could see these issues might exist.
If this were a "Shay getting queries from Virginia in 2016" scenario, I wouldn't be surprised if "NoiseGate" were the type of thing to get somebody listening closely to inquiries. I just don't know if Daly at this stage is getting feelers from other schools? He's had good success with the hands he's been dealt but Brown hasn't made a splash in the NCAAs yet during his tenure. I would think the current outside-the-league interest might be more focused on Buczek? Young coach, team made it to Memorial Day in his first full season as HC etc.
Brownlax

Post by Brownlax »

bearlaxfan wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2023 6:32 am In Coaching Carousel thread one (1) guy mentions Daly as a potential hot seat, which I think is ridiculous, but what about reversing it: is the Brown Admin on the hot seat with Daly after this year's suspensions? If he feels his players were betrayed, what incentive (besides $$$, which Brown is notoriously stingy with anyway) does he have to stick around?
Daly is probably very upset with the administration and how they handled "noise gate." However, I don't think he is going anywhere.
CU77

Post by CU77 »

If Daly complains too loudly he might end up like DeLuca.
NNELax

Post by NNELax »

CU77 wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2023 3:15 pm If Daly complains too loudly he might end up like DeLuca.
+1
FannOLax

Post by FannOLax »

bearlaxfan wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2023 1:56 pm '... some NESCAC parents I've met (Tufts and otherwise) have said the Jumbos get top D3 lacrosse athletes. Tufts, Salisbury, RIT, are currently theMaryland, UVa, Duke of D3 lacrosse. Credit to Daly & the Tufts admin for forging that, but it hasn't happened at Brown.
Yes, Daly built Tufts from a nothing lax program into a powerhouse that won multiple national championships under him; Tufts has been good after he left, but hasn't won the natty without him. I follow D3 and would note that Wesleyan and Cabrini have won natties since Daly moved to Brown, while Christopher Newport U and York also have been strong enough to suggest that Tufts, Salisbury and RIT are not way above the rest of D3 talent-wise. Of course, that's D3, and after Mike Pressler's move from D3 OWU to Duke, there really haven't been many cases of successful moves from D3 coaching to D1... or many such moves at all, successful or otherwise. I thought last year might have been a breakthrough for Daly at Brown, making the NCAAs, but this year has been two steps back. If there was any D3 coach who looked worthy of the Brown job, it was Daly... but his record at Brown won't be tempting many D1 schools to hire D3 coaches.
bearlaxfan

Post by bearlaxfan »

FannOLax wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2023 4:36 pm
bearlaxfan wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2023 1:56 pm '... some NESCAC parents I've met (Tufts and otherwise) have said the Jumbos get top D3 lacrosse athletes. Tufts, Salisbury, RIT, are currently theMaryland, UVa, Duke of D3 lacrosse. Credit to Daly & the Tufts admin for forging that, but it hasn't happened at Brown.
Yes, Daly built Tufts from a nothing lax program into a powerhouse that won multiple national championships under him; Tufts has been good after he left, but hasn't won the natty without him. I follow D3 and would note that Wesleyan and Cabrini have won natties since Daly moved to Brown, while Christopher Newport U and York also have been strong enough to suggest that Tufts, Salisbury and RIT are not way above the rest of D3 talent-wise. Of course, that's D3, and after Mike Pressler's move from D3 OWU to Duke, there really haven't been many cases of successful moves from D3 coaching to D1... or many such moves at all, successful or otherwise. I thought last year might have been a breakthrough for Daly at Brown, making the NCAAs, but this year has been two steps back. If there was any D3 coach who looked worthy of the Brown job, it was Daly... but his record at Brown won't be tempting many D1 schools to hire D3 coaches.
Brown's already been down this route with Scott Nelson from 2001 through 2006. He won 3 natties at D3 Nazareth and didn't last long on the East Side. Don't know how much experience he may have had as an assistant in D1. He's bounced around since then. Lars' first Brown ncaa team (2009) was, to be fair, many Nelson guys.
Brownlax

