Does Gary Gait Turn Syracuse Around & Make Them A Regular Power?

D1 Mens Lacrosse

Does Gary Gait Turn Syracuse Around & Make Them A Regular Power?

Yes
44%
No
56%

Total votes: 85

Farfromgeneva

Re: Does Gary Gait Turn Syracuse Around & Make Them A Regular Power?

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Worthless.
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

LarryGamLax wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 4:53 pm I hope that no one in their right Lacrosse mind thought this was going to be a one year operation. It doesn't work like that, and most of you know that.
Gary and Petro have a lot to clean up there. There were LOTS of things going on prior to Gary's hiring. He is also going to have a build a whole new team culture and that does not happen instantly.

Gary and Petro are LEGENDS OF THE SPORT. Give them a couple of years and recruiting classes.
Yeah but you’re talking to a crowd that loves to participate in the annual “who should get fired and replaced crowd” for a non revenue sport.
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah

Post by 1766 »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:16 pm Could wear a flat brimmed cap and get some flow like Chillaxin w Carc…
Anything but a 1998 Canadian hockey power suit. He should take a page out of his former college coach's book and go with the disinterested artist look.
Finster

Post by Finster »

LarryGamLax wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 4:53 pm I hope that no one in their right Lacrosse mind thought this was going to be a one year operation. It doesn't work like that, and most of you know that.
Gary and Petro have a lot to clean up there. There were LOTS of things going on prior to Gary's hiring. He is also going to have a build a whole new team culture and that does not happen instantly.

Gary and Petro are LEGENDS OF THE SPORT. Give them a couple of years and recruiting classes.

Revisiting this thread after seeing the team yesterday. I agree with you. The team yesterday seemed like they were enjoying themselves, while also trying their best to win. It was refreshing.

One thing I’m thinking about though: I’ll be shocked if Petro isn’t given another offer he simply can’t refuse. I don’t know which high level squad will be looking, and I have zero doubt he enjoys working alongside Gary, but let’s be real: Petro is at the top of any AD’s list.

Ok. That being said, Syracuse looks to be set for the next three years. The offense will be very tough to defend, and many competitors lose senior defense after this season. Among Spallina, Hiltz, Thomson, and Leo, Gary has a legit Memorial Day squad for three years.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Finster wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2023 9:44 am One thing I’m thinking about though: I’ll be shocked if Petro isn’t given another offer he simply can’t refuse. I don’t know which high level squad will be looking, and I have zero doubt he enjoys working alongside Gary, but let’s be real: Petro is at the top of any AD’s list.
Petro is on record saying if he head coaches again he wants it to be a Power 5 program. Unless he's changed his mind, that would limit his options considerably. Short of Florida State or USC shocking the world and announcing a men's lax program, there really isn't much out there that fits his criteria. He would need Carolina or Ohio State to make changes. He'd likely be in the mix for both but it remains to be seen if either school will pull the trigger. I'd be surprised if he's the head coach of another team next year but I guess we'll see.
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

Save for recent events i would add Mich. i don’t know what the status is on Dano at Duke, his son and his retirement.
Finster

Post by Finster »

HopFan16 wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2023 10:20 am
Finster wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2023 9:44 am One thing I’m thinking about though: I’ll be shocked if Petro isn’t given another offer he simply can’t refuse. I don’t know which high level squad will be looking, and I have zero doubt he enjoys working alongside Gary, but let’s be real: Petro is at the top of any AD’s list.
Petro is on record saying if he head coaches again he wants it to be a Power 5 program. Unless he's changed his mind, that would limit his options considerably. Short of Florida State or USC shocking the world and announcing a men's lax program, there really isn't much out there that fits his criteria. He would need Carolina or Ohio State to make changes. He'd likely be in the mix for both but it remains to be seen if either school will pull the trigger. I'd be surprised if he's the head coach of another team next year but I guess we'll see.

Ok. Fair.

Yet something tells me that Pressler’s excellent experience at Bryant has caused coaches to revisit their previous thoughts on ‘Power 5 or bust’.
runrussellrun

Post by runrussellrun »

Finster wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2023 9:44 am

Revisiting this thread after seeing the team yesterday. I agree with you. The team yesterday seemed like they were enjoying themselves, while also trying their best to win. It was refreshing.

One thing I’m thinking about though: I’ll be shocked if Petro isn’t given another offer he simply can’t refuse. I don’t know which high level squad will be looking, and I have zero doubt he enjoys working alongside Gary, but let’s be real: Petro is at the top of any AD’s list.

Ok. That being said, Syracuse looks to be set for the next three years. The offense will be very tough to defend, and many competitors lose senior defense after this season. Among Spallina, Hiltz, Thomson, and Leo, Gary has a legit Memorial Day squad for three years.
You're thinking he get hired as the head guy, right?

Put another way, if you were a 4th year, youth lacrosse coach, with some decent amount of coaching effort to get better via practical lax info research (just still not anywhere close to lacrosse knowledge as a FL thread poster :lol: , would you call that Syracuse Defense, a thing to admire and want to mimic ?

Chicks love our sticks. And, they care where those sticks are placed. GOOD defense , does too.

Have no idea what Power 5, even means. Must be a gambling /fantasy thing.

if, by power 5, you mean "laxmasons". Have at it, what lacrosse program is he most likely headed ?

Maybe Columbia (Ivy) will finally they/them (man) up, and get a team. Who better than Petro ? Going home to the island, even. Edit to add, and being serious with the curiousness. Columbia does have a IVy womens program. #22's dad, coaches womens lacrosse, yes ? Maybe he has had conversations with Gary about it. Or coach Spallina ? green....it all spends the same.
, strongly suggest you coach both sexes. Even for only a season.

