D1 Mens Lacrosse
AreaLax

Re: Maryland 2023

Post by AreaLax »

Saturday schedule set
Noon Spring Football
4:30 Women Lax vs OSU
8 Men’s vs Rutgers

Busy day at Byrd. My understanding is the women game takes about 2:30 to play. Wonder if they will sell one ticket that cover both lacrosse games
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

jrn19 wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2023 1:17 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2023 1:14 pm
jrn19 wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2023 1:10 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2023 1:01 pm
keno in reno wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2023 12:56 pm
masondixonlax wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2023 12:06 pm Makes ya wonder if 2nd line will become 1rst with increasing body of evidence
I would expect every offensive position except Erksa's to be in play for upgrade next year, either by portal, current roster development or incoming freshmen. Never doubt Tillman in any tournament matchup, especially with Wierman and the defense, but the offense isn't close to the level of the elite teams (even the non-elites like Michigan).
When Maryland was preseason #1, I wondered why? The reason was “they won last year”….by that logic, UCONN basketball is preseason number 1 next year despite all the losses. Maryland lost a lot of offensive experience and then had injuries. They will be back.
The defense still looked like the best projected unit in the country. And it's been in the Top 5. They've had some games where they were worse than expected but still been elite.

No one could have predicted McNaney blowing out his knee, if not for that they probably win at least 1 more game. Murphy has missed significant time, which when coupled with the Malever injury took them from losing their Top 4 scorers from last years team to 6 of the Top 7 for long stretches. Wierman has also been banged up all year, not saying that's cost them a game but played a part.

The offense has been way worse than expected. But also if anyone thought Maryland would have an offense on the level of like Marquette, then fair enough, amazing prediction, but I don't think anyone predicted that. Some people had Virginia #1 instead, and that was fine. But how low were they supposed to be ranked? They're still a Top 5-7 team in the country and two of the Top 7 teams were not even ranked in the preseason.

If "Maryland shouldn't have been preseason #1" but then you had them like #3, to me that seems like you're saying you also expected them to be better you just had them 1 or 2 spots lower. The difference between #1 and #3 is miniscule in any year that doesn't have a team like Maryland was last year or maybe a 2019 Penn State type team
You can’t just win a championship with defense. My only point was Maryland lost a lot of offensive production that never seems to matter in lacrosse but does in every other sport.
Of course you can't. But no one expected their offense to be the 30th best offense in the country. I assume even with the losses in production even you didn't expect this steep of a dropoff? They expected it go from being #1 to being #10 or so. Or maybe 15thish. And if their offense is between 10 and 20 in the country and not middle of the pack in the country, they very well might be the #1 team.
I thought there would be a drop off…..anywhere from 5-10…. this isn’t surprising to me. Maryland will be fine.
“I wish you would!”
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2023 2:21 pm
masondixonlax wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2023 12:06 pm Makes ya wonder if 2nd line will become 1rst with increasing body of evidence
I would expect every offensive position except Erksa's to be in play for upgrade next year, either by portal, current roster development or incoming freshmen. Never doubt Tillman in any tournament matchup, especially with Wierman and the defense, but the offense isn't close to the level of the elite teams (even the non-elites like Michigan).
When Maryland was preseason #1, I wondered why? The reason was “they won last year”….by that logic, UCONN basketball is preseason number 1 next year despite all the losses. Maryland lost a lot of offensive experience and then had injuries. They will be back.
The defense still looked like the best projected unit in the country. And it's been in the Top 5. They've had some games where they were worse than expected but still been elite.

No one could have predicted McNaney blowing out his knee, if not for that they probably win at least 1 more game. Murphy has missed significant time, which when coupled with the Malever injury took them from losing their Top 4 scorers from last years team to 6 of the Top 7 for long stretches. Wierman has also been banged up all year, not saying that's cost them a game but played a part.

The offense has been way worse than expected. But also if anyone thought Maryland would have an offense on the level of like Marquette, then fair enough, amazing prediction, but I don't think anyone predicted that. Some people had Virginia #1 instead, and that was fine. But how low were they supposed to be ranked? They're still a Top 5-7 team in the country and two of the Top 7 teams were not even ranked in the preseason.