Post by Brownlax »

bearlaxfan wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2023 5:50 pm
Brown's already been down this route with Scott Nelson from 2001 through 2006. He won 3 natties at D3 Nazareth and didn't last long on the East Side. Don't know how much experience he may have had as an assistant in D1. He's bounced around since then. Lars' first Brown ncaa team (2009) was, to be fair, many Nelson guys.
Nelson was the first ever Brown coach to go 0-6 in the Ivy League. His players revolted on him. Terrible hire for Brown.
Unknown Participant

Post by Unknown Participant »

True, but why is it only in DIII (and Tufts in particular) that success is measured by championships. On the D1 boards, it's all about final fours/Mem Day weekend or even making the tourney. Tufts went to the last two final fours, Covid year before that and three semi-/quarter- final games after Daly left.
bearlaxfan

Post by bearlaxfan »

Just noting the similarities: both were D3 coaches with 3 championships each during their tenures.
Charlie Don't Surf

Post by Charlie Don't Surf »

Interesting thoughts about Daly at Brown. 2023 will be the first year ever at Brown that his team did not make the ILT. This, on the heels of winning the 2022 regular season IL title, hosting the ILT, making the NCAA tourney, and hosting a first round game. And, two incoming classes that should be strong, plus Daly's adept activity in the portal, where all three portal recruits were starters and/or strong contributors -- 2 are among the team's top 3 scorers and the other is top 3 in groundballs (excluding FOGOs and Goalie). Brown's women's coach has never taken a team to the ILT or the NCAA tournament, and she is going into her 20th season, so it would be difficult to see Daly being asked to leave. Hope the team rebounds for Bryant and Dartmouth and gets to .500. Let's go Bruno!
Brownlax

Post by Brownlax »

Charlie Don't Surf wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 1:05 pm Interesting thoughts about Daly at Brown. 2023 will be the first year ever at Brown that his team did not make the ILT. This, on the heels of winning the 2022 regular season IL title, hosting the ILT, making the NCAA tourney, and hosting a first round game. And, two incoming classes that should be strong, plus Daly's adept activity in the portal, where all three portal recruits were starters and/or strong contributors -- 2 are among the team's top 3 scorers and the other is top 3 in groundballs (excluding FOGOs and Goalie). Brown's women's coach has never taken a team to the ILT or the NCAA tournament, and she is going into her 20th season, so it would be difficult to see Daly being asked to leave. Hope the team rebounds for Bryant and Dartmouth and gets to .500. Let's go Bruno!
Daly is not going anywhere. As to the women's team - not ever making the ILT or the NCAA in 20 years is very concerning.
bearlaxfan

Post by bearlaxfan »

Brownlax wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 2:28 pm
Daly is not going anywhere. As to the women's team - not ever making the ILT or the NCAA in 20 years is very concerning.

Not concerning to the admin, apparently!🤔
bearlaxfan

Post by bearlaxfan »

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
bearlaxfan

Post by bearlaxfan »

Not great goaltending on either side last night (Bruno 44%, not counting Bryant scores when the Bear's went goalie-press at the end), Bryant 42%), Bulldogs putting 69% of shots on net vs Brown's 57% made the diff, when most other stats ~equal. Eyeball test Bryant looked more fluid & confident on offense. "Bear 4th quarter run not enough"- Captain Obvious
The Orfling

Post by The Orfling »

bearlaxfan wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 8:38 am Not great goaltending on either side last night (Bruno 44%, not counting Bryant scores when the Bear's went goalie-press at the end), Bryant 42%), Bulldogs putting 69% of shots on net vs Brown's 57% made the diff, when most other stats ~equal. Eyeball test Bryant looked more fluid & confident on offense. "Bear 4th quarter run not enough"- Captain Obvious
I was impressed with Bryant. Seemed like first half turnovers (a theme I know) dug a hole for Brown and they didn't have a 60-65% day in goal to keep the score closer for their second wind on offense. Was exciting to see Brown close the gap though -- they never quit.
NNELax

Post by NNELax »

Game of runs...Brown run at the end had the Bulldogs sweating...Kelly scoring being triple teamed (gotta knock him down lol) got Ross heated at his D! Hats off to two teams that should have great battles moving forward.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”