UNC, is the only logical laxmason choice, imho.
Last edited by runrussellrun on Sun Apr 23, 2023 11:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
ILM...Independent Lives Matter
Pronouns: "we" and "suck"
Finster

Post by Finster »

runrussellrun wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2023 11:48 am

Put another way, if you were a 4th year, youth lacrosse coach, with some decent amount of coaching effort to get better via practical lax info research (just still not anywhere close to lacrosse knowledge as a FL thread poster :lol: , would you call that Syracuse Defense, a thing to admire and want to mimic ?

Chicks love our sticks. And, they care where those sticks are placed. GOOD defense , does too.

if, by power 5, you mean "laxmasons". Have at it, what lacrosse program is he most likely headed ?

Maybe Columbia (Ivy) will finally they/them (man) up, and get a team. Who better than Petro ? Going home to the island, even.

Yeah but, you can only do so much with what you’re given… Not to mention I think UVA is averaging 19/game with that offense.

Your bigger beef should be ‘who’s allowing Tiffany to stockpile so much talent he can’t even allow his freshmen to play’ lol.
HGK

Post by HGK »

I don’t think Gait’s pedigree as a champion is in question. Player check. Assistant coach check. At some point i bet the head coach box gets checked.
runrussellrun

Post by runrussellrun »

Finster wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2023 11:51 am
runrussellrun wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2023 11:48 am

Maybe Columbia (Ivy) will finally they/them (man) up, and get a team. Who better than Petro ? Going home to the island, even.

Yeah but, you can only do so much with what you’re given… Not to mention I think UVA is averaging 19/game with that offense.

Your bigger beef should be ‘who’s allowing Tiffany to stockpile so much talent he can’t even allow his freshmen to play’ lol.
You can't spell winning a Final Founders....I mean Four, without that PG league, now can we ;)
ILM...Independent Lives Matter
Pronouns: "we" and "suck"
ICGrad

Post by ICGrad »

Excuse my ignorance: What is Power 5 in reference to lacrosse? Big10, ACC, Ivy, Patriot, Big East?
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

ICGrad wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2023 12:03 pm Excuse my ignorance: What is Power 5 in reference to lacrosse? Big10, ACC, Ivy, Patriot, Big East?
When Petro said it I believe he meant exclusively Big Ten or ACC. But if a new SEC, Big 12, or Pac 12 program started up that would probably qualify as well.
Chousnake

Post by Chousnake »

So if an Ivy job opened, Petro would turn it down? I don't think so. I don't see him getting a job in the ACC, Big 10, or Ivy League in any event. He's going to need to take a job in another conference if he wants to be a head coach.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Chousnake wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2023 12:36 pm So if an Ivy job opened, Petro would turn it down? I don't think so. I don't see him getting a job in the ACC, Big 10, or Ivy League in any event. He's going to need to take a job in another conference if he wants to be a head coach.
Yes, I don't think he would be that interested in an Ivy job. He's talked about this publicly in interviews. Maybe he was BSing but it's what he said. Given how he clashed with the administration at Hopkins in the second half of his tenure, I'm not sure he'd want to risk having a similar experience at an Ivy school. He seemed pretty adamant that if he were to be a head coach again he'd want it to be in a big-time P5 athletic department. But again, things change so maybe he's evolved his thinking on that since he was last asked.
Chousnake

Post by Chousnake »

HopFan16 wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2023 12:44 pm
Chousnake wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2023 12:36 pm So if an Ivy job opened, Petro would turn it down? I don't think so. I don't see him getting a job in the ACC, Big 10, or Ivy League in any event. He's going to need to take a job in another conference if he wants to be a head coach.
Yes, I don't think he would be that interested in an Ivy job. He's talked about this publicly in interviews. Maybe he was BSing but it's what he said. Given how he clashed with the administration at Hopkins in the second half of his tenure, I'm not sure he'd want to risk having a similar experience at an Ivy school. He seemed pretty adamant that if he were to be a head coach again he'd want it to be in a big-time P5 athletic department. But again, things change so maybe he's evolved his thinking on that since he was last asked.
Then he's not likely getting a HC job that he would take.
a fan

Post by a fan »

If you're an AD at those three conferences with an opening, you're not going to interview Pietramala?
CU77

Post by CU77 »

Nope. Why? See all those offers collected by Cottle and Starsia? That's the model.
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

a fan wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2023 3:43 pm
If you're an AD at those three conferences with an opening, you're not going to interview Pietramala?
I think question more is what jobs in those leagues are opening?

ACC: UVA isn't for decade+. Cuse I'd say unlikely within 5 years. Duke may within 5 years but I don't think they hire outside that circle. Notre Dame *maybe. The one that could is UNC.

B1G: Maryland no. Hopkins no. Penn State looked possible before this year but now no. Rutgers isn't. Ohio State had a bad year but Myers just got an extension. So did Conry. Seems unlikely within 5 years.

Ivy: Cornell no. Yale no. Princeton I'd be very, very surprised. Harvard I think very unlikely unless Byrne left for, say, maybe Notre Dame. Penn no unless Murphy left for, say, maybe Duke. Petro isn't taking Dartmouth. Brown maybe?

So you're left with UNC and maybe Brown? Obviously things change. Stuff can happen. But we've just come off a lot of major coaching changes at these big jobs. Tillman got Maryland in 2011. Tiffany got UVA in 2017. Milliman got Hopkins in 2021. Gait got Cuse in 2022. Just don't really feel like the openings are there for Petro to get one of these jobs and if he has to wait for 5 years...then he becomes 60 years old and 60 year old Petro probably ain't where you're going.
Chousnake

Post by Chousnake »

a fan wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2023 3:43 pm
I see those jobs going to younger candidates rather than a coach pushing 60 years old who has not coached a serious title contender in a decade.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”