If "Maryland shouldn't have been preseason #1" but then you had them like #3, to me that seems like you're saying you also expected them to be better you just had them 1 or 2 spots lower. The difference between #1 and #3 is miniscule in any year that doesn't have a team like Maryland was last year or maybe a 2019 Penn State type team
You can’t just win a championship with defense. My only point was Maryland lost a lot of offensive production that never seems to matter in lacrosse but does in every other sport.
Of course you can't. But no one expected their offense to be the 30th best offense in the country. I assume even with the losses in production even you didn't expect this steep of a dropoff? They expected it go from being #1 to being #10 or so. Or maybe 15thish. And if their offense is between 10 and 20 in the country and not middle of the pack in the country, they very well might be the #1 team.
I thought there would be a drop off…..anywhere from 5-10…. this isn’t surprising to me. Maryland will be fine.
Maryland dropping off this much on offense isn't surprising to you? "There will be a drop off" and the drop off that occurred are two different things. Of course there would be a drop off. They had the best offense since the 1990 Syracuse team. Everybody knew there would be a drop off. The offense this year is the worst offense Maryland has had since Cottle was the coach. If you thought that before the season, I would like the lottery numbers for this week.
Typical Lax Dad

jrn19 wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2023 2:49 pm

Maryland dropping off this much on offense isn't surprising to you? "There will be a drop off" and the drop off that occurred are two different things. Of course there would be a drop off. They had the best offense since the 1990 Syracuse team. Everybody knew there would be a drop off. The offense this year is the worst offense Maryland has had since Cottle was the coach. If you thought that before the season, I would like the lottery numbers for this week.
No. They lost a lot. Can you let me know if Duke, UVA and ND have a lot of returning offensive starters or not? I haven’t checked.
“I wish you would!”
masondixonlax

Post by masondixonlax »

They lost nearly their entire starting offense and relying on freshman for a lot of their offensive output. Not sure what you expected. And it’s not like they are playing bad teams… would keep the expectations a little more realistic or you may fit in well on the hop forum otherwise
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

masondixonlax wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2023 2:57 pm

They lost nearly their entire starting offense and relying on freshman for a lot of their offensive output. Not sure what you expected. And it’s not like they are playing bad teams… would keep the expectations a little more realistic or you may fit in well on the hop forum otherwise
I expected them to go from the #1 offense to about the...15th offense. Basically where Hopkins is right now. They went from the #1 offense to the 30th best offense in the country. Where Binghamton is. Here are their ranks in Adjusted Offensive Efficiency by season going back to 2015

2022: 1st
2021: 2nd
2020: 9th
2019: 8th
2018: 5th
2017: 2nd
2016: 11th
2015: 18th

so essentially I figured they'd have their worst offense since 2015. Since you want to play snide and caustic, I don't know if you realized it, but Maryland's floor as an offense the last 7 or 8 years is crazy, crazy high. I figured they'd be a bit below that, but still pretty solid. if their offense was around where the 2015 offense was, they win the Notre Dame game, they win the Hopkins game last night, and they're 10-2 and...they're maybe ranked #1 right now? Instead, it got a lot worse. I also didn't predict that Owen Murphy would miss most-to-all of Big Ten play with an ankle injury, Wierman would have an injury throughout the year hampering him and they couldn't rely on his possessions, etc. Congratulations on predicting all of that? I guess I'll make my way over to the Hopkins board now and let you run the board now.
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2023 2:52 pm

No. They lost a lot. Can you let me know if Duke, UVA and ND have a lot of returning offensive starters or not? I haven’t checked.
So I'm guessing you ranked them 4th preseason then? I'm sorry, I just don't think going "I was shocked they were ranked #1 preseason" and then having them ranked 3rd or 4th instead is some great prediction. The difference between those two teams is pretty miniscule, as we've seen based on the fact that ND beat Duke who beat UVA who beat ND who "beat" MD who beat UVA who beat Duke who lost to ND.
Typical Lax Dad

jrn19 wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2023 3:41 pm

So I'm guessing you ranked them 4th preseason then? I'm sorry, I just don't think going "I was shocked they were ranked #1 preseason" and then having them ranked 3rd or 4th instead is some great prediction. The difference between those two teams is pretty miniscule, as we've seen based on the fact that ND beat Duke who beat UVA who beat ND who "beat" MD who beat UVA who beat Duke who lost to ND.
I had them 8 in my first poll submission.
“I wish you would!”
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2023 3:57 pm
jrn19 wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2023 3:41 pm

I had them 8 in my first poll submission.
Fair enough. Hat tip to you. I do think there's a big gap between 1-7 (3 ACC/3 B1G/Cornell) and the rest of the country, aside from maybe Army, but I'd rank Maryland #7 right now so you were on the money.
Last edited by jrn19 on Sun Apr 23, 2023 4:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
masondixonlax

Post by masondixonlax »

jrn19 wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2023 3:39 pm
masondixonlax wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2023 2:57 pm

I expected them to go from the #1 offense to about the...15th offense. Basically where Hopkins is right now. They went from the #1 offense to the 30th best offense in the country. Where Binghamton is. Here are their ranks in Adjusted Offensive Efficiency by season going back to 2015

2022: 1st
2021: 2nd
2020: 9th
2019: 8th
2018: 5th
2017: 2nd
2016: 11th
2015: 18th

so essentially I figured they'd have their worst offense since 2015. Since you want to play snide and caustic, I don't know if you realized it, but Maryland's floor as an offense the last 7 or 8 years is crazy, crazy high. I figured they'd be a bit below that, but still pretty solid. if their offense was around where the 2015 offense was, they win the Notre Dame game, they win the Hopkins game last night, and they're 10-2 and...they're maybe ranked #1 right now? Instead, it got a lot worse. I also didn't predict that Owen Murphy would miss most-to-all of Big Ten play with an ankle injury, Wierman would have an injury throughout the year hampering him and they couldn't rely on his possessions, etc. Congratulations on predicting all of that? I guess I'll make my way over to the Hopkins board now and let you run the board now.
Sweet, thanks 😉
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

jrn19 wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2023 2:49 pm Maryland dropping off this much on offense isn't surprising to you? "There will be a drop off" and the drop off that occurred are two different things. Of course there would be a drop off. They had the best offense since the 1990 Syracuse team. Everybody knew there would be a drop off. The offense this year is the worst offense Maryland has had since Cottle was the coach. If you thought that before the season, I would like the lottery numbers for this week.
This is exactly right to me. Literally everybody knew there'd be a drop-off. The extent of the drop-off has been surprising. Not because they've had to rely on some freshmen and other relatively inexperienced players — we knew that'd be the case — but because they've gotten much less out of the returning contributors than anticipated. Long has not had a very good year. Murphy has been banged up. Those two were supposed to be All-Americans. And then Brennan has largely been a nonentity. The one bright spot has been Maltz, IMO, who was basically a 6v6 benchwarmer last year but has developed his game and is now probably your best goal scorer.

The incoming class doesn't look spectacular on paper, so I expect Tillman to hit the portal hard. Hence the Handley comment earlier. Would not be surprised to see him land in College Park, though Corrigan and Warne might have something to say about that.
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

If there’s an elite player like Handley available, obviously I would take that. Otherwise while I do think they need another midfielder, ideally a shooter, they really just do not have any shooting from the midfield at all this year, I don’t think they need to do a lot in the portal. 1 solid addition is what I’d look for more than a lot of moves. The pieces are there for the offense to get back to an elite level IMO.

Erksa is a future 1st Team AA IMO. Him and Malever on AA will cause a lot of problems. Maltz/Kelly as the other option on attack makes for a strong unit. Spanos with another year at the midfield will be primed for a strong year there. Whittier putting up nearly 2 PPG in 2nd MF shifts in B1G games showed me he’s ready to take the step to 1st MF next year. But I do think you need a shooter in that spot, your Joe LoCascio in 15, Kelly in 16 before he became a Tewaaraton guy, DeMaio etc. that’s where I could see a portal addition coming in handy.

Then you have the guys this year that were asked to step into starter level roles in cushier minutes. It’s not the 2021-22 offenses but I think it’s got Top 5-10 offense in the country potential for sure.
Seahawk

Post by Seahawk »

Tillman is redshirting Aidan Aitken this year and Caden Onagi is new to the system as a JUCO transfer. I think both will be in the mix next year for some role on offense. But the Terps need to gut their way thru the BIG tournament and get a good seed and then just go for it. Lots to wring hands over and what ifs not relevant now. It's still in front of them.
Typical Lax Dad

jrn19 wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2023 5:22 pm If there’s an elite player like Handley available, obviously I would take that. Otherwise while I do think they need another midfielder, ideally a shooter, they really just do not have any shooting from the midfield at all this year, I don’t think they need to do a lot in the portal. 1 solid addition is what I’d look for more than a lot of moves. The pieces are there for the offense to get back to an elite level IMO.

Erksa is a future 1st Team AA IMO. Him and Malever on AA will cause a lot of problems. Maltz/Kelly as the other option on attack makes for a strong unit. Spanos with another year at the midfield will be primed for a strong year there. Whittier putting up nearly 2 PPG in 2nd MF shifts in B1G games showed me he’s ready to take the step to 1st MF next year. But I do think you need a shooter in that spot, your Joe LoCascio in 15, Kelly in 16 before he became a Tewaaraton guy, DeMaio etc. that’s where I could see a portal addition coming in handy.

Then you have the guys this year that were asked to step into starter level roles in cushier minutes. It’s not the 2021-22 offenses but I think it’s got Top 5-10 offense in the country potential for sure.
Hasn’t Maryland been pretty much a top 8 team all season? Usually top 4?
“I wish you would!”
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2023 6:40 pm
jrn19 wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2023 5:22 pm If there’s an elite player like Handley available, obviously I would take that. Otherwise while I do think they need another midfielder, ideally a shooter, they really just do not have any shooting from the midfield at all this year, I don’t think they need to do a lot in the portal. 1 solid addition is what I’d look for more than a lot of moves. The pieces are there for the offense to get back to an elite level IMO.

Hah !

Yeah, well, comparatively speaking measured against last season …
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2023 6:40 pm

Team has been Top 8 team all season and has been in the Top 5 or so at different points, yes. In my post I was referring specifically to the offense which has been around 30th or so for basically all season. They've remained in the Top 4-8 because of Top 5 defense and Top 5 FO play from Wierman.
Wheels

Post by Wheels »

As JRN has talked about a lot on this thread, the reason Maryland's offense is mediocre is they're a bad shooting team. They don't take bad shots. They just lack accuracy. Brennan is stuck between his own ears and has completely abandoned shooting beyond 5 yards out. Long has never been a shooter, but 17% is a number you don't see very often from a multiyear honorable mention All-American. His turnovers have been an issue. Alternating between forcing passes and the people he's playing with not being able to get to spots/finish passes Long sends them. That's where the inexperience in the offense shows the most.

Spanos can shoot, but he's aiming his shots when he's outside. He's going to get through that, and I bet you'll see him next year be even more difficult to cover because he'll start nailing shots from 10-12 yards. Right now, he'll actually pass on those shots. He won't next year.

Murphy finally started playing within the system, and they could use his shooting. My guess he'll get more run in the tournament, maybe even on that first line if he can show he's making good decisions.

Then you have Malever. The whole offense probably looks different if Malever is back there. From what I've seen of his rehabilitation, he's not just ahead of schedule but has remade his body. TBH, I've never really known which is his strong hand (I think left?), but I saw him pinging corners on the run with his right hand.

Last night, the entire game changed when Hop sent two poles to the midfield. When Kelly couldn't beat the shorty and Hop could quickly slide to any midfield threat (which they did quite effectively), that's when the Terps could no longer shoot with the volume they need to overcome their inaccuracy.

Tills will also do whatever he can to make the team the best it can be. I'd be really surprised if he goes hard in the portal on the offensive end, but you never know. On the defensive end, maybe he looks to add some depth at the poles, but they like Shaller and Larkin. My guess is they'll need 2 shorties.
Essexfenwick

Post by Essexfenwick »

^^ agree. They get pretty much everybody back plus Malever. Guaranteed improved.
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

Long's struggles in hindsight I think were more foreseeable. As Wheels said, 17% is a really, really low shooting percentage for any player of that quality, but shooting has never been his game. When you have a player like that who isn't an outside shooter and relies so heavily on his passing and you have a team that is going to struggle to dodge more and thus ball movement will be muted...you mute his strength. He seemed to have a stretch there after the Notre Dame game where he played more within the offense and him and Koras found a nice rhythm...but then the turnovers are back the last few weeks. This is just not the kind of offense for a guy like him to really thrive in.

Brennan...yeah unfortunately it's just been a total regression. Tough to see. The turnover he had and then the camera catching Tills reaction was unfortunate. But at this stage you just can't run him out there if Murphy is available to go.

I think they need a shooter from the portal. Even with what you bring back and the improvements from the young guys...if this roster lacks shooting now it's going to lack shooting next year. It'll shoot better with creating better looks and guys improvements but we don't have that guy from the outside. Maltz is a great scorer, but not a shooter. Spanos' shooting improvement to me will more just help to make him even more threatening everywhere else. What Griffin Brown brought coming in from Colgate in 2021 would be perfect for this team next year. A speed dodger from the midfield would help as well. 2 midfielders basically is what I'd look for. Obviously if a superstar enters and you want to get into that mix, sure. But not needed. I think Erksa and Malever at attack has incredible potential
sportsfan

Post by sportsfan »

Maybe Maryland needs to look at what their system is. The top teams all have dynamic offenses and Maryland is flat. The shooting has been bad all year and the offense doesn't play loose with any creativity. Probably too late for this year.